The "Official" Optoma 3DXL Owner's thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1729 Old 03-09-2011, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi !

I just got my 3D-XL, and I'm using it with an optoma HD67.
No receiver, everything is plugged directly : HD 67 -> 3D-XL -> Bluray player.

It works fine, but I'm have some flickering.
I bought a better HDMI cable, I do hope it will help.

BTW, I also bought a Panny BDT 110. I tried the 2D/3D conversion, but it failed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1729 Old 03-09-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elesias13 View Post

Hi !

I just got my 3D-XL, and I'm using it with an optoma HD67.
No receiver, everything is plugged directly : HD 67 -> 3D-XL -> Bluray player.

It works fine, but I'm have some flickering.
I bought a better HDMI cable, I do hope it will help.

BTW, I also bought a Panny BDT 110. I tried the 2D/3D conversion, but it failed...

I also plan on getting one of the new Panny 3d players with 2D-3D conversion. Can you explain a little more on the failure of the Panny in doing the conversion? What indication did the system give you that indicated failure? Do you think the failure was part of a 3dxl issue?
post #813 of 1729 Old 03-09-2011, 10:34 AM

Will the 3dxl work with my hd65?
post #814 of 1729 Old 03-09-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtre2003 View Post

To all here that have a 3D-XL up and running: did you previously have a PC hooked up to watch 3D blu-ray? I got tired of waiting for the 3D-XL so I bought a 3D capable card to put in my PC and ordered some glasses. I don't have it hooked up yet because my glasses won't be here until Friday. My question is: is there any difference in overall quality between the 3D-XL and a PC when viewing 3D blu-ray?

The difference would be whether the PC does a better job down scaling then 3DXL. 3D effect wise, they're about the same. It took me a week trying to get my PC to work in 3D: bought 2 video cards, upgrade from XP to Win7, lots of experimenting...

I didn't spend too much time last night with the 3DXL, but overall it's about the same as the PC.
post #815 of 1729 Old 03-09-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggr4100 View Post

Will the 3dxl work with my hd65?

Optoma has never delivered the promised firmware upgrade, so the answer is no.
post #816 of 1729 Old 03-09-2011, 01:22 PM

Can someone please tell me where the best site is to preorder or buy the 3d-xl right now? I'm located in the U.S.
post #817 of 1729 Old 03-09-2011, 01:56 PM

That would be a crapshoot imo. I do believe most if not all are taken(initial preorders). I would check amazon out about 3 times daily. I did at 4 in the morning and they showed on which I believe Mike got later that morning. Its really annoying yes I know
post #818 of 1729 Old 03-09-2011, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlo View Post

The difference would be whether the PC does a better job down scaling then 3DXL. 3D effect wise, they're about the same. It took me a week trying to get my PC to work in 3D: bought 2 video cards, upgrade from XP to Win7, lots of experimenting...

I didn't spend too much time last night with the 3DXL, but overall it's about the same as the PC.

Thanks David, As long as the 3D effect is on par with the 3D-XL I'll be happy going the PC route and saving a few bucks!
post #819 of 1729 Old 03-09-2011, 02:48 PM

I have one on order with J&R and they said they are expecting some within the next 7 days.

post #820 of 1729 Old 03-09-2011, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtre2003 View Post

Thanks David, As long as the 3D effect is on par with the 3D-XL I'll be happy going the PC route and saving a few bucks!

