Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter + Gefen HDMI Detective = 3D on Samsung HL61A750 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 679 Old 08-06-2010, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The light lit up the second time I did this but I'm getting a "not supported mode" error from my samsung I believe I did renamed the hdmi/dvi 3 any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 679 Old 08-06-2010, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin6541 View Post

This morning I turned things on in this order and it worked without any disconnects.

3da-1 - D* receiver - tv

then I tested it by turning off the 3da-1 and then back on. went back to not working. tried a few different power combos. got some different errors at times while tuned to n3D. Error number was either 797 or 979 I don't remember right now, but the message was, your tv does not support 1080p/24hz, and then another time the message was does not support 480i. I think this was related to the channel from which had been previously tuned. Other times the screen would just go white, as if it were working because the 3d mode would come on.

But all in all, it still works of course. As far as I can figure, the power combo might be this

To turn every thing off:

TV off - 3da-1 off - D* off

To power on:

3da-1 on - D* on - TV on

I also had success just changing the input back and forth when the screen went a little haywire with greens and fuzz.

Quote:

Thank you for your support. Although I think the biggest problem for Samsung owners is the 3Da-1, Samsung didn't make us one. Our spoofing mechanism acts as a mits which is the only way to make the 3da-1 work, so I'm not sure if adding the Sammy EDID's would help as we need the 3da-1 to convert the signal to checkerboard.

I test hardware and software for a living.
The TVs made from 2007-2009 by Mitsu and Samsung, are very similar. (This is my take) and my opinion. IF the STB, can detect a compatible TV listed in their firmware, all it takes is for the "flag" to be set as "true" Does the tv has 3d compatibility? Yes Or NO., then the guide should be able to show all 3d channels.
The irony of this is that on the Directv web sites, it listed all the Samsung and Mitsu tvs, why those engineers failed to include the entire lists baffles me.
What makes this so bad is even those of us with Mitsu, are unable to get the STB detect the tvs.
Detecting the STB is first step, second step is the "CB" format, which is the second phase that will allow the adapter to work.
George
post #183 of 679 Old 08-06-2010, 12:13 PM

Does anyone know of a place that has the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 in stock right now?
post #184 of 679 Old 08-06-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty67 View Post

The light lit up the second time I did this but I'm getting a "not supported mode" error from my samsung I believe I did renamed the hdmi/dvi 3 any suggestions

I see the not supported mode sometimes, usually during the changeover from 2d to 3d. it always goes away though. Your 3da-1 - gefen relationship seems to be fine.

Do you know for sure that you didn't reclone the gefen with setup #5 from the manual? If you did reclone, it sound like it's good enough to communicate with the 3da-1, but maybe it's not quite enough to make the rest of it work. Although it seems that once you get passed the 3da-1's lockout, everything else shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure what else to try other than reprogramming with another mits dlp and trying the steps that seem to have become very reliable.

post #185 of 679 Old 08-06-2010, 01:29 PM

Just FYI, I tried some of the methods posted here last night. Mostly just unplugging both ends of the Gefen then plugging in the 3da-1 then the TV, but no luck on D*. My 3D channels were ungreyed though (except for 104), but it still gave me the "tv not compatible" message. I was still going through my receiver however, so that may have been the problem.

I'll try again by taking the AVR out of the loop, but if the system won't work by going through the receiver first, then its not worth doing (for me).

To avoid getting responses about my receiver, let me just say that it IS 1.4 compatible. Even claims 3D on the box and the front of the unit. So the problem is NOT that I have a 1.3 receiver. (Denon AVR-591)
post #186 of 679 Old 08-06-2010, 01:33 PM

Ratty67,
One last try before recloning.
Disconnect everything going out from 3da-1.
Turn sat and tv off.
Turn sat on, channel 103, them tv on. You should have message, no connection. Wait a few seconds.
Next steps do exactly , they don't make sense...
Plug out from Gefen directly into HDMI -3 (Previously renamed to STB Satellite) and wait several seconds.
Have the Gefen which is disconected from everything in your hand.
Disconnect 3da-1 from tv and plug it into input of the Gefen...The green light should light...wait a few seconds...
Now, plug the out of the Gefen into HDMI-3, and wait several seconds for the resolutions to fix.
If you get this far, then you should be able to activate 3d in the menu of Samsung. It is located on the remote at "Tools". The top line should read 3d--off, scroll left to mode 2. After it works, toggle between mode 2 and mod1 for best 3d picture.

