Good info thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 313 Old 12-16-2012, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have over the past few weeks considered replacing my old Stewart Firehawk with a Dalite High Power since the 3D picture from my Sony VPL-VW95 seems so dim.

However I ran the calculations of both screens using the Simple 3D Projection Calc spreadsheet - and it appears the brightness using the Stewart (1.3 gain but maintaining
60% of polarization based upon information provided in the first posting) is actually greater than that of the Dalite. I'm claiming 1.9 gain for the Dalite since the projector placement is less
than optimum for the screen. Using "0" for the percent of polarization maintained for the Dalite gives me a brightness rating of 10.6 fL compared to 11.6 for the Stewart.

Anyone care to comment or confirm?
post #273 of 313 Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewer View Post

i am looking to buy a screen for my hd33 projector. but i dont kow what gain i shall buy? i need to buy at least 100inches screen.

Describe projection room. Is it a dark man cave or traditional family or living room? Are you plan to watch in complete darkness or with some ambient light?
post #274 of 313 Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 PM

New developments.

I am putting up a new home theater for basement.

came across this option for projector:
epson w16sk

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=V11H494020&cookies=no#2

what do you guys think?
granted it is not 1080p -- but could it still be used

which screen is the most reasonable for passive 3d ( and should be good for 2 D also)for the money paid--what is your recommendation?
1) stewart 5d
2) da-lite silver lite 2.5
3) vutec silverscreen 3dp
4) harkness 240 material -- to be put on a screen
post #275 of 313 Old 01-28-2013, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlushan View Post

New developments.

epson w16sk

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=V11H494020&cookies=no#2

what do you guys think?
granted it is not 1080p -- but could it still

I think it would be waste of money and your effort. Why bother setting up wxga projector system that is also not capable of handling full hd? As Epson website says "Good for classroom" and I add not for your home theater. There are so many reasonable priced full hd pj's out there. Look for these and take you time. Good luck.
post #276 of 313 Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 AM

thanks for the advice and info from everone on this thread.

so will go for 2 projectors with 3dxl or geobox.

anyone can please help with sceen selection for 2d and 3d applications?? which one is good
i am trying for 130 to 150 inch screen,
2 rows of seating, first row will be about 11 feet-12 feet from screen

drlushan

5 Posts. Joined 1/2013

New developments.

epson w16sk

what do you guys think?
granted it is not 1080p -- but could it still be used

which screen is the most reasonable for passive 3d ( and should be good for 2 D also)for the money paid--what is your recommendation?
1) stewart 5d
2) da-lite silver lite 2.5
3) vutec silverscreen 3dp
4) harkness 240 material -- to be put on a screen
post #277 of 313 Old 01-15-2014, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anyone tried the Elite AcousticPro 4K material for 3D? I have a JVC RS-4810 with that screen material and I'm struggling to get good 3D (glasses are MonsterVision Max3D) no matter how much I tweak the settings on the RF emitter or the projector. Starting to wonder if the screen may be culprit...

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
post #278 of 313 Old 01-15-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well, JVC's are known for poor 3D, so that may be the problem too. I think the compromises of an acoustic screen just aren't worth it personally. Also higher gain would be good.
post #279 of 313 Old 01-25-2014, 09:51 PM

Liked: 13
Guys I need a help.

I own Acer HD5370BD which is 720p, 2500 Lumens and 13000:1 Contrast.
Needless to say, I use it only for HT purpose.

I have tried different screens at my place (considering availability in my region and constrained budget), I found Grandview to be the best of lot. I was not completely satisfied with the PQ and thought 5370 is just an average PJ and cant expect much from a $400 PJ.

I strictly use in nights in my living room which has light coloured 1) walls, 2) ceiling and 3) flooring, Probably Low Ambient Light..

However, when I projected 5370 on a off white wall, results were Amaaazingly Good. Beautiful Colors, Superb Contrasts, Amazing Depths in Blacks and 3D as well. I am blown and completely satisfied with the results.

Whatever screen I have tried were Matt White with gain of max 1.1. Issue I feel with Matt White screen is it looks too washed out. Blacks are mainly washed out and becomes PQ fades. Contrast is also eaten up by Screen. Colours become dull and lifeless.

