post #181 of 313 Old 03-26-2011, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ana_moo_ana View Post

Thank u Ron, I'm looking for 114" fixed frame around 1,300$. I did some modification for the projector hight and used the calculation sheet, I'll get 1.6 gain from HP if I placed the projector 88" above the floor with eye level of 41" & throwing distance of 135.5".

I believe the 1.6 gain for the HP with the geometry you used would be for the viewing position centered with the screen. If you move perhaps 3 ft. to the right or left of center that will probabaly drop to something like 1.3.

For 2D viewing you will find that any screen with a gain of even 1.0 will be adequately bright on a 114" screen, when used in a fully light controlled home theater. So for 2D you have a lot of choices for a fixed frame screen ranging from the low cost models, such as from Elite, to moderated priced models from Carada and Dalite. However, it you are looking for a screen that will give you a boost in brightness for 3D viewing then you can either go with an inherently high gain screen or one with moderate gain that also retains a significant amount of the polarization of the projected light. Unfortunately this whole area of 3D and polarization retension is very new and most manufacturers have not ideal how there screen materials perform as far as retaining polarized light. So for now we only know how screens perform in this regard based on tests being performed by AVS members and thus we do not have a comprehensive list of which screen materials actually maintain significant levels of polarization. Also if you look at the list of screen materials and the test results in Post #1 of this thread you need to realize that some of those materials are only sold with roll-down screens while other are only sold on fixed frame screens. As far as the Dalite fixed frame screens are concerned, in addition to the high power fabric you mention above, the Cinema Vision is a viable alternative in the angluar reflective category. While not as high quality overall as the more expensive Stewart Studiotek 130, the DaLite Cinema Vision fabric can be purchased with several different models of Dalite frames, starting with their budget Perm-Wall series and moving up to their higher quality (and better looking) Cinema Contour series. While the actual gain of the Cinema Vision appears to be a little lower than the rated 1.3 gain, it does maintain quite a lot of the polarization of the projected light and will give you a boost in brightness for 3D viewing if you use a JVC projector in combination with JVC 3D shutter glasses (i.e., but don't use the Xpand glasses which have the opposite polarization). The AVS store sells DaLite screens, so I suggest you give Mark a call to see what he can do for you, or to see if he has any other suggestions.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 313 Old 03-26-2011, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I believe the 1.6 gain for the HP with the geometry you used would be for the viewing position centered with the screen. If you move perhaps 3 ft. to the right or left of center that will probabaly drop to something like 1.3.

For 2D viewing you will find that any screen with a gain of even 1.0 will be adequately bright on a 114" screen, when used in a fully light controlled home theater. So for 2D you have a lot of choices for a fixed frame screen ranging from the low cost models, such as from Elite, to moderated priced models from Carada and Dalite. However, it you are looking for a screen that will give you a boost in brightness for 3D viewing then you can either go with an inherently high gain screen or one with moderate gain that also retains a significant amount of the polarization of the projected light. Unfortunately this whole area of 3D and polarization retension is very new and most manufacturers have not ideal how there screen materials perform as far as retaining polarized light. So for now we only know how screens perform in this regard based on tests being performed by AVS members and thus we do not have a comprehensive list of which screen materials actually maintain significant levels of polarization. Also if you look at the list of screen materials and the test results in Post #1 of this thread you need to realize that some of those materials are only sold with roll-down screens while other are only sold on fixed frame screens. As far as the Dalite fixed frame screens are concerned, in addition to the high power fabric you mention above, the Cinema Vision is a viable alternative in the angluar reflective category. While not as high quality overall as the more expensive Stewart Studiotek 130, the DaLite Cinema Vision fabric can be purchased with several different models of Dalite frames, starting with their budget Perm-Wall series and moving up to their higher quality (and better looking) Cinema Contour series. While the actual gain of the Cinema Vision appears to be a little lower than the rated 1.3 gain, it does maintain quite a lot of the polarization of the projected light and will give you a boost in brightness for 3D viewing if you use a JVC projector in combination with JVC 3D shutter glasses (i.e., but don't use the Xpand glasses which have the opposite polarization). The AVS store sells DaLite screens, so I suggest you give Mark a call to see what he can do for you, or to see if he has any other suggestions.

