Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter + Gefen HDMI Detective = 3D on Samsung HL61A750 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 678 Old 07-27-2010, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own a 3D ready Samsung HL61A750 DLP HDTV. As many of you know, Samsung screwed over owners of their 3D ready DLPs by not making a Checkerboard Converter for owners of the TV. Mitsubishi further added salt to the wound by making their 3D Checkerboard Converter incompatible with Samsung 3D ready DLPs by adding EDID restrictions to the converter.

My Mitsubishi 3DA-1 3D Checkerboard Converter arrived today. I had previously purchased a Gefen HDMI Detective Plus and programed the EDID from a Mitsubishi 3D ready DLP into the Gefen. I hooked up my DirecTv HR24-500 to the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 Checkerboard Converter. I then hooked up the 3DA-1 to the Gefen HDMI Detective. Then I hooked up the Gefen to my Onkyo TX-SR805 A/V Receiver and ran the HDMI out to my Samsung HL61A750. I am using Samsung SSG1000 Glasses and the emitter that came with the glasses. I AM NOW ABLE TO WATCH 3D ON MY SAMSUNG HL61A750 AND THE PICTURE IS STUNNING. However, unfortunately my audio was being limited to 2.0 so I hooked up a Toslink cable from the HR24-500 to the Onkyo TX-SR805 and that solved the audio issue.

If someone can tell me how to attach an image then I will do that for everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 678 Old 07-27-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

I own a 3D ready Samsung HL61A750 DLP HDTV. As many of you know, Samsung screwed over owners of their their 3D ready DLPs by not making a Checkerboard Converter for owners of the TV. Mitsubishi further added salt to the wound by making their 3D Checkerboard Converter incompatible with Samsung 3D ready DLPs by adding EDID restrictions to the converter.

My Mitsubishi 3DA-1 3D Checkerboard Converter arrived today. I had previously purchased a Gefen HDMI Detective Plus and programed the EDID from a Mitsubishi 3D ready DLP into the Gefen............. I AM NOW ABLE TO WATCH 3D ON MY SAMSUNG HL61A750 AND THE PICTURE IS STUNNING.

Glad to hear it man! I know you've waited a long time to see if this would all work with your Sammy TV. Good for you!!!
post #3 of 678 Old 07-27-2010, 07:42 PM

You go Geaux
post #4 of 678 Old 07-28-2010, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I own a 3D ready Samsung HL61A750 DLP HDTV. As many of you know, Samsung screwed over owners of their 3D ready DLPs by not making a Checkerboard Converter for owners of the TV. Mitsubishi further added salt to the wound by making their 3D Checkerboard Converter incompatible with Samsung 3D ready DLPs by adding EDID restrictions to the converter.

My Mitsubishi 3DA-1 3D Checkerboard Converter arrived today. I had previously purchased a Gefen HDMI Detective Plus and programed the EDID from a Mitsubishi 3D ready DLP into the Gefen. I hooked up my DirecTv HR24-500 to the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 Checkerboard Converter. I then hooked up the 3DA-1 to the Gefen HDMI Detective. Then I hooked up the Gefen to my Onkyo TX-SR805 A/V Receiver and ran the HDMI out to my Samsung HL61A750. I am using Samsung SSG1000 Glasses and the emitter that came with the glasses. I AM NOW ABLE TO WATCH 3D ON MY SAMSUNG HL61A750 AND THE PICTURE IS STUNNING. However, unfortunately my audio was being limited to 2.0 so I hooked up a Toslink cable from the HR24-500 to the Onkyo TX-SR805 and that solved the audio issue.

If someone can tell me how to attach an image then I will do that for everyone.

this is great to hear it confirmed of someone doing it and it working.

how hasn't someone done this on a larger scale and sold these by now? there was one guy working doing that but then he had a bad power cord or something stupid and he didnt' post anymore after that on the other thread.

main question is:
How did you program the Geffen with a mitsu dlp?

maybe you can provide basic step by step instructions on how to do it with the Geffen hdmi detective (btw where is good place to buy that?) and access to a mitsu dlp tv.

could it be done with a mitsu dlp at local best buy? or does it take too long and require doing something that the store might frown upon?

what mitsu dlp did you have access too?