So I was wondering to try out Carl's DIY Matt Grey screens which don't cost a fortune.

So my question is will Matt Grey be suitable for absorbing unwanted white levels and produce more depths in blacks. Also I want to know whether I can use it for Active 3D ?

Thanks Again !!
post #280 of 313 Old 01-29-2014, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTGallagher View Post

I have over the past few weeks considered replacing my old Stewart Firehawk with a Dalite High Power since the 3D picture from my Sony VPL-VW95 seems so dim.

However I ran the calculations of both screens using the Simple 3D Projection Calc spreadsheet - and it appears the brightness using the Stewart (1.3 gain but maintaining
60% of polarization based upon information provided in the first posting) is actually greater than that of the Dalite. I'm claiming 1.9 gain for the Dalite since the projector placement is less
than optimum for the screen. Using "0" for the percent of polarization maintained for the Dalite gives me a brightness rating of 10.6 fL compared to 11.6 for the Stewart.

Anyone care to comment or confirm?

Interesting, I was thinking about using the same High Power and for the same reasons. I have my PJ in the same relative position as you have and the calculator shows the same gain
in my front main seat as you have calculated.
I have tested the Da-Lite 2.4 ( samples) against my Screen Innovations Solar 4K 1.37 gain white screen and it does show a reasonable amount of gain in the best seats, the wider seats
only 25 degrees off axis are about the same gain as my fixed screen which is 1.37. My Solar 4K does not maintain polarization so there is no benefit . If you do not intend to drop your PJ
and the Stewart will give an equivalent brightness due to the polarization retention then it would be wise to stick with the Stewart . The new FireHawk is only 1.1 gain BTW are you referering
to that one or your older original screen?

The Stewart is expensive I would never buy that unless they gave you samples to test. Good luck with that as they refused to send samples to me. Apparently, they do not believe in this philosophy
and will only sell a screen based on their suggestions. Hmmmm, ever other manufacturer sent me samples and I'm glad then did as MANY are not even close to what they advertise. The Da-Lite
high power was everything they advertised btw, one of the few. And in case you do go for the Da-Lite, I can tell you the Elune Visions 2.4 is the exact same material and does work the exact same
way.
The Stewart products intrigued me but without samples, I don't think so, not at the prices they are asking. Instead, I'm going to make a Torus screen from Sintra and paint with Silver Fire. This will give
a much better picture that any of the manufactures and it should be done including the paint gun for under $1000, well under in fact, maybe two screens wink.gif
post #281 of 313 Old 01-30-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

My Vutec Silverstar is amazing for 3D. I am really wanting to get a Sony projector with the manual iris so I can turn down the 2D brightness. 4282 hours on my Epson 5010's bulb, still on eco mode and it is still a bit bright. 3D is sure amazing though.
post #282 of 313 Old 01-31-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

My Vutec Silverstar is amazing for 3D. I am really wanting to get a Sony projector with the manual iris so I can turn down the 2D brightness. 4282 hours on my Epson 5010's bulb, still on eco mode and it is still a bit bright. 3D is sure amazing though.

Is that the old 6.0 Vutek Silverstar? The new one has issues they will not sell it or even send out a sample.
post #283 of 313 Old 02-03-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the old one. Hadn't heard that about, or almost anything, about the new one. I was thinking of going passive 3D and getting the new curved Silverstar 3D-P.
post #284 of 313 Old 03-11-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I haven't been able to find much about the Silverstar 3D-P from real-world users or reviewers but I'm about to order one for my Panasonic PT-AE8000U so I'm going to find out first hand how it is. if there's anything noteworthy, I'll post it here.
post #285 of 313 Old 03-14-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheiden View Post

I haven't been able to find much about the Silverstar 3D-P from real-world users or reviewers but I'm about to order one for my Panasonic PT-AE8000U so I'm going to find out first hand how it is. if there's anything noteworthy, I'll post it here.