As mentioned earlier, it should default to checkerboard and you should not have to change the mode on the 3da-1.
JIM
post #187 of 679 Old 08-06-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:

I see the not supported mode sometimes, usually during the changeover from 2d to 3d. it always goes away though. Your 3da-1 - gefen relationship seems to be fine.

Do you know for sure that you didn't reclone the gefen with setup #5 from the manual? If you did reclone, it sound like it's good enough to communicate with the 3da-1, but maybe it's not quite enough to make the rest of it work. Although it seems that once you get passed the 3da-1's lockout, everything else shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure what else to try other than reprogramming with another mits dlp and trying the steps that seem to have become very reliable.

I tought I have switched some settings when I changed it to dip #5 but it didn't change because I didn't use the power adaptor on the geffen and nothing changed, I'm trying to make it work with dip #4 and straight with MIT edid on geffen
post #188 of 679 Old 08-06-2010, 02:25 PM

To anyone with a working setup,
In the channel guide, I previously had all channels, 103,104,105,& 106 lit and working.
Since last night, 104 Cine3D pay for view is greyed out and I get a message "Your receiver isn't authorized to record this program"
Everything else works including vod, etc.
Could you check your guide and see if you have the same problem and let me know?
JIM
post #189 of 679 Old 08-06-2010, 02:43 PM

I think Ima give it a rest and see if I can get it to work on the ps3
post #190 of 679 Old 08-06-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Worm View Post

Just FYI, I tried some of the methods posted here last night. Mostly just unplugging both ends of the Gefen then plugging in the 3da-1 then the TV, but no luck on D*. My 3D channels were ungreyed though (except for 104), but it still gave me the "tv not compatible" message. I was still going through my receiver however, so that may have been the problem.

I'll try again by taking the AVR out of the loop, but if the system won't work by going through the receiver first, then its not worth doing (for me).

To avoid getting responses about my receiver, let me just say that it IS 1.4 compatible. Even claims 3D on the box and the front of the unit. So the problem is NOT that I have a 1.3 receiver. (Denon AVR-591)

I have the Denon 591 as well. I spoke to their tech support and to the best of their knowledge, everything with 3D passthrough worked just fine. Do you have a PS3 or any other 3D source you could test? Also, for the mits users that got everything working, it appeared that they got their sources connected, and then connected it up to a receiver. This worked for a poster with the pioneer 1020-k.
post #191 of 679 Old 08-06-2010, 03:07 PM

My PS3 works great through the receiver, but not D* or the 3D Blu-Ray player. I'll fiddle around with it a bit more this weekend.
post #192 of 679 Old 08-06-2010, 03:58 PM

Sounds like just 104 is greyed out for others, too. I reported to DTV and they were going to put in a trouble sheet. Anyone know why or had any luck getting 104 back?
Please post if it is not greyed out for you.
JIM
post #193 of 679 Old 08-06-2010, 04:16 PM

Re: the different AVR HDMI passing some but not DTV.
My Onkyo is a HDMI "Repeater type" which was supposed to be better, but I think it has it's own EDID info which disrupts the DTV/3da-1 link.
The lower class AVR HDMI is "Pass through" type, and doesn't mess with the EDID, which is more likely to work with the DTV-3da-1 connection.
Disclaimer: This is just a theory and I am not an expert on the subject.
JIM
post #194 of 679 Old 08-06-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The D* STB will not output any 3D HD in either 3D 1080i or 3D 720p format if it does not see the EDID coming from the adapter.
post #195 of 679 Old 08-06-2010, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt View Post

Sounds like just 104 is greyed out for others, too. I reported to DTV and they were going to put in a trouble sheet. Anyone know why or had any luck getting 104 back?
Please post if it is not greyed out for you.
JIM

My channel 104 is greyed out as well. However, when I manually enter 104 on my remote the 3D LED on the 3DA-1 comes on and DirecTv asks me if I want to buy this item.
post #196 of 679 Old 08-06-2010, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am not saying this an exclusive way to get the 3DA-1 / Gefen working but this is what worked for me.