there was some talk that it might be able to be programed just from the mitsu edid in the converter itself but sounds like you used mitsu dlp tv so i guess the geffen hdmi can't be programed just from the converter?
post #5 of 678 Old 07-28-2010, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

how hasn't someone done this on a larger scale and sold these by now? there was one guy working doing that but then he had a bad power cord or something stupid and he didnt' post anymore after that on the other thread.

main question is:

maybe you can provide basic step by step instructions on how to do it with the Geffen hdmi detective (btw where is good place to buy that?) and access to a mitsu dlp tv.

could it be done with a mitsu dlp at local best buy? or does it take too long and require doing something that the store might frown upon?

there was some talk that it might be able to be programed just from the mitsu edid in the converter itself but sounds like you used mitsu dlp tv so i guess the geffen hdmi can't be programed just from the converter?

I am very curious to see if this will work with the HLtXX87S Samsung 3D DLP Tv's as well. Those 2007 models use HDMI 1.1. I'm reasonably certain that once the 3DA-1 converts the signal to checkerboard, the HDMI 1.1 spec has the bandwidth to carry the image. I know it is listed under Tru 3D's compatible models but I spoke to their tech support and they didn't actually test it. In any case, Thanks for jumping in as the AVS guinea pig so to speak Geaux!
post #6 of 678 Old 07-28-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Since the Geffen has several "learning" slots have you tried using the 3DA-1 to see if can be used to program the Geffen? Also have you tried the adapter without the Geffen?
post #7 of 678 Old 07-28-2010, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

main question is:

I programed the Gefen HDMI Detective using the instructions that Gefen provided. You basically hook up the Gefen to your HDMI source with power going to the Gefen and push a button on the Gefen until the LED indicator on the Gefen blinks a certain sequence confirming that the Gefen stored the EDID information from the source. Once the EDID code is programmed into the Gefen then you no longer have to supply power to the Gefen. I believe I used a 72 inch Mitsubishi DLP but I am unsure of the model number. A friend of mine has an A/V Store and had a Mitsubishi DLP on the floor and allowed me access to the Mitsubishi. When I find out the exact model number of the Mitsubishi then I will post it.

The only thing I can not get working properly is the audio as the audio is being limited to 2.0 through my setup. I am using a Toslink cable from my DirecTv HR24-500 to my Onkyo A/V Receiver to provide surround sound at this time. However, this will present a problem once the PS3 gets a 3D FW upgrade as I may lose my High Resolution Sound from the PS3. If anyone as a suggestion then I am all ears.

I did hook up the 3DA-1 without the Gefen and it did not work. In fact it took me a while to get the 3DA-1 to work after that because of the EDID information I believe.
post #8 of 678 Old 07-28-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

Since the Geffen has several "learning" slots have you tried using the 3DA-1 to see if can be used to program the Geffen? Also have you tried the adapter without the Geffen?

No and at this point I do not want to attempt it out of fear of screwing something up.
post #9 of 678 Old 07-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I programed the Gefen HDMI Detective using the instructions that Gefen provided. You basically hook up the Gefen to your HDMI source with power going to the Gefen and push a button on the Gefen until the LED indicator on the Gefen blinks a certain sequence confirming that the Gefen stored the EDID information from the source. Once the EDID code is programmed into the Gefen then you no longer have to supply power to the Gefen. I believe I used a 72 inch Mitsubishi DLP but I am unsure of the model number. A friend of mine has an A/V Store and had a Mitsubishi DLP on the floor and allowed me access to the Mitsubishi. When I find out the exact model number of the Mitsubishi then I will post it.

The only thing I can not get working properly is the audio as the audio is being limited to 2.0 through my setup. I am using a Toslink cable from my DirecTv HR24-500 to my Onkyo A/V Receiver to provide surround sound at this time. However, this will present a problem once the PS3 gets a 3D FW upgrade as I may lose my High Resolution Sound from the PS3. If anyone as a suggestion then I am all ears.

I did hook up the 3DA-1 without the Gefen and it did not work. In fact it took me a while to get the 3DA-1 to work after that because of the EDID information I believe.

