Acer 5360 - Worth it for 3d? - Page 4 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > 3D Central > 3D Displays > Acer 5360 - Worth it for 3d?

3D Displays

ctn's Avatar ctn
07:01 PM Liked: 10
post #91 of 442
11-25-2010 | Posts: 163
Everything was working fine last night! Today, I turned the PJ and the PC on to see how big a screen that I could get. I noticed that the driver used for PJ is Generic Non-PnP monitor. I could swear that I saw ACER 5360 as the device name yesterday. When I went into the display property, I could no longer find the 120hz. Now the 3D is no longer work.

I tried uninstall and reinstall the nvidia drivers and software with no luck. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
gain3
10:58 AM Liked: 10
post #92 of 442
11-26-2010 | Posts: 173
EDID , well known problem

http://www.3dizzy.com/DRIVERS.html

look at the bottom
ctn's Avatar ctn
01:42 PM Liked: 10
post #93 of 442
11-26-2010 | Posts: 163
Thanks for link. I found the same link but the problem still not fixed. I was able to use the provided EDID override driver to force the projector to 120hz but the ndivia 3D vision was not able to recognize the pj as a 3D ready display.

I ended up returning the pj to amazon. The replacement will be here next week, I hope. I wish that I know what caused the EDID problem.
Deja Vu's Avatar Deja Vu
12:59 PM Liked: 188
post #94 of 442
11-27-2010 | Posts: 4,559
I watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs last night in 3D with the Acer. I've seen it before in 2D and didn't much like it. IMO, it is much better in 3D and I actually enjoyed it. I was pretty apprehensive about 3D and I thought I might have some eye strain issues, buy apparently not. For me, 3D is a bigger improvement than the improvement seen from going from SD to HD! I'm now a big, big fan. Bring it on!

These little 720p 3D DLP projectors are just killer machines. Who'd have thought it?
Joseph Clark's Avatar Joseph Clark
01:22 PM Liked: 182
post #95 of 442
11-27-2010 | Posts: 10,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

I watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs last night in 3D with the Acer. I've seen it before in 2D and didn't much like it. IMO, it is much better in 3D and I actually enjoyed it. I was pretty apprehensive about 3D and I thought I might have some eye strain issues, buy apparently not. For me, 3D is a bigger improvement than the improvement seen from going from SD to HD! I'm now a big, big fan. Bring it on!

These little 720p 3D DLP projectors are just killer machines. Who'd have thought it?

I get a kick out of the doomsayers who claim that 3D can damage eyes. Ken H (one of the AVS mods you guys have probably seen a lot here) has worked with medical professionals who stare at 3D screens all day for years, without a single report of eye injury as a result. Personally, I think 3D has strengthened my own eyes. I definitely notice a slight improvement since I started watching a lot of 3D and 2D to 3D conversion. I suspect it's because such viewing gives the eyes a better workout than staring at a 2D image does. There's no way it's hurt them.

Glad to see you're still excited about the Acer. I wish I'd gotten it instead of a couple of other electronic toys lately. I'd really like to see for myself why people get so pumped up over it. Oh, well, I'm probably about a month away from delivery on my JVC RS40.
Deja Vu's Avatar Deja Vu
11:32 AM Liked: 188
post #96 of 442
11-28-2010 | Posts: 4,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I get a kick out of the doomsayers who claim that 3D can damage eyes. Ken H (one of the AVS mods you guys have probably seen a lot here) has worked with medical professionals who stare at 3D screens all day for years, without a single report of eye injury as a result. Personally, I think 3D has strengthened my own eyes. I definitely notice a slight improvement since I started watching a lot of 3D and 2D to 3D conversion. I suspect it's because such viewing gives the eyes a better workout than staring at a 2D image does. There's no way it's hurt them.

Glad to see you're still excited about the Acer. I wish I'd gotten it instead of a couple of other electronic toys lately. I'd really like to see for myself why people get so pumped up over it. Oh, well, I'm probably about a month away from delivery on my JVC RS40.

Here's what I'm afraid of. If the Sony and JVCs don't live up to expectations in 3D mode we'll hear about it and hear about it! This forum is a tough sell at the best of times. A lot of disparaging comments about these 3D projectors will not help 3D adoption. It may not hurt it much, but it won't help either. I'm literally holding my breath waiting for the first AVS reviews.

