Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter + Gefen HDMI Detective = 3D on Samsung HL61A750 - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 03:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Unless the splitter has a confituratiion options that alows you to force the EDID data from the GEFEN to the spliters input connection it will not work.

I think the splitter clones the EDID of whatever is connected to output 1 and uses it as its own. At least this is how it worked when it was connected to my PC. I had my Samsung TV connected to output 1 and my monitor connected to output 2, even when my TV was powered off windows still said it was connected to the TV and not my monitor.

Geaux Tigers,

I'm using Moninfo you can find it here http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm I'm using my laptop with a hdmi port, just hook w/e device you want to read to the port and then run the program. It will give you info the the built in monitor and the hdmi connected device.

Mr_C_Rawls,

Not sure if any splitter will work, but mine seems to clone the EDID of w/e is connected to output 1 (do all splitters work that way?), and yes nothing is connected to the output of the gefen.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1303 View Post

Not sure if any splitter will work, but mine seems to clone the EDID of w/e is connected to output 1 (do all splitters work that way?)

No, they work in a variety of ways, but unfortunately it seems to be very hard to determine what they do without purchasing them first. I have an older 1x2 Monoprice splitter that worked as you described: The EDID of whatever was connected to port 1 was stored and that was what was reported back to the source, regardless of what was connected to port 2. the problem with that type of splitter is that it becomes possible to send a signal to the splitter that not all the devices connected to it can support. Of course, it's not a REAL issue if you understand what's going on and don't set your output device to send a signal that port 2 can't handle, if you want to use port 2. But in the interest in becoming more "customer friendly", it seems many if not most distribution amps today generate their own unique EDID that is derived from what capabilities all connected devices have in common.

Even though my old splitter has the now desirable port 1 cloning, it won't work with the 3d adapter. It's just too old. It's not even 1.3 capable. It won't handle audio, and trying to send 3d through it results in no output.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #303 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If the 3da-1 limits output to 2 channels, then a HDMI 1.4 AVR would seem to be a must for any 5.1 output on 3D bluray, correct? Unless of course it uses dual hdmi outputs, like the panny that does checkerboard. The workaround for D* is to run a seperate Toslink audio connection to AVR since it only uses standard dolby 5.1.

I imagine that the 3da-1 would be placed between the AVR and TV in this case. The AVR could do all the switching between 3D sources also.

I'm still holding off for awhile until a better solution presents itself. Fingers crossed that a Samsung specific solution comes along that is easier to implement.
post #304 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Darin,
If your old splitter handles 1080p HDMI HD with sound content why do you think it is not handling 3D SbS or TnB formats which uses 1080p resolution frames?
post #305 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt View Post

ookii B,
What series Samsung do you have. I hope it is a 750 which has a LED light source.
I, unfortunately, have a 72" 650. The loud pops can be a sign of a big problem. Mine was doing it regularly, but not so much lately. A friend had the exact same model as mine and lasted only 40 days from new.
Bad power board. Samsung didn't have any more at the time and swapped him out for a LCD flatscreen, much smaller.
There are many problems with some of the Samsung's, which can cost more than a new Mit's, if the parts are even available.
The non LED models don't like to be turned on frequently, especially very soon after shutdown. You can extend what life is left by limiting startup and lower picture settings. Refer to threads specific to your model.
Re: The ghosting, havent heard anyone else with that problem. Mine is pretty sharp
I don't know for sure if the LED's are problem free, just an assumption.
JIM

Ok, now I'm concerned. I have the 67a750 with the LED light source. The pops happen when I am viewing 3d content. I have not tested to see if the problem persists while watching standard 2d content. I have two D* boxes, one of which has now become the 3d only box for the time being. I hope this is not an indicator of bad times on the horizon!

Quote:

I'm using a 750 LED series and I don't get any of the popping or ghosting issues previously mentioned. It probably is just a problem with the 650 series not using LED as the lighting source.

No ghosting at all? Again, this may be pointing at a problem with my particular set, which is not good. Perhaps there is a convergence issue? When I first purchased the set, I went through several calibration tests and everything seemed spot on afterward. Hopefully I can find some time between now and the weekend to dig up my calib. discs and do some testing.

