Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter + Gefen HDMI Detective = 3D on Samsung HL61A750 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 679 Old 08-01-2010, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderguy84 View Post

But I've read on other forums that this panasonic bluray would work with it

Can you provide a link to support that?
The Panssonic player can output 3D Checkerboard for 1080p 3D ready DLP TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 679 Old 08-01-2010, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt View Post

Kevin, Geaux,
Have D* working? Or taking Sunday off?
JIM

not today. I've been working on it for about 4 hours. I have even been able to get audio via hdmi regularly now. but still no 3d picture from the channel. I do occasionally get a different message telling me that if I use component cables that I will be able to view the content. which must be a 2d feed.

The VOD n3d channel was available yesterday, so I recorded all the content. That content seems to work just fine today, there are a few things in the q that are still recording. It's mostly World cup stuff that I missed. My old recordings from the n3d channel still work, but the newer recordings from the channel that I recorded yesterday won't work. The VOD channel is gone and the rest have become greyed out again.

I have not had any luck from the ps3 demos either.

post #93 of 679 Old 08-01-2010, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kevin, Geaux,
Have D* working? Or taking Sunday off?
JIM

Unfortunately, my air conditioning went out and that is now my top concern. There is a heat advisory in my area and the temperature is over 100 degrees outside. It's a good thing I just installed several Hunter Original Ceiling Fans through out the house.

I believe the problem is with DirecTv's software. It sure would be great if we could find a receptive engineer on there end. I sent an email to one of the top moderators at DBStalk.com and he said he would pass the information along. I posted over there regarding my problem and another member outed me as not having a DirecTv approved setup. I then posted my entire setup. DirecTv and the broadcasters have a vested interest in allowing as many viewers to watch 3D as possible if they want the 3D Format to be successful. It is it really our fault that Samsung is such a crappy company that does not continue to support its customers? Mitsubishi screwed its customers with the whole EDID requirement as well as now they have to buy a Gefen HDMI Detective in order to use an A/V Receiver with their system.
post #94 of 679 Old 08-01-2010, 10:21 PM

Kevin and Geaux,
I did some reading of owners manuals for several of the Mit's DLP's including the two I cloned. On both of the Mit's, a plug and play type screen popped up when I plugged the Gefen in. I was done programing when I noticed it the first time and the second time I was at a Cosco programming and didn't have a remote and the store clerk was just about to call security.
The Mit's manuals I read, both state that when you plug in a new device to an open HDMI, the pop up window opens and you must name the device so it knows what speed & resolution. You only need to name it PC, if your are connecting to a PC. Otherwise, use any name, but a name is required that will pass 1080p.
The Mit's sets don't have a dedicated HDMI 3 like the Samsungs and may need this naming step before we clone the Gefen!!
In the Mit's 3da-1 instructions it also says, "If the New Input Found screen displays, assign a name to the input. If you have an 833 series TV, name the input GAME."
This could make a big difference when we clone the Gefen. Unfortunately, I am working out of town Monday and Tuesday and have pretty much used up my Mit's clone sources. The Costco was a two hour round trip as most stores have stopped carrying DLP's.
If this doesn't fix the problem, I agree D* needs to not be so restrictive and maybe ungrey the channels. They could make 3d a catagory of the guide that you would only use if you had propper equipment.
I hope one of you can reclone after naming the Mit's HDMI.
What do you think??
JIM
post #95 of 679 Old 08-02-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Kevin and Geaux,
I did some reading of owners manuals for several of the Mit's DLP's including the two I cloned. On both of the Mit's, a plug and play type screen popped up when I plugged the Gefen in. I was done programing when I noticed it the first time and the second time I was at a Cosco programming and didn't have a remote and the store clerk was just about to call security.
The Mit's manuals I read, both state that when you plug in a new device to an open HDMI, the pop up window opens and you must name the device so it knows what speed & resolution. You only need to name it PC, if your are connecting to a PC. Otherwise, use any name, but a name is required that will pass 1080p.
The Mit's sets don't have a dedicated HDMI 3 like the Samsungs and may need this naming step before we clone the Gefen!!
In the Mit's 3da-1 instructions it also says, "If the New Input Found screen displays, assign a name to the input. If you have an 833 series TV, name the input GAME."
This could make a big difference when we clone the Gefen. Unfortunately, I am working out of town Monday and Tuesday and have pretty much used up my Mit's clone sources. The Costco was a two hour round trip as most stores have stopped carrying DLP's.
JIM