That is, if you're happy with JUST bluray 3D/video content. No cable box, dss tuner, Xbox Black Ops, or PS3 gaming... I know some people are only into movies, but I rely too much on console gaming and cable content (both of which support 3d!) That was the main reason I'll be setting up the 3D-XL later tonight hopefully.
post #821 of 1729 Old 03-09-2011, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'm now worried about Tru3d. They have raised their price from $319 to 399 without glasses. I have a sneaking suspicion I will get an email offering to delivered it at the higher price or refund my money. I think we all might have been duped with them. I note that they said they called Optoma and Optoma said they would ship to them on Mar 11, and suddenly their price changed. Perhaps Optoma threatened to take away their authorized dealer status unless they raise their price to man. retail price. Hey, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
post #822 of 1729 Old 03-09-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

I'm now worried about Tru3d. They have raised their price from $319 to 399 without glasses. I have a sneaking suspicion I will get an email offering to delivered it at the higher price or refund my money. I think we all might have been duped with them. I note that they said they called Optoma and Optoma said they would ship to them on Mar 11, and suddenly their price changed. Perhaps Optoma threatened to take away their authorized dealer status unless they raise their price to man. retail price. Hey, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...

I e-mailed them and this is what they said
"We were originally told by optoma we could get the kit without glasses so priced and listed it at $320 without glasses, now it looks like we're going to have to get them with the glasses. Once we get final pricing from optoma we will set our final price and work out something inbetween with our pre-orders. We trying to manage this along with the delivery date as best as possible."

I will check back on the 11th to see what the current update is.
post #823 of 1729 Old 03-10-2011, 02:25 AM

Mike, did you ever get yours up and running?
post #824 of 1729 Old 03-10-2011, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeezra View Post

Mike, did you ever get yours up and running?

Yep, the night got a little late quickly, ha, so I didn't get to try out any games, but played the first few chapters of Despicible Me and it looked perfect. No color shift noticable w/ my Acer 5360 thru the Optoma DLP Link glasses.

As a side note, those have much bigger lens area than the IR shutter glasses I had been using on m PC, so more visible area with them on. I wish I had gone for a bit larger than my 85" sceen now! May have to move it a foot or so closer to the seating area this weekend to take up almost all of my field of view. Anyone knoe if th PS3 as a 3D bluray playback device can adjust convergence and depth/ parallax 3d settings? I could go for a bit more pop-out like what I'm used to w/ 3D Vision and pc games...
post #825 of 1729 Old 03-10-2011, 04:36 AM

I have never seen a company's product release allowed to become so FUBAR as this Optoma hardware one has become. They don't seem to care about the consumers nor the resellers. They are treating us all like mushrooms...we're kept in the dark and fed 5#1+!!! How about a press release explaining the problems (months ago would have been nice)? People can understand technical difficulties. What we can't understand is broken promises, confusion over prices (and what's included in the box) and why nobody is clued in on what is going on (even the resellers? really, Optoma??).
post #826 of 1729 Old 03-10-2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:

Perhaps Optoma threatened to take away their authorized dealer status unless they raise their price to man. retail price.

If you look at the Optoma USA site there is a complete list of authorized online retailers and a list of unauthorized sellers. Tru3d dosen't appear on either list, so I doubt that Optoma is pressuring them either way.

This appears at the bottom of the Authorized Retailers page:

"The Internet is a great source for finding the best deal on the best products, which is why Optoma has partnered with the top online retailers in the country. These authorized online retailers have been approved to sell "A" stock product with Optoma's full warranty coverage and customer service support ."

This is at the top of the Unauthorized list:

"Authorized Optoma dealers are specialty projection experts. The following dealers are currently not authorized by Optoma to sell its products.
Optoma products sold by unauthorized dealers may not be under warranty by Optoma."

The last sentence is important.
post #827 of 1729 Old 03-10-2011, 05:14 AM

Just got my 3dxl yesterday, I have to say its better then I imagined. it was worth the wait, had to figure out the sync invert, but when that was fixed it blew me away. Hope everybody gets there 3dxl soon. Great job Optoma.
post #828 of 1729 Old 03-10-2011, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiehunter47 View Post

I e-mailed them and this is what they said
"We were originally told by optoma we could get the kit without glasses so priced and listed it at $320 without glasses, now it looks like we're going to have to get them with the glasses. Once we get final pricing from optoma we will set our final price and work out something inbetween with our pre-orders. We trying to manage this along with the delivery date as best as possible."