1. Unplug the electrical cord from your DirecTv Reciever and 3D-A1.

2. Only have the HDMI input of the Gefen from the 3DA-1 plugged in and disconnect the HDMI out from the Gefen.

3. Plug the electrical cord of the Gefen back in and then plug the DirecTv Receiver back in.

4. Wait for the DirecTv Receiver to completely reboot. This will take several minutes and I would give it extra time since you will not be able to monitor the progress over your HDTV. Additionally, I do not believe it matters if the DirecTv Receiver is on a 3D channel as I have done it both ways with success.

5. Plug your HDMI cable to your HDTV back into the Gefen's HDMI out connection.
**I am also using an HDMI 1.3 Onkyo TX-SR805 A/V Receiver between the Gefen and my HDTV and the Onkyo passes the video signal without any problem but only passes PCM 2.0 audio through the HDMI connection. After everything is working I switch to toslink which gives me Dolby Digital 5.1)

Here is the order of my equipment:

DirecTv HR24-500 to Mitsubishi 3DA-1 to Gefen HDMI Detective Plus to Onkyo TX-SR805 to Samsung HL61A750.

I would love to be able to use my Onkyo as a switch but since it is only HDMI 1.4 and not 3D compliant I do not believe that would work.
post #197 of 679 Old 08-06-2010, 11:37 PM

Geaux, re:104
I also can go to the screen for playing(buy) or recording. But when I try to record, I then get a message "Your receiver is not authorized" or something like that. If you get a chance, just try to record, not buy, to see if you get the same message.
Thanks,
JIM
post #198 of 679 Old 08-06-2010, 11:47 PM

I recloned my Gefen to another Mit's tonight, this time following Mit's directions about naming the connection and saving before the clone. This in hopes of getting a clone that was more friendly with the 3da-1.
Didn't help a bit, but needed to give it a try.
Before this, I was successful using the dip switch method and saving it into memory. It worked fine. I just am not sure that something was saved from the first clone that made it work.
If anyone has gotten a Gefen, it would help everyone if the dip switch method was tried before any clone.
If anyone is in this position, PM me if you want. There are a couple steps left out of the Gefen manual that make a difference.
Thanks, JIM
post #199 of 679 Old 08-07-2010, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Geaux, re:104
I also can go to the screen for playing(buy) or recording. But when I try to record, I then get a message "Your receiver is not authorized" or something like that. If you get a chance, just try to record, not buy, to see if you get the same message.
Thanks,
JIM

Same results here but everything else works great except the PCM 2.0 audio over HDMI.
post #200 of 679 Old 08-07-2010, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DBStalk.com has started a new thread where they want us to report what is not working for 3D. I reported the 2.0 PCM audio issue. I get the impression that they want us to post supported as well as unsupported equipment.

Here is a link to the thread:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=182213

Please post your problems here as I believe that this is the best way for us to communicate to DirecTv and get our problems fixed.
post #201 of 679 Old 08-07-2010, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I would like D* to clarify exacltry what the settings should be on their Receiver in order to pass HDMI 1.4a 3D content to a TV or to the Mits Aapter.
post #202 of 679 Old 08-07-2010, 10:04 AM

Guess what?!? I got ALL my 3D working!

Ps3, xbox, 3d blu ray and D*. And its all going through my 1.4 receiver with perfect audio (lossless in some cases)!

Using the same method posted by jwitt earlier. I'll post later exactly what I did. But here's the best news: once you get it working through a 1.4 AVR, it will keep the handshake while switching devices! Just don't turn off the AVR.
post #203 of 679 Old 08-07-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Guess what?!? I got ALL my 3D working!

Ps3, xbox, 3d blu ray and D*. And its all going through my 1.4 receiver with perfect audio (lossless in some cases)!

Using the same method posted by jwitt earlier. I'll post later exactly what I did. But here's the best news: once you get it working through a 1.4 AVR, it will keep the handshake while switching devices! Just don't turn off the AVR.

