How Are Your Guest Handling Your 3D Glasses? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-03-2011, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The first time I had guest over I made sure to mention that the glasses cost me one fitty. I think you have to do that cause they may think that they are just like the one given out in theaters and not respect them. Regarding kids, I have to keep an close eye on them as they will treat them like junk.

Yesterday I had someone take off their glasses and put them on a seat only to have another come along and sit on them. That was the end of those glasses. They offered to pay for them and I'm debating on whether or not to chalk them up or collect and replace. Since it was my wife's niece she also offered to replace them. How are you guys doing with the glasses and guest (or family)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-03-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
When my niece and nephew were over I just let them know the glasses are delicate. I tried to keep my eye on them to make sure, if/when they took off the glasses, where they put them. My daughters were pretty good in taking the glasses and put them in their pouch
post #3 of 10 Old 01-03-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Found early-on that the Panasonic 3D glasses are very fragile. Originally started with 3 pair. Within the first 30 days two of them had to be returned under warranty replacement for cracks. One in the cross beam that holds the frame of the lenses. Either it was a flaw when manufactured or just the stress from tightly fitting on the face. Found it cracked in the box when I needed to use them.

With the other pair I found the battery cover that holds the lithium battery secure, on the bottom of the case where pieces of plastic were found that used to form the shape of the hole where the screw goes to lock it. They were new and I never opened or tightened the cover.

They were replaced without a problem from Panasonic, though I'm still out the cost of the postage and from insuring the contents.

Now I have 8 pairs of glasses that come in handy for holiday company. Needless to say I state at the time making it known to everyone how much they cost, how fragile I find them from recent experience and I also give instructions to everyone and especially to the young children NOT to touch the lenses with the fingers.

Now I have a ritual of checking each pair for damages after use and at the same time cleaning them for the inevitable fingerprints. WHAT A HASSLE!
post #4 of 10 Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was a little nervous while showing people 3D stuff on New Years eve - not the safest time for expensive flimsy plastic glasses - but the 4 pairs I have survived fine, without me having to be a glasses nazi. The fact that the ultra clear glasses are only $50 a pair makes it easier though, as it lowers the cost of replacement into a more palatable range.
I do have a quick question though, how robust are the lenses on shutter glasses? Is their any danger of damage with normal handling, including touching the lenses with fingers?
post #5 of 10 Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppabk View Post
I do have a quick question though, how robust are the lenses on shutter glasses? Is their any danger of damage with normal handling, including touching the lenses with fingers?
For me, "Normal handling" with the lenses, has not been a problem, even with cleaning fingerprints using a gentle polishing motion. The possibility of someone curious who could decide to see or test if they can squeeze a lens may warrant the danger of damage.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 PM

my 5 year old neice was watching the deep sea, but the glasses dropped from her head, because glasses were too big for her, and hit the table. Suprisingly the left lens cracked.
Actually suprised me how fragile they are, my aunt and uncle offered to pay for them but I didnt take it. I just bought the Tv 1 hour before they came, and glasses came with it. I just went back to best buy and exchanged for a new one.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-04-2011, 02:03 AM

I have method that helps a little.
See my post here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19412498
Using a ball cap to support the Panasonic glasses, it helps to keep fingers off the lenses and avoid guests treating the frames like a turkey wishbone.

I just bought 12 broken pairs of the original Panasonic glasses on ebay, most just have broken frames some have the wiring torn out, I think I can rescue at least 1/2 of them but I will need to dump the frames and make a bracket to attach to the hat and run the wiring for the battery and PC board to the top of the brim.

Sure wish they would just sell the glasses for what it costs to make them, guessing about $25 a pair, I bet 3D would take off faster with reasonable glasses prices.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'll have to check eBay to see what the Samsung glasses are going for now. I got extra pairs from seller there with a price much lower than what Samsung was charging. Hopefully the price is even lower now.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-04-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

I'll have to check eBay to see what the Samsung glasses are going for now. I got extra pairs from seller there with a price much lower than what Samsung was charging. Hopefully the price is even lower now.

Are you using the Samsung IR glasses, if so the ultra-clear glasses are a decent replacement at ~$50 a pair.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I don't even tell anyone it's a 3-D set, so they can't break the glasses.

This is one good thing about the passive technology, glasses are cheap and visitor and kid friendly.
Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page