Sony XBR HX929 65", Full 3D & Full-Array Local Dimming LED Backlighting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 65 Old 01-06-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Twenty-seven new Sony BRAVIA HDTVs were introduced. The leading character, and the new Sony flagship, will be the XBR HX929-Series, with full 3D capability and full-array local dimming LED backlighting. It's loaded with Internet features, and comes in three sizes: 65-, 55-, and 46-inches. Prices TBD. Available in March. Some of the new models also use Corning's new Gorilla Glass. It's said to be more resistant to damage than conventional glass...

http://www.hometheater.com/content/sony-cirque

Wow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 01-07-2011, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

I you think about it, this display makes a huge statement:

After a long absence Sony re-establishes itself as the premier brand name in LCD televisions.

Fundamental was Sony's board of directors pushing out Stringer as CEO and letting back in innovative future-growth mindset. Quality has returned.

Consumer Reports currently rates the XBR-52HX909 (also with full 3D capability and full-array local dimming) as the best 2D and 3D LCD display, so this 65" should be a good bet.

For whatever reasons (profitability?), Samsung and Vizio have abandoned including the best technology in their 65" panels.
post #3 of 65 Old 01-07-2011, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I am really looking forward to see one of these in the test labs.
post #4 of 65 Old 01-07-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

I you think about it, this display makes a huge statement:

After a long absence Sony re-establishes itself as the premier brand name in LCD televisions.

Fundamental was Sony's board of directors pushing out Stringer as CEO and letting back in innovative future-growth mindset. Quality has returned.

Consumer Reports currently rates the XBR-52HX909 (also with full 3D capability and full-array local dimming) as the best 2D and 3D LCD display, so this 65" should be a good bet.

For whatever reasons (profitability?), Samsung and Vizio have abandoned including the best technology in their 65" panels.

I hadn't realized that Sony had a "long absence" from the LCD TV market... their LCD TVs have been among the best for over five years IMO.

By the way, what do you mean regarding Samsung and VIZIO abandoning "their best technology" in their 65" panels?

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #5 of 65 Old 01-07-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Sony Press Release:

Driving Picture Quality
From full HD 1080p Blu-ray Disc, to broadcast HD, to user-generated Internet Video content, processing of incoming content is essential for an excellent picture. To this end, Sony has upgraded the BRAVIA processing power with the new X-Reality PRO and X-Reality Engine digital video processors.
The X-Reality PRO Engine is a two-chip digital video processor that optimizes high definition content, compressed HD signals, standard definition, and other sources including low resolution Internet content. Utilizing a vast database of "ideal" signal patterns developed by analyzing and indexing and enormous library of film and video, the X-Reality PRO Engine compares incoming signals pixel-by-pixel with ideal scenes to display vivid and detailed images.
Additionally, the engine's multi-frame analysis helps create missing resolution and Sony's Super Bit Mapping technology incorporates 14 bit up-scaling, processing and pixel mapping to smooth gradation and improve the quality of low-tone pictures.
Found in select models, the single chip X-Reality Engine utilizes Sony's Intelligent Image Enhancer technology to deliver outstanding picture quality. Incoming video is separated into constituent parts (outline, texture, and color/contrast), and the appropriate image enhancement is added to each part. The engine also uses Intelligent MPEG Noise Reduction to automatically detect the incoming sources and noise level to apply the appropriate amount of noise reduction for each scene.
Also new for select models is Sony's Intelligent Peak LED Backlight which uses full array local dimming for deeper blacks, while also boosting brightness in lighter scenes creating incredible on-screen contrast, while Sony's OptiContrast panel elevates the picture to the front surface of the TV and creates a dark background for rich, vibrant, high contrast picture even in well-lit rooms.
Sony's MotionFlow™ XR builds on previous versions of the company's motion compensation technology and helps to reduce blur caused by quick camera movements, enhancing sharpness and creating a clearer picture.

Simplifying User Interface and Functionality
Select new BRAVIA models feature Sony's improved user interface that delivers uninterrupted viewing and intuitive navigation. Retaining the intuitive operation of the award-winning Xross Media Bar (XMB™), the new UI provides uninterrupted viewing by disseminating the video and placing key menu functions and favorite along the bottom and side of the picture frame.
Additionally, the models feature an improved remote control and offer control via the Media Remote application on iPhone, iPod Touch or Android mobile device. The app, which can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or the Android Marketplace, functions as a full remote with keyboard, allows online content search, and playback.

