post #1081 of 1729 Old 04-14-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

The vip won't make your HD20 3d. You could get another 3DXL and another HD20 and go passive. The vip is just a replacement for the 3dxl that people can't find.

Someone mentioned over in the VIP thread that it will work with the HD20 of course that's unverified.

I think with a few firmware updates, the 3DXL will definitely improve. Getting stock from Optoma is a whole other matter.

Chris Blount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1729 Old 04-14-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

The vip won't make your HD20 3d. You could get another 3DXL and another HD20 and go passive. The vip is just a replacement for the 3dxl that people can't find.

Not true. The VIP unit works with 3D & no-3D displays. But on displays that are not 3D-ready, it will run at 60Hz.

So it will work, but with some flicker.
post #1083 of 1729 Old 04-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

It will make his HD20 3d at 60 hz if he gets the ir glasses and emitter that are 60/120 hz as well as the displayer or theater.
post #1084 of 1729 Old 04-14-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post

I think with a few firmware updates, the 3DXL will definitely improve. Getting stock from Optoma is a whole other matter.

Has Optoma said anything to date about availability of firmware updates? I am concerned about getting any kind of support from them based on the US corporate offiice's almost complete disregard for the 3DXL.
post #1085 of 1729 Old 04-14-2011, 09:27 PM

OptomaUSA facebook, on Monday (11) someone ask if there was going to be a firmware update for 3D-XL to support Comcast top and bottom 3D. OptomaUSA on Thursday (14) replay was " Please call our customer service line by next Friday (22) to get the upgraded firmware and instructional sheet."
post #1086 of 1729 Old 04-15-2011, 04:51 AM

Liked: 11
I have dual 3D-XLs on dual 1080p projectors and also want a firmware upgrade to pass-through 720p games without upscaling them in the 3D-XLs (added lag, added blur) to let my projectors do the upscaling to 1080 (more sophisticated scaler). But since they printed the words 1080 on the back of the unit I don't know if they would ever add this optimisation.

Anyone else gaming on PS3 with a dual passive 3DXL setup?
post #1087 of 1729 Old 04-15-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

Not true. The VIP unit works with 3D & no-3D displays. But on displays that are not 3D-ready, it will run at 60Hz.

So it will work, but with some flicker.

OK so I missed something. Isn't the HD66 120Hz thus making each eye see 60Hz or on the HD20 you are only seeing 30Hz per eye?

Chris Blount
post #1088 of 1729 Old 04-15-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK so I missed something. Isn't the HD66 120Hz thus making each eye see 60Hz or on the HD20 you are only seeing 30Hz per eye?

I have the HD70, which has similar specs to the HD20 (except resolution). Both have a max vertical sync of 85hz.

The VIP currently provides sync for 120hz or 60hz displays. That means if your display is 3d-ready (120hz), you will get 60/eye. The HD20, like the HD70, is not 3d-ready, so it will sync at 60hz, or 30/eye.

Wnielsenbb stated that the VIP unit was just a replacement for the 3dXL and would not make the HD20 3d-capable. It should in fact enable the HD20 for 3d, albeit at 30/eye.

Additionally, the VIP unit boasts a much greater display compatibility (known to work with the HD66 and other 120hz displays, as well as a slew of 2d displays comprising dlp, lcd, crt, etc.) than the 3dxl (just 14 dlp models listed on Optoma's site), making it more than just a replacement.
post #1089 of 1729 Old 04-15-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

The VIP currently provides sync for 120hz or 60hz displays. That means if your display is 3d-ready (120hz), you will get 60/eye. The HD20, like the HD70, is not 3d-ready, so it will sync at 60hz, or 30/eye.

Wnielsenbb stated that the VIP unit was just a replacement for the 3dXL and would not make the HD20 3d-capable. It should in fact enable the HD20 for 3d, albeit at 30/eye.

That's what I thought. Thank for the info. I guess I'm keeping my HD66 and the 3DXL. No reason to move to the VIP.

Chris Blount
post #1090 of 1729 Old 04-15-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

I called Optoma today to find out about a firmware update. They sent me an e-mail with the file and the PowerPoint slides for the instructions. It's pretty easy but doesn't tell you much. It would have been nice to get release notes or something that tells you how to check what firmware is currently in the 3DXL.
LL
LL

Chris Blount
post #1091 of 1729 Old 04-15-2011, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

That's what I thought. Thank for the info. I guess I'm keeping my HD66 and the 3DXL. No reason to move to the VIP.