I will check back on the 11th to see what the current update is.

I saw this coming way back. What a bunch of you know what. they low ball the product to build preorders, thus thinking they will reach the reduced price wholesale order threshold, but probably didn't make it quite like they hoped. It's an old trick. If any of you have proof they charged your card and then want more, please go to your card company with a fraud complaint. I know they charged me through Google, so I'm going to hold Google responsible.
post #829 of 1729 Old 03-10-2011, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I saw this coming way back. What a bunch of you know what. they low ball the product to build preorders, thus thinking they will reach the reduced price wholesale order threshold, but probably didn't make it quite like they hoped. It's an old trick. If any of you have proof they charged your card and then want more, please go to your card company with a fraud complaint. I know they charged me through Google, so I'm going to hold Google responsible.

I wrote this a couple pages back but it must have gotten skipped over....tru3d was told by OPTOMA at ces that they could buy the 3dxl without glasses and was even given a price and other info..only thing they werent given was skus and such...so they put there markup on it, and put it out to presale....now OPTOMA (not tru3d) changed their mind and is bundling the glasses and changed the price on them, also they were told 3 weeks ago by OPTOMA that they were one of the first in line to get it, now OPTOMA seems to have changed their mind and put them on a later shipment...do you see a pattern here...I wouldnt be so quick to blame tru3d...also you were charged and that charge never dropped off after 3 or 4 days? if that is the case then I would complain about that as my charged dropped off after 3-4 days and the money was put back in my account.
post #830 of 1729 Old 03-10-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggles View Post

I have never seen a company's product release allowed to become so FUBAR as this Optoma hardware one has become. They don't seem to care about the consumers nor the resellers. They are treating us all like mushrooms...we're kept in the dark and fed 5#1+!!! How about a press release explaining the problems (months ago would have been nice)? People can understand technical difficulties. What we can't understand is broken promises, confusion over prices (and what's included in the box) and why nobody is clued in on what is going on (even the resellers? really, Optoma??).

Welcome to the Optoma way of marketing!! I haven't looked lately but the Optoma USA website hasn't even taken ownership of the 3DXL yet - only Optoma (UK) and maybe others advertise 3DXL.
post #831 of 1729 Old 03-10-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Received my 3DXL yesterday and here are my initial observations.

My setup is a PS3 and DirecTV HR-24 plugged directly into the 3DXL (via HDMI). 3DXL HDMI output to Pioneer Elite AVR (non 3D). Pioneer AVR HDMI out to Octova 3X2 HDMI switch. Output of Octova to projector.

First, with this setup, the 3D video passes through everything perfectly. Handshaking takes a few seconds but overall it works fine. I can verify that all of the 3D channels on DirecTV look great. No issues. All 3D from the PS3 look fine as well.

Before this, I was using a Pioneer 3D Blu-Ray player with checkerboard output feeding a Samsung 60" DLP TV. The 3D coming from the 3DXL to the HD66 is every bit as good if not better since the size of the screen is so much larger. There is definitely brightness lost. I tried to compensate by turning up the brightness and contrast on the HD66 but after doing that it tended to wash out the picture and introduce some distortion artifacts. A high gain screen is definitely a must if you want a nice bright picture.

OK, so I must have missed the memo on this. Isn't the 3DXL supposed to pass multichannel audio through HDMI? All I am getting is 2 channel PCM. Nothing else passes (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby TruHD, DTS Master Audio, etc). As I said before, my PS3 and DirecTV DVR are plugged directly into the 3DXL then go to my AVR. Multichannel audio should be there right? Guess I will need to hook up the optical cables for audio. Kind of bummed about having to do that.

I tested out Avatar on Blu-Ray along with a few 3D programs on DirecTV. All looked great with 3D effects that look every bit as good as your local Cinema. Stuff really pops right out of the screen. Very impressed. Can't wait for Tron now!