BRAVIA XBR-HX929 Series 3D Capable HDTV
Available in April, Sony's new 3D capable (with the addition of Sony active shutter glasses, sold separately), XBR-HX929 series features brilliant full HD (1080p) picture quality with Sony's Intelligent Peak LED backlight for outstanding contrast.
The model also features Sony's MotionFlow XR 960 featuring a precise backlight control that is synchronized with the liquid crystal movement from frame to frame creating clearer, sharper moving images.
The beautifully designed model features Sony's improved Monolithic Design Concept that draws viewers into the picture when the TV is turned on, and blends into the room décor when turned off. The 2011 Monolithic Design BRAVIA models incorporate Corning®'s Gorilla® Glass allowing for thinner, lighter, and stronger screen material.
With integrated with Wi-Fi (802.11n), the XBR-HX929 models offer instant access to thousands of Internet movies, videos and music from BRAVIA Internet Video and Qriocity. Sony's Media Remote app provides simple operation and search for internet content.
The XBR-HX929 models are also custom installation friendly with key features such as rear IR-input and a two-way RS232c connection for easier integration with third-party control systems.
Other XBR-HX929 Series features include:
Brilliant Full HD (1080p) picture quality with full-array local dimming LED backlight
Sleek Monolithic Design with OptiContrast Panel Technology
Integrated Wi-Fi (802.11n)
Skype™ ready in 720p high definition
BRAVIA Internet Video and Qriocity
X-Reality™ PRO Engine
MotionFlow™ XR 960
Rear two-way IR inputs and two-way RS232C control
Screen sizes include 65-inch (XBR-65HX292, which is available in August 2011),
post #6 of 65 Old 01-08-2011, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

By the way, what do you mean regarding Samsung and VIZIO abandoning "their best technology" in their 65" panels?

A great answer to this difficult question:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19790649
It must hurt a bit when the expectations were so high.
post #7 of 65 Old 01-11-2011, 03:32 PM

Question: Why do you need gorilla glass on a tv? I can understand it on a laptop or mobile device where you might drop it or something but my tv is mounted on a wall. Nothing touches it, ... ever... what's the gorilla glass for?

Even if I had it on a table, I don't routinely throw anything at a tv. And little kids are likely to just touch it, not break it.
post #8 of 65 Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred69 View Post

Question: Why do you need gorilla glass on a tv? I can understand it on a laptop or mobile device where you might drop it or something but my tv is mounted on a wall. Nothing touches it, ... ever... what's the gorilla glass for?

Even if I had it on a table, I don't routinely throw anything at a tv. And little kids are likely to just touch it, not break it.

That is true once you get the set mounted or set up. But from personal experience, I ordered a KDL-NX810 from sonystyle.com and the set got delivered with a nice big crack in the middle of the screen..the box that it came in was in great condition.
post #9 of 65 Old 01-12-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm interested. Hopefully the price is not going to be crazy high
post #10 of 65 Old 01-14-2011, 02:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 394
^^^ Come on this is Sony we are talking about, lol.
post #11 of 65 Old 01-14-2011, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A great answer to this difficult question:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19790649
It must hurt a bit when the expectations were so high.

I read "pmalter0's" opinions of the Vizio and would have to disagree with those opinions.

I was quite impressed with both the Vizio and the LG passive displays at CES and saw none of the issues "pmalter0" is claiming.

Cheers
Davyo
post #12 of 65 Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
^^^ Come on this is Sony we are talking about, lol.
As far as crazy prices - I'm talking *Samsung crazy*. Like their top of the line TV from last year - wasn't it $8K for a 55 inch screen or something similar? I hope Sony is not going to do the same price wise with their top of the line this year....
post #13 of 65 Old 01-14-2011, 11:00 AM

This is the one I'm thinking of getting.Hopefully it comes in a bundle with a Ps3 and the Starter Kit.

How much do you guys think it's going to cost ?

Also,is Sony again going with the IR signal for there active or go Bluetooth like Samsung ?
post #14 of 65 Old 01-14-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

This particular 65 inch model goes on sale in August, so I'm guessing they might add some extra features that 46 and 55 inch models might not have.