Fantastic news White Worm! I was starting to get nervous because I purchased the 591 as well last week. A couple questions. Which model directv receiver are you using? I ask because it appears some of the posters were only able to get 2.0 over HDMI. Also, for your TV, did you rename HDMI 3 to PC or leave it as is? Thanks and congrats!
post #204 of 679 Old 08-07-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanshu View Post

Fantastic news White Worm! I was starting to get nervous because I purchased the 591 as well last week. A couple questions. Which model directv receiver are you using? I ask because it appears some of the posters were only able to get 2.0 over HDMI. Also, for your TV, did you rename HDMI 3 to PC or leave it as is? Thanks and congrats!

That is great news. I believe the difference in audio is that you probably are using your HDMI 1.4 A/V Receiver upstream of the 3DA-1 while those of us with HDMI 1.3 receivers are forced to use our A/V Receivers downstream of the 3DA-1. White Worm, is that how you have it hooked up? I wonder if we added another Gefen upstream of our A/V Receiver if we could trick the video components into believing that our HDMI 1.3 A/V Receiver is a HDMI 1.4 A/V Receiver and it would then pass the video / audio signal and could be used as a switcher.

Any thoughts or anyone have access to the needed equipment and want to try it?

Of course a better solution would be a switch that accepts the 3D signal and then has two outputs as well as multiple inputs. One output could be hooked up to our legacy HDMI 1.3 receivers for audio and it would pass the high resolution audio codecs (DTS-HD, Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital, etc.) and the other audio output could be hooked up to the video side of things. Any thoughts on this?
post #205 of 679 Old 08-07-2010, 11:36 AM

This might work if it doesn't have it's own edid: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #206 of 679 Old 08-07-2010, 01:12 PM

My flow looks like this:

Source>denon avr591>3da-1>gefen>tv (samsung hl67a750)

I can switch between all sources without issue. I'm getting a new ps3 today so ill have to repeat the process, but ill try going through the avr first to confirm it works with new devices.

I am a graphic designer and I can do technical drawings pretty well, so maybe we can start a project to make an illustrated instruction sheet (as a PDF) showing how to get 3d working on any setup. I'm not available until Wednesday to work on it though.
post #207 of 679 Old 08-07-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:

My flow looks like this:

Source>denon avr591>3da-1>gefen>tv (samsung hl67a750)

I can switch between all sources without issue. I'm getting a new ps3 today so ill have to repeat the process, but ill try going through the avr first to confirm it works with new devices.

I am a graphic designer and I can do technical drawings pretty well, so maybe we can start a project to make an illustrated instruction sheet (as a PDF) showing how to get 3d working on any setup. I'm not available until Wednesday to work on it though.

That's a fantastic idea. It might also be helpful to compile a list of working hardware (IE set top satellite box models and AVRs).
post #208 of 679 Old 08-07-2010, 02:44 PM

Reminder:
Anyone with the equipment and getting ready to clone. If you want to try dip switches first, PM me for some steps not in the Gefen manual. I had it working and need someone to try it before a clone. Won't create any problem if you still need to clone.
Thanks, JIM
post #209 of 679 Old 08-07-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Reminder:
Anyone with the equipment and getting ready to clone. If you want to try dip switches first, PM me for some steps not in the Gefen manual. I had it working and need someone to try it before a clone. Won't create any problem if you still need to clone.
Thanks, JIM

Congratulations on getting the dip switches to work. This will be great for those who do not have access to a Mitsubishi 3D ready DLP to clone.
post #210 of 679 Old 08-07-2010, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by high def mon View Post

This might work if it doesn't have it's own edid: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

That would be great if that switch works. However, I think we may need something that is HDMI 1.4 and 3D compliant. Otherwise, I believe the first EDID information that the 3D video source would be that of the 3DA-1 and because of Mitsubishi's stupidity the 3DA-1 would instruct the video source to output a 2.0 stereo audio signal. That would mean that the HDMI switch would output two identical 2.0 stereo switches which both contained the 3D video. I hope I am wrong about this but that would be my guess.

Monoprice is a good company but if they were really smart they would have a dedicated thread where customers could give them ideas on products to sell or develop.
Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page