Interesting find, Jim. I might try heading back to Ultimate Electronics and try it on the laserview A90. The sales people there are pretty nice and I think they could get the remote for me to try this. I'm assuming that I'd plug in the Gefen, wait for it to pop up asking for a name, name it, THEN program the Gefen? I'm wondering if we should name it PC, even to get it to work with D* and Blu-Ray, since you have to assign the 3D input on the Sammy's to PC to eliminate crosstalk.
post #96 of 679 Old 08-02-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanshu View Post

The HLT 720p models are the sole reason why Mitsubishi locked out the EDID's for the other Samsung DLP TV's. The converter boxes will NOT work with the 720P models and unfortunately, 720p owners are likely not going to be able to utilize any of the current 3D tech including the Xpand X102's. The 102's send a 1080p signal at 60hz to each eye.

My HL-T6756 is 1080p and ISF calibrated by kevin miller from cnet.com but i dont think it has the 3d input?

My HL-T6187s (i think is the model #) is also 1080p, is LED and definately does 3d.

And obviously my hl67a750 Led dlp is 1080p and does 3d
post #97 of 679 Old 08-02-2010, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Worm View Post

Interesting find, Jim. I might try heading back to Ultimate Electronics and try it on the laserview A90. The sales people there are pretty nice and I think they could get the remote for me to try this. I'm assuming that I'd plug in the Gefen, wait for it to pop up asking for a name, name it, THEN program the Gefen? I'm wondering if we should name it PC, even to get it to work with D* and Blu-Ray, since you have to assign the 3D input on the Sammy's to PC to eliminate crosstalk.

I never had to rename hdmi 3 on my hl67a750 to pc and dont have much crosstalk (ghosting) at all but i did on the avatar game for 360 in some scenes but i thought that was because i had the 3d intensity in the game options turnes up.

How do you (on the a750's) rename hdmi 3 to PC?
post #98 of 679 Old 08-02-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

I never had to rename hdmi 3 on my hl67a750 to pc and dont have much crosstalk (ghosting) at all but i did on the avatar game for 360 in some scenes but i thought that was because i had the 3d intensity in the game options turnes up.

How do you (on the a750's) rename hdmi 3 to PC?

Hit MENU, the second option from the bottom has the options "select input" and "edit" (or rename). Or something like that. You hit edit and change HDMI 3 to PC. The screen will go black for a second and come back. It does give a big difference on ghosting of certain colors, but the picture doesn't look quite as sharp.
post #99 of 679 Old 08-02-2010, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was done programing when I noticed it the first time and the second time I was at a Cosco programming and didn't have a remote and the store clerk was just about to call security.

Cloning is illegal in Ca.

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #100 of 679 Old 08-02-2010, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Worm View Post

Hit MENU, the second option from the bottom has the options "select input" and "edit" (or rename). Or something like that. You hit edit and change HDMI 3 to PC. The screen will go black for a second and come back. It does give a big difference on ghosting of certain colors, but the picture doesn't look quite as sharp.

Thanks but hm, if its not as sharp maybe i dont even want to do it?

