Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter + Gefen HDMI Detective = 3D on Samsung HL61A750 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 678 Old 08-15-2010, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, so I got 3D working with sound but I've run into another problem. Everything works fine up until I go to turn off my PS3 and my TV. When I turn them back on, I get no sound through HDMI, but the 3D is still able to be used. The only way to get sound back is to remove the 3D adapter from the HDMI Detective and hook it up directly to the TV, reset the video settings on the PS3 and get the TV not compatible message from the 3D adapter, then hook the 3D adapter back up to the HDMI Detective and reset the video settings again on my PS3. That is just way too much work just to get the sound back, especially when I'll have to do that everytime I turn the PS3 off and then on again later. Is there a way to fix this? I'm using the EDID from a WD-73838.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 678 Old 08-15-2010, 08:48 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_C_Rawls View Post

Well I am happy to say that I got it working now. Used a WD-73838 from Fry's. Hooked it up using Jim's method. Got the message for a 3D display from my PS3. FINALLY!!! Now I can enjoy all the 3D goodness.

Sorry but I am a newbie here - can I get this to work on my PS3 and my Sammy DLP A750?

I want to avoid buying the Panny player that supports Checkerboard being I already have the PS3.

I also have Cablevision.

Thx,

Bob
post #273 of 678 Old 08-15-2010, 09:00 AM

Yes this will work with an A750. There is a problem with losing sound after you turn everything off and then back on. We're working on fixing it now.
post #274 of 678 Old 08-15-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_C_Rawls View Post

Yes this will work with an A750. There is a problem with losing sound after you turn everything off and then back on. We're working on fixing it now.

Thanks!

Bob
post #275 of 678 Old 08-15-2010, 09:32 AM

OKay, so I shaved a couple of steps off the getting sound back through HDMI after turning the equipment off and back on again. What I'm doing is unplugging the 3D adapter from the Gefen and plugging it directly into the TV. This restores sound. Once sound is restored, I plug the 3D adapter back into the Gefen, wait a few seconds, and then plug the Gefen back into the TV. This restores the sound through HDMI from the PS3 to the TV. This also reveals that it is the Gefen causing the problem of losing sound. I'm going to try plugging the power adapter into the Gefen and seeing if it'll keep sound when I turn everything off. Will post back with results.
post #276 of 678 Old 08-15-2010, 09:40 AM

No dice on leaving the power adapter in the Gefen. You still lose sound through HDMI from the PS3 to the TV when you turn the PS3 and TV off and then back on later. Gonna go to Gefen and see if I can get some answers.
post #277 of 678 Old 08-15-2010, 10:23 AM

Quick update...I was able to get the 3d working yesterday! Went to my buddie's, cloned his mits (which was not on the 3da-1 'officially' supported list by the way), plugged the Gefen between the TV and 3da-1, saw the 3d light turn on immediately, switched to input on TV and 3d is finally mine!

Couple of observations, all of the 3d channels were still greyed out when I first hooked the gefen up. I was able to view the programs with no problem, but when I selected record, a warning message popped up saying that 'this receiver is not able to view 3d, record anyway?' I then turned the tv off and D*, unplugged the gefen from TV, did a reset on the D*, plugged the gefen back in and turned the TV back on, and 'wahlah', the channels were no longer greyed out and 3d still working perfectly.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help!

Will do some more testing later and try and incorporate my Denon 2809ci.
post #278 of 678 Old 08-15-2010, 03:37 PM

Okay, found a quicker method to get sound back over HDMI from the PS3 after turning everything off and then back on later. Just unplug the Gefen from the TV and then unplug the 3D adapter from the Gefen. Wait a few seconds and then plug the 3D Adapter back into the Gefen. Wait a few more seconds and then plug the Gefen back into the TV. This will restore sound from the PS3 to the TV via HDMI. No need to plug the 3D adapter back into the TV first. I think I'm getting closer to having this not be an issue. Just waiting to hear back from Gefen about what I can do because the HDMI Detective is the obvious culprit in all of this.
post #279 of 678 Old 08-15-2010, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt View Post

Geaux,
Looks like we finally have someone with an 838 clone. I think your think'n what I'm think'n.
I'll check with Gefen tomorrow and get instructions for the electronic lobotomy. Then everyone may have a path to 5.1 via HDMI.
Jim

I look forward to hearing what the results are.
post #280 of 678 Old 08-16-2010, 07:58 AM

I have been able to only sit down and play with the 3d for about 2 hours total since I got it working and some observations:

The 3d is 'okay'. There is, unfortunately, some HEAVY ghosting going on. I am very sensitive to this due to my line of work, but this is pretty bad. The wife even commented on it, so it is very noticeable. I have tried 3d mode 1 and 2 setting on the Sammy. Along with Movie/Standard/Dynamic.

