Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #301 of 307 Old 07-17-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I assume some places have return policies on screens. Shipping is the issue. That will cost if it isn't local.
I agree with Vaan, I don't think the screen can have a lot of effect on ghosting for Active 3D. The projector/glasses is the source. With the Sony projectors (at least on my 55) there is a brightness setting on the glasses that affects ghosting. I don't let ghosting bother me as much as some people so I don't mind it on the Sony, but it is clearly worse than my old Epson 5010 for ghosting. Technology is part of it. DLP's tend to have less ghosting yet.
The other factor is the glasses. I tried a few different brands and the Sony glasses, in addition to being the most expensive, were the worst at ghosting. Give the Samsung 5150 glasses a try. They are crazy light, lighter than passive glasses from the theater, and have less ghosting than the Sony glasses, and they are super cheap. I don't know how Samsung does it. They are a big reason I am holding off on going passive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 307 Old 07-17-2014, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post
I assume some places have return policies on screens. Shipping is the issue. That will cost if it isn't local.
I agree with Vaan, I don't think the screen can have a lot of effect on ghosting for Active 3D. The projector/glasses is the source. With the Sony projectors (at least on my 55) there is a brightness setting on the glasses that affects ghosting. I don't let ghosting bother me as much as some people so I don't mind it on the Sony, but it is clearly worse than my old Epson 5010 for ghosting. Technology is part of it. DLP's tend to have less ghosting yet.
The other factor is the glasses. I tried a few different brands and the Sony glasses, in addition to being the most expensive, were the worst at ghosting. Give the Samsung 5150 glasses a try. They are crazy light, lighter than passive glasses from the theater, and have less ghosting than the Sony glasses, and they are super cheap. I don't know how Samsung does it. They are a big reason I am holding off on going passive.

Thanks for the tip on the 5150 glasses, will look that up. Not sure if they work with my VPL600, sounds like a winner for sure. I have 3 pairs of the sony glasses and 3 aftermakrket that are not much better the Xpand Lite RF model X105-RF-X1.
The Xpand do a much better job of blocking the stray light though and that is huge for active 3D viewing.
post #303 of 307 Old 07-17-2014, 05:00 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaan Janne View Post
how can you return an screen if you don´t like it ?
isn´t it like a car. your bad if you don´t like it and the fact it does not handle well allthough accelerates superb fast.
shuerly one can always sell it half price if one don´t like it

Are you saying roxiedog13 screen affects ghosting in active 3D ?

shurely it does on passive but in active.

As I remember if a screen retains a certain degree of polarization then it can cause ghosting . My screen is curved as well and I seem to remember a possible component there too.

Can I return the screen? If I pay that kind of cash out and the screen is not near perfect, I would expect the manufacturer to remedy the problem especially when their on-line brochure
states excellent for active 3D. I hope to never even have to consider the same actually . Should know within a week or so..........
post #304 of 307 Old 07-17-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
Thanks for the tip on the 5150 glasses, will look that up. Not sure if they work with my VPL600, sounds like a winner for sure. I have 3 pairs of the sony glasses and 3 aftermakrket that are not much better the Xpand Lite RF model X105-RF-X1.
The Xpand do a much better job of blocking the stray light though and that is huge for active 3D viewing.
They will work. I have the Sony and XPAND 105 bluetooth glasses too. The XPAND's are certainly better than the Sony but the Samsungs a so much lighter. However they have don't have the structure on the side so they don't block light. I wouldn't wear anything else, but I do have a bat cave so stray light isn't an issue. Try changing the 3D brightness setting on your projector, that makes a huge difference.
"As I remember if a screen retains a certain degree of polarization then it can cause ghosting." I really don't think so. I don't have a big problem with the ghosting on my Sony 55, but it is there on occasion. You have put a lot of money into your system, I bet it is amazing in 2D. If the ghosting still bugs you after changing the 3D brightness setting, I would recommend picking up a cheap DLP just to see how ghosting is with that, like the Optoma HD-25LV or Benq 1070. That way you can eliminate your screen as an issue.
post #305 of 307 Old 07-18-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
They will work. I have the Sony and XPAND 105 bluetooth glasses too. The XPAND's are certainly better than the Sony but the Samsungs a so much lighter. However they have don't have the structure on the side so they don't block light. I wouldn't wear anything else, but I do have a bat cave so stray light isn't an issue. Try changing the 3D brightness setting on your projector, that makes a huge difference.
"As I remember if a screen retains a certain degree of polarization then it can cause ghosting." I really don't think so. I don't have a big problem with the ghosting on my Sony 55, but it is there on occasion. You have put a lot of money into your system, I bet it is amazing in 2D. If the ghosting still bugs you after changing the 3D brightness setting, I would recommend picking up a cheap DLP just to see how ghosting is with that, like the Optoma HD-25LV or Benq 1070. That way you can eliminate your screen as an issue.
Well, I guess I'll be ordering up a couple of pairs of the Samsung to try. I had the Sony HW50ES before the VPL600, it was an awesome projector but the 600 is certainly a huge leap over that
PJ which is a good thing at that price point.
I too have a bat cave but you would be really surprised how much reflected stray light enters from the side. This reflected light entering inside the eye socket area will cause glare from the inside of the glasses and this is compounded if you are wearing prescription eye wear.
I've tried the different settings on the glasses, reducing the brightness reduces the ghosting but the image brightness to not always a good compromise. Still hard to complain, the 600 is amazing and with my new curved Draper TecVision XT1800 1.8 gain I hope to improve the overall experience again.......................I hope.
post #306 of 307 Old 07-18-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I bet it is beautiful. I think the general agreement is to get the best 2D and best 3D you need two projectors. I would give the benq 1070, or optoma hd25e a shot. They won't have anywhere near the 2D quality, but they should be ghost free in 3D.
post #307 of 307 Old 07-22-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
I bet it is beautiful. I think the general agreement is to get the best 2D and best 3D you need two projectors. I would give the benq 1070, or optoma hd25e a shot. They won't have anywhere near the 2D quality, but they should be ghost free in 3D.
I considered this for a while but opted for the simplicity of one projector. Now, I may actually consider a second VPL600 down the road when the price drops then you have an even better setup.
Not sure how alignment of a 4K projector would go but it is a though still at this point. To be honest, I think my current setup with the higher gain screen, the fact that it is curved and I have a bat cave will probably be enough. We shall see, soon I hope
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page