The "Official" Optoma 3DXL Owner's thread - Page 42 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1231 of 1729 Old 05-05-2011, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i don't have trouble with either @ 19 feet for a 135" screen (the back-est row)....22 is pretty far away...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1729 Old 05-05-2011, 03:39 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dophile View Post
Just in case you wanted an alternative to the 3DXL, the Viewsonic VP3D1s are starting to ship. Mine is shipping today from ShopBLT for $274 shipped.

UPDATE: in the US (since we already know they have been shipping in the UK)
Please give us a review on the VP3D1 whenever possible. Is there a separate thread for this device yet?
post #1233 of 1729 Old 05-05-2011, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaluagua View Post

i don't have trouble with either @ 19 feet for a 135" screen (the back-est row)....22 is pretty far away...

The first 15 feet of the room is for Wii sports, then 2 rows of seating. Room depth is actually 34 feet but never checked out the shutter glasses while getting some popcorn at the wet bar.

Will have to move seating up closer for major movie nights. Kind of waiting on the PS3 network to be active again.

I have to say the 3D-XL box paired with the HD-66 is an incredible value. The $600 spent on all the shutter glasses is a large chunk of the system cost. (9 pairs so far)
post #1234 of 1729 Old 05-06-2011, 06:05 AM

So where is the best place to get these now. I ordered one from compusa and a week went by and nothing. then shopblt and another freakin week went by and nothing. How many freakin units did optoma make of these just 2 or 3.
post #1235 of 1729 Old 05-06-2011, 05:12 PM

I ordered one from tru3d, last friday morning. Delivered on monday, they're still showing them in stock.

Fritz! Fritz, get up for God's sake! Get up! They've killed Fritz! They've killed Fritz! Those lousy stinking yellow fairies! Those horrible atrocity-filled vermin! Those despicable animal warmongers!
post #1236 of 1729 Old 05-06-2011, 05:27 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughes032
So where is the best place to get these now. I ordered one from compusa and a week went by and nothing. then shopblt and another freakin week went by and nothing. How many freakin units did optoma make of these just 2 or 3.
I canceled my order with compusa because of that. I then went through tru3d and got it this week. Pretty fast shipping. That's what I recommend for now.
post #1237 of 1729 Old 05-06-2011, 06:06 PM

I ordered my 3d-xl without glasses through tru3d on Sat usps delivered it on thursday. My 3 pairs of optoma glasses came Today from amazon. Their big but work perfectly. I upgraded my projection home theater and purchased a HD66, onkyo 808, and a panasonic 3d blu-ray player about 4 MONTHS ago because of the optoma 3d-xl. All I can say is it was worth the wait. Finally get to watch the Avatar 3d disc that has been collecting dust..
post #1238 of 1729 Old 05-06-2011, 06:22 PM

Where do you download the firmware file?
post #1239 of 1729 Old 05-06-2011, 07:49 PM

I just received my 3d-XL in the mail today, and found out that unfortunately my NVidia 3d glasses will not sync up even using the IR emitter that came with them plugged either into the HD66 or 3d-XL. Is there any aftermarket emitter that would work, or would I have to buy DLP link glasses and keep the NVidias as computer only?
post #1240 of 1729 Old 05-07-2011, 12:29 PM

Hello, this is my first post, im a newbie to projectors, to 3d and avs in genral. I have been reading up on this forum and i gota say- this forum is awasome. I am very eager to set up a Dual 3d projector system. I want to be able to use passive 3d glasses.

2 x 3d-xl
2 x 720p/1080p 3d ready and 3d-xl compatible projectors
Passive 3d Glasses
Pair of Polarizing filters
Polarized "silver"screen
HDMI Splitter Box

I have a few questions.

1) With the dual setup, will i get 3d in 1080p and will be able to use passive glasses.

2) What type of polarization and glasses can i use, i have read circular polarizing filters are better.

3) A computer with appropriate nvidia/ati card and running drivers like the iZ3D and Tridef, will it work with 3d-xl in single or dual set up. If i converted 2d movies to 3d, would they work in such a system and will 3d gaming also work.

