CES, my viewing of passive vs active, to me, passive wins !!! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 67 Old 01-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anxious to see the comparisons between the 2 techs. Hopefully vendors will get the demos set up in unbiased environments.

Davyo, What is up with the ,,,,? Trying to figure that out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Noob View Post

Hello,

I don't want to drag this important conversation too far off onto a tangent, but can you say a teensy bit more about what you did or didn't like about the Xpands when used with the Panasonics? I'm considering just such a combination myself, you see. Do the Xpands play nice when it comes to PQ? Thanks.

-Noob

I don't remember which panels were used for demonstrations in the XPand booth. The key, for me, with the XPand glasses (aside from the fact that they worked, unlike the Sensio stuff I demoed) is that they were very comfortable and they controlled light in my peripheral vision very well. The more that a set of glasses allowed light in my peripheral vision, the worse the experience for me (3D requires a bit of visual "concentration" for me). The Panasonic glasses worked reasonably well in the dim "booth" demos, but were terrible out on the floor. Given this difference, it is why I say that I would prefer the XPand system with basically any ASG system (aside from Optoma -- those were good). To really judge PQ critically, though, I'd need to get it away from the LVCC. As I indicated, I was mostly looking for specific artifacting issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Yes, the Vizio CES demo I saw was on the second floor in the south hall, I didnt make it over to the Wynn Hotel for the main Vizio showing.

Not sure if Im reading yor post correctly or not,,,,,, are you saying you liked the Vizio 3D effect/experience more than the Panasonic 3D effect/experience,,,,sadly for me,, I didnt get a chance to see 3D on the Panasonic's at CES and am really wondering if it is much better than the 3D on the current VT25 series Panny plasma's ???

Cheers
Davyo

I think that I've been pretty clear that you shouldn't be critically judging a lot of PQ issues based upon what you saw at the show. At best, you might be able to test comfort, general effectiveness of the system, and you might be able to see some artifacting. Last year, artifacts were very, very noticeable. This year, the systems seemed to be a lot better.

Given the environment the Vizio "booth" was in (top of the stairs in the South Hall, on the main foot traffic route from the South Hall to the Central Hall -- so lots and lots of people passing by [distraction] with harsh lighting and bad demo material), I would not make any kind of a purchase decision based upon what I saw or did not see. This is especially true since a lot of focus at the show was on "connected appliances" with TV manufacturers spending a lot more time talking about FaceBook, Hulu and Netflix than 3D quality. And they were spending almost no demo time really touting true image quality issues (Panasonic and Sharp were, to an extent).

Color accuracy evangelist and CalMAN insider
post #63 of 67 Old 01-18-2011, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon View Post

Davyo, What is up with the ,,,,? Trying to figure that out.

Ok,,, Ya stumped me on that one Brandon ??????

Cheers
Davyo
post #64 of 67 Old 01-18-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Ok,,, Ya stumped me on that one Brandon ??????

Cheers
Davyo

He's referring to your (over)use of commas (and other punctuation) in a sentence.

e.g.: Most people would type:
"Ok, Ya stumped me on that one "

But you include a couple extra commas:
"Ok,,, Ya stumped me on that one "

All of your posts are heavy on the commas. Doesn't bug me, but it is certainly out of the ordinary.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #65 of 67 Old 01-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

He's referring to your (over)use of commas (and other punctuation) in a sentence.

All of your posts are heavy on the commas. Doesn't bug me, but it is certainly out of the ordinary.

shinksma

ok its not just me, I thought I was missing an emoticon or something. Sorry about that!
post #66 of 67 Old 01-18-2011, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

shinksma

Ahhhh,,,,,, understood

I think the reason I type like that (using lots of commas and stuff) is an over reaction to reading posting's here over the years that have zero punctuation, no use of paragraphs, sentences all ran together and really really bad spelling (Im guilty of the bad spelling every so often),,, so for those reasons I guess I went to the extream with my (,,,,,,,,, and ??????'s)

Cheers
Davyo
post #67 of 67 Old 06-02-2011, 08:47 PM

Liked: 10
I hear a lot of talk about the Panasonic vt30 but no one has commented about LG's flagship plasma which is active. I've heard stunning reviews on this panel and some have even gone so far as to say that the pq is as good as the infamous Kuro. I'll let you all know soon because I just ordered the LG 60PZ950 today. For $2K, it's a steal over LCD passives and the Panasonic vt30. I think the panny is going for $3k+ and we all know the large LCDs are over $4k. Just my 2 cents.

scarri3r
Reply 3D Displays