Samsung UN55C9000 or Sony XBR-60LX900 ?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 10-01-2010, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mickey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I'm just about ready to jump the gun here and I'm trying to decide between these two sets. There's just a $400 difference in price with Sony being $4,499 and Samsung coming in at $3,999, so price is not an issue.

My wife is completely in love with the Samsung UN55C9000's aesthetics, including it's touch-screen remote with the little TV in it & all. It is also the cheaper set here.

With Sony I'm getting extra 5" of real estate and the Bravia brand.

I personally do not know which one is better in Picture Quality and 3D Quality and would really like to base my decision primarily on Picture Quality.

I would love to throw in the Samsung UN65C8000 in the group and it might actually win solely based on the 65" factor; but the $5999 price tag is something I'm not willing to pay.

Any suggestions?

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
mickey79 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 10-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Parrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas USA
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You will want the biggest screen your budget will allow for 3d. I have the 60lx900 and the size is great! Although a 65 inch would enhance the 3d effect even more.

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8 - Current Loves of my life.
Parrish is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 10-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
peter0328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PN63C8000 hand's down.
peter0328 is offline  
post #4 of 22 Old 10-02-2010, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mickey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@Parrish: Have you compared the PQ & 3D to the Samsung UN55C9000? I'd like a UN55C9000 owner also to step in and give their point of view.

@peter0328: I don't want to stir up the old LED vs. Plasma debate; I myself have both an LCD & Plasma, and personally prefer the LCD PQ to be superior & better to the Plasma. Isn't the LED 3D supposed to have better PQ then the Plasma 3D?

Thanks!

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
mickey79 is online now  
post #5 of 22 Old 10-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
nickoakdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I think the consensus is that plasma is the best for 3D due to it's faster refresh rates.
nickoakdl is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 10-02-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mickey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

I think the consensus is that plasma is the best for 3D due to it's faster refresh rates.

Hmm, that's interesting.

Can any LED 3D owners jump in over here?
I know that 'most' Plasma owners swear by it's PQ and LED owners swear by theirs. I personally have not compared Plasma 3D to LED 3D; but as far as 2D goes ... I've compared everything from regular SD, HD content, Blu-ray & gaming ... and I've personally always preferred the sharpness & colors of the LED, which is why I have only been looking at LED.

3D content will be limited for a long, long time - that being the case, I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile for me to go for a Plasma when I personally prefer LED's 2D PQ over Plasma.

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
mickey79 is online now  
post #7 of 22 Old 10-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
peter0328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've compared the LED LCD and Plasma Samsung sets in-store for both 3D and 2D and the plasma wins for both. There is much less crosstalk with the plasma (faster refresh) compared to the LED LCD.

Black levels are much better on the plasma and you don't get any blooming or clouding like with the LED LCDs.

You should go to the store and compare.
peter0328 is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 10-02-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mickey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post

I've compared the LED LCD and Plasma Samsung sets in-store for both 3D and 2D and the plasma wins for both. There is much less crosstalk with the plasma (faster refresh) compared to the LED LCD.

Black levels are much better on the plasma and you don't get any blooming or clouding like with the LED LCDs.

You should go to the store and compare.

What about burn-in? Is that still an issue or has that been resolved with the newer models? I will be Gaming quite a bit on the set; so burn-in is definitely a factor.

Is there a big difference in PQ & 3D Quality between the 65" Panasonic TC-P65VT25 & the 63" Samsung PN63C8000? The price difference is enormous.

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
mickey79 is online now  
post #9 of 22 Old 10-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
peter0328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post


What about burn-in? Is that still an issue or has that been resolved with the newer models? I will be Gaming quite a bit on the set; so burn-in is definitely a factor.

Is there a big difference in PQ & 3D Quality between the 65" Panasonic TC-P65VT25 & the 63" Samsung PN63C8000? The price difference is enormous.

No burn-in. You should run an initial setup burn-in disc mentioned in the plasma forums I think when you get the set and then you will be fine.

There is like a 5% picture quality decrease between the Samsung and Panasonic at best. Most content will look almost exactly as good on the Samsung with the major difference being SLIGHTLY more crosstalk (I'm talking almost nothing noticeable and isn't distracting).

The Samsung has way more features too (2D->3D conversion, play 3D videos from flash drives, etc) which make it a much better buy.
peter0328 is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 10-03-2010, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TonyDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post

What about burn-in? Is that still an issue or has that been resolved with the newer models? I will be Gaming quite a bit on the set; so burn-in is definitely a factor.