Thank you all for the responses!
post #306 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Darin,
If your old splitter handles 1080p HDMI HD with sound content why do you think it is not handling 3D SbS or TnB formats which uses 1080p resolution frames?

No, that's the problem, it DOESN'T handle 1080p with sound. It's only a 1.2 switch, and other user reviews of this switch @ Monoprice confirm that it won't pass audio. My recollection (from when I had this switch in service) was that it actually would pass a 1080p signal with NO audio (at the time, I had it downstream of my AVR, which was set to not pass audio to the display). I'm really not sure why it's not just providing video but no audio. But when put either upstream of the 3Da-1, or downstream of it, nothing comes out. I presume that 1080p PLUS audio is just too much for it.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #307 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1303 View Post

I was only able to get 2.0 but I might have an reason why. This is the Edid from the 3da-1, it says it only supports 2 channel lpcm, so that is what it is reporting to the equip that is hooked to it.

Jeff

If this is the case, then those of us with 1.3 receivers might be out of luck (unless you are lucky, and your 1.3 receiver just happens to pass 3D content without issue). If the source is ostensibly seeing the EDID of the 3D-A1, not the Gefen, then even cloning an 838 series wouldn't solve this. This would also mean that those people who buy an 838 series TV won't be able to use the built-in surround sound if they have the 3D-A1 adapter hooked up, so seems like a gaffe on Mitsu's part.

We should probably check out the 838 forum to see if they are having issues with 3D and no surround sound (in the unlikely event that they're actually using the TV's built-in surround sound...)

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #308 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat68 View Post

I was thinking of getting the adapter and HDMI device for my Sammy but I want to be able to get sound through the HDMI cable. Any thoughts before I do the buy?

I use a Panny 3d -330 model. It passes checkerboard and has a second hdmi out for audio. Many new 3d players will be offering the double hdmi outputs so you can use one for video and one for audio. You do lose the amp/rec video selector. The adapter is not even needed for the mits tv when output is checkerboard. Panny is the only player I know of that outputs checkerboard though, there may be others. Maybe sammy is the same, I have heard Mits and Sammy were using similar 3d.

My review of the mits kit is ... no problems, worked like a charm. But I did not have anything to comapre it to. It just worked with no glitches yet with Cloudy w/... 3d.
post #309 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 99
Ok so I just found out about this and here's what I know to get,

Mitsu 3-DA1 adaptor
Gefen HDMI detective
a pair of "DLP-Link" glasses.

2 questions. How do I know which glasses are DLP-Link when the dummies at the store have no idea what that means? I need advice on which glasses to get.

And #2, are there any sites that sell the gefen pre programmed at this point?

Sony KDL-70R550A
Denon x4000 (o)c (0)
Klipsch RF-62IIs
Klipsch RC-62II
Polk T15s
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d
post #310 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 09:59 AM

FYI, I sent this e-mail to Tru3D yesterday & received the following response from Tony.

Question: Just wondering if you guys could make/sell a Samsung 3D starter kit. Either using the Mitsubishi starter kit with Gefen, or your Samsung kit with two X102\\'s & maybe say 25 batteries. Just a thought, thank you.

Answer: Yes, it is already in process. Should be online within 12-24 hours!
post #311 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

really? that's awesome! I might wait for that.

But I have a question. Someone told me in my thread (I have the same TV as Geaux except 67") that if I only want to play 3D blurays that all I need is a panny 3D bluray player and 3D receiver (which I want to get anyway) and Xpand 3D glasses and I'm good to go. Is that true? I am totally hyped to get this going and purchase and play the Cloudy 3D bluray on my TV. Just need to figure out all I need.