I guess I'm just a born again 3Der.
12:00 PM Liked: 182
post #97 of 442
11-28-2010 | Posts: 10,496
I suspect (based purely on preliminary reviews of the Sony and JVC 3D projectors) that they will have similar issues with crosstalk and flicker as the existing LCDs and plasmas. I'm more concerned about brightness with the projectors. That's something I haven't noticed a lot of people bringing up as a problem with the flat panels. I'm extremely happy that I have a DaLite High Power screen. I expect decent brightness. People with low gain screens, though, may find their 3D experience inadequate.

I'm also really curious to read the first reviews of the Sharp DLP 3D projector. Just as with the 720p projectors, this unit may have little to no problems with ghosting. The problem with the Sharp is that they've taken a $2,000 projector, added 3D and raised the price to $5,000 (although recent reports seem to have backtracked on that price). I'll be interested to see the first direct comparisons between the Acer and the Sharp. That should be fun.
curtishd's Avatar curtishd
02:54 PM Liked: 13
post #98 of 442
11-28-2010 | Posts: 1,743
What is the easiest way to watch 3D using this projector? Any way to just plug a bluray player directly into it and have it display 3D?
threed123's Avatar threed123
03:42 PM Liked: 39
post #99 of 442
11-28-2010 | Posts: 2,486
Quote:

Here's what I'm afraid of. If the Sony and JVCs don't live up to expectations in 3D mode we'll hear about it and hear about it! .

If past experience with many going from 720p to 1080p for 2D is an indication, then 1080p will not be a big leap in resolution for 3D and disappoint many who spent the bigger bucks, when 720p does almost as good a job. I felt this when I got my first 1080p projector, having watched 720p for 3 years. The 1080p was better, but not wow, like I expected. Many have felt this when upgrading. So enjoy the cheap (and I mean cheap) Acer for now....
NickB's Avatar NickB
04:22 PM Liked: 10
post #100 of 442
11-28-2010 | Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by gain3 View Post

You are lucky. However. Maybe not exactly Da-Lite quality, but if you are not into pull down screen anyway, theres another way of getting a "high power" retroreflective screen.
For example heres talk about making a screen like that:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diy-p...creen-use.html

these guys discovered that you can apply those glass beads yourself. Im goin to try this too. Supposed to give 3x gain, and if the viewing distance is far enough you won't have problem with the beads being uneven or even missing here&there. Im sure of it. Why?

-A fun fact: My DLP is dying right now, dyin mirrors ( Acer is very correct, giving 5 year warranty for DMD related problems.Kudos!!!) . There are two kinds of dead DLP mirrors. Ones that die in the ON state, emitting bright white (very distracting), and ones that die in OFF state, giving you black dead pixel. Funny , is when "black death" occurs , that ALWAYS occurs in pairs, double mirrors gone, so there is no single dead black mirror, they always die in pair. Sounds like it must be terribly distracting. But it isn't
This tells me, that even uneven glass bead spread would be acceptable with DLP. I think I make a huge screen.

The nice thing about the High Power is the uniformity is perfect. I had a Draper glass beaded screen before and it was pure cr@p compared to the HP. It was blotchy, uneven, and not very durable at all. Good luck if you try making one yourself.
Deja Vu's Avatar Deja Vu
05:31 PM Liked: 188
post #101 of 442
11-28-2010 | Posts: 4,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

What is the easiest way to watch 3D using this projector? Any way to just plug a bluray player directly into it and have it display 3D?

You will need the Optoma converter ($500 with one pair of glasses), which goes on sale supposedly next month, to make a 3D BD player compatible with any of the 720p 3D DLP projectors. That's assuming that it will work with anything but the Optoma projectors.
Al O's Avatar Al O
06:09 PM Liked: 12
post #102 of 442
11-28-2010 | Posts: 81
OptomaEMEA on youtube, tested the Acer H5360-Firmware verison A04 and confirmed it works with the Optoma 3D-XL
Deja Vu's Avatar Deja Vu
04:26 PM Liked: 188
post #103 of 442
12-04-2010 | Posts: 4,559
I just watched parts of Avatar and HTTYD in 3D on the Acer. I've seen them both in 2D and they're amazing in 3D. I guess there's no going back for me. If 3D fades away I'm going to be a very unhappy camper.
ricabullah's Avatar ricabullah
06:29 PM Liked: 10
post #104 of 442
12-04-2010 | Posts: 1,782
Quote:

I'm using the Nvidia Vision glasses and they work well once the software for the emitter is properly set. I've ordered one pair of Optoma DLP link glasses to see how these work. The 3D setting on the Acer has an Nvidia 3D mode and a DLP link mode you can set it to. Once you start 3D in the proper mode you can leave this and use the other modes.