4) please advise on the type of silver screen i need and also is there are any DIY options available.

5) Will current or older xbox 360 support 3d gaming

I know im asking alot, beleive me i have read on the forum- its a long thread and im still going through it all. Thankyou very much.
post #1241 of 1729 Old 05-08-2011, 02:01 AM

If you are not in a hurry, wait for that (pterodactyl):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...57435&page=999

It is specially targetted to dual setups and will be compatible with polars as well as Dolby3D filters.

I definitely recommend Dolby3D which is the best 3D technology ever. Also, Dolby3D filters/glasses should come about the same price as a good (but still terrible) silverscreen.
post #1242 of 1729 Old 05-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-bauer View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...57435&page=999

It is specially targetted to dual setups and will be compatible with polars as well as Dolby3D filters.

I definitely recommend Dolby3D which is the best 3D technology ever. Also, Dolby3D filters/glasses should come about the same price as a good (but still terrible) silverscreen.

Why are you dissing silver screens? Have you seen them all? I have 3 silver Torus I would never part with.
post #1243 of 1729 Old 05-08-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoss View Post

Why are you dissing silver screens? Have you seen them all? I have 3 silver Torus I would never part with.

I got mine projected on a white wall that came free with my house. How much money have you wasted on sliver screens? Weve already learned that you dont need silver screens for home 3d.
post #1244 of 1729 Old 05-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughes032 View Post

I got mine projected on a white wall that came free with my house. How much money have you wasted on sliver screens? Weve already learned that you dont need silver screens for home 3d.

This is only true if you use active shutter glasses which can add up to be quite an expense. With the losses associated with doing 3D projection it can be an advantage compensating for these losses because of the light gain associated with the silver torus technology. White screens don't maintain polarization needed if passive glasses are used either with a dual projector setup or a single projector and a field polarizer. Yes if you go out and buy new it can get expensive. I was fortunate that some people wanted to dispose of these screens because they were used with old crt projectors and got them at basement bargain prices. I have 1500 hours on my HD7100 bulb but you would never know it due to the screen gain.
post #1245 of 1729 Old 05-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFAN007 View Post

Please give us a review on the VP3D1 whenever possible. Is there a separate thread for this device yet?

I will absolutely post a quick review of the unit after my Tuesday night first viewing of Tangled in 3D. Unfortunately I am moving on Saturday so I won't be able to do an in-depth review until after the move. Also I can't compare to the 3DXL unit since I've never used one or have access to one.

After the move I hope to borrow a PS3 for some 3D gaming experience. Just as a note I have an all Viewsonic setup: PJD6531w projector, PGD-250 glasses, and the VP3D1 (hopefully on Tuesday).

There are threads for the VP3D1 but they have no real content as no one's posted a review yet.

UPDATE: Fedex delay (argh...) means the viewing will be tonight!
post #1246 of 1729 Old 05-08-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Hi thanks for the reply and link. I browsed the thread and it does sound interesting, but it seems that a (pterodactyl) dual setup as mentioned, would be well out of my range. Although while looking around i came across vip 3d products etc.

Please everyone with some knowledge and maybe even hands on experience with a dual projector/dual 3d-xl or any conversion box setup, can you please let us know, do we need the filters that go in front of the projector lense in order to use such a setup with passive 3d glasses.

Please bear with me, this may sound dumb- but im still learning- As i understand the box like 3d-xl can slipt the source into left and right. And the filters are needed to make sure the glasses only get corresponding left or right image from the screen and screen has to be a special polarized silver screen. In order to work with passive screen

If you can, please post pics or links the type of filters adn screen needed.

thanks again
post #1247 of 1729 Old 05-09-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoss View Post

Wow, I didnt want to hurt anybody....

My experience in silverscreen is with a Harkness 240 which comes right after Steward's in professional quality.
I spent over 500 euros in this 2 meter wide screen. Believe me, that was a very bad experience. Hot spot and screen grain that ruins full HD picture quality.

