Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter + Gefen HDMI Detective = 3D on Samsung HL61A750 - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 679 Old 06-16-2011, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FronzDan View Post

Ohh well that makes a little more sense then. It seemed unlikely that it was the Gefen, from what I understood it's purpose was. I thought for sure it was the 3DA-1...and when the new one didn't work i was worried it was the Sammy. Any idea what was done to the 3DA-1 by tru3D?

I guess i'll just have to keep trying to get them to replace it.

I'm not sure what they did to them I just know a stock 3DA-1 will not go into 3D if it doesn't see a proper mits PnP ID in the EDID. According to their website they reprogrammed them but it could be a hardware mod. Pop the cover off and take a look to see if anything was soldered on that may have come loose from switching cables.

I've heard mixed reviews of Tru3D tech support, people either seem to love them or hate them. Does your friend with the 3DA-1 have a mits 3D TV to test your 3DA-1 on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 679 Old 06-16-2011, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought the panny 3d player since it sends checkerboard out and therefore I did not need mits device. I also can run it through my Denon 3808 1.3a rec. I do use the emitter and the glasses from kit.

Question

I have 3 mits kits glasses but was wondering what other glasses I can use that might be better/cheaper/lighter/ or chargeable.

Options and why please..

Also, my cable box sends out an over/under pic, from it's 3d channel, to my tv, also through Denon. If I put the mits device between Denon and tv will it fix this and not hurt my current setup?
post #633 of 679 Old 06-16-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by landonsdad View Post

I bought the panny 3d player since it sends checkerboard out and therefore I did not need mits device. I also can run it through my Denon 3808 1.3a rec. I do use the emitter and the glasses from kit.

Question

I have 3 mits kits glasses but was wondering what other glasses I can use that might be better/cheaper/lighter/ or chargeable.

Options and why please..

Also, my cable box sends out an over/under pic, from it's 3d channel, to my tv, also through Denon. If I put the mits device between Denon and tv will it fix this and not hurt my current setup?

Check out the comments in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post20409785

around $50 per pair.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #634 of 679 Old 06-17-2011, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This simple procedure appears to unlock the Mits 3DC-1000 / 3DA-1 so it works with the Samsung sets!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post20584508
post #635 of 679 Old 06-19-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

EASY WAY TO GET YOUR 3DA-1 TO WORK WITH YOUR SAMSUNG 3D READY DLP WITH NO MODIFICATION

I did not find this solution but I am passing on the information. These are the steps involved:

1. Power off the adapter (leave everything plugged in and connected)
2. Press and hold the 3D Mode button then press and hold the Power button
3. Observe the 3D status light until it blinks. You want it to blink once, if it blinks twice (5 seconds apart) then restart at step 1.
4. After you get the unit to blink once, release the Power button then release the 3D Mode button.

This will remove the EDID restrictions of the 3DA-1. There is no need to flash an HDMI port of your HDTV and the Gefen HDMI Detective can be removed. The audio is still limited to 2.0 if you are using an HDMI 1.3 AVR in the chain rather than directly connecting the 3DA-1 to your Samsung 3D ready DLP. That was my experience going from a DirecTV HR24-500 to an Onkyo TX-SR805 HDMI 1.3 AVR to a Samsung HL61A750. I am using a Toslink cable to give me 5.1 from the HR24-500. Everything is the same except I was able to completely remove my Gefen HDMI Detective from my system. I also had to pull the power from the 3DA-1 to re-establish the 3D connection to the 3DA-1.

This solution it appears was found by accident and all the credit goes to the posters here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1341216&page=2
post #636 of 679 Old 06-21-2011, 10:21 AM

I just acquired a Mits 73" TV (WD73833) that was made in 2007. I called Mits and they are sending me a USB Firmware upgrade I assume to get the 3D to work properly. I also just received a Panasonic DMP-BDT 310 3D Blu-ray player that I believe does 3D in checkerboard. Do I need to connect/run the Blu-ray player through the MITS -3D starter kit or can I just use the emitter & 3D glasses with the Panasonic to capture a 3D image? This system is not currently hooked up but in a few weeks when my room is done I want to connect all my components up to this Mits 73" DLP TV, so any help at this point will be appreciated.
post #637 of 679 Old 06-21-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tao View Post

I just acquired a Mits 73" TV (WD73833) that was made in 2007. I called Mits and they are sending me a USB Firmware upgrade I assume to get the 3D to work properly. I also just received a Panasonic DMP-BDT 310 3D Blu-ray player that I believe does 3D in checkerboard. Do I need to connect/run the Blu-ray player through the MITS -3D starter kit or can I just use the emitter & 3D glasses with the Panasonic to capture a 3D image? This system is not currently hooked up but in a few weeks when my room is done I want to connect all my components up to this Mits 73" DLP TV, so any help at this point will be appreciated.