There is a loud 'pop' that seems to recur on an inconsistent basis. Not sure what exactly is going on with this.

The 3d mode setting on the the Sammy has to be set every time. Not too big a deal.

Now, I am not sure if there are some additional settings that I need to tweak, just wanted to throw out my first impressions. I will continue messing with things, but I am seriously considering sending everything back. This was a significant investment for me (close to $700), so I was expecting a lot. Just my two pennies
post #281 of 678 Old 08-16-2010, 10:33 AM

going by reports they say to set hdmi input to pc mode and this solves a lot of problems
post #282 of 678 Old 08-16-2010, 11:12 AM

Guys in stuck to get 3d.. I'm in the step where you have to change to 3d mode with the remote control, I don't have the tv remote. If nessecary I'm about to buy one. Any advice
post #283 of 678 Old 08-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Buy a Harmony remote. It will have that command, and control everything else you own, too.
post #284 of 678 Old 08-16-2010, 11:37 AM

Hi,
I am getting a lot of PMs for instructions on getting the Samsung TVs up and running in 3d using the Mit's 3da-1 adapter and the Gefen HDMI Detective Plus. The steps are in this thread, but scattered. The following is just a compilation. Right now, it works fine with DirecTv. PS3 as a source works fine with a minor problem with the sound having to be reset. Cable source should work, but there is not much in the thread due to lack of programing. This is a compilation of work of many, spending many hours. Thanks, and a special thanks to Kevin and Geaux.
Some of the following steps and settings have been modified by some and work fine, also. My steps are for getting the system working using DirecTv as a source only: First, in direcTv setup, change the guide "Favorite Channels: from "Channels I get" to "All channels".

1. First you need to clone your Gefen HDMI Detective Plus. Find a 3d ready Mit's DLP.
You will follow the Gefen instructions. All 4 dip switches off. Write protect
switch in E enable. Plug the output of the Gefen into any of the Mit's HDMI inputs,
with the TV on. Plug in the Gefen power supply to the Gefen. Don't program yet.
2. Look at the screen of the Mit's TV. It will probably go to a screen and read, "New
Connection Found" you need to name the connection and then save it. Any name
that will cause a 1080p output is ok. HDMI 2 is OK. The exception is if you are cloning
a Mit's series 833, name the connection "Game". (If you don't get the New Connection
screen its probably already named HDMI, just go ahead with the clone.)
3. Now go ahead with the clone, push the Gefen program button, hold till solid green
starts to flash, release. Green light turns solid, your done. Disconnect power supply,
write protect switch to disable. Disconnect from Mit's. (Sometimes you have to power
off and on that Mit's or unplug replug the HDMI they had plugged in to get their
picture back. Mentioned so nobody panics.)
4. Now, flip switch #4 on the Gefen on and leave it that way.
5. Now your Samsung TV. Go into menu/source list/edit name. Unless you are using a PC
as a source, rename HDMI-3/PC to HDMI-3/STB Satellite. This is optional, but
makes switching back and forth from 3d to 2d, quicker and cleaner.
6. Go into the setup menu of the D*. Make sure 1080p is checked. I also check 720p
and 1080i. I use Native off. As long as at least 1080p is checked, it should be fine.
(D* now advises Native off, only 1080p checked.) People with the faster HR24-series
tend to use Native on.
7. Now connect the 3da-1 following the instructions. Even though I am using DLP Link
glasses which don't use an emmitter, I connected the sync cable between the TV and
the 3da-1. Don't know if it necessary, but can't hurt. TV is on and using HDMI-3.
8. Do a reset of the DVR. Takes awhile. After everything is on, turn to channel 103 and
you should get an error message. The following steps are the most important!
9. Disconnect HDMI input, output and power to 3da-1 . Wait 1 minute. Plug in power
and HDMI in (From DVR) of 3da-1. Wait 30 seconds. Plug HDMI out of 3da-1 into
HDMI-3 of TV.
Disconnect 3da-1 from TV HDMI-3 and plug the HDMI out of
3da-1 into IN of Gefen (Nothing is connected to TV HDMI-3 or TV at this step.)
The green light of the Gefen should be lit, wait at least 30 seconds. Now, plug
the Gefen HDMI out, into the TV's HDMI-3 and wait several seconds. A 3d picture
picure should appear.