Maybe just for vid games if that is where the ghosting is more prevalent.
post #101 of 679 Old 08-02-2010, 09:31 AM

I'd say just try it, Quatre, see what your personal preference is. Theres no harm in switching the name on it then switching back.
post #102 of 679 Old 08-02-2010, 12:00 PM

I finally got the ps3 to play the demos in 3d. I didn't realize that there was an extra step in the display settings menu that only appears once a 3d device is connected. It took lots of plugging and unplugging of hdmi chords. Knowing about this extra step in the menu helped significantly in my trial and error process. Not sure why it worked all of a sudden, but for some reason the tv size option was there after I disconnected the hdmi input from the gefen and then back in while clicking on the hdmi - automatic setting.

Now it seems to work even when I disconnect the 3da-1 from the ps3 and then put it all back together.

D* is still giving me problems however. Had it working 3 times now but only the final time did it last until I turned it all off over night. No luck since.

I have noticed a difference between naming hdmi3 PC and TV, the rest don't seem to change anything.

I hope to not have to redo the edid cloning process. The current edid works with the adapter 100%, it's really just D*.

post #103 of 679 Old 08-02-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin6541 View Post

I finally got the ps3 to play the demos in 3d. I didn't realize that there was an extra step in the display settings menu that only appears once a 3d device is connected. It took lots of plugging and unplugging of hdmi chords. Knowing about this extra step in the menu helped significantly in my trial and error process. Not sure why it worked all of a sudden, but for some reason the tv size option was there after I disconnected the hdmi input from the gefen and then back in while clicking on the hdmi - automatic setting.

Now it seems to work even when I disconnect the 3da-1 from the ps3 and then put it all back together.

D* is still giving me problems however. Had it working 3 times now but only the final time did it last until I turned it all off over night. No luck since.

I have noticed a difference between naming hdmi3 PC and TV, the rest don't seem to change anything.

Are you getting the 5.1 audio from PS3 demo games?
post #104 of 679 Old 08-02-2010, 12:23 PM

That was one other thing I tried. Disabling hdmi audio on the ps3 and only running optical. Another poster somewhere had mentioned something about stripping the audio. So I thought maybe It was too much information running down the hdmi line. My stereo is 5.1 but it's old so I can only run an optical cable to it. So yes, I have 5.1 surround from the ps3 via optical to my old pioneer receiver.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is an audio output option within the D* menu. Please correct me if I am wrong so I can try that same setup on my hr24-500.

post #105 of 679 Old 08-02-2010, 12:29 PM

White worm,
Regarding cloning the Gefen on a Mit's:
The following seems to indicate that you don't have to name the input "PC". I think the important step after naming the input is to close the "New Device Found" screen, and then program the Gefen.....

More on the clone instructions. The following is from the C9,737,837 Mit's manual:

3. Power on the Mit's TV and the source device. (Gefen)
4. Connect the source device (Gefen) to the Mit's TV’s HDMI input.
5. When the New Device Found screen displays, name the input according to the table below.
The signal type and choice of name are important because the TV will process the video signal differently depending on the name you assign. If your source device is a Blu-ray disc or game console, the signal must be 1080p at 60 Hz.

If Source of 3D Video is Computer...Assign name to PC

Any other 3d video source. To see 3d video, the signal must be 1080p/60hz. Assign name.... Any other name.

6. Press BACK to close the New Device Found screen.
(Jim) May be important step just before programming Gefen

I tried to call in to Mit's 3dA-1 tech support to find out best name for input but had over a twenty minute wait. Hope this info helps and gets the Gefen working...
JIM
post #106 of 679 Old 08-02-2010, 04:53 PM

One more theory i am going to try to get the Gefen to work.. After a new try at cloning.
Taking the info from my above post re: Must be a 1080p/60hz source signal. I remembered that D* support had me use "Native" in HDTV setup and wanted all TV compatible resolutions checked. With all resolutions checked and native on, the guide will be sent to the adapter, Gefen and TV at it's lower resolution, not 1080p which may cause the guide's 3d channels to be greyed out.
I am going to leave the setting at "Native" and uncheck all resolutions except 1080p which should force the guide to the adapter, Gefen and TV at 1080p.
Just another theory. I hope the last necessary...JIM
post #107 of 679 Old 08-02-2010, 11:27 PM