Have you tried it with the 3D games on the PS3 yet, like the Pacific Rift demo? Also, you could have it inline with the PS3 as you would for 3D, but just play a regular blu-ray and see if the multi-channel audio is coming through. Maybe the problem is limited to the DirectTV receiver.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #10 of 678 Old 07-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

Have you tried it with the 3D games on the PS3 yet, like the Pacific Rift demo? Also, you could have it inline with the PS3 as you would for 3D, but just play a regular blu-ray and see if the multi-channel audio is coming through. Maybe the problem is limited to the DirectTV receiver.

Also, the other big thing would be seeing if it works when you have it between the Onkyo 805 and TV, being sure the onkyo is set to Pass-thru. Then you would just be able to switch sources using your Onkyo, instead of having to move the adapter between different sources. Apparently the adapter needs to be plugged in directly to the PS3 first, to enable the 3D, but then you should be able to have the adapter after your receiver. That would sure make things more convenient.

post #11 of 678 Old 07-28-2010, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I have thought about this at length, so I have some thoughts.

The first thought is that you should also be able to run a Optical cable from your PS3 for the audio (while still using the HDMI for video)... one of the recent firmware updates allows you to send sound and video over different wires, or even to send sound out over all possible sound output sources (although only one will get surround, everything else would be downmixed to stereo, so you want to make sure you set this up properly).

I have no idea why the Gefen is removing the surround sound.

Another thing I'm wondering, is once the PS3 gets its firmware update, how are you going to hook both up? Are you going to switch the cable back and forth between your DirecTV receiver and the PS3, or do you have some better idea? The 807 won't pass through 1.4 3D info mangled, will it?

Energy Speakers' specs spreadsheet.

Corrections or additions? Please PM me and I will edit the document.
post #12 of 678 Old 07-28-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

Also, the other big thing would be seeing if it works when you have it between the Onkyo 805 and TV, being sure the onkyo is set to Pass-thru. Then you would just be able to switch sources using your Onkyo, instead of having to move the adapter between different sources. Apparently the adapter needs to be plugged in directly to the PS3 first, to enable the 3D, but then you should be able to have the adapter after your receiver. That would sure make things more convenient.

Thats what I was thinking. If everything was post receiver it wouldnt have a chance to mess with the audio. Hopefully that would work as I have the same receiver. In another thread he said he thought the Onkyo wouldnt pass the checkerboard signal. At this point though its worth a try.
post #13 of 678 Old 07-28-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshFrosh View Post

The first thought is that you should also be able to run a Optical cable from your PS3 for the audio (while still using the HDMI for video)... one of the recent firmware updates allows you to send sound and video over different wires, or even to send sound out over all possible sound output sources (although only one will get surround, everything else would be downmixed to stereo, so you want to make sure you set this up properly).

Another thing I'm wondering, is once the PS3 gets its firmware update, how are you going to hook both up? Are you going to switch the cable back and forth between your DirecTV receiver and the PS3, or do you have some better idea? The 807 won't pass through 1.4 3D info mangled, will it?

Cable box and ps3 ( and what ever other 3D source) to a hdmi switcher then gefen and converter to receiver. The switcher would then switch the source with only one input to the receiver being used.
post #14 of 678 Old 07-28-2010, 01:34 PM

Could you place the EDID/mitsu b/t receiver and TV?
post #15 of 678 Old 07-28-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfwil View Post

Cable box and ps3 ( and what ever other 3D source) to a hdmi switcher then gefen and converter to receiver. The switcher would then switch the source with only one input to the receiver being used.

Yes, that should work. Especially if one were to use something like this which claims it will not mangle 3D data:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Power-S...9867355&sr=1-4

However, if his receiver would do it, that would be even better and would give me a little more faith that my Yamaha receiver may do it.

post #16 of 678 Old 07-28-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipfreely View Post

Could you place the EDID/mitsu b/t receiver and TV?

Probably, but then he wouldn't be able to hook up additional 3D sources (PS3, etc) without either: 1) switching the wire manually each time he needed to or 2) buying more than one 3da-1/converter combo

This thread is great. I completely intend to get my TV working with 3D, but I'm happy that this place exists to swap information. Keep trying stuff and keep posting. If Samsung won't make it right, we'll do it ourselves. Oh yeah.

post #17 of 678 Old 07-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfwil View Post

Thats what I was thinking. If everything was post receiver it wouldnt have a chance to mess with the audio. Hopefully that would work as I have the same receiver. In another thread he said he thought the Onkyo wouldnt pass the checkerboard signal. At this point though its worth a try.