The Panasonic DMP-BDT310 will give you the option to send out a 3D Checkerboard Signal. I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT300 that sends out a 3D Checkerboard Signal. You will not the run the DMP-BDT310 through the converter as all the converter does is convert the signal to 3D Checkerbord. However, you will need the converter to view other programing in 3D such as that provided by DirecTV or cable. Good Luck.
post #638 of 679 Old 06-21-2011, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We now need someone to modify the EDID free 3DA-1 to output all audio codecs where we are not limited to 2.0. If a person does that then I will humbly refer to that person as "The Man".
post #639 of 679 Old 06-21-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

We now need someone to modify the EDID free 3DA-1 to output all audio codecs where we are not limited to 2.0. If a person does that then I will humbly refer to that person as "The Man".

We almost need an new thread dedicated to just this issue.

I tried the reset last night with my samsung 3D-1S. It works the same. I am able to pass 3D through my Onkyo 805. I am also able to pass dts that is streamed from ps3media servier through my ps3. The adapter will not pass dolby digital, aac5.1, or flac stramed as 5.1pcm. Things can get a little confusing via ps3media server because it does tricks sending dts as if it is 2.0pcm but the receiver correctly picks it up as dts, but the ps3 does not. (and then there is the ps3 audio manipulation issues)

I also was able to send multichannel audio through the 3d-1S to the onkyo from bluray when I had the ps3 decode to PCM. It would not pass when sent as bitstream. (this makes no sense to me as multichannel pcm from ps3media server only passes 2channels)

Short story, you can pass multichannel audio. I really want a foolproof way. I could convert all my files to dts and stream, but there has to be something better than that.
post #640 of 679 Old 06-21-2011, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasterdude View Post

We almost need an new thread dedicated to just this issue.

I tried the reset last night with my samsung 3D-1S. It works the same. I am able to pass 3D through my Onkyo 805. I am also able to pass dts that is streamed from ps3media servier through my ps3. The adapter will not pass dolby digital, aac5.1, or flac stramed as 5.1pcm. Things can get a little confusing via ps3media server because it does tricks sending dts as if it is 2.0pcm but the receiver correctly picks it up as dts, but the ps3 does not. (and then there is the ps3 audio manipulation issues)

I also was able to send multichannel audio through the 3d-1S to the onkyo from bluray when I had the ps3 decode to PCM. It would not pass when sent as bitstream. (this makes no sense to me as multichannel pcm from ps3media server only passes 2channels)

Short story, you can pass multichannel audio. I really want a foolproof way. I could convert all my files to dts and stream, but there has to be something better than that.

Thanks for your informative report.
post #641 of 679 Old 06-21-2011, 10:27 PM

Correction

I need to set my PS3 to bitstream not linear pcm. When set to bitstream, I have successfully sent multichannel DTS and DD.

Perhaps for people who are going off disc based media things will work well.

Note: I had to manually set my ps3 to enable multichannel hdmi audio as autodetect only allowed 2.0.
post #642 of 679 Old 06-22-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Correction

I need to set my PS3 to bitstream not linear pcm. When set to bitstream, I have successfully sent multichannel DTS and DD.

Perhaps for people who are going off disc based media things will work well.

Note: I had to manually set my ps3 to enable multichannel hdmi audio as autodetect only allowed 2.0.