As far as price - my guess is it's going to be around $7K when it goes on sale in August, and it will be a lot less in November-December, when I'll be getting it
post #15 of 65 Old 01-14-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun
Twenty-seven new Sony BRAVIA HDTVs were introduced. The leading character, and the new Sony flagship, will be the XBR HX929-Series, with full 3D capability and full-array local dimming LED backlighting. It's loaded with Internet features, and comes in three sizes: 65-, 55-, and 46-inches. Prices TBD. Available in March. Some of the new models also use Corning's new Gorilla Glass. It's said to be more resistant to damage than conventional glass...

http://www.hometheater.com/content/sony-cirque

Wow!
The Sony 55HX929 is on my list of sets to consider, along with the Panasonic 55VT30

JBL Pro Cinema
post #16 of 65 Old 01-14-2011, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Sony XBR HX929 at the CES:
post #17 of 65 Old 01-24-2011, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Will Sony once again favor whizzy features over picture quality?

Somehow, I suspect so.

I'd love to see something that could match the performance of the 55XBR8, but suspect we may be disappointed again.
post #18 of 65 Old 02-01-2011, 05:31 PM

I can't wait to see this against the Panasonic VT30. But the real question is the price.
post #19 of 65 Old 02-01-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:

Probably has something to do with weight. Gorilla glass allows for lighter glass that is stronger than a thicker heavier panel.
post #20 of 65 Old 02-02-2011, 12:32 PM

Looking forward to seeing better pics and quality reviews, but this appears to be the 65" HDTV I've been waiting for SONY to make.
post #21 of 65 Old 02-03-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

Somehow, I suspect so.

I'd love to see something that could match the performance of the 55XBR8, but suspect we may be disappointed again.

You suspect correct. The real issue is one of control, as manufactures want consumers to access the Internet through their proprietary hardware and interface. They can then track the sites you visit then insert targeted advertising.

Some TV manufactures are about to introduce the all essential keyboard to their interface.
But step back for a moment, and realize that we already own a PC which no one else controls. (They want to, but that would be too obvious.)

Sony, LG, Vizio and Samsung all want a piece of the Google advertising revenue. In the meantime this distraction stifles them from releasing TV's with better picture quality.
Similar redundant, soon-to-be-obsolete trends are well underway with Blu-ray players and even receivers. It is totally out-of-control.

As an extreme example: a $500 Blu-ray player even includes a eStata hard drive port, but it can't share the files and won't decode some popular formats. One could almost buy a blu-ray based htpc for this price alone.

Only a HTPC offers free time shifting. If you put an antenna in the attic the HDTV programming is free too.
In summary, I want my TV to display beautiful images, my Blu-ray player to play discs and my PC to access the Internet.
Forrest Gump would call it simple-stupid.
post #22 of 65 Old 02-04-2011, 07:51 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

You suspect correct. The real issue is one of control, as manufactures want consumers to access the Internet through their proprietary hardware and interface. They can then track the sites you visit then insert targeted advertising.

Some TV manufactures are about to introduce the all essential keyboard to their interface.
But step back for a moment, and realize that we already own a PC which no one else controls. (They want to, but that would be too obvious.)

Sony, LG, Vizio and Samsung all want a piece of the Google advertising revenue. In the meantime this distraction stifles them from releasing TV's with better picture quality.
Similar redundant, soon-to-be-obsolete trends are well underway with Blu-ray players and even receivers. It is totally out-of-control.

As an extreme example: a $500 Blu-ray player even includes a eStata hard drive port, but it can't share the files and won't decode some popular formats. One could almost buy a blu-ray based htpc for this price alone.

Only a HTPC offers free time shifting. If you put an antenna in the attic the HDTV programming is free too.
In summary, I want my TV to display beautiful images, my Blu-ray player to play discs and my PC to access the Internet.
Forrest Gump would call it simple-stupid.

Exactly, and I'll add my cell phone to talk to people.
post #23 of 65 Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Unbelivable, I can hardly wait for this godly 65" monolithic beast...this is definitely the set that will replace my 2007 50" 1080p Kuro.

Pioneer KURO PDP-5010FD 1080p plasma
Pioneer SC-1523-K Dolby PLIIz +THX 9.2 surround
Sony BDP-S790 bluray player
post #24 of 65 Old 02-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriS2K View Post

Unbelivable, I can hardly wait for this godly 65" monolithic beast...this is definitely the set that will replace my 2007 50" 1080p Kuro.