The new Silverstar 2.2 is around the corner, it is ISF certified too ,so it may be a good idea to wait . Many liked the older Silverstar 3D P but it certainly had its place . That panny is bright , I assume you will be lighting up a rally big screen or intending to do a lot of 3D viewing as
the original is like 3 gain.
post #286 of 313 Old 03-14-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
110" 2.35:1 with a 23' throw distance.
Had no idea a new one is coming but the room is nearly done except for screen and carpeting g so I'm not sure I could just wait for something new at this point. Jeez, I hope nothing's wrong with what I'm ordering. I loved my old Silverstar from 2006.
post #287 of 313 Old 03-14-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheiden View Post

110" 2.35:1 with a 23' throw distance.
Had no idea a new one is coming but the room is nearly done except for screen and carpeting g so I'm not sure I could just wait for something new at this point. Jeez, I hope nothing's wrong with what I'm ordering. I loved my old Silverstar from 2006.

If you had the product before and enjoyed it then you will likely be more than happy. The new ISF certified product , the 2.2 was shown at CIDIA in the fall. ISF means it has less color shift and grey scale shift than others not certified. In the bigger picture( excuse the
pun) that means diddlysquat . I have now tested over half the manufactures products in my search for a higher gain screen to use for 3D. Only a couple have been acceptable and what I mean by that is, they have been close to the product specs as advertized.

Bottom line is test first because you will not get your money back. These screens can cost an arm and a leg and it is wise to be sure before you take the initiative .
post #288 of 313 Old 03-17-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The 3D-P is for passive. You probably don't want that unless you are doing dual projector passive. It is curved to lessen the hotspot effect that comes with polarization maintaining screens. With a single projector and active glasses you want the 3D-A screen.
post #289 of 313 Old 05-26-2014, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Just ordered our new screen.  It is a Draper, the newest technology XT1800X, obtaining an amazing 1.8 gain!  Granted, this retails for almost $6k.  But I was able to obtain this for less. 

Here is a link to the screen: http://www.draperinc.com/ProjectionScreens/Surfaces.asp?fam=8&scdetail=124

Download the Technical Data Sheet for this viewing surface

Simply amazing from the limited research and people I have talked to so far.  Was going to order the Da-lite HD Pro 1.3, but found out that the Draper is supposedly superior.  Any feedback on whether this is really as good as they say it is?

post #290 of 313 Old 07-14-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomirage View Post
Just ordered our new screen.  It is a Draper, the newest technology XT1800X, obtaining an amazing 1.8 gain!  Granted, this retails for almost $6k.  But I was able to obtain this for less. 

Here is a link to the screen: http://www.draperinc.com/ProjectionS...8&scdetail=124

Download the Technical Data Sheet for this viewing surface

Simply amazing from the limited research and people I have talked to so far.  Was going to order the Da-lite HD Pro 1.3, but found out that the Draper is supposedly superior.  Any feedback on whether this is really as good as they say it is?
I just wonder what makes the price of these $k* screens ?...somebody throws a dice and add´s some zeroes.
shurely the materials don´t cost that much. I ques there´s gotta be something for everyone.
old corps likes this.
post #291 of 313 Old 07-14-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

well, there is research and design too. I know my Vutec Silverstar wasn't too cheap, but works like magic. One consideration is you will have your screen forever, no reason to be cheap on it. My screen has gone through like 6 different projectors.
post #292 of 313 Old 07-16-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaan Janne View Post
I just wonder what makes the price of these $k* screens ?...somebody throws a dice and add´s some zeroes.
shurely the materials don´t cost that much. I ques there´s gotta be something for everyone.
I suppose R&D plus the fact these are hand made as opposed to mass manufactured in some factory overseas somewhere. Funny how everyone wants quality but are not prepared to pay
the cost of manufacture by ourselves. Then, on the other hand , many complain about overseas products.....go figure.

I have the 1.8 Draper TecVision on the way as well, it is in a 2.35 format and curved 36' radius. My cost is substantially less than $6k, closer to half that to be honest. My screen is fixed frame and 132" diagonal, still not a give away.

I have tried just about every product made and this is the first one that is worth the money. Well, I'm going by a sample, hoping the full screen is much better to be honest. I will report back
in a couple of weeks with my observations. At that time I should hopefully have a 120" diagonal Screen Innovations 2.35:1 screen for sale. Like new condition , flat and fixed performance frame.