The Onkyo should pass the checkerboard just fine. The issue would be whether or not the 3D source devices (DirectTV, PS3, etc.) would be able to see the EDID of the converter through the receiver.

post #18 of 678 Old 07-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Optical can't carry the 5.1 lossless audio of Blu-ray, so it would downgrade your sound.

Also, it might not be the gefen messing with the audio, it could be the converter. He really needs to try it with the PS3, then he could switch the audio signal between 2.0, DD, and DolbyTrueHD, and see what each results in. The switching could be done real-time on the PS3, and you can always hit "select" to see which audio stream is being output. It could be that the directTV box isn't seeing the 5.1 capable receiver downstream, so it's only outputting stereo. Moving the converter/gefen downstream of the receiver, i.e. between the receiver and tv, would take care of that problem. (as long as the EDID got passed back upstream to the directTV box).

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of his testing with the PS3.

post #19 of 678 Old 07-28-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:

Yes, that should work. Especially if one were to use something like this which claims it will not mangle 3D data:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Power-S...9867355&sr=1-4

However, if his receiver would do it, that would be even better and would give me a little more faith that my Yamaha receiver may do it.

That is a splitter not a switcher. I guess you might be able to use it backwards. I was thinking something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/HM-501-5-PORT-..._ptcn_edpp_url
post #20 of 678 Old 07-28-2010, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I disconnected my 3DA-1 and my Gefen HDMI Detective Plus from my DirecTv HR24-500 to connect it to my PS3. The picture seemed to large to me on the PS3 and I could not get sound from the HDMI into my Onkyo A/V Receiver. I was able to watch things in 3D though.

I then reconnected everything to my HR24-500 and have been unable so far to reestablish the 3D signal. I keep on getting a message that says this TV is not 3D capable. I do no know if I accidentally reprogramed the Gefen or what is going on.

All I know is that the 3D picture was stunning and now I can't get it back.
post #21 of 678 Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 PM

Did you try a reboot of your Directv receiver with everything reconnected ?
post #22 of 678 Old 07-29-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:

I disconnected my 3DA-1 and my Gefen HDMI Detective Plus from my DirecTv HR24-500 to connect it to my PS3. The picture seemed to large to me on the PS3 and I could not get sound from the HDMI into my Onkyo A/V Receiver. I was able to watch things in 3D though.

I then reconnected everything to my HR24-500 and have been unable so far to reestablish the 3D signal. I keep on getting a message that says this TV is not 3D capable. I do no know if I accidentally reprogramed the Gefen or what is going on.

All I know is that the 3D picture was stunning and now I can't get it back.

we have a hlt56 3d ready dlp.hope you can solve the problems you are having.if everything works out for you we will be going the same route with our set.thanks for posting your results for us.
post #23 of 678 Old 07-29-2010, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Everything is back and and as it was before. I am once again enjoying 3D on my Samsung HL61A750. I woke up this morning trying to think about what I did different than before. I switched my audio back on my Onkyo TX-SR805 A/V Reciever where it was going through the HDMI connection into the A/V receiver. After I did this it restored the 3D picture and allowed my DirecTv HR24-500 to recognize everything as being 3D compliant once again. This limited the sound to 2.0 so I then switched the audio back to the toslink connection which restored the 5.1 surround sound. I do not know why this made a difference but in my case it did. I can now turn everything off or change channels and the 3D signal is maintained.

I looked at the Gefen manual and they had some preset EDID that allowed for multi-channel sound through HDMI. I played around with dip switches but the sound remained at 2.0 using the HDMI connection so I am going to continue to use the toslink connection for audio at this time.

On the PS3 the picture looked enlarged and I could not get any sound over HDMI but it was producing a 3D picture on the game demo I downloaded. I never play games on my PS3 and use it solely for a blu-ray player and media center. I wonder if the picture was stretched because the PS3 thought that it was connected to a larger Mitsubishi 72 inch DLP HDTV rather than my Samsung 61 DLP HDTV.

I have confirmed that it works and now all I need is help from you guys solving the other problems. The picture is stunning on DirecTv and the toslink connection is no big deal since 5.1 is the best that you can get from DirecTv regardless of your audio connection. I wonder if the PS3 issue can be solved using picture adjustments on the Samsung?