I totally agree with BlackShark about screen grain:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...74&mode=linear
Unless you are seated over 6-10 meters away from the screen, it is a deal breaker for me as I am seated 3 meters away.

The hot spotting I was getting speaks for itself:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopi...11320&start=23

The ghosting was in the expected range of 100-120:1, while I am getting over 200:1 with my dolby3D filters. Not as high as I wanted because of my very short throw projectors that render a slight color shift, hence ghosting, in the corners. It has to be mentionned that Infitec/Dolby claim a 1000:1 ratio, in theory.

Of course I have not tried *all* available silverscreens on the market. You may be luckier than me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolai.drazen View Post

...a (pterodactyl) dual setup as mentioned, would be well out of my range.

I think you have misunderstood the point.
Pterodactyl is developping a HDMI splitter box aimed at driving a dual projector setup. He is also developping a full dual projector system of his own. The only thing we are interested in is the box, that would probably come in the 500$ range.

Assuming that you are considering a dual-projector setup:
As long as you have two projectors, you have a choice between going polars or Dolby/Infitec, both being passive:
- Polar option: 2 projectors + a 300-500$ silverscreen + filters ($$$?) + glasses
- Dolby option: 2 projectors + a 300$ dolby filter set + glasses + normal white screen

In both cases, you need a splitter box (or a splitter and 2x3D-XL for example)
The beauty of pterodactyl'box is that it can do the color correction (*) required by the Dolby approach.

(*) Color correction could be done to some extent with the projector's settings, as in:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20297691

Jack
post #1248 of 1729 Old 05-09-2011, 10:44 AM

Well I got mine today and it looks pretty good on a 140 inch screen. I had to set my blu ray play to 1080i tho. The 3d option on my hd66 wouldnt even work till I switched it to that.
post #1249 of 1729 Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
2 x 3d-xl
-> You do NOT need 3D ready projectors, and there is no such thing as 3d-xl compatible projectors. Any 1080p projector will do but dlp projectors, or panasonic ae lcd projectors will work with linear filters easier.
Passive 3d Glasses
Polarized "silver"screen
HDMI Splitter Box

I have a few questions.
1) With the dual setup, will i get 3d in 1080p and will be able to use passive glasses.
->yes, that is what the 3d-xl boxes do, send one eye to each projector.

2) What type of polarization and glasses can i use, i have read circular polarizing filters are better.
->Circular is better in theory, but in pratice linear is easier and better. Dolby 3D uses a fancier red/blue type system that should work with any projector just the same.

3) A computer with appropriate nvidia/ati card and running drivers like the iZ3D and Tridef, will it work with 3d-xl in single or dual set up. If i converted 2d movies to 3d, would they work in such a system and will 3d gaming also work.
->you want to use a PS3 or 3d bluray player. That is the point of the 3D-XL, to accept a hdmi 1.4 frame packed signal. If you want to pc game you bypass the 3D-XL's and run 1080p60 directly to each projector.

4) please advise on the type of silver screen i need and also is there are any DIY options available.
-> if you go polarized the Harkness 240 is like 360 for the material to use in your own frame. If you go dolby you don't get this expense.

-> Xbox and PS3 will both support the hdmi 1.4 transmission through the 3D-XL's.
post #1250 of 1729 Old 05-09-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

ccmglobal, I tried my nVidia emitter hooked into the 3D-XL without success. The thing needs a signal from the driver to turn on properly. I guess you can fire up your pc and get it started, then it will work. Haven't tried that though. I might hack into it and see if I can get it to work.
Otherwise I will go with a samsung emitter and compatible glasses. You can buy 3 of those glasses for one pair of nVidia glasses.

I have DLP link glasses and they work awesome with the 3D-XL, but given the low price I am think the samsung emitter is worth it.
post #1251 of 1729 Old 05-10-2011, 03:54 AM

Quote:

I think you have misunderstood the point.
Pterodactyl is developping a HDMI splitter box aimed at driving a dual projector setup. He is also developping a full dual projector system of his own. The only thing we are interested in is the box, that would probably come in the 500$ range.