Is there a big difference in PQ & 3D Quality between the 65" Panasonic TC-P65VT25 & the 63" Samsung PN63C8000? The price difference is enormous.

I've had the Samsung PN63C8000 since mid July. It's a beautiful set with outstanding 3D and an absolutely sick 2D picture (and I mean that in a good way) as well. Based on the testing I did when shopping for my TV plasma definitely had a better 3D effect with less ghosting and more 3D pop.

Be aware though that if you game extensively you definitely still need to be careful about image retention. I also game heavily and while many games seem to behave just fine (I've played Halo Reach for hours without any issues) other games like Project Gotham Racing leave afterimages even after playing for a few minutes.

The afterimages generally fade pretty quickly and the TV has a scroll-wipe and other anti-burn-in features that clean up any IR but it would be a fallacy to say even this generation of plasmas are 100% IR free.
TonyDP is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 10-03-2010, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
peter0328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post


I've had the Samsung PN63C8000 since mid July. It's a beautiful set with outstanding 3D and an absolutely sick 2D picture (and I mean that in a good way) as well. Based on the testing I did when shopping for my TV plasma definitely had a better 3D effect with less ghosting and more 3D pop.

Be aware though that if you game extensively you definitely still need to be careful about image retention. I also game heavily and while many games seem to behave just fine (I've played Halo Reach for hours without any issues) other games like Project Gotham Racing leave afterimages even after playing for a few minutes.

The afterimages generally fade pretty quickly and the TV has a scroll-wipe and other anti-burn-in features that clean up any IR but it would be a fallacy to say even this generation of plasmas are 100% IR free.

How can there be IR after a couple minutes? Wouldn't you have the same problem with every source that has any static HUD elements not just PGR?
peter0328 is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old 10-03-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
walford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 16,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

I think the consensus is that plasma is the best for 3D due to it's faster refresh rates.

All Plasma 3D TVs have a 120pfs refresh rate and all LCD 3D TVs have at least a 240fps refresh rate. The fact that the Panasonic plasmas redisplay each frame 10 times does not chang the number of different frames it can dispay per second it is still 120. The Panasonic plasma 3Ds do have faster responding pixels then the Samsungs which helps to reduce motion blur.
The LCD 3Ds insert a Black frame after each real frame in ordert to reduce moion blur.
In any case both the Plasmas and the LCDs display 60fps to each eye in 3D mode.
walford is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 10-03-2010, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TonyDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post

How can there be IR after a couple minutes? Wouldn't you have the same problem with every source that has any static HUD elements not just PGR?

That's a great question and I wish I had a good answer for you.

It happened when I was playing the original Project Gotham Racing for the 360. I ran one race, which could not have lasted more than five minutes. Since the KUDOS counter on the upper right of the screen was always visible during the race I decided to run the scroll wipe pattern to make sure that there weren't any IR issues. Sure enough, the KUDOS lettering and numbering below it were clearly visible and I needed to run scroll wipe for a good 5-10 minutes before it faded away. It might have faded away on its own with normal TV viewing but I didn't want to take any chances by waiting for it to fade on its own.

I think it has something to do with the color and sharpness static text; on Halo Reach all the static huds are a soft blue and never persist.

As I said I own the set so the last thing I'd want to do is trash my own equipment but that is the behavior I observed.
TonyDP is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 10-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
peter0328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

That's a great question and I wish I had a good answer for you.

It happened when I was playing the original Project Gotham Racing for the 360. I ran one race, which could not have lasted more than five minutes. Since the KUDOS counter on the upper right of the screen was always visible during the race I decided to run the scroll wipe pattern to make sure that there weren't any IR issues. Sure enough, the KUDOS lettering and numbering below it were clearly visible and I needed to run scroll wipe for a good 5-10 minutes before it faded away. It might have faded away on its own with normal TV viewing but I didn't want to take any chances by waiting for it to fade on its own.

I think it has something to do with the color and sharpness static text; on Halo Reach all the static huds are a soft blue and never persist.

As I said I own the set so the last thing I'd want to do is trash my own equipment but that is the behavior I observed.

Did you run the plasma workout disc for the first 200hours?
peter0328 is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 10-04-2010, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TonyDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post

Did you run the plasma workout disc for the first 200hours?