In order to sync the glasses and display at 120Hz the display has to be able to accept 120fps content over HDMI. With the exception of some small PC monitors and some 720p 3D capable DLP projectors today's displays accept a maximum refresh rate of 60fps.
post #1092 of 1729 Old 04-16-2011, 03:27 AM

To me, a great boon for all of us who have countless standard 3Ds is the feature many of the flatscreen Tvs and new 1080p projectors have---producing a simulated 3D effect. This adds new life to the old discs and will induce wanting to see them again. I was particularly impressed with the new Sony 90ES which has three choices for this feature that increases in depth with each level. The projector also has three brightness levels when in 3D mode, an almost necessary feature since you lose about 40 percent of the brightness with the active shutter glasses.

BTW, would someone familiar with all of them make a chart comparing the new 3D adapters side by side? That would make the advantages/disadvantages of them stand out perfectly.
post #1093 of 1729 Old 04-16-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I called Optoma today to find out about a firmware update. They sent me an e-mail with the file and the PowerPoint slides for the instructions. It's pretty easy but doesn't tell you much. It would have been nice to get release notes or something that tells you how to check what firmware is currently in the 3DXL.
Chris - Since there are no release notes please report back to us on any differences that you notice with the new firmware. Thanks.
post #1094 of 1729 Old 04-16-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

For those asking me about the firmware file, see attached. You will need to change the extension from "txt" to "rar".

C05T.txt 156.58984375k . file

Chris Blount
post #1095 of 1729 Old 04-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
FYI B&H shows 3DXLs in stock.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1096 of 1729 Old 04-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Looks like B&H is for real - I got a shipping notice for tomorrow. Btw, they have a noon deadline today or you will wait a week for Passover holiday. Oy vay!

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1097 of 1729 Old 04-17-2011, 08:21 AM

ok...long time lurker...

My current set up:

Panny 1000ae 1080p PJ
126" Carada brillant white 1.3
Onkyo 1.4 3d receiver
ps3
dishnetwork 922

Sooooo

I just put in an order for the 3dxl via b/h and have a CONFIRMED ship from ups for tuesday!!!

Here are some questions....

1. I gather that MOST suggest that the optoma 66 is the best/brightest 720p dlp....AGREE??? (I need to buy one SOON)

2. Is there agreement as the to best < $100 pair of glasses??
I have my eye set on the Optoma BG-ZD101 DLP Link 3D Glasses
for $80 via amazon....(I "need", want about 12 pairs...I .live in a subdivision that does movie night every friday or saturday so....)

3. Will my current "normal" hdmi cables pass 3d?
4. My current panny is on a shelf on the back of my room...about 22 ft back from the screen....will the hd66 throw to a 126" screen from the same distance.....

My mind is reeling............I can believe we will have HD on our home theater....we just took both kids with neighbors to see RIO and they loved it.
We have 3d blu rays of tron and tangled waiting to be seen here at home. We also have VUDU....

Does dishnetwork have any 3D?

Anyways...I will be obsessing all day on the interwebs....

Peace out!
post #1098 of 1729 Old 04-17-2011, 10:54 AM

i have a similar setup to you and also had to adapt to the 3d-xl situation so i can answer some of these:

1. i have the hd66/3d-xl combination and i haven't researched all the dlp options, but i would recommend the highest level of contrast and brightness possible, and i think the hd66 tops it out or is among the best. i've seen the optoma gt "gametime" series and they leave a lot to be left desired in 3d mode, and the 3d menu system on those models are clunky. i'm very happy with the hd66 though...in 3d mode, in regular mode the rainbow effect is very present on mine, but it's virtually non-existant in 3d. so i'm running a dual projector setup, an old 1080p epson sitting on a shelf 21 ft back for anything 2d, and the hd66 for anything 3d