Basically, the 3DXL does what is should. Your friends and family will be visiting you more often.

Chris Blount
post #832 of 1729 Old 03-10-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart628 View Post

I wrote this a couple pages back but it must have gotten skipped over....tru3d was told by OPTOMA at ces that they could buy the 3dxl without glasses and was even given a price and other info..only thing they werent given was skus and such...so they put there markup on it, and put it out to presale....now OPTOMA (not tru3d) changed their mind and is bundling the glasses and changed the price on them, also they were told 3 weeks ago by OPTOMA that they were one of the first in line to get it, now OPTOMA seems to have changed their mind and put them on a later shipment...do you see a pattern here...I wouldnt be so quick to blame tru3d...also you were charged and that charge never dropped off after 3 or 4 days? if that is the case then I would complain about that as my charged dropped off after 3-4 days and the money was put back in my account.

Who says this is how it went down? I have nothing against Tru3D, nor any other dealer. However, if they are not listed as an authorized dealer on the Optoma website (which I read above is the case), why do people feel this is on Optoma and not Tru3D? I doubt Optoma even knows who they are- they are probably buying it through distribution (Ingram, AVAD, etc..) and have no direct pipeline to Optoma anyway. Otherwise I'd think they'd be listed on their website like the other direct dealers?
post #833 of 1729 Old 03-10-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart628 View Post

tru3d was told by OPTOMA at ces that they could buy the 3dxl without glasses and was even given a price and other info..only thing they werent given was skus and such...so they put there markup on it, and put it out to presale....now OPTOMA (not tru3d) changed their mind and is bundling the glasses and changed the price on them, also they were told 3 weeks ago by OPTOMA that they were one of the first in line to get it, now OPTOMA seems to have changed their mind and put them on a later shipment...do you see a pattern here...

Says who? Unless you were there, or a party to the conversation, you are relying on what Tru3d has either said or implied.

According to Optoma's website Tru3d is not an Optoma authorized online retailer.

I doubt that Tru3d is an Optoma distributor.

If those two things are true, then it seems unlikley that Tru3d is receiving product directly from Optoma.

Hey, maybe I'm completly wrong about this. What I do know is; People that ordered from Optoma's list of authorized online retailers are receiving their 3D-Xls right now. I'm included in that group.

EDIT>MIKEMAV you posted while I was typing. I guess I'm not alone in this thought.
post #834 of 1729 Old 03-10-2011, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFAN007 View Post

Welcome to the Optoma way of marketing!! I haven't looked lately but the Optoma USA website hasn't even taken ownership of the 3DXL yet - only Optoma (UK) and maybe others advertise 3DXL.

We also have to keep in mind the prices of the products. I work for a pro-AV dealer, and we supply for corporate and government systems the higher-end projectors that run from $3k to $100k+ in price (though those are rare!) Usually with a larger, more expensive and technically diverse product line (such as Christie Digital, DPI, etc..), there are dedicated rep firms or sales reps calling on the dealers, answering questions, doing demos, and providing spec and design assistance. Do you think a company that makes products that mostly range under $2500 can afford to market and represent their product in the same way as those selling for 10 times the price? Doesn't happen that way in my experience, there is no budget for that in those prices. I'm frankly amazed they chose to develop a solution to this to help those who already have their inexpensive projectors, instead of the Viewsonic approach (a new model is coming out, please replace yours if you want HDMI 1.4 3D...)
post #835 of 1729 Old 03-10-2011, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

I will just say this, I have been a part of this launch since it was suppose to happen in December, I was a part of optoma saying one thing and doing another....and tru3d had a order through optoma themselves not avad or anyone else...and I am not just going off the word off reed Johnson but other people connected directly to optoma. Listen I am not a tru3d honk in fact I cancelled my presale with them and I am sad that you guys pre ordered with them and haven't got one...I just know not all the blame should be on them, it should be on optoma as well this launch from the start hasn't been close to smooth.