Do you have a PS3 Slim or the PS3 Original? It is my understanding that when watching a 3D Blu-ray on the PS3 that it will not output lossless audio and therefore the best you can get is DD or DTS. The PS3 down converts the audio. I have heard that the PS3 does not have enough horsepower to do both 3D and lossless audio at the same time. Based on your results it sounds like the stereo 2.0 issue may be a limitation of the DirecTV Receiver when paired with the 3DA-1. DirecTV put EDID restricions on its equipment where it would only pass a 3D signal if it found the equipment was compliant.
If DirecTV had not done this then the 3DA-1 could be placed between the AVR and the HDTV and the 3D signal would pass. Please keep us informed of your results and thanks for your work.
post #643 of 679 Old 06-22-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

We almost need an new thread dedicated to just this issue....[snip]

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1342061

Mitsubishi 3D adapter works on Samsung with NO Gefen and no EDID reprogram!

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #644 of 679 Old 06-24-2011, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

EASY WAY TO GET YOUR 3DA-1 TO WORK WITH YOUR SAMSUNG 3D READY DLP WITH NO MODIFICATION

I did not find this solution but I am passing on the information. These are the steps involved:

1. Power off the adapter (leave everything plugged in and connected)
2. Press and hold the 3D Mode button then press and hold the Power button
3. Observe the 3D status light until it blinks. You want it to blink once, if it blinks twice (5 seconds apart) then restart at step 1.
4. After you get the unit to blink once, release the Power button then release the 3D Mode button.

This will remove the EDID restrictions of the 3DA-1. There is no need to flash an HDMI port of your HDTV and the Gefen HDMI Detective can be removed. The audio is still limited to 2.0 if you are using an HDMI 1.3 AVR in the chain rather than directly connecting the 3DA-1 to your Samsung 3D ready DLP. That was my experience going from a DirecTV HR24-500 to an Onkyo TX-SR805 HDMI 1.3 AVR to a Samsung HL61A750. I am using a Toslink cable to give me 5.1 from the HR24-500. Everything is the same except I was able to completely remove my Gefen HDMI Detective from my system. I also had to pull the power from the 3DA-1 to re-establish the 3D connection to the 3DA-1.

This solution it appears was found by accident and all the credit goes to the posters here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1341216&page=2

Update - it appears Mitsubishi recently changed something in its newest manafactured 3DA-1s. Buy an older used one if you are looking for this feature.
post #645 of 679 Old 06-24-2011, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just reset my DirecTV HR24-500 receiver. My 3D programing came back after my the HR24-500 finished rebooting. I use to have to do several steps to restore the 3D programing when I was using the Gefen HDMI Detective and the 3DA-1. The 3DA-1 with the EDID restrictions removed is great.
post #646 of 679 Old 06-25-2011, 08:45 AM

I've also noticed that the checkerboard adapter works better after removing the EDID restrictions and pulling the Gefen out. It used to take me a few tries to turn on 3D mode, sometimes requiring a power cycling of the 3DC-1000. Now it just pops into 3d mode as soon as a 3d source is selected.
post #647 of 679 Old 06-26-2011, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've also noticed that the checkerboard adapter works better after removing the EDID restrictions and pulling the Gefen out. It used to take me a few tries to turn on 3D mode, sometimes requiring a power cycling of the 3DC-1000. Now it just pops into 3d mode as soon as a 3d source is selected.

Mitsubishi could have made a great product if it had not put EDID restrictions on the 3DA-1. It screwed the owners of Mitsubishi and Samsung DLP ready HDTVs that want to use an HDMI 1.3 AVR with the device. If anyone can figure out how to enable all audio codecs (7.1 DTS-HD, etc) to be passed through the 3DA-1then it will finally be a great product.
post #648 of 679 Old 07-05-2011, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I bought a used 3DC-1000 off of eBay. It has a build date of August 2010. The EDID reset removal worked perfectly on the converter. I planned on using it with my PS3 Original 60 GB. I hooked it up to the PS3 after removing the EDID restrictions. I hooked it up between my PS3 and my Onkyo TX-SR805 AVR. The AVR was hooked up to my Samsung HL61A750 HDTV. The 3DC-1000 converted the 3D to 3D Checkerboard on my PS3 without any problems. I played both 3D Blu-rays and 3D streaming from VUDU. Unfortunately, the 3DC-1000 would only pass 2.0 PCM audio. I manually reset all of the audio settings on the PS3 to pass everything but it did not change the results.