I didn't because Samsung insists that you don't need to do any break-in; I did dial down the brightness, contrast, sharpness and color settings. The TV probably had around 100 hours on it when the incident occurred so maybe the phosphors still hadn't aged enough. I've had the TV for about 2 1/2 months and use it for a good two hours each day so it probably has around 150 hours on it by now. I'll have to try it again in a few weeks and see if I get the same results.
TonyDP is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 10-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Member
 
richard0ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

All Plasma 3D TVs have a 120pfs refresh rate and all LCD 3D TVs have at least a 240fps refresh rate. The fact that the Panasonic plasmas redisplay each frame 10 times does not chang the number of different frames it can dispay per second it is still 120. The Panasonic plasma 3Ds do have faster responding pixels then the Samsungs which helps to reduce motion blur.
The LCD 3Ds insert a Black frame after each real frame in ordert to reduce moion blur.
In any case both the Plasmas and the LCDs display 60fps to each eye in 3D mode.


Hmmm, if I wasn't mistaken, all plasma tvs have a 60 hrtz refresh rate. The difference between that and an LCD, plasma pixels have an instataneous pulse of 8-10 per pixel.

With 8 instataneous pulse = 8 x 60 = 480 hrtz refresh rate
With 10 instataneous pulse = 10 x 60 = 600 hrtz refresh rate (more common)
richard0ne is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 10-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Newbie
 
chrisbwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking for a tv bigger than a 60 inch 3D tv. I pick up a samsung PN63C8000, 3D was great and PQ as well but my living room was to bright for a plasma so I took it back and got a sony 60lx900 It was great for my well lit room but when watching a 3D Blu-ray movie, if you tilt your head at all left to right the picture would start to change color and start to get blury. If your buying a tv for a good 3D picture I don't think the lx900 is the one. Hopefuly sony can fix the problem when you tilt your head with a firmware update, but I think it is in the glasses. If 3D is not your thing the PQ is great.When it is dark in the room I still think the plasma was better 2D and 3d. I think you should go to bestbuy and look at the sony 3D and tilt your head, you may not be happy with you see. I hope this helps
chrisbwt is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 10-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
peter0328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbwt View Post

I was looking for a tv bigger than a 60 inch 3D tv. I pick up a samsung PN63C8000, 3D was great and PQ as well but my living room was to bright for a plasma so I took it back and got a sony 60lx900 It was great for my well lit room but when watching a 3D Blu-ray movie, if you tilt your head at all left to right the picture would start to change color and start to get blury. If your buying a tv for a good 3D picture I don't think the lx900 is the one. Hopefuly sony can fix the problem when you tilt your head with a firmware update, but I think it is in the glasses. If 3D is not your thing the PQ is great.When it is dark in the room I still think the plasma was better 2D and 3d. I think you should go to bestbuy and look at the sony 3D and tilt your head, you may not be happy with you see. I hope this helps

It's a problem with the glasses. The X103 will not have the head tilting issue.
peter0328 is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 10-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Member
 
acblue94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LED 8 Series has better PQ then the 9 Series LED. I have them both in my apartment.
acblue94 is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old 10-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
peter0328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by acblue94 View Post

LED 8 Series has better PQ then the 9 Series LED. I have them both in my apartment.

Yep. 809 uses full array LED backlighting while the 900 series uses edge-lit LED.
peter0328 is offline  
post #21 of 22 Old 10-26-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mrjktcvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbwt View Post

I was looking for a tv bigger than a 60 inch 3D tv. I pick up a samsung PN63C8000, 3D was great and PQ as well but my living room was to bright for a plasma so I took it back and got a sony 60lx900 It was great for my well lit room but when watching a 3D Blu-ray movie, if you tilt your head at all left to right the picture would start to change color and start to get blury. If your buying a tv for a good 3D picture I don't think the lx900 is the one. Hopefuly sony can fix the problem when you tilt your head with a firmware update, but I think it is in the glasses. If 3D is not your thing the PQ is great.When it is dark in the room I still think the plasma was better 2D and 3d. I think you should go to bestbuy and look at the sony 3D and tilt your head, you may not be happy with you see. I hope this helps


That's interesting. I looked at the Costco display, and all tilting your head did was remove the 3D effect, no color change or fuzziness.
mrjktcvs is offline  
post #22 of 22 Old 01-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Member
 
jagangjee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys - as always thanks in advance and for all your knowledge. Looking to get a new TV and I am getting a great deal on the both units around $1600 each, but not sure which to pull the trigger on? I've always been impressed with the LED's with their vibrante picture quailty and the bezel around the screen as well as the LCD remote and nice "cool factor" for a remote. However I also have been impressed by the true color and picture quality from the plasma. 3D isn't an issue as I will be using the TV primarily for TV watching and movie watching and it will not be the main Home Theatre Screen, it would be another screen for the family. Also the 4" difference isn't an issue to me eaither. Any thoughts input or opions are greatly appreciated. Again TIA!!!
jagangjee is offline  
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off