10 Hopefully, you will have a checkerboard picture at this point. With the Samsung
remote, press tools. On the tv screen, the tool menu appears and the top item
should be 3d=off. Press left on remote to mode 2. With the glasses on, switch
between mode 2 and 1 and choose the mode that looks best for you. That's it, but
when you change channels from 2d to 3d, you may have to turn on the 3d via
the tools menu. Most of the time mine changes automatically. If you did not get a
checkerboard picture when you did the last HDMI connection, and you got a LR
or top bottom 3d picture, you can push the mode button of the 3da-1 to get the
checkerboard format. Do not turn the 3da-1 off. You will have to redo the
cable connections of step #9, above.

If you reset your DVR or get a software update or even a power outage, you will have to do the cable swaps of step #9.

You will only be getting stereo through the TV after above steps. You can easily connect the digital audio out of the DVR to the digital in of a AV receiver. During the next to last connection of step #9, you will hear the audio from your stereo system after a few seconds. That is a good sign that you will be successful getting 3d with the next step
Many posters are working at getting 1.4 AVRs to work correctly via HDMI connection only. For now, the sound drops to 2.0 for most. We are working this out and hope to have a fix soon.
The PS3 loses audio after power cycling. There is post above for the easiest fix which requires a quick cable connect/reconnect. Post 278.

Troubleshooting:
DirecTv specific.."Channels are still greyed out, whats wrong." Try the channels anyway, sometimes it takes the guide awhile to catch
up. On one occasion, they didn't, and I had someone reset the D* reciever and wait for the guide download as
well as the guide rebuild. Very soon, he reported everything working!
Can't get any 3d channels in Guide,103,104,105, 106. Maybe you missed the sentence just above step 1.
"I get the 3d channels, except 105."...105 is only a shortcut to 3d VOD channels. You need to be networked and getting
regular 2d VOD, before 105 shows up. For now D* only lets you get to 3d VOD via channel 105. This releaves tech calls
from non 3d customers.
Addendum's:
(1) Some have reported ghosting, which was cured by setting Samsung HDMI-3 to PC.
Primarily PS3.

Anyone that notices an error above or something to add or clearer verbage, please PM me so I can get it right...
JIM
post #285 of 678 Old 08-16-2010, 12:40 PM

Is there a recommended remote control that I can easily find at best buy or some retail store . I only need it for 3d mode so cheaper price is better
post #286 of 678 Old 08-16-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt View Post

2. Look at the screen of the Mit's TV. It will probably go to a screen and read, "New
Connection Found" you need to name the connection and then save it. Any name
that will cause a 1080p output is ok. HDMI 2 is OK. The exception is if you are cloning
a Mit's series 833, name the connection "Game". (If you don't get the New Connection
screen its probably already named HDMI, just go ahead with the clone.)

Just to add another data point on this... I did notice that the TV I cloned (82738) had the New connection screen but I didnt name it or anything. This worked fine for my setup...
post #287 of 678 Old 08-16-2010, 03:00 PM

Thanks Cruppel
Your right many did the same thing, including myself untill I recloned. It's from the Mit's users manual, so I included it. May make a difference with other sources as we proceed. Probably not necessary, but shouldn't hurt.
JIM
post #288 of 678 Old 08-17-2010, 03:35 AM

I think I might have found a temporary workaround for the no audio issue I and other people are having, I used a splitter after the 3da-1. So the output of the 3da-1 goes into the splitters input, then the gefen goes into output 1, and my Samsung goes in output 2 of the splitter. I only had a couple minutes to test it atm, but I was able to power cycle everything at random and got audio back every time w/o issue. This is the splitter I used http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...#specification If anyone can test this to see if they have the same outcome.