Have you received them?
I bought one pair on ebay and still waiting.
And when i receive them i will try with Ati 6850 too even Ati doesn't show Acer on its supported PJ list.
chadcham's Avatar chadcham
09:36 PM Liked: 10
post #105 of 442
12-04-2010 | Posts: 8
One of the other members suggested I post my question under the Acer thread. -- I recently finished my HTPC + Nvidia 3D Vision setup with an Acer H5360 projector (with a Dual DVI to HDMI cable to play 3D), and I cannot figure out how to output HD audio to my receiver. The video card I'm using is a GT240 based card and the motherboard I'm using is a Gigabyte which has integrated HD audio out (optical and coaxial), however when I hook up the digital audio out from the PC to my audio receiver there's no sound (If I use the line out port I do get stereo output). The player I'm using for 3d blu-rays is PowerDVD 10, and I configured it to play to SPDIF / digital audio, but that didn't help.

Do I need to buy a separate sound card to send/process the digital audio? Blu-ray 3D movies look amazing on a 100' screen, but without full surround sound it just isn't a 'theater experience' yet.
ricabullah's Avatar ricabullah
05:58 AM Liked: 10
post #106 of 442
12-05-2010 | Posts: 1,782
DVI to HDMI in of my PJ,
HDMI out to HDMI in of my AVR. (bitstream-undecoded HD)
(i use 430)

Your card (240) is able to pass decoded HD audio (in your case PDVD decodes it) to your AVR over its HDMI out.

If your AVR doesn't have any HDMI in, you can't experience HD audio since SPDIF can not pass HD audio. (only dts or ac3)

In that case select "SPDIF" and set it as default on your "playback devices".
hanxiansheng's Avatar hanxiansheng
06:00 AM Liked: 10
post #107 of 442
12-05-2010 | Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Don't buy a PJ for full 1080 per eye 3D projection now since the only models availble are over 10K wait till after the CES show the first week of January and see what new models will be available next year.

I agree with that, I've made a mistake before.
ctn's Avatar ctn
07:39 AM Liked: 10
post #108 of 442
12-06-2010 | Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcham View Post

One of the other members suggested I post my question under the Acer thread. -- I recently finished my HTPC + Nvidia 3D Vision setup with an Acer H5360 projector (with a Dual DVI to HDMI cable to play 3D), and I cannot figure out how to output HD audio to my receiver. The video card I'm using is a GT240 based card and the motherboard I'm using is a Gigabyte which has integrated HD audio out (optical and coaxial), however when I hook up the digital audio out from the PC to my audio receiver there's no sound (If I use the line out port I do get stereo output). The player I'm using for 3d blu-rays is PowerDVD 10, and I configured it to play to SPDIF / digital audio, but that didn't help.

Do I need to buy a separate sound card to send/process the digital audio? Blu-ray 3D movies look amazing on a 100' screen, but without full surround sound it just isn't a 'theater experience' yet.

I had the same problem, no sound from hdmi. In my case, I have gtx 460 (sli). I connect DVI-HDMI on the pj, then HDMI-HDMI to the avr (denon 3311ci). If you are running windows 7, goto the change resolution tap and make sure that the thing says "span the desktop" or something to that effect, otherwise you will only have sound on the pj speaker but not your sound system. HTH.
Deja Vu's Avatar Deja Vu
12:07 PM Liked: 188
post #109 of 442
12-06-2010 | Posts: 4,559
I'm totally spoiled by 3D now. I've become a 3D junkie - heaven help us!

I watched part of A Christmas Carol in 2D just to compare it with the 3D experience. It just didn't work for me having seen it in 3D. I don't know what I'll do if 3D dies. I watched Monster House 3D last night. I'd seen it awhile ago on DVD and didn't really get into it. It was fabulous in 3D! I may get crazy and pay $40.00 for Space Station or Space Walk or whatever it's called. I think I need counseling.
12:17 PM Liked: 182
post #110 of 442
12-06-2010 | Posts: 10,496
Quote:

I watched part of A Christmas Carol in 2D just to compare it with the 3D experience. It just didn't work for me having seen it in 3D. I don't know what I'll do if 3D dies. I watched Monster House 3D last night. I'd seen it awhile ago on DVD and didn't really get into it. It was fabulous in 3D! I may get crazy and pay $40.00 for Space Station or Space Walk or whatever it's called. I think I need counseling.