I tried this on Blu-rays, DVDs, and VUDU streaming and the audio was limited to 2.0. I tried Netflix streaming in 5.1 and amazingly it streamed the full 5.1 and my AVR showed it as being Dolby Digital 5.1. I did try plain DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 on other discs and it was still limited to 2.0. When I removed the 3DC-1000 from the PS3 it passed full surround audio once again. My Original PS3 is limited to multi channel PCM so one might have better results from a PS3 Slim. I am puzzled why the Netflix stream will pass 5.1 while nothing else will pass full surround audio.

Someone else had posted that they were able to pass 5.1 using a PS3 and a 3DA-1 but that was not my experience. I also found the 3DC-1000 to be identical to the 3DA-1 that I have owned for some time now.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding getting full surround audio out of the 3DC-1000 and a PS3 Original then I am all ears. I don't want to use the toslink connection because I do not want to give up my high resolution audio on non 3D Blu-rays. I am very puzzled by the fact that Netflix streaming will pass a 5.1 Dolby Digital audio and everything else is limited to 2.0.
post #649 of 679 Old 07-15-2011, 10:43 AM

OK So I have a Samsung Hl50A650, I'm not very technically savvy so I need to do this in baby steps, lol

so I need to buy this adapter 3DA-1, but used? not new is this correct

I see a few on ebay, but it says they don't come with an emitter or glasses... So can someone(in laymens terms) please explain to me exactly everything to purchase so this can run properly?

so If I buy the 3dc-1000 starter kit, it will work perfectly fine if hooked up to my xbox 360, directv, or any 3d blu-ray player? I found the 3dc-1000 for sale at walmart and online for $250 with 2 glasses and a movie, but is this the same case where I have to buy an older build date due to restrictions on removing EDID? I also found this kit with purports to do what i'm looking for but almost $200 more...Yikes!!

http://www.tru3d.com/products/view_p...ra%20Batteries

Sorry these are alot of questions I'm asking here
post #650 of 679 Old 07-15-2011, 12:22 PM

The reason you need/want to buy the older one because there is a simple way to make them work with the Samsung. If you get a newer one you have to try to trick it into thinking it's talking to a Mitsubishi TV. There are a couple ways to do that. But since you're admittedly not that savvy in this area you want to steer clear of those methods. One involves hacking your Samsung and the other involves using a Gefen HDMI dongle which is a bit klugy.
The 3DC-1000 set you see that is being sold new, likely contains the latest firmware in the adapter so it's the same problem as above. It only works with a Mits TV and can't turn off the ID restriction.
So that basically leaves you with these options...
- buy the tru3D solution which is around 180 bucks. I think these are either the old 3da1's on which they've turned off EDID checking (likely) or they are the new 3dc-100S boxes which work with Samsungs (unlikely).
- try locating an older 3da1 and reset it yourself
- try buying a 3dc-100S directly from Mitsubishi. These are harder to come by. There is one distributor and they charge a LOT.

As for the glasses there are more options. You can go the emitter route or the ones that use the DLP-Link that's built into the Samsung. There are pros cons to each. I got mine off an eBay seller and they work great. But the glasses/emitter sets don't have to be purchased with the adapter in order to be compatible.

I bought my glasses/emitter from these guys:
http://stores.ebay.com/3DTV-CORP/_i....d=p3286.c0.m57

I think I got a glass/emitter set, then bought additional glasses. The glasses aren't super sleek and cool looking, but they work well and aren't super expensive.
post #651 of 679 Old 07-15-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:

The reason you need/want to buy the older one because there is a simple way to make them work with the Samsung. If you get a newer one you have to try to trick it into thinking it's talking to a Mitsubishi TV. There are a couple ways to do that. But since you're admittedly not that savvy in this area you want to steer clear of those methods. One involves hacking your Samsung and the other involves using a Gefen HDMI dongle which is a bit klugy.
The 3DC-1000 set you see that is being sold new, likely contains the latest firmware in the adapter so it's the same problem as above. It only works with a Mits TV and can't turn off the ID restriction.
So that basically leaves you with these options...
- buy the tru3D solution which is around 180 bucks. I think these are either the old 3da1's on which they've turned off EDID checking (likely) or they are the new 3dc-100S boxes which work with Samsungs (unlikely).
- try locating an older 3da1 and reset it yourself
- try buying a 3dc-100S directly from Mitsubishi. These are harder to come by. There is one distributor and they charge a LOT.