Jeff
post #289 of 678 Old 08-17-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1303 View Post

I think I might have found a temporary workaround for the no audio issue I and other people are having, I used a splitter after the 3da-1. So the output of the 3da-1 goes into the splitters input, then the gefen goes into output 1, and my Samsung goes in output 2 of the splitter. I only had a couple minutes to test it atm, but I was able to power cycle everything at random and got audio back every time w/o issue. This is the splitter I used http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...#specification If anyone can test this to see if they have the same outcome.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, I'd like to try this. Are you using a PS3 as your 3D device? That's where I'm running into problems with losing audio. I know it can't be the 3D adapter because if I unplug it from the Gefen and plug it directly into my samsung, the sound works fine. Let me know how it's working for you and I'll see if I can order a splitter or go find one at a retail store. Thanks.
post #290 of 678 Old 08-17-2010, 01:25 PM

I have a PS3 and Comcast dcx3200 box, they go through a switch then to the 3da-1. The problem with the audio seems to be when the gefen is used with the 3da-1, If I use either one w/o the other the audio is fine.

Jeff
post #291 of 678 Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1303 View Post

Jeff

Did you have 5.1 audio or only 2.0?

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #292 of 678 Old 08-17-2010, 01:41 PM

If I can dig up another hdmi cable, I'll run it through my Onkyo and let you know.

Jeff
post #293 of 678 Old 08-17-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

Did you have 5.1 audio or only 2.0?

I was only able to get 2.0 but I might have an reason why. This is the Edid from the 3da-1, it says it only supports 2 channel lpcm, so that is what it is reporting to the equip that is hooked to it.

Jeff
LL
post #294 of 678 Old 08-17-2010, 03:26 PM

Jeff,
Very good info. Is the 3da-1 attached in anyway to the Gefen or Samsung when you read the EDID of the 3da-1???
Excuse any ignorant questions, it's a bit over my pay grade..
If they are connected, which I hope they are, maybe the TV's 2.0 limited audio causes the 3da-1 to report that EDID info. Also, the Gefen, if cloned from a 2.0 audio Mit's.
If, this happens to be the case, a Mit's clone we are working on which is distributable, is 5.1 compliant.
Also, I don't spell well, and am old enough not to care..
Stay with us with that EDID reader.
Thanks, JIM
post #295 of 678 Old 08-17-2010, 03:38 PM

ookii B,
What series Samsung do you have. I hope it is a 750 which has a LED light source.
I, unfortunately, have a 72" 650. The loud pops can be a sign of a big problem. Mine was doing it regularly, but not so much lately. A friend had the exact same model as mine and lasted only 40 days from new.
Bad power board. Samsung didn't have any more at the time and swapped him out for a LCD flatscreen, much smaller.
There are many problems with some of the Samsung's, which can cost more than a new Mit's, if the parts are even available.
The non LED models don't like to be turned on frequently, especially very soon after shutdown. You can extend what life is left by limiting startup and lower picture settings. Refer to threads specific to your model.
Re: The ghosting, havent heard anyone else with that problem. Mine is pretty sharp
I don't know for sure if the LED's are problem free, just an assumption.
JIM
post #296 of 678 Old 08-17-2010, 04:13 PM

My gefen was attached to the 3da-1, but the cloned mits that I used supports AC-3 6 channel and LPCM 2 channel (screenshot below). I cloned from a Mits WD-73738. Not sure if Mits made the 3da-1 to only support 2 channel audio so they have no compatibility issues w/ there older sets.

Jeff

PS...My spelling sucks as well, My only saving grace is the little red line that shows up when I spelled something wrong.
LL
post #297 of 678 Old 08-17-2010, 05:25 PM

This is ridiculous. Why am I trying so hard to support a company that turned it's back on me? I'm selling the sammy and buying a mitsu. They a fairly inexpensive on amazon.
post #298 of 678 Old 08-17-2010, 05:40 PM

I'm using a 750 LED series and I don't get any of the popping or ghosting issues previously mentioned. It probably is just a problem with the 650 series not using LED as the lighting source.

As for the splitter, Jeff, I think I'm understanding that your using it as a means to split the signal coming from the 3D adapter. So your not hooking the Gefen up to the TV, your hooking the TV up to the splitter with the Gefen in a different output. So the Gefen is still transmitting the Mits EDID to the 3D adapter even though it is not directly in line between the 3D adapter and the TV? Hmm, if that is working for you, I think I better give it a try. Do you think any HDMI splitter will work for this process?
post #299 of 678 Old 08-17-2010, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Unless the splitter has a confituratiion options that alows you to force the EDID data from the GEFEN to the spliters input connection it will not work.
post #300 of 678 Old 08-17-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

jpt1303,

What program is allowing you to read the EDID information and how does it work? Thanks.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page