Assuming that you are considering a dual-projector setup:
As long as you have two projectors, you have a choice between going polars or Dolby/Infitec, both being passive:
- Polar option: 2 projectors + a 300-500$ silverscreen + filters ($$$?) + glasses
- Dolby option: 2 projectors + a 300$ dolby filter set + glasses + normal white screen

In both cases, you need a splitter box (or a splitter and 2x3D-XL for example)
The beauty of pterodactyl'box is that it can do the color correction (*) required by the Dolby approach.

(*) Color correction could be done to some extent with the projector's settings, as in:

Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

2 x 3d-xl
-> You do NOT need 3D ready projectors, and there is no such thing as 3d-xl compatible projectors. Any 1080p projector will do but dlp projectors, or panasonic ae lcd projectors will work with linear filters easier.
Passive 3d Glasses
Polarized "silver"screen
HDMI Splitter Box

I have a few questions.
->yes, that is what the 3d-xl boxes do, send one eye to each projector.

->Circular is better in theory, but in pratice linear is easier and better. Dolby 3D uses a fancier red/blue type system that should work with any projector just the same.

->you want to use a PS3 or 3d bluray player. That is the point of the 3D-XL, to accept a hdmi 1.4 frame packed signal. If you want to pc game you bypass the 3D-XL's and run 1080p60 directly to each projector.

-> if you go polarized the Harkness 240 is like 360 for the material to use in your own frame. If you go dolby you don't get this expense.

-> Xbox and PS3 will both support the hdmi 1.4 transmission through the 3D-XL's.

Hi guys, thanks for the reply and the answers to my questions. I now understand a little better. i am in africa and none of these products are available here. I have to pretty much do everything online and then ship it here. So i really want to be able to get all the necessary bits in place before i whip out the credit card.

Now from reading more on the forum, it seems for dual projector set up- the Dolby/Infitec system is probably the best option. It does not have the disadvantage of circular and linear polorization and don't need expensive "silver screen".

Now with that said, i do need to get Dolby/infitec filters- i have googled a bit and i can't find any site that sells filters, i have found sites that sell glasses. I also noticed that some of the glasses are curved and others are flat. With some dolby3d glasses the blue and red lense color is more obvious than in others-i want to refrain from saying its darker or more intense than others.

Are there any updates on the Pterodactyl box, when might it be ready for sale?. But if i can do color correction on a computer or on the projector with a dolby digital/infitec system, then i would certainly entertain that option- and perhaps when the box is ready - get one in order to have a more permanent and automatic means of color correction.

Projectors

optoma HD-66 ($600-$700) is still front runner for me- but am considering optoma gt720($600-$800)- with in the same price range, are there any other projectors one would recommend instead of the two i have mentioned.

the options so far seem to be

2 x 1080p/60 projectors
2 x 3dxl boxes (for 3dblu-ray/xbox/ps3/settop box)
2 x dolby filters
n x infitec-dolby3d glasses
1x HDMI splitter box

(if you want gaming or to watch movies from computer)
1 x HTPC with nvidia or ati 3d card and system

So please once again- its the filters really- where can one get filters of any kind- be it infitec/dolby3d or circular or linear polorization filters. But my main focus now has shifted to infitec/Dolby3d system- so that type of filters would be great. And also maybe an idea of what these filters cost.
I would appreciate a link to a website.

Thanks everyone-
post #1252 of 1729 Old 05-10-2011, 09:11 AM

You can get regular dolby glasses on ebay.
Also the new plastic glasses at:
http://www.3doptix.be/en/Dolby-3D-gl...optix.tpl.html
(I am going to get some for testing)

For the projector filters, you have to contact either one of the Dolby resellers:
http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/A...ribListWEB.pdf

I got my filters through one the three listed french resellers with no problem. I just had to make a call and send a check (I dont know if they ship overseas.)