Sony KDL-70R550A
Denon x4000 (o)c (0)
Klipsch RF-62IIs
Klipsch RC-62II
Polk T15s
post #312 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
have the sammy 61 a750 and panny bt 350 3d player and 4 pair xpand 102 glasses. 3d works with a 3dbluray but the main problem is rainbows. see them with all 3d movies very annoying, got rid of the tv the glasses and bought the mitsubishi 73838 new model tv wiyh the mits 3d starter kit. outstanding 3d picture no rainbows and no ghosting and the glasses are smaller and lighter than the 102s
post #313 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

So you just got the BD player, glasses, and you were good to go huh? No adaptor or anything needed? I've read alot since yesterday on the HL series and I don't see much issue with rainbows. Maybe it's an issue when you don't use the adaptor and gefen?

Are there any glasses that I could get at best buy the work just like the xpand glasses? I'd really like to just rush out and get what I need right now, today just to check it out.

Sony KDL-70R550A
Denon x4000 (o)c (0)
Klipsch RF-62IIs
Klipsch RC-62II
Polk T15s
post #314 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 12:09 PM

Liked: 11
Ive tried pannybdt300 and the x102 with my sammy a750 and it
Worked great!
post #315 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTorch View Post

FYI, I sent this e-mail to Tru3D yesterday & received the following response from Tony.

Question: Just wondering if you guys could make/sell a Samsung 3D starter kit. Either using the Mitsubishi starter kit with Gefen, or your Samsung kit with two X102\\'s & maybe say 25 batteries. Just a thought, thank you.

Answer: Yes, it is already in process. Should be online within 12-24 hours!

The bundles are up. going and shipping!

http://www.tru3d.com/3D_Accessories/3D_Converters.php
post #316 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post

really? that's awesome! I might wait for that.

But I have a question. Someone told me in my thread (I have the same TV as Geaux except 67") that if I only want to play 3D blurays that all I need is a panny 3D bluray player and 3D receiver (which I want to get anyway) and Xpand 3D glasses and I'm good to go. Is that true? I am totally hyped to get this going and purchase and play the Cloudy 3D bluray on my TV. Just need to figure out all I need.

I have read this to be true, but I bought the mits kit anyways. I can use the adapter for another use later.

With the panny 3d player, you don't have to use a 3D rec. It has 2 outputs so you can use one to tv for video and the other to rec for the sound.

I am still waiting for answer, but I have heard checkerboard 3d can pass through some 1.3 rec/amps. I would love to not have replace my Den 3808 and keep the video selector in the rec.
post #317 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Anyone know if their EDID is programmed to allow 5.1 audio?
post #318 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:

will this work thru my sammy a750 and my ps3?
post #319 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipfreely View Post

Anyone know if their EDID is programmed to allow 5.1 audio?

It appears the EDID of the 3DA-1 is at fault. The source see the 3DA-1, which only has 2 channel LPCM listed as compatible (since it's intended to only be plugged into a TV) The 3DA-1 sees the Mits EDID in the Gefen, but the source does not see that EDID. My conclusion is that EDID's suck.

post #320 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad1550 View Post

will this work thru my sammy a750 and my ps3?

From their site:

This 3D TV Adapter KIT will enable plug and play connectivity with 3D ready video sources including but not limited to the Sony PlayStation 3, 3D Blu-Ray Players, the XboX 360 and HD cable-boxes offered by Comcast, DirecTV, AT&T Uverse, Veriozon FIOS, BrightHouse Networks, SKY and others.

post #321 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by landonsdad View Post

I have read this to be true, but I bought the mits kit anyways. I can use the adapter for another use later.

With the panny 3d player, you don't have to use a 3D rec. It has 2 outputs so you can use one to tv for video and the other to rec for the sound.

I am still waiting for answer, but I have heard checkerboard 3d can pass through some 1.3 rec/amps. I would love to not have replace my Den 3808 and keep the video selector in the rec.

The Panny should work fine with most HDMI receivers.. no need to use the dual outputs when outputting in checkboard.
post #322 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:

The Panny should work fine with most HDMI receivers.. no need to use the dual outputs when outputting in checkboard.

As said above, could I be limited to just stereo sound as maybe the checkerboard signal may not transmit surround sound technologies, since it thinks it is going to a tv?
post #323 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As said above, could I be limited to just stereo sound as maybe the checkerboard signal may not transmit surround sound technologies, since it thinks it is going to a tv?