Thank u very much for ur replay, very comprehensive & educational
my room will have only one window that will be covered, I'm also planning to paint the room with grey (dark grey for the front wall) so yeah it will be light controlled HT. I'm also limited in space so I'll use the shortest throw distance. Using the calc sheet for cinema vision it gave me 1.24 center and 1.05 left & right (the wiered thing is that when I use retro-active "R" it give 1.2 even gain on all sides ) Anyway, I think I'll take your advice & go with Cinema Vision. I already contacted AVS store, unfortinatlly the don't ship overseas
post #183 of 313 Old 04-01-2011, 02:06 AM

Thank you for informative thread! It has a lot of imformation.
post #184 of 313 Old 04-07-2011, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Has anyone tested 3D performance of the Vutec SilverStar? And if yes, how does it compare to the CV & HP for High/Low projector positioning?

As I get closer to locking in the seating arrangement, projector position and screen size for our new HT, I have enjoyed reading this thread.

On the projection wall, I will have 3-0 doors on either side of a 124" wide clean surface. I figure my screen size will max out at 100-110" width to leave breathing room as well as room for masking.

The HT will be two level with the front row couch/head location approx 11-12' back. The 2nd row will be 2 steps (16") higher and 9' deep. My wife would prefer we have flexible second row seating, and rather than a large centered couch like the front row, probably two groups of 3 comfy chairs left and right. If we went with this arrangement, I could have an equipment rack/stand behind the front row, dead center and shelf mount the Sony vw90 just above the 1st row seated head height position. It might look pretty cool if the equipment rack is not too tall, with maybe the Sony on top. I would consider running the HP with this setup.

I am still leaning toward ceiling mounting the Sony, and while I'm not sure about location, I have the flexibility to provide mounts /cabling anywhere in the ceiling I wish. I am thinking about running a 2.35:1 & 16:9 combo setup, ie a 110" 2.35:1 screen with side masking to 16:9. I would then position the projector, such that max zoom would fill the 2.35:1 screen width, and then I could zoom in to fill the side masked 16:9 screen area. This set up would provide a slightly brighter 3D experience because I expect most 3D to be 16:9. This ceiling mount option would not benefit the HP, except maybe for the 2nd row viewers. So I am wondering if the CV (or similar angular reflective screen) will be the best choice. I also wonder about the SilverStar.

If anyone has links for interesting, furniture equipment racks that might sit behind the 2nd row with the Sony either on top or on the top shelf, let me know.

Thanks in advance. Great thread!

RJ

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #185 of 313 Old 04-08-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Has anyone tested 3D performance of the Vutec SilverStar? And if yes, how does it compare to the CV & HP for High/Low projector positioning?

As I get closer to locking in the seating arrangement, projector position and screen size for our new HT, I have enjoyed reading this thread.

On the projection wall, I will have 3-0 doors on either side of a 124" wide clean surface. I figure my screen size will max out at 100-110" width to leave breathing room as well as room for masking.

The HT will be two level with the front row couch/head location approx 11-12' back. The 2nd row will be 2 steps (16") higher and 9' deep. My wife would prefer we have flexible second row seating, and rather than a large centered couch like the front row, probably two groups of 3 comfy chairs left and right. If we went with this arrangement, I could have an equipment rack/stand behind the front row, dead center and shelf mount the Sony vw90 just above the 1st row seated head height position. It might look pretty cool if the equipment rack is not too tall, with maybe the Sony on top. I would consider running the HP with this setup.

I am still leaning toward ceiling mounting the Sony, and while I'm not sure about location, I have the flexibility to provide mounts /cabling anywhere in the ceiling I wish. I am thinking about running a 2.35:1 & 16:9 combo setup, ie a 110" 2.35:1 screen with side masking to 16:9. I would then position the projector, such that max zoom would fill the 2.35:1 screen width, and then I could zoom in to fill the side masked 16:9 screen area. This set up would provide a slightly brighter 3D experience because I expect most 3D to be 16:9. This ceiling mount option would not benefit the HP, except maybe for the 2nd row viewers. So I am wondering if the CV (or similar angular reflective screen) will be the best choice. I also wonder about the SilverStar.

If anyone has links for interesting, furniture equipment racks that might sit behind the 2nd row with the Sony either on top or on the top shelf, let me know.

Thanks in advance. Great thread!

RJ

As I recall, Rod (rdjam) was going to request a sample of the Vutec Silver Star material for testing as to how well it retained polarization. However, I haven't seen any posting yet to indicated if he has received or tested the sample. As a starting point I suggest to do a search on the Screen Forum for reviews of the Silver Star for it 2D performance. I know there was some discusson of the Silver Star quite some time ago (perhaps an older version of the Silver Star) in the High Power Review Thread.