As for the glasses there are more options. You can go the emitter route or the ones that use the DLP-Link that's built into the Samsung. There are pros cons to each. I got mine off an eBay seller and they work great. But the glasses/emitter sets don't have to be purchased with the adapter in order to be compatible.

so if I buy a 3da1(built date prior to ????)
and these glasses/emitter http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology.../ref=pd_sim__3

is this all I would need to view it in 3d?
post #652 of 679 Old 07-15-2011, 03:39 PM

Yep that should do it. Those are nice looking glasses and good price too.

So far I think the newest 3da1 that still can be "reset" is Jan 2011. May 2011 does not.

You can gamble on the Vanns.com clearance ones...some ppl have had luck and they are 50 bucks.
post #653 of 679 Old 07-15-2011, 06:23 PM

so will I be able to play my xbox 360 in 3d with this setup? Just trying to make sure
post #654 of 679 Old 07-16-2011, 12:37 AM

If the Xbox 360 can play 3D games then yeah. I don't have one so I don't know for sure but I think it has 3d gaming capability. But blu ray 3d...no. Pick up a PS3 and you get both.
post #655 of 679 Old 07-16-2011, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesmer View Post

so will I be able to play my xbox 360 in 3d with this setup? Just trying to make sure

In order to use multiple 3D components you will either need an HDMI 1.4 AVR Receiver or an HDMI Switcher that is 3D compliant. Otherwise you will need to disconnect each piece of equipment every time you want to use a different 3D source. Additionally, you will need an XBOX 360 with an HDMI port if you want to use it with the 3DA-1.
post #656 of 679 Old 07-16-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is thread devoted to 3D Glasses that are compatible with the Samsung 3D Ready DLP HDTVs. I like the Samsung SSG-1000 3D Glasses that were specifically made for the Samsung 3D ready DLP HDTVs but you can read other recommendations on this thread. You can buy the SSG-1000s on eBay for less than $50 with emitter. This is a good thread as there is no reason to reinvent the wheel.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1314289

Here is another good link pertaining to 3D Glasses:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post20703765
post #657 of 679 Old 07-19-2011, 11:18 AM

So how good does the 3D work on these TV's after its been setup? do they look exactly the same as the newer in store sets, or are they not as good? just wanna know before I drop $200 on something
post #658 of 679 Old 07-19-2011, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesmer View Post

So how good does the 3D work on these TV's after its been setup? do they look exactly the same as the newer in store sets, or are they not as good? just wanna know before I drop $200 on something

It looks great. The 3D from my Samsung 61A750 is better than the 3D I have experienced in the theater. However, seeing is believing and you will have to judge the picture for yourself.
post #659 of 679 Old 07-22-2011, 12:00 PM

Liked: 15
I had purchased the 3D adapter package with the Mits box and Gefen spoofer from tru3d back in January, along with the Xpand 103 glasses. It worked perfectly for a couple of months, and then I started having trouble with the 3D setup on the hdmi input3 on my Sammy HLT50-89S. I tested and retested, and finally got a hold of a high level technician at tru3d that told me that he had worked on the 3D implementation of the DMD with Texas Instruments. He immediately offered to issue me an RA number so that I could exchange the Mits box and Gefen spoofer for the new Mits box that works with the Samsungs without the spoofer. (3DC-1000 vs 3DA-1?) All I had to do was return the original items. My understanding was that they were just going to reprogram the firmware in order to allow the Samsungs edid. So I was completely surprised when they sent me the entire Mits starter kit, complete with two pair of glasses. (anyone need two pair of glasses?) This type of service is above and beyond what many companies are willing to offer nowadays, and I want to thank tru3d for their excellent and knowledgeable service.

ISF Calibrator
post #660 of 679 Old 07-22-2011, 12:01 PM

Liked: 15
@ jesmer - the 3D on these sets rock! Don't let anyone fool you with stats. Even though they don't do full frame 1080p (they output checkerboard at 120 hz, 60 frames per second per eye at 1/2 resolution) the DMD chip has an 8 microsecond response (not millisecond...), which is about a thousand times faster than most other available technologies. Many feel that this is still the best available technology for 3D.

ISF Calibrator
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page