Last edited by roxiedog13; 07-17-2014 at 06:35 AM.
post #293 of 313 Old 07-16-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

can't wait for your report. I love my Vutec Silverstar. Really tempted to go passive 3D with that curved Silverstar 3D-P.
post #294 of 313 Old 07-16-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post
can't wait for your report. I love my Vutec Silverstar. Really tempted to go passive 3D with that curved Silverstar 3D-P.
Putup your comments on how good the screen was in terms of ghosting.

i have HQ Linear filtters, i spray painted myself a silverscreen with proper paint and i was not happy with the amount of ghosting that is on screen with my
polarizers. I got samples from da-lite and harknes but i gotta say any of those samples did not show any better result in terms of lesser ghosting, and i have always
made fixed painted screen and had great picture, and after my silverscreen samples i was so dissappointed and that´s why i have oppinnion about *k screens being over the top and just waste of money.
but i would love to get me proven wrong
post #295 of 313 Old 07-16-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the old Silverstar, not for passive 3D. It doesn't maintain polarization at all. It is just a really high gain screen. Amazing for active 3D though.
I have harkness screen material for passive and the image was pretty awful. Looked like there was a cloud over it. I think because it is designed for large theaters where you don't sit so close to the screen. I didn't have it stretched, but doubt that would fix the whole problem. Every review I have read says the harkness is best for not ghosting though. Really wish there were more reviews, especially of that Silverstar 3D-P. It is a big investment for an un-reviewed product.
post #296 of 313 Old 07-16-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I have the old Silverstar, not for passive 3D. It doesn't maintain polarization at all. It is just a really high gain screen. Amazing for active 3D though.
I have harkness screen material for passive and the image was pretty awful. Looked like there was a cloud over it. I think because it is designed for large theaters where you don't sit so close to the screen. I didn't have it stretched, but doubt that would fix the whole problem. Every review I have read says the harkness is best for not ghosting though. Really wish there were more reviews, especially of that Silverstar 3D-P. It is a big investment for an un-reviewed product.
So you have ditched omega setup and gonna go polarized ?
post #297 of 313 Old 07-16-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I really want to. I keep hoping something like the 4k RED laser projector that was supposed to have passive built in.
post #298 of 313 Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaan Janne View Post
Putup your comments on how good the screen was in terms of ghosting.

i have HQ Linear filtters, i spray painted myself a silverscreen with proper paint and i was not happy with the amount of ghosting that is on screen with my
polarizers. I got samples from da-lite and harknes but i gotta say any of those samples did not show any better result in terms of lesser ghosting, and i have always
made fixed painted screen and had great picture, and after my silverscreen samples i was so dissappointed and that´s why i have oppinnion about *k screens being over the top and just waste of money.
but i would love to get me proven wrong
I will be very, very disappointed if I experience more ghosting than I do now. Ghosting is caused by many different factors only one being the screen. My new Sony VW600 has more ghosting
overall than my last JVCRS46 did, everything else being the same. The difference was subtle but was noticeable. I do watch a lot of 3D content so this will be something I will be very aware of
if indeed it does occur. I will watch a 3D movie on my existing screen first then place the new screen in place and run the same movie. If it has issues I will be very forthcoming with that report and also very disappointed at the same time. This screen is advertised to work well for active 3D, if it disappoints it will be going back.
post #299 of 313 Old 07-17-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
This new Silverstar 3D-P has been on the radar since last year this time. Not sure what are the issues but I could not wait any longer for that product and the reason I purched this 1.8XT TecVision material from Draper. I tried to get a sample of the new Silverstar but they would not send that either. Production issues is the excuse, hopefully they can work it out, the material sounds promising .
post #300 of 313 Old 07-17-2014, 03:31 PM

how can you return an screen if you don´t like it ?
isn´t it like a car. your bad if you don´t like it and the fact it does not handle well allthough accelerates superb fast.
shuerly one can always sell it half price if one don´t like it

Are you saying roxiedog13 screen affects ghosting in active 3D ?

shurely it does on passive but in active.
Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page