Ron Jones
post #186 of 313 Old 04-08-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I called Vutec and have 8"x10" silverstar and pearlbrite samples headed my way. I will compare with a 1.0 matte screen with my vw90. I will report in a similar fashion as has been reported already.

I am interested to see how overall performance of the two screen samples perform, 2D and 3D.

When I am finished, I will gladly donate these samples to the cause if anyone would like them.

post #187 of 313 Old 04-08-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Joerod uses a silverstar. You could probably search for his reviews.
post #188 of 313 Old 04-08-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Clue View Post

Joerod uses a silverstar. You could probably search for his reviews.

I know, but I question his judgement, since he picked the RS60 over the vw90.

Just kidding Joe.

BTW... Rob McDonough at Sony, suggested the Stewart Ultramatte 150 and the expands x103 glasses. Rob also said he expected the 3D glasses to improve with future generations.

post #189 of 313 Old 04-16-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Which specific Draper screen material are you calling HP? The only one I see on their web site (HERE) that would seem to qualify is their "Glass Beaded" screen material.

Hi Ron,

I think he was asking about Drapers M2500. Draper has just changed the formulation some. I have the previous version of M2500 myself and I am interested if it retains polarization. The screen is angular reflective and is a perlescent screen. The version I have has a gain of about 1.7. I have a sample of it from Draper if you are interested.

Ron
post #190 of 313 Old 04-17-2011, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

Hi Ron,

I think he was asking about Drapers M2500. Draper has just changed the formulation some. I have the previous version of M2500 myself and I am interested if it retains polarization. The screen is angular reflective and is a perlescent screen. The version I have has a gain of about 1.7. I have a sample of it from Draper if you are interested.

Ron

I you want to mail me the sample, I can test it (send me a PM). What type of video projector are you using with your M2500? If it produces polarized output then you can easily test your screen to see if it retains polarizaton.

Ron Jones
post #191 of 313 Old 04-17-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

I you want to mail me the sample, I can test it (send me a PM). What type of video projector are you using with your M2500? If it produces polarized output then you can easily test your screen to see if it retains polarizaton.

I have a JVC LCOS projector. Older model RS1 but similar to latest models I would think.
post #192 of 313 Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

I have a JVC LCOS projector. Older model RS1 but similar to latest models I would think.

You RS1 puts out linear polarized light with a horizontal orientation. To test just use any of the alternatives in the list below as your viewing filter. Then while projecting an bright video image from with your RS1 onto your screen use the polarizing "filter" for viewing the screen. While viewing thru the polarizing "filter" rotate it 90 degrees (or more) and see if the projected image seems to get brighter and dimmer. The max. and min. brightness will be with the filter rotated to positions that are 90 degrees apart. After you do the test post how much the image on the screen seems to dim when viewing with the filter oriented to provide the dimmest image from the screen to re-oriented to provide the brightest image from the screen.

Polarizing "filters" you can use to view thru for doing the test:
  • sunglasses with polarizing lens
  • polarizing filter used on a camera (you may need to try viewing in one direction thru the filter then turn it over and view in the other direction thru the filter*)
  • RealD 3D glasses that are passed out at theaters when you see a 3D movie (you will need to turn the glasses around and view thru them backward from normal*)

If the viewing filter you are using has circular polarization (such as the RealD glasses), rather than linear, then viewing thru the filter backward from the normal direction will allow it to work as a linear polarizing filter.

Ron Jones
post #193 of 313 Old 04-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hi Ron, thanks for the outstanding thread. A couple of questions for the experts here please:

1. What in the screen determines polarization retention? The way it's manufactured or the material it's made of?

2. Is above characteristic under control of the screen manufacturer? In other words, is this parameter something that they have complete control of during the manufacturing process, or is it an empirical measurement done once a screen has been made?

3. If 2 is true, I would assume there will be a new line of "polarization perfect" screen in the near future? TIA

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 Here and Diagrams & Surround Speaker Rec. Here
Give vinyl and tube gears a try - the sound from heaven :-).
post #194 of 313 Old 05-06-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolplazma View Post

Confirmed my prior findings for 3D mode with the JVC RS40.

The Stewart Firehawk G3 (1.25 gain) sample works great with correctly oriented JVC (horizontal) shutter glasses, and it goes 100% black when the glasses are held vertically. There is no way you could use ExpanD x103 glasses (vertical p.) with this screen material & pj series (40/50/60).

Hi,

I have the original Stewart Firehawk material (1.35 gain) and although I haven't personally tested it yet, l believe it also maintains a high level of polarization.