Hello I have been reading your thread here for the past few months. It seems now that the Mitsubishi converter box is out, the information in this thread is getting better. I own a HL67A750 and want to do the 3d bad. I have a friend who has a Mitsubishi 65 inch and I went to his house today to check out some 3d PS3 games. I'm sold, even though I didn't get to see any movies due to the PS3 not being updated yet. On to the questions: Can I use the Mitsubishi glasses with the Geffen setup, or do I need the DLP link glasses? Also can I same some money by buying the Gefen straight up and flashing it with my friends Mitsubishi? I'm pissed off that Samsung it trying to screw everyone into buying a new tv when some of their current tv's can do 3D. I guess I'll have to go Mitsubishi when I want a full 1080p for each eye 3d.

So i would need

Gefen
Mitsubishi Converter
Emitter with Glasses or DLP link glasses
and 3d source "PS3"
Any special wires "aside from HDMI cables?
post #108 of 679 Old 08-02-2010, 11:44 PM

Seanbenn,
I went with the DLP link glasses. They don't need the emitter and neither Samsung nor Mit's got any more of my money.
About the Gefen, follow this thread for another day or two. See if we get it worked out. Weve had some success and the 3d has been great but short lived.
JIM
post #109 of 679 Old 08-03-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanbenn View Post

Hello I have been reading your thread here for the past few months. It seems now that the Mitsubishi converter box is out, the information in this thread is getting better. I own a HL67A750 and want to do the 3d bad. I have a friend who has a Mitsubishi 65 inch and I went to his house today to check out some 3d PS3 games. I'm sold, even though I didn't get to see any movies due to the PS3 not being updated yet. On to the questions: Can I use the Mitsubishi glasses with the Geffen setup, or do I need the DLP link glasses? Also can I same some money by buying the Gefen straight up and flashing it with my friends Mitsubishi? I'm pissed off that Samsung it trying to screw everyone into buying a new tv when some of their current tv's can do 3D. I guess I'll have to go Mitsubishi when I want a full 1080p for each eye 3d.

So i would need

Gefen
Mitsubishi Converter
and 3d source "PS3"

HD 3D Guru mentioned that a device specifically made for the Samsung DLPs may soon be available, if this happens you could eliminate the need to purchase the Gefen device.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...0&postcount=83
post #110 of 679 Old 08-03-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanbenn View Post

So i would need

Gefen
Mitsubishi Converter
and 3d source "PS3"

I have the same TV as you and its currently working with both my Xbox 360 (because 3D can be forced by software) and my PS3. I have not gotten it working on my D* at all, and I only got it to work with my Sony Blu-Ray 3D player once (without the AVR in the mix, so no sound).

First off, you don't need DLP Link glasses. The mitsubishi glasses that come with the starter kit work great. Supposedly, the Sammy glasses will also work with the kit. This is because the kit comes with an emitter and an interconnect cable, so the adapter can communicate with the TV's 3D port, and with the emitter. When it gets working, it all works beautifully.

Secondly, getting the PS3 to work the first time is difficult. Fortunately, once it works, it keeps working hassle-free. When the 3D BR firmware comes out, it will replace my Blu-Ray player completely.

Getting it all to work with D* or a Blu-Ray player is another story. You will reach a point where there are simply too many EDIDs in the loop, and the source will refuse to detect 3D. Its frustrating. But I'm happy that it works with the PS3/360.

Also, I'd recommend picking up a 1.4 Audio/Video Receiver for your setup. I bought a Denon DHT-591BA, which is a great receiver with a Boston Acoustics 5.1 channel speaker system, all for $600. Since its 1.4 compatible, it can pass 3D through and still give you lossless audio (via HDMI).