2. i have 3 zd101s and 4 ultra clear dlp glasses. i have to say the zd101s are definitely the better pair, the color is more accurate, contrast is better and more light gets through, BUT they are significantly heavier and take 2 batteries each and estimated to not last as long. they have ZERO ghosting on this setup and rarely fall out of sync. it almost completely blocks out the dlp-link flash, but the "shuttering" is more sensitive to the eyes so it may cause the eyes to strain more...this is hard to explain but you'll be able to know the difference after some experience, i think it is due to the eyes trying to accomodate from completely black to completely clear repetitively so fast so while it looks better it might be a catch 22. also for a 2 hour movie the zd101s might be good, but any more than that (like a 4hr or more gaming session it will really wear on your nose, perhaps making it stretched or longer). probably a temporary effect but still something to consider. the ultraclears aren't as good in that the contrast is less probably because the shutters aren't closed for probably as long, but the eye strain effect i'm talking about is a lot less and very comfortable. the color is also a bit tinted but maybe this can be accounted for in the color settings in the projector. they are very comfortable to wear cuz they are light and are not bothersome after any time. HOWEVER there is a very slight buzz that can be heard when you wear them...but that's only when things are totally silent and you're trying to hear it...but it's definitely there. i'm glad to have both to choose from (and vary which one i'm gonna wear), but if the visuals aren't super important and i'm not concentrating on them (like if i'm just playing a game/chatting with friends online instead of watching a high integrity movie), then i'd go with the ultra clears. if i'm watching a 2 hr or less movie i'd go with the optomas. also the optomas have bigger lenses so they are better for the seats closer to the screen.

3. i'm not sure if your cables will pass 3d, but they most likely will. only ONE cable that i have refused to do it (which i wasn't even using), and my pre-existing 1080p cables worked perfectly (and they were cheapo ones i got from amazon). however the 2 dollar six foot ones on amazon will probably not work, but people in the reviews of those state problems with 1080p sometimes. if you setup runs in 1080p without any glitches then they probably will work i think. HOWEVER, i have a 50 ft hdmi cable i got from amazon that runs to my 1080p 2d projector in the back, and this did NOT work directly connected to the hd66, if you check the review on projectorcentral.com they said that the hd66 was unreliable with cables at that length but 25 ft ones worked. however for me and probably you this is not a problem because they way i have it, i have the 50ft cable going to my 1080p, but i also have the 3d xl on a shelf right under it, so when i want to watch 3d i just take the cable out of the projector and hook it up to the 3d-xl, which then works as a repeater/amplifier and then i have a 20 ft cable going to the hd66 mounted on the ceiling. i'm sure you could get an hdmi switch so you wouldn't have to take the cables out and just instead press a button, but this works for me as i also have a 3d blu ray player back there hooked up to the other input on the 3d-xl since my receiver is 1.3 and can't handle a 1.4 1080p signal. i have an optical going from the back to the front receiver...no lossless audio or 7.1 but it works without having to upgrade the receiver. you should be fine though with your 1.4 reciever, i also have a ps3 up in front by the reciever and 3d games work great through it even thought it is 1.3 because the box can pass through 720p 3d, but blacks out on 1080p 3d. so i only switch the cable when i want to play 3d games.

4. the hd66 with absolutely NOT fit the screen from that distance back. check projectorcentral.com distance calculator (or the one on optomausa.com which uses the same flash thing) to get the correct distance you need). i had to ceiling mount the projector about 16 ft back from my 135" elite screen fixed frame and run the cables through the walls...luckily enough i was about to do this without much trouble. the zoom on the hd66 is very limited and i think that's the case for most projectors in this pricerange, if they have zoom at all. i'm thinking you'll have to mount it maybe 15' or so back from the screen but i'm not sure. also the hd66 is an "on the floor or on the ceiling" projector, and can't be pointed straight directly at the middle of the screen because it shoots the image way above it. i have it about 6 inches from the ceiling and it's still pointing up a bit even though the top of the screen is more than a foot below the ceiling. i got the metal hd66 mount on amazon, not sure which one, but it wasn't the cheapest, and it's really good and sturdy. it's about 30 dollars i think from a company called "projector mounts direct" or something.