Assuming for discussion purposes that it has the same level of polarization retention as the G3, does that mean that no other 3D glasses are going to be suitable whatsoever?

I've got 8 seats in my theater and I've purchased 6 pair of JVC glasses, but I was wondering if I could find two pair of much less expensive third party glasses that, while maybe not as good as the JVCs, would nevertheless be adequate?

Larry
post #195 of 313 Old 05-06-2011, 07:29 PM

All

Can a silver screen work with active shutter glasses, so I can support both passive and active 3D systems off one screen ? I'm going with 2 720p projectors for passive but is there a way to sync these with the active shutter glasses ?

I want maximum flexiblity if cost makes sense, and silver screens are not all that expensive these days. However, if I cannot do this then I'll focus on games as 3d theaters are always available for movies ... 3D for me is games and self-made content

thanks
pyro
post #196 of 313 Old 05-07-2011, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro2003 View Post

All

Can a silver screen work with active shutter glasses, so I can support both passive and active 3D systems off one screen ? I'm going with 2 720p projectors for passive but is there a way to sync these with the active shutter glasses ?

I want maximum flexiblity if cost makes sense, and silver screens are not all that expensive these days. However, if I cannot do this then I'll focus on games as 3d theaters are always available for movies ... 3D for me is games and self-made content

thanks
pyro

A silver screen could be used with active 3D systems (perhaps not ideal, but it will work). For your dual 720p projector setup the most straight forward approach for using it for active 3D would be for at least one of the projectors to be a 3D-ready 120Hz DLP model and then use just that one projector for active 3D projection and then use both projectors for the passive 3D mode. For the 3D ready projector you could either use the new Acer model H5360BD equipped with HDMI 1.4a inputs and can be directly used with most 3D sources. The older "3D-ready" DLP models, equipped with HDMI 1.3 inputs, will require an outboard 3D processor (Optoma makes one) to be compatible with non-PC 3D sources (e.g., blu-ray player, PS3, Directv, Cable TV boxes, etc.).

Ron Jones
post #197 of 313 Old 05-08-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolplazma View Post

The Stewart Firehawk G3 (1.25 gain) sample works great with correctly oriented JVC (horizontal) shutter glasses, and it goes 100% black when the glasses are held vertically. There is no way you could use ExpanD x103 glasses (vertical p.) with this screen material & pj series (40/50/60).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi,

I have the original Stewart Firehawk material (1.35 gain) and although I haven't personally tested it yet, l believe it also maintains a high level of polarization.

Assuming for discussion purposes that it has the same level of polarization retention as the G3, does that mean that no other 3D glasses are going to be suitable whatsoever?

I've got 8 seats in my theater and I've purchased 6 pair of JVC glasses, but I was wondering if I could find two pair of much less expensive third party glasses that, while maybe not as good as the JVCs, would nevertheless be adequate?

Larry

Hi,

Last night I tested the polarization retention of my original Stewart Firehawk material. I don't know whether I've done it correctlty, but I used the closing credits of a movie and viewed it through reversed RealD glasses. As expected the dimmest image occured when the RealD glasses were tilted at 90 degrees. However, unlike the rating of 4 listed in the first posting, I estimated the dimming was no more than 40-60%.

So returning to my original question above, if for discussion purposes a screen material were to have near 100% polarization retention, then if we were to use a third party pair of glasses with vertical polarization, then we should expect an almost total blackout of the image?

However, since my screen material retains about 50% of the polarization does this suggest that I should consider buying a couple of pair of ExpandX glasses if I am not concerned with perfect performance? How much dimmer should I expect these glasses to be in comparison with the JVC glasses? 50%?

Thanks.

Larry
post #198 of 313 Old 05-08-2011, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi,

Last night I tested the polarization retention of my original Stewart Firehawk material. I don't know whether I've done it correctlty, but I used the closing credits of a movie and viewed it through reversed RealD glasses. As expected the dimmest image occured when the RealD glasses were tilted at 90 degrees. However, unlike the rating of 4 listed in the first posting, I estimated the dimming was no more than 40-60%.

So returning to my original question above, if for discussion purposes a screen material were to have near 100% polarization retention, then if we were to use a third party pair of glasses with vertical polarization, then we should expect an almost total blackout of the image?

However, since my screen material retains about 50% of the polarization does this suggest that I should consider buying a couple of pair of ExpandX glasses if I am not concerned with perfect performance? How much dimmer should I expect these glasses to be in comparison with the JVC glasses? 50%?