Hope this helps. You can PM me if you have more specific questions about my setup/experience.
post #111 of 679 Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Gefen unit has nothing to do with what glases or glases interface you use with your TV.
post #112 of 679 Old 08-03-2010, 08:53 AM

I can run Fiber Optic for my audio. I will be picking up a new receiver to go along with my Paradigm system soon. Until then the Fiber should work just fine. I want to buy the right glasses, so in the future I will not need to buy more glasses when I buy a new TV. You know "future proof" lol Samsung.
post #113 of 679 Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 AM

In that case, Seanbenn, the X102's might not be the right choice. They will only work with DLP tvs, so if your next TV isn't DLP, they won't work at all.

There will be universal glasses coming in the future, however, and the technology will improve and the price will come down. Unfortunately, theres really no "future-proofing" when it comes to 3D glasses at the moment.
post #114 of 679 Old 08-03-2010, 09:38 AM

White Worm,
Were you able to re-clone to a Mit's following the "New Connection Found" screen, naming the connection and then press back to save the info....THEN hit the button on the Gefen to program it?
I failed to name the connection and the Gefen won't pass 1080p, just 1080i which apparently won't work. I haven't had a chance to re-clone and test my theory. Maybe tomorrow.
Regarding your question about naming it "PC", unless your going to actually hook up a PC, I don't think so. Manual advised use any other name... Of course the manual was printed before the 3da-1 and new 3d specs were finalized. The 3d-a manual advises any name that will cause 1080p output. Unless, specifically you have an 833 series in which case they want you to use "Game". "Game" might be a good choice.
I am going to call Mit's tech support now and find out.
JIM
post #115 of 679 Old 08-03-2010, 09:51 AM

Let me know Jim (send me a PM so I'm sure to see it) about your call to Mits. If it sounds like something that could possibly help the situation, I'll give it a shot
post #116 of 679 Old 08-03-2010, 10:31 AM

OK, re: the Gefen clone process and naming the connection on the Mit's...
I called Mit's 3da-1 tech support. They advised if your using sat., name the connection sat, using a cable box, name it cable box. OR, just plug it into HDMI #1 and call it HDMI-1. Then close the "Found New Connection" screen. After the clone, you must output from the source at 1080p, that's why I recommended turning off all other resolutions in the HDTV setup of the D* receiver and confirm with the resolution lights on the front of the receiver.
I bit off topic, but I don't quite understand. Last night I canceled all resolutions in D* HDTV setup except 1080p and set to "Native".
Turned on Jay Leno in HD, direct connection from D* to TV. I noticed that the resolution on the tv screen indicated 480. The resolution light on the front of the D* also was at only 480. Hit the res button on the D* and run it up to 1080. Why would the D* output at 480 when the only resolution checked in the D* HDMI setup as useable is 1080p???

EDIT: D* now advises to turn the native off and leave 1080p as the only resolution.

JIM
post #117 of 679 Old 08-03-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There are no programs broadcast in 1080p.
Are you sure you were watching the HD resolution digital channel for the Jay Leno Show and not the SD rsolution digital channel for the Jay Leno Show?
post #118 of 679 Old 08-03-2010, 12:04 PM

Walford,
Correct about the programs as far as I know. Hitting the res button on the front of the D* receiver kicked it up step by step to 1080 as indicated above. (1080i). My understanding was that the D* box takes the native signal and upconverts to 1080 if the only ""resolution supported by your TV box" = 1080p was checked and all the other boxes were left unchecked.
I don't understand why, with the above settings, Jay Leno HD would start at 480. I don't know, maybe time for another reset or an HR24..
JIM
post #119 of 679 Old 08-03-2010, 12:33 PM

Jim, did changing this setting make 3D on D* work any better? The native formats, I mean.
post #120 of 679 Old 08-03-2010, 12:40 PM

White Worm,
No, but I won't be able to re-clone until tomorrow at the earliest. Hope to hear from Kevin or Geaux soon.

EDIT: D* now advises to turn the native off and leave 1080p as the only resolution.

JIM
Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page