You were blind but now you see, brother. Hallelujah!!!

I get irritated with people who bash 3D, but sometimes I just feel sorry for them. I keep thinking they can't possibly be seeing what I see, or they'd feel the rush, too. It's just plain sad.
ctn's Avatar ctn
01:23 PM Liked: 10
post #111 of 442
12-06-2010 | Posts: 163
Quote:

I'm totally spoiled by 3D now. I've become a 3D junkie - heaven help us! ....

Me too . I just finished ceiling mounted the pj. The new HP screen is next. I also have Avatar and HTTYD coming from ebay.
RetroElectro's Avatar RetroElectro
01:36 PM Liked: 14
post #112 of 442
12-06-2010 | Posts: 140
Quote:

Make sure you check out the space station thread before buying it. The 3DBD release has been modified from it's theatrical release. Probably changed to "fix" ghosting.
wanab's Avatar wanab
02:02 PM Liked: 10
post #113 of 442
12-06-2010 | Posts: 154
Hey, will this set up work? Acer 5360 ,Sony s470 with 3D firmware update, and Sony 3D deluxe stater kit 3DBNDL/ALICE ? ? Can't see spending $ $ $ on the Mitz 82 dlp set. I have a Mitz dlp 1000 projector now and 92" Firehawk. Please help save me....
05:16 PM Liked: 182
post #114 of 442
12-06-2010 | Posts: 10,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanab View Post
Hey, will this set up work? Acer 5360 ,Sony s470 with 3D firmware update, and Sony 3D deluxe stater kit 3DBNDL/ALICE ? ? Can't see spending $ $ $ on the Mitz 82 dlp set. I have a Mitz dlp 1000 projector now and 92" Firehawk. Please help save me....
You need a computer with a Blu-ray drive, an nVidia video card, playback software and probably a couple of other key items. Plus, you'll need guidance from someone here who's done it, especially if you don't have experience with computers (and specifically 3D on computers).
chadcham's Avatar chadcham
09:12 PM Liked: 10
post #115 of 442
12-06-2010 | Posts: 8
Thanks, it took some tweaking but it works now. It's got a limited sampling rate, but it still sounds excellent. Unfortunately my receiver doesn't have an HDMI input (it's a Onyko THX receiver that I can't part with).
Deja Vu's Avatar Deja Vu
07:33 PM Liked: 188
post #116 of 442
12-07-2010 | Posts: 4,559
I watched some of the IMAX stuff in 3D. Absolutely incredible! The thing I find about the Acer in 3D (as opposed to 2D) is that all the digital artifacts have disappeared! No screen door, no RBE (for me, at least) no dithering, no "ghosting", no flicker, no digital noise at all etc. I'm left with one of the cleanest images I've ever seen. I'm totally sold on DLP for 3D! After buying a NEC HT1000 DLP about 6 or 7 years ago and then upgrading to other technologies I never thought I'd go back to DLP. Well, I'm back big time.

I forgot to mention the little NEC LT150 DLP projector that I can blame for getting me hooked on front projection about 8 or 9 years ago.
threed123's Avatar threed123
07:54 PM Liked: 39
post #117 of 442
12-07-2010 | Posts: 2,486
Quote:

I watched some of the IMAX stuff in 3D. Absolutely incredible! .

Stop it, I can't stand it. I have my Acer still in the box--trying to sneak a peek when my wife isn't around--she still doesn't know I bought it, and I still have glasses coming...oh what have I done... or should I say, what have you done to me...
gain3
07:57 PM Liked: 10
post #118 of 442
12-07-2010 | Posts: 173
what this thing needs desperately is an "ultimate hush box" project.

It would be so ultimate it would involve swapping the colorwheel and bulb assembly for RGB PT120 powerLED's, two sets , for 2x gutted H5360.

You could use either time parallel 60hz linear polarized glasses, or stacked double LED drive@120hz, with convergence of optics aligned closely
I thikn you can "hijack" brilliantcolor™ with LED's easily.
LED brightness can be controlled by analogue means, reminescent of iris .