Thanks.

Larry

Larry -

Just view a 3D program thru your JVC glasses but tilt your head 90 deg. to the side. This is how dim it would look if you used the Xpand glasses. From virtually all reports the JVC and X103 glasses have identical performance except for the orientaton of the polarizing element, so the JVC glasses rotated 90 deg. have the same light loss as would the X103's in their normal position.

Ron Jones
post #199 of 313 Old 05-08-2011, 07:19 PM

Thanks Ron, currently I have a LCD (Sony HS60), would it be a problem mixing it with the Acer DLP ? I'm saying Silver only because I need both retractable and high gain (not much light control in room) and relatively low cost in Hong Kong: Elite Powergain (1.8), even a few unknown brand Chinese makes have it, this is my second projection room and mostly for games but not planning for 3d movie seems silly for expandability

cheers
pyro

Quote:

A silver screen could be used with active 3D systems (perhaps not ideal, but it will work). For your dual 720p projector setup the most straight forward approach for using it for active 3D would be for at least one of the projectors to be a 3D-ready 120Hz DLP model and then use just that one projector for active 3D projection and then use both projectors for the passive 3D mode. For the 3D ready projector you could either use the new Acer model H5360BD equipped with HDMI 1.4a inputs and can be directly used with most 3D sources. The older "3D-ready" DLP models, equipped with HDMI 1.3 inputs, will require an outboard 3D processor (Optoma makes one) to be compatible with non-PC 3D sources (e.g., blu-ray player, PS3, Directv, Cable TV boxes, etc.).

post #200 of 313 Old 05-08-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Larry -

Just view a 3D program thru your JVC glasses but tilt your head 90 deg. to the side. This is how dim it would look if you used the Xpand glasses. From virtually all reports the JVC and X103 glasses have identical performance except for the orientaton of the polarizing element, so the JVC glasses rotated 90 deg. have the same light loss as would the X103's in their normal position.

Hi Ron,

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

So theoretically if I had a screen with near 100% polarization retention, when I tilt my head 90 degrees with the JVC glasses I should see a practically black image?

Thanks.

Larry
post #201 of 313 Old 05-10-2011, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Larry -

Hi Ron,

Well, maybe my original Firehawk screen retains more polarization than I thought. Tilting the JVC glasses by 90 degrees seem to reduce the brightness by more than 50%. Although its not a total blackout, in my opinion the image is still way too dim to justify buying the XpanD X103 glasses.

Larry
post #202 of 313 Old 05-12-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro2003 View Post
Thanks Ron, currently I have a LCD (Sony HS60), would it be a problem mixing it with the Acer DLP ? I'm saying Silver only because I need both retractable and high gain (not much light control in room) and relatively low cost in Hong Kong: Elite Powergain (1.8), even a few unknown brand Chinese makes have it, this is my second projection room and mostly for games but not planning for 3d movie seems silly for expandability

cheers
pyro
Since your Sony is a LCD projector it will put out light that is already polarized. I haven't seen any info what type of polarization this model would have. Some LCD projectors have different colors polarized at different orientations in which case they are not well suited for use in a passive 3D projection system. Also you will need to be to adjust the two projectors used for a passive system to provide similar brightness. For more on passive 3D, dual projector setup I suggest to take a look at the existing thread on the Ullimate 3D Projection System (HERE) in the AVS $3000 and over projectors section of the forum.

Ron Jones
post #203 of 313 Old 05-19-2011, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What is the most affordable silver screen that is decent? Link Please. Thank you.
post #204 of 313 Old 05-20-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

What is the most affordable silver screen that is decent? Link Please. Thank you.

I've tested a bunch of samples(not all, just mainly the big companies) for crosstalk and the best I've found was the Harkness sample.....Blackshark uses it in his setup here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1299974

If you want the cheapest polarizing silver screen possible.....which has just the slightest bit more crosstalk than harkness.... you can buy a piece of 4x8 drywall($6) and some rustoleum aluminum paint($6), make sure to coat it in flat black paint($5) first, spraying is preferable
post #205 of 313 Old 05-30-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I am looking to get a jvc RS40, but it would be nice if i could get a screen that played nice with the xpand 103s i currently have for my plasma.

I know that the Da-Lite HP screens are very popular and keep no polarization, but the restrictions for mounting options are pretty difficult for my room (nearly eye level).