Reference number for the filters is:
CAT835 Dolby 3D Calibration Lenses (left and right) = $320
They are square 50x50 millimeters filters, about 2mm thick. They are bare pieces of glass. You have to make your own frames.

To experiment, you can also use a regular (cat834) pair of glasses to make filters out of them (must be cat834-glass lens):
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopi...1320&start=104

About the projectors: Remember that vertical lens shift capability is mandatory. Also, very short throw projectors are not recommended as you may get color shifts in the corners. Infitec/dolby recommend 1.7:1 at least:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...0&d=1277480362
The longest throw the better.

Jack
post #1253 of 1729 Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Also that HD 66 is a 720p projector with no lens shift. I would recommend something like the Epson Home Cinema 8350. It is twice the HD66 but has twice the pixels plus lens shift and a really good zoom lens.
post #1254 of 1729 Old 05-10-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

Also that HD 66 is a 720p projector with no lens shift. I would recommend something like the Epson Home Cinema 8350. It is twice the HD66 but has twice the pixels plus lens shift and a really good zoom lens.

I like my epson better too and its only an ex51. Its a xga but the picture is as good as my optoma hd66 and it projects a bigger picture on the wall from 15 feet. Too bad its not 3d.
post #1255 of 1729 Old 05-12-2011, 08:54 AM

post #1256 of 1729 Old 05-13-2011, 10:58 PM

I have got my 3D-XL all hooked up. The 3D movies are awesome except for one issue. I am having a lot of tiny green and purple specs show up on the screen. I am not sure what this is. When I make the picture brighter they aren't as bad, but they are still there. Does anyone have any ideas on this issue?
post #1257 of 1729 Old 05-14-2011, 12:43 AM

Do you have good HDMI cables?
I happened to have random red horizontal lines with a bad cable.
Jack
post #1258 of 1729 Old 05-14-2011, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Wow, I didnt want to hurt anybody....

My experience in silverscreen is with a Harkness 240 which comes right after Steward's in professional quality.
I spent over 500 euros in this 2 meter wide screen. Believe me, that was a very bad experience. Hot spot and screen grain that ruins full HD picture quality.

I totally agree with BlackShark about screen grain:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...74&mode=linear
Unless you are seated over 6-10 meters away from the screen, it is a deal breaker for me as I am seated 3 meters away.

The hot spotting I was getting speaks for itself:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopi...11320&start=23

The ghosting was in the expected range of 100-120:1, while I am getting over 200:1 with my dolby3D filters. Not as high as I wanted because of my very short throw projectors that render a slight color shift, hence ghosting, in the corners. It has to be mentionned that Infitec/Dolby claim a 1000:1 ratio, in theory.

Of course I have not tried *all* available silverscreens on the market. You may be luckier than me...

Jack
My experience with any high gain screen is that it needs to be curved in a torus configuration(horizontally and vertically) in order not to have hot spotting. The use of this type of screen occurred in the early crt projection days because of the low lumens of those projectors. trying to find information on the how to build one is not easily found. With 3D transmission losses this would be an advantage in compensating for these losses. If it is flat then hot spotting will result.
post #1259 of 1729 Old 05-16-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

My high gain Vutec Silverstar does not hotspot. I do get shimmer on really bright scenes, but I don't really have a problem with it. I have never heard complaints of the Da-lite High Power hotspotting either. That is nasty hotspotting on that Harkeness. I am really hoping it was the result of really close projector placement. I have harkness screen material sitting in my closet. I have only heard good things about the Harkness from others. Vutec is making a polarized version of the Silverstar. I can imagine it will be a great screen for passive. Just fired off an email to see if I could upgrade.
post #1260 of 1729 Old 05-16-2011, 12:57 PM

I've done a lot of reading about the 3DXL, but I still have one question:

Will it accept a 120Hz 720p signal as an input? I would like to just pass through this signal to my projector since it has already been converted by my HTPC.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Optoma , Optoma 3d Xl Converter Box For 3d Video And Gaming , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page