So we get a better remote too.
Deja Vu's Avatar Deja Vu
08:50 PM Liked: 188
post #119 of 442
12-07-2010 | Posts: 4,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Stop it, I can't stand it. I have my Acer still in the box--trying to sneak a peek when my wife isn't around--she still doesn't know I bought it, and I still have glasses coming...oh what have I done... or should I say, what have you done to me...

First the bad news - When your wife finds out, you're dead!
Now the good news. You're going to video heaven!

P.S. The guys with the expensive 3D projectors are now trying different settings etc. in an attempt to minimize "ghosting". Apparently dimming the image cuts the amount of visible "ghosting". We have a new mantra. O.K. everyone repeat after me, "We love a dim image, we love a dim image ......

Check out the quote in post #6574 in this link.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...77429&page=220

You'll note that the quote I linked contains some comments about DLP Link glasses vs. Nvidia Vision glasses people here might want to read. The point I'm trying to make is that the 3D 720p DLP projectors offer those who don't want to buy, or simply can't afford the 3D JVCs and Sonys a very inexpensive high performance alternative.
Syclone2530's Avatar Syclone2530
01:58 PM Liked: 10
post #120 of 442
12-08-2010 | Posts: 23
I finally have gotten my ACER H5360 up and running the way I want it to and I thought I would share my story in hopes it may help someone else.

Equipment:
AVR = Sony STR-DN1000
Projector =ACER 5360
Source=HTPC Q6600, W7, Nvidia GT430
HDMI Switch = Mono Price 4-to-1 HDMI 1.3 spec (not the newer 1.3b or 1.4)
Nvidia 3d Vision Glasses & Emitter

The first issue I had was a 65 ft HDMI cable from EForcecity – it would carry the 60HZ signal just fine, but when I tried to switch to 120HZ it would blink on and off. I pulled out an older, but 25% thicker, as well as only 50 Ft long HDMI cable and ran it and this cleared up and it worked just fine. Later I tried to run the 50ft cable under the house, only to come up about 3 ft too short. I added a improvised HDMI female/female connector using 2 HDMI-to-DVI (male/female) connectors I happened to have + a 6ft HDMI cable for extension, and I was now able to at least get picture at 120HZ, but it was severely degraded with red pixels popping up all over. I ordered a passive/bus powered HDMI booster cable joiner connector off of Ebay for $12 from Eforcecity and replaced the jury-rigged connection and now it works perfectly at 120HZ.
Booster Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/HDMI-1080P-Signa...ht_1746wt_1097

The second issue I had involved my non-3d capable receiver – Sony STR-DN1000. I bought it March 2010, just before the 3D capable 1.4 HDMI receivers came out – DOH! When run through the Sony AVR the HTPC would not recognize the ACER and I was not able to switch to 120Hz or enable Nvidia 3d Vision. The solution was to run the HDMI out of the GT430 card to the AVR for bitstream audio, and the the GT430 DVI port (with DVI-to-HDMI adaptor) to an old 1.3 spec Mono Price 4-to-1 HDMI switch (I had bought long before I had the HDMI switching AVR - no need to have a 4-to-1, as a 2-1 would work just as well here). For the Monoprice HDMI switch, the Sony AVR OUT was hooked up to 1 of the IN ports and the HTPC was hooked up to another IN port, the ACER H5360 was hooked up to the OUT. With this setup, it works great with the HTPC DVI (video) feeding directly to the Monoprice switch, and the other components (+ HTPC HDMI (audio) feeding into the Sony AVR.

Overall I am very impressed with the system. The extra brightness of 2500 Lumen of the H5360 over my previous Acer PH530 720P (1000 lumen) has allowed me to pitch the old Mitsubishi 65” CRT Rear projection TV that I had kept around for daytime viewing. I now project directly on the white wall at 152” diagonal. I sit about 17’ away from the screen and can only see a slight amount of screen door effect occasionally. Conversely with 3D I can sit 8’ away and the picture still looks smooth as silk! It is very immersive at that distance. The one remaining issue is that at 17’ the Nvidia 3D vision glasses lose sync for a few frames intermittently…I need to look into DLP-Link Glasses.

I love this projector!

Reply 3D Displays

Subscribe to this Thread