I am looking forward to this also. I have the 60 now and a year over due.
post #25 of 65 Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't bet on that. While my 1 year old might not intentionally throw something at the set, if he is waving his arms around with a toy in hand, it is likely to land anywhere (including the TV panel) when he decides to let go.

I bought an HX909 in early January and love the picture. It started at a retail of $4,299 and I bought it for $2,399 (pus an extended warranty) from a Sony store in Canada.

It looks like just made it under the wire. the HX929 will not come in a 52" (46/55/65) and a 52" is just right for our room.

The HX series produces a brilliant picture and the black levels are amazing. After the loss of the Pioneer Ellite Kuro models, the Sony HX909/929 are great replacements.
post #26 of 65 Old 02-14-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

Somehow, I suspect so.

Try the current HX909. It has better picture quality than the XBR8 and at a reasonable price.
post #27 of 65 Old 02-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I want to see the 65 inch as well. I am concerned about the price being too high but it appears to meet all my criteria.
post #28 of 65 Old 02-16-2011, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The XBR-8 had what they call the TRILUMINOS RGB LED backlight, which is one of the things that made it so expensive. The 2011 XBR HX-929 doesn't have the triluminous backlighting, but it will have full array local dimming. With the other technology improvements that have happened during the last three years, I would expect the HX-929 to beat the XBR-8, but even if it doesn't, it should be very close. It will be disappointing if it's not.

But the 55" XBR-8 sold for $7000 and like the Pioneer Kuro series, there simply isn't enough of a market for these super high-end sets, no matter how good the technology was, especially for the mass market producers like Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, etc. It's not like these things can be built in a garage - these companies have $multibillion factories - they have to sell a ton of sets.

As with others, I want to compare this set to the Panny VT-30. But I think the Panny is going to be much less expensive. The 55" Panny is going to list for $2800. The 2010 Sony HX-909 is $3600 (and when it was first released, it was $4000), so I think the HX-929 is going to be at least that.

As for the other frills, the quality of the picture is completely independent of the ability to stream the internet, etc. Different engineering teams work on these things. (Do you think the inclusion of extra cup holders or better stereo speakers in your car negatively impacts the engine design?) One thing I like about the HX-929 is that it's going to have WiFi built in. I have a Sony BD player with WiFi built in and it's a pleasure to use.

My problem with the streaming capabilities is that the industry seems very undecided about where it belongs. They're putting it in BD players, in A/V receivers and in TVs. I think it's too confusing for most consumers to have some services only available via the BD player, some via the receiver and some via the TV, all with somewhat different interfaces. And I haven't seen a single device that supports Ethernet over HDMI as yet, which means each device will need its own connections either via Ethernet or WiFi. I realize not everyone uses an A/V receiver, but the industry needs to get its act together in this regard, IMO.

I doubt very much whether I would ever use Skype on the TV. If one is sitting feet from the TV, I can't imagine the audio being very good. It would have made more sense, although this is more of a business tool, if they had supported GoTo Meeting, although that would have required a camera as well. A set like this would be great for video conferences.

The free streaming services do usually contain advertising (like Pandora, if you don't pay for the subscription.) But the paid services, like Amazon On-Demand or Netflix don't and won't have advertising. So I think it's a bit paranoid to worry about this too much.

Someone above posted that Howard Stringer is no longer Sony CEO. Don't know whether the poster was simply mistaken or a troll, but that is not the case. Stringer is still Chairman, CEO and President of Sony Corporation. Unless you can prove otherwise.
post #29 of 65 Old 02-26-2011, 03:11 PM

I found a website with specs. You can also pre-order it. Here you go!

abt.com/product/52358/Sony-XBR55HX929.html
post #30 of 65 Old 02-26-2011, 05:05 PM

I cannot wait to see the black monolithic behemoth that is said to be the 65" HX929.

As mentioned in another thread, I've not trembled in fright over a TV since the XBR8 and Sammy B8500. I think these HX929's are going to be phenomenal. I'll take the black monolithic styling over anything out right now, including any of samsungs silver bezel flash (c8000 & new d8000). Silver/chrome/metalic bezel (even .2 inches of it) just doesn't work in my opinion.

I will be wearing diapers to the magnolia room, once the they get one of these 65" 929's in.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page