5. i also have dish network but i have a regular box that doesn't do 3d, and they don't have any 3d channels unfortunately. i think the new expensive box has 3d on demand but i have no experience with that. however on the ps3, the 3d movies from the playstation video store and also stream from vudu work great

anyway once you get it all hooked up i'm sure you'll be happy with it, and btw tangled is going to absolutely bring down the house, it looks incredible!!
post #1099 of 1729 Old 04-17-2011, 11:14 AM

REALLY appreciate your time and thoughts. I must say that I am very bummed about the placement requirements for the hd66. I have managed to avoid ceiling mounting my panny 1000 for the last 4 years and it seems a shame to have to deal with it now. I will need to run electric to it and fishing the HDMI through the tresses will be NOT fun. I will spend the day search for another 720p hd ready pj that has a more flexable placement. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your glasses input. Anyone else have tips on glasses. I will apparently get one pair of the optoma's and I'm looking to pick up about a dozen more.
post #1100 of 1729 Old 04-17-2011, 12:22 PM

i'm not sure of any better hd-ready projectors, maybe others would know, but i mainly opted for the "all optoma" option because i think it would be the most tested by the company, and it definitely paid off in some sense in that there is absolutely no ghosting and accurate color with 3d-xl/hd66/zd101. the 3rd party ultra-clear glasses are not as perfectly synced; hence the slightly innaccurate color and ALSO extremely slight (but incorrectable) ghosting. you would not notice this in watching movies, and the only time i've seen it really is in gran turismo 5 on the ultra clears but it is definitely there. the zd101s have never shown it, and also the zd101s are better and almost required for people who already are wearing prescription glasses as the ultra-clears won't fit properly over them. also when looking up other options i cannot stress enough that max brightness and contrast is the most important thing. even with the acer projector coming out with the 3d processing built-in, the light output and and contrast still do not match the hd66. the optoma gametime projector was 2500:1 contrast (compared to the hd66 4000:1) and it was completely unnacceptable to me in 3d. and btw the acer projector has the same throw distance and zoom as the hd66 so the distance would be the same, however it is not a ceiling mount projector, but a direct-on middle projector so i think that would probably be an impossible option for you anyway. but yeah, luckily in my theater room i have a drop ceiling so running the wires wasn't too bad
post #1101 of 1729 Old 04-17-2011, 05:12 PM

well,

I just put an order in the the optoma hd66. I also ordered 10 more pairs of the optoma glasses.

Anyone with experience with ps3 games in 3d? Specifically CODBO?

Also, for anyone with there PJ's ceiling mounted, do you all have electric hardwired to a ceiling outlet? Or any any of you using a heavy duty 3prong extention to run the plug over the ceiling an back to an outlet?
post #1102 of 1729 Old 04-18-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnintim View Post

well,

I just put an order in the the optoma hd66. I also ordered 10 more pairs of the optoma glasses.

Anyone with experience with ps3 games in 3d? Specifically CODBO?

Also, for anyone with there PJ's ceiling mounted, do you all have electric hardwired to a ceiling outlet? Or any any of you using a heavy duty 3prong extention to run the plug over the ceiling an back to an outlet?

I have the HD66 too

I've played CODBO on the X360 in 3D and was not impressed ... some depth but nothing spectacular

I have my HD66 ceiling mounted and i'm just using a regular outdoor 3 prong extension cord
post #1103 of 1729 Old 04-18-2011, 08:39 AM

It looks like some are claiming 3DXLs in stock...Nextdaypc, Adorama, and others...Amazon very soon too (for those who want an easy return process).
post #1104 of 1729 Old 04-18-2011, 03:56 PM

I notice that the Ultra-Clear DLP link glasses are now $49.
post #1105 of 1729 Old 04-18-2011, 05:00 PM

link?

anyone used these with 3d xl?
post #1106 of 1729 Old 04-18-2011, 05:14 PM

The one I ordered from J&R on March 21st is on the truck today.
post #1107 of 1729 Old 04-18-2011, 05:29 PM

The one I ordered yesterday from BnH will be at my house tomorrow before 12pm
post #1108 of 1729 Old 04-19-2011, 05:46 AM

The one I order from JR's a month ago has finally shipped and will be at my house tomorrow! Can't wait!
post #1109 of 1729 Old 04-19-2011, 06:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

For those with a 3DXL and H66 (or possibly any other projector). Do any of you have issues with the glasses losing sync during very bright scenes? It seems that when certain content is displayed containing bright flashes or bright sky, the glasses lose sync until something changes on the screen.

Thanks.

Chris Blount
post #1110 of 1729 Old 04-19-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnintim View Post

link?

anyone used these with 3d xl?

Yes, the Ultra-clears are $49. Just ordered one and will try them with my 3DXL (I don't see why they wouldn't work):

http://www.ultimate3dheaven.com/uldlpliwi3dg.html

Chris Blount
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Optoma , Optoma 3d Xl Converter Box For 3d Video And Gaming , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page