Sell a Pioneer Kuro 111-FD and get a Panasonic VT25? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-09-2010, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have a bit of a conundrum. Last year about this time i was looking into getting a brand new TV. I originally wanted 3D (hence my screen name) but came across a 111-FD in great condition and snatched it up from BB for $1999.

Reasoning was the praise it gets. "beautiful" "amazing" and "best TV ever made" I LOVE my TV, but even at 50" I'm still a little mad I didn't snatch the 151 for the extra $300 (I'm an idiot I know) I also figured 3D would cost more because I wanted the VT25 and no other TV. My personality is always get the best there is no matter how poor it makes you. I was also worried about 3D being gimmicky, not lasting very long and not being up to par. I never envisioned the content coming soon...

Well since than movies galore, channels galore and Sony is breaking my heart announcing every game in 3D. I never thought the PS3/360 could pump out 3D with the graphics of KZ, GT5 or the newly announced Uncharted 3.

My sister gets an employee purchase program from Panasonic, I can get a 54" VT25, Avatar, 2 glasses, blu ray player and it's $1900, normally $2500.

So here's my questions:

VT25 owners with knowledge, how's the image compare to 111-FD?

PS3 owners, have you seen PS3 games in 3D yet? (preferably GT5) and if so how is the effect?

Everyone else: Would you sell your 111-FD to get the VT25 for your primary TV?

I want to keep my Kuro, but I don't have space for 2 TV's of that size. I also don't want to spend the $2000 if I can get that for my current TV. I feel like getting rid of my TV is like selling a child you love dearly, lol. Any help, info and recommendations are welcome, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-09-2010, 10:14 PM

I'm buying a VT20 myself. I think if I had a Pioneer Kuro (I've got a 50c650) I would have had a tougher choice on my hands.

It just depends on how bad you want 3D. This is really the only upgrade your making, as the Kuro is still better in a lot of ways compared to the VT series from Panasonic.

I'm sure if you do sell your Kuro, there are plenty that would take it off your hands if the price was right.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Since you have waited this long why not give it another month and see what is announced at CES. I assume the Panasonic VT30 series will have everything the current VT25s have plus more to include 2D to 3D conversion and an improved black level retention that gets a little closer to the holy grail Pioneer Kuros - after all Panasonic did buy the patents for the Kuro technology from Pioneer.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-10-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV View Post

Since you have waited this long why not give it another month and see what is announced at CES. I assume the Panasonic VT30 series will have everything the current VT25s have plus more to include 2D to 3D conversion and an improved black level retention that gets a little closer to the holy grail Pioneer Kuros - after all Panasonic did buy the patents for the Kuro technology from Pioneer.

I thought about that last night about CES. My only worry is that they'll be at a premium as well when they're first released. My one issue is giving up PQ for 3D, unless the PQ is still very good. My Kuro is liking looking into a window at another world, it's not like watching TV, weird to say I know.

I'm very impatient, but I think this time I'll wait a bit. The first 3D game I want is Killzone 3 and that's not til February. See what CES has and maybe LED/LCD can have a strong showing as well, since they seem to be relatively cheaper right now. At the very least when new stuff is announced I might be able to get a TV for a steal.

2 questions remain:
Has anyone witnessed 3D gaming yet and how is it?
How bad are the LED/LCD issues with crosstalk/ghosting and so on?
post #5 of 9 Old 12-10-2010, 10:07 PM

Plasmas seem to have less crosstalk (especially the Panasonic) and I'll let you know about gaming in 3D when I get my TV on Sunday.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-12-2010, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanplumber View Post
Plasmas seem to have less crosstalk (especially the Panasonic) and I'll let you know about gaming in 3D when I get my TV on Sunday.
awesome, thanks! I'm dying to know how it looks, I know the movies look great, I saw those at the store.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-12-2010, 10:17 PM

i have a 5020 and a 6020 and a vt25 pioneer has better blacks and brighter colors but the vt25 has a better contrast if i didn't have the kuros i would say the vt25 was the best out there gaming in 3d is pretty good played black ops and gt5 and the blacks with the 3d glasses on are better than without
post #8 of 9 Old 12-12-2010, 10:20 PM

So initial impressions of Call of Duty Black Ops was disappointing. For some reason my eyes started straining after awhile. I was kind of struggling to see targets from a distant. I kept searching with my eyes on the screen for targets and it started bothering my eyes. I'm in still in the middle of hooking all my equipment up right now but I wanted to post first 15 min impressions.

Set looks good without 3D though so far.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-13-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick124 View Post

i have a 5020 and a 6020 and a vt25 pioneer has better blacks and brighter colors but the vt25 has a better contrast if i didn't have the kuros i would say the vt25 was the best out there gaming in 3d is pretty good played black ops and gt5 and the blacks with the 3d glasses on are better than without

Awesome thank you for the feedback. I have researched so much over all the different types of TV's and everytime it comes full circle to Panasonic VT20/25 being the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanplumber View Post

So initial impressions of Call of Duty Black Ops was disappointing. For some reason my eyes started straining after awhile. I was kind of struggling to see targets from a distant. I kept searching with my eyes on the screen for targets and it started bothering my eyes. I'm in still in the middle of hooking all my equipment up right now but I wanted to post first 15 min impressions.

Set looks good without 3D though so far.

hmm, I wonder if that's your particular eyes or getting acclimated to the 3D. I can imagine with games it may be eye straining though, glad to see you like the 2D at least though. I hate COD and Activision so their 3D is probably half ass like their games.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page