No, that's a problem with the 3DA-1 adapter which is not needed if using the Panny.

post #324 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

I picked up the panny a350 or whatever bD player and a Denon 3D capable receiver. I'm actually updating to lossless HD audio so I wanted to upgrade there anyway.

The only thing I'm missing now is the x102 pair of glasses. The magnolia guy had me try the sammy glasses just to see if they would work, I didn't expect them to, and they didn't.

Oh well I can't WAIT to get those glasses!

Sony KDL-70R550A
Denon x4000 (o)c (0)
Klipsch RF-62IIs
Klipsch RC-62II
Polk T15s
post #325 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

No, that's a problem with the 3DA-1 adapter which is not needed if using the Panny.

Great news.. I wonder if that will solve another problem I had with the panny. I had to switch my hdmi resolution output to 480p to get sound on streaming video like netflix.

Not sure if this is a mits tv or panny 3d plr issue, but netflix will not play audio in AUTO, 720, or 1080i or p modes. This will be a pain going back and forth between 480p and 1080p.

Any one else have this issue?
post #326 of 678 Old 08-18-2010, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Ok so once my Xpand glasses come here and I enjoy my first 3D Blu-ray movie at home, I'll want to start 3D gaming with the ps3.

This is basically what I need right? The one that is all set and pre-programmed?
http://www.tru3d.com/products/view_p...D%20DLP%20HDTV

If I buy this set, (and once the PS3 update for 3DBD playback comes out), will I no longer need my panny350 to play blu-ray 3D on my 750a?

Sony KDL-70R550A
Denon x4000 (o)c (0)
Klipsch RF-62IIs
Klipsch RC-62II
Polk T15s
post #327 of 678 Old 08-19-2010, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookii B View Post

No ghosting at all? Again, this may be pointing at a problem with my particular set, which is not good. Perhaps there is a convergence issue? When I first purchased the set, I went through several calibration tests and everything seemed spot on afterward. Hopefully I can find some time between now and the weekend to dig up my calib. discs and do some testing.

Nope, no ghosting, and if your convergence is OK in 2D it should also apply to 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny 21 View Post

have the sammy 61 a750 and panny bt 350 3d player and 4 pair xpand 102 glasses. 3d works with a 3dbluray but the main problem is rainbows. see them with all 3d movies very annoying, got rid of the tv the glasses and bought the mitsubishi 73838 new model tv wiyh the mits 3d starter kit. outstanding 3d picture no rainbows and no ghosting and the glasses are smaller and lighter than the 102s

You never tried the 102s on anything but the Samsung DLP, correct? It appears that this particular rainbow effect is Samsung specific. I have the same issue but it doesn't bother me at all. Also, I've used the same glasses on Mitsubishi displays and saw no rainbows.

Quote:

I use a Pioneer VSX-1018AH and have no issues with 3D video or HD sound codecs. If you have an AVR that processes video you might need to connect the second 300/350 HDMI output directly to your display.

Quote:

Great news.. I wonder if that will solve another problem I had with the panny. I had to switch my hdmi resolution output to 480p to get sound on streaming video like netflix.

Not sure if this is a mits tv or panny 3d plr issue, but netflix will not play audio in AUTO, 720, or 1080i or p modes. This will be a pain going back and forth between 480p and 1080p.

Any one else have this issue?

No.

Buzz

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #328 of 678 Old 08-19-2010, 02:36 PM

Im still having issues with getting 3D on my Samsung hlt56 . The tools Button on my remote doesn't do anything and when I hit the 3d button i get an error message from my samsung tv that says "not available" and goes back to the samsung error "not supported mode" also whenever I plug in the 3d converter straight into the tv and I check my d' tv settings 1080p is greyed out and it says "tv not supported" . Any suggestions or tips would be welcomed , and thanks
post #329 of 678 Old 08-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Waiting for some genius to strip the EDID out of the Mits adapter...
post #330 of 678 Old 08-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

Waiting for some genius to strip the EDID out of the Mits adapter...

Been done already. Post #293, this thread.

Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page