I do not like the fact that I have to go into the menu to turn on 3D every time. I have a Harmony remote and I might try to set up a macro command or see if there is a hidden dedicate button that I could add to my Harmony. At this time I will probably not play around with much more as I am very happy with the DirecTv 3D picture and was very upset last night when my 3D went away.

I look forward to hearing back from everyone on the cause and solutions for the few problems I mentioned.
post #24 of 678 Old 07-29-2010, 09:37 AM

Geaux Tigers, when you first hooked up your PS3 to 3D, it should have given you a menu in the display settings asking you what size your TV is. When I got mine working last night, the default option was 72", so if you skipped that screen it might be thinking you're playing on a 72" rather than a 61". Try going into the PS3>Settings>Display Settings. There may be an option there to change your screen size. If not, select HDMI as your video connection and then select "automatic". It may give you the option to change screen size at that time.

One other question: Are you using the interconnect cable between your 3da-1 and your TV? Or is your emitter plugged directly into the TV?
post #25 of 678 Old 07-29-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Worm View Post

Geaux Tigers, when you first hooked up your PS3 to 3D, it should have given you a menu in the display settings asking you what size your TV is. When I got mine working last night, the default option was 72", so if you skipped that screen it might be thinking you're playing on a 72" rather than a 61". Try going into the PS3>Settings>Display Settings. There may be an option there to change your screen size. If not, select HDMI as your video connection and then select "automatic". It may give you the option to change screen size at that time.

One other question: Are you using the interconnect cable between your 3da-1 and your TV? Or is your emitter plugged directly into the TV?

What about the audio issue.
post #26 of 678 Old 07-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think the screen size would be for setting the 3D depth settings, the number of pixels being sent should be the same for either screen size. It doesn't send a bigger picture for a bigger screen, it's still just 1080p.

Geaux, do you have HDMI-3 renamed as PC? This seemed to solve a lot of 3D problems for people as well as solving some overscan issues. Also, I'm hoping you end up trying the converter/gefen between the Onkyo and the TV. If that works, then you could just switch between the PS3 and the DirectTV using the receiver. I realize it's not a big deal for you now, as you're not using the PS3 as a 3D source yet, but it will be nice to know if it works for when the PS3 gets its update to play 3D Blu-ray. It also might solve all of your sound issues. Some mitsu folks have apparently gotten it to work that way, so I expect it will also work with the sammy. The key seemed to be hooking the converter up to the PS3 first, so it would unlock the 3D output, then you can put the converter/gefen between the receiver and TV.

I would consider contacting Gefen tech support to see why their device is not passing the audio. I haven't heard of anyone else using it having this problem.

post #27 of 678 Old 07-29-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Mitsubishi that I got the EDID is a 73 inch Diamond Model WD73837.

I am using the interconnect cable from the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 to the connection on my Samsung HL61A750. I have the IR emitter hooked up directly to the 3DA-1. I hooked up everything according to the instructions that came with the 3DA-1.

I am glad to know that the PS3 gives you a size option as I must have missed that. I believe the audio problems are caused by EDID restrictions. Another poster stated that the devices read each others EDID codes to determine what audio the device is capable of receiving. The DirecTv HR-24-500 believes that it is sending audio to a Mitsubishi HDTV that is only capable of receiving 2.0 stereo audio and therefor limits the audio to that. The poster told me he had the same problem with his DirecTv HR24-500 but did not have that problem with his Tivo as the Tivo must of been programed to send 5.1 audio regardless. EDID restrictions are really a pain. I believe the PS3 is experiencing the same problem but I will research the issue and hopefully recieve feedback from other AVS members that are a lot more knowledgeable than me.
post #28 of 678 Old 07-29-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat68 View Post

What about the audio issue.

It would be a one time setup step, then he can put the AVR back in the loop. Or you can have the PS3 output its audio via optical. The PS3 is very capable of outputting audio/video through separate cables.
post #29 of 678 Old 07-29-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:

It would be a one time setup step, then he can put the AVR back in the loop. Or you can have the PS3 output its audio via optical. The PS3 is very capable of outputting audio/video through separate cables.

I was thinking of getting the adapter and HDMI device for my Sammy but I want to be able to get sound through the HDMI cable. Any thoughts before I do the buy?
post #30 of 678 Old 07-29-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:

But it cant do True HD audio through optical.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page