Are there any other decent higher gain screens that will be good for a white room with pretty well controlled light, but that won't retain polarization? i'm looking for something around 100" and with a gain of 1.8 or more. Like i said, the HP sounds great, but the placement issue is a difficult one in my room.
post #206 of 313 Old 06-01-2011, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

I am looking to get a jvc RS40, but it would be nice if i could get a screen that played nice with the xpand 103s i currently have for my plasma.

I know that the Da-Lite HP screens are very popular and keep no polarization, but the restrictions for mounting options are pretty difficult for my room (nearly eye level).

Are there any other decent higher gain screens that will be good for a white room with pretty well controlled light, but that won't retain polarization? i'm looking for something around 100" and with a gain of 1.8 or more. Like i said, the HP sounds great, but the placement issue is a difficult one in my room.

Since it appears that a retro-reflective screen, such as the Da-lite HP, won't work for you then you would be looking at angular-reflective screen materials. Of those tested so far (as listed in Post #1 of this thread) once you get up to gains in the range of 1.3 to 1.4 most retain some polarization and there have been no angular-reflective screens with higher gain (e.g., 1.8) tested that do not retain significant polarization. Check out the table in Post #1 and look for screen materials that are rated as 0 or 1 for "polarization rating".

Ron Jones
post #207 of 313 Old 06-01-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Since it appears that a retro-reflective screen, such as the Da-lite HP, won't work for you then you would be looking at angular-reflective screen materials. Of those tested so far (as listed in Post #1 of this thread) once you get up to gains in the range of 1.3 to 1.4 most retain some polarization and there have been no angular-reflective screens with higher gain (e.g., 1.8) tested that do not retain significant polarization. Check out the table in Post #1 and look for screen materials that are rated as 0 or 1 for "polarization rating".

Yeah, i have been looking at how i can make stuff work, and i can mount the projector about 8 feet behind the couch... we have a ledge i can put it on. It'll be about 17-18 feet back but it can mount about 5" above eye level, or more if i put the projector on something. Since i have a white room, i think the HP screen is the way to go, especially for brightness in 3d mode.
post #208 of 313 Old 06-02-2011, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am about to update my media room and going with the JVC RS40 (ceiling mount). My room will be controlled lighting and viewing would be 50% TV/sports and 50% movies (with some 3D). However, I a little unsure about the screen. I'm also wanting to use the Xpand glasses. My budget on the screen is up to $1800. I looking at the Screen Innovations Gamma HD (1.1 gain) and Solar HD (about same price). Also looking at a lower priced Vutec Bright White (1.3 gain). What do guys think about these screens? Or are there any other screens that you recommend in this setup?
post #209 of 313 Old 06-04-2011, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1074 View Post

I am about to update my media room and going with the JVC RS40 (ceiling mount). My room will be controlled lighting and viewing would be 50% TV/sports and 50% movies (with some 3D). However, I a little unsure about the screen. I'm also wanting to use the Xpand glasses. My budget on the screen is up to $1800. I looking at the Screen Innovations Gamma HD (1.1 gain) and Solar HD (about same price). Also looking at a lower priced Vutec Bright White (1.3 gain). What do guys think about these screens? Or are there any other screens that you recommend in this setup?

In order to be able to use the Xpand X103 glasses with the RS40 without significant dimming of the 3D image, you will need a screen that retains little or no polarization. This is not something the screen manufacturers typically test for or include in their spec. sheets for their screen materials. The Solar HD material has been reported to not retain significant polarization so that should work for you (I have not tested it myself). I have not seen any info on how much polarization is retained by the Screen Innovations Gamma HD material nor for the Vutec Bright White. You could request samples of these screen marterials and test them for yourself or instead select a screen material already known to not retain much polarization (from Post #1 of this thread). Be aware that manufacturers can change their screen formulation without changing the name of the screen material and as a result there can be a difference in the polarization retension between older and newer versions of the screens sold under the same name.

Ron Jones
post #210 of 313 Old 06-11-2011, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have the Vutec Silverstar 120" I bought from AVScience. It doesn't retain polarization very well, though I am not sure how to measure it. I highly recommend it. Of course, doesn't everyone recommend the screen they bought? It makes my 2D Panny ae2000u with probably 300 lumens in color1/eco-mode bulb look bright. For 3D, with my Acer 5360, I get an amazing bright 3D image, even in low power mode. In 2D it is blinding bright. Really unusable.
They are now making new versions of the Silverstar for 3D, one for active and one for passive. If I was getting a screen now I would get the passive polarized screen for sure.
http://www.vutec.com/products/fixed-...star-3d-p.html
Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page