edit: by the way I dont know how quickly their website is updated with info, as the 3dxl is NO where to be found on there, so tru3d could be a new partner, again I am not trying to stick up for them, I really am not, I am more on your guys side...I am just trying to point out this hasnt been the smoothest launch and there is no reason to tear down someones business when I can promise you I know it didnt go down like you guys are thinking.
post #836 of 1729 Old 03-10-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post

OK, so I must have missed the memo on this. Isn't the 3DXL supposed to pass multichannel audio through HDMI? All I am getting is 2 channel PCM. Nothing else passes (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby TruHD, DTS Master Audio, etc). As I said before, my PS3 and DirecTV DVR are plugged directly into the 3DXL then go to my AVR. Multichannel audio should be there right? Guess I will need to hook up the optical cables for audio. Kind of bummed about having to do that.

The box does say it should pass through multichannel, however the ps3 cant do hd audio and 3d video at the same time, so you will loose nothing by using optical appart from using an extra cable.

I have my 3dxl after the amp and i have my sky hd connected to my amp using optical for audio and the output from my amp is connected to input 1 on the 3dxl. I then have my ps3 and oppo 93 connected to a spiltter then onto input 2 on the 3dxl and i use an optical for audio for the ps3 and my second hdmi on the 93 for bluray audio and the take the hdmi out of the 3dxl onto my projector.

As a side note how do you find 2d content from your direct tv passing through the 3dxl? Wilth my satelite box if my box is set to 1080i I get a poor picture, but if I set it to 720p its fine.
post #837 of 1729 Old 03-10-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOPY View Post

The box does say it should pass through multichannel, however the ps3 cant do hd audio and 3d video at the same time, so you will loose nothing by using optical appart from using an extra cable.

I have my 3dxl after the amp and i have my sky hd connected to my amp using optical for audio and the output from my amp is connected to input 1 on the 3dxl. I then have my ps3 and oppo 93 connected to a spiltter then onto input 2 on the 3dxl and i use an optical for audio for the ps3 and my second hdmi on the 93 for bluray audio and the take the hdmi out of the 3dxl onto my projector.

As a side note how do you find 2d content from your direct tv passing through the 3dxl? Wilth my satelite box if my box is set to 1080i I get a poor picture, but if I set it to 720p its fine.

Wow, is this a well known limitation of the PS3 in 3D mode? Hadn't heard that before. Got a link or any more info? That stinks; may be reason enough to use a stand-alone 3D bluray deck (whenever I get around to an upgrade to a modern HDMI 1.4 receiver.)
post #838 of 1729 Old 03-10-2011, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
They should just pull the glasses and bundle them with other 3DXL purchases and honor the price. I really don't mind cancelling at this point.

I will not pay more than what I pre-ordered at on principle.
post #839 of 1729 Old 03-10-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemav View Post

Wow, is this a well known limitation of the PS3 in 3D mode? Hadn't heard that before. Got a link or any more info? That stinks; may be reason enough to use a stand-alone 3D bluray deck (whenever I get around to an upgrade to a modern HDMI 1.4 receiver.)

yes its well known, see here http://www.psuni.com/sony-sacrifices...playback-4571/

I have a hdmi 1.3 receiver which i love so dont want to change, so i bought the oppo bdp93 which is 3d and has 2 hdmi out so i can send one onto the 3dxl for video and the other to my amp for hd audio and it works great.
post #840 of 1729 Old 03-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

They should just pull the glasses and bundle them with other 3DXL purchases and honor the price. I really don't mind cancelling at this point.

I will not pay more than what I pre-ordered at on principle.

I agree on both counts..plus who knows what games are being played now, you might have better luck at b&H or JR, sad really I hope they can get enough in the pipeline to satisfy everyone! by the way anyone want to offer me a trade for my zd201 glasses
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Optoma , Optoma 3d Xl Converter Box For 3d Video And Gaming , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page