The "Official" Optoma 3DXL Owner's thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1729 Old 05-16-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am very sure that is what will happen. I will try to remember to try it out tonight and get back to you. If you have nVidia you can just send the framepacked 3D to the 3DXL, 3DPlay or whatever it is called.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1729 Old 05-16-2011, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

I am very sure that is what will happen. I will try to remember to try it out tonight and get back to you. If you have nVidia you can just send the framepacked 3D to the 3DXL, 3DPlay or whatever it is called.

I appreciate your quick response and help. 720p@120 Hz is not one of the listed supported input formats, but one could assume that if the 3DXL can output it, why wouldn't it be able to input it?

I am actually using iZ3D with an ATI card for games. It is outputting the format in question. I'd rather not have to mess with sending another format as the iZ3D driver is finicky as it is.
post #1263 of 1729 Old 05-16-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Probably a better option (and what I plan to do) is a switch box to just bypass the 3D-XL, then you don't have to worry about processing lag. Monoprice switch boxes are really cheap. I was thinking of getting the 4x4 matrix switch to handle both the 720p and 1080p projectors and all the different inputs.
post #1264 of 1729 Old 05-17-2011, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, testing done. Of course I am just one guy with a belly full of Shiraz so don't assume anything is set in stone.
PC output though the 3D-XL (just tested with nVidia's test demo) - apparently this breaks the nVidia emitter. Not sure why. I plugged it into the Optoma's vesa port but that didn't help. DLP Link worked just fine. Now the weird thing is I plugged my new 3Dheaven Samsung emitter into the Vesa Port on the 3D-XL and that actually worked. Apparently it knows it is getting a 3D signal. I didn't test 3DTV Play. I hope to try that later.
So I posted this in the other thread:
"I got my samsung emitter hooked up to my 3D-XL. It is amazing. The rechargable IR glasses are very nice. They have replaceable nose peices. Luckily the thinest one most closely fit the original Ultraclears, which I like the shape of. The rubber nose peice combined with the lighter weight of the glasses is really nice. Plus no eye reversal, and no stupid 3D menu popup on the Acer, are extra bonus. Very happy so far. The emitter is really small. I was worried about power, but I they kept sync even when I went to the bathroom next to my theater. I wasn't even in view of the emitter. Not sure how it could bounce off my flat black room. Way better than the nVidia emitter, which is huge."

I forgot to mention another advantage. They block the IR flash from the DLP link glasses unlike the nVidia glasses. I have no problem using these in conjunction with the DLP Link glasses (although I would still like to replace them all for the comfort factor and lack of eye reversal)

So, if you want to do 3D, I STRONGLY recommend the 3D-XL, or any other adapter with VESA emitter port, with the 3DHeaven Samsung emitter and samsung compatible UC rechargable glasses.
post #1265 of 1729 Old 05-17-2011, 08:02 AM

I'm looking to buy the 3D-XL but want to use it with IR glasses rather than DLP link. Is there anywhere I can buy it without the bundled DLP link glasses? (I'm based in UK)

Thanks,
post #1266 of 1729 Old 05-17-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Tru3d is the only place I have seen the 3D-XL without the bundle, and they actually take the dlp link glasses out of the bundle. Hopefully Optoma starts selling it seperatly.
the vip displayer will work if you don't plan to upgrade to dual passive.
http://www.consignia.ca/products/VIP...ay-Movies.html
post #1267 of 1729 Old 05-17-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Ok, testing done. Of course I am just one guy with a belly full of Shiraz so don't assume anything is set in stone.
PC output though the 3D-XL (just tested with nVidia's test demo) - apparently this breaks the nVidia emitter. Not sure why. I plugged it into the Optoma's vesa port but that didn't help. DLP Link worked just fine. Now the weird thing is I plugged my new 3Dheaven Samsung emitter into the Vesa Port on the 3D-XL and that actually worked. Apparently it knows it is getting a 3D signal. I didn't test 3DTV Play. I hope to try that later.

Thanks. I'm using DLP link and a 120 Hz signal from my PC. Not quite sure what you're outputting from your PC in this case since I'm not too familiar with nVidia's 3d mode. Perhaps it is also frame-interleaved 120 Hz?
post #1268 of 1729 Old 05-17-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Tru3d is the only place I have seen the 3D-XL without the bundle, and they actually take the dlp link glasses out of the bundle. Hopefully Optoma starts selling it seperatly.
the vip displayer will work if you don't plan to upgrade to dual passive.
http://www.consignia.ca/products/VIP...ay-Movies.html

Do they sell the displayer in the States? I haven't seen anything but the gamer....
post #1269 of 1729 Old 05-17-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Doesn't look like it. Even their vip's own web site doesn't offer it.
post #1270 of 1729 Old 05-17-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm selling my 3d-vip displayer. Here is the link:

http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...iew&1305665837

I'm selling it because I need side by side and don't need the 60hz compatibility.
post #1271 of 1729 Old 05-17-2011, 10:12 PM

I'm using Viewsonic PGD-250s DLP Link glasses with my PJD6531w and VP3D1 adapter. I haven't once had to go into any menus on the projector to invert the 3D or switch it. The glasses take care of all of that extremely well.

So all this talk early about this being an issue on DLP Link was completely resolved with these glasses.

3D rocks on these, no ghosting, no rainbow, no tint, just pure 3D goodness.

Caveat: I've already had a pair crack (hairline) in the middle which happened about 90 minutes before my amazon return window closed. Luckily I have my new pair already and all is well. I'll let you know if one of my two good pairs have any further issues.
post #1272 of 1729 Old 05-18-2011, 08:13 AM

Honestly the picture on my hd 66 isnt that great. Its not as good as my mits 60 inch only bigger. I just wasted over 1 grand cause people on here said its as good as a movie theater. Well its not, just because the picture is bigger doesnt make the 3d as good as a theater. Im gonna sell both my hd 66 and my 3d-xl
post #1273 of 1729 Old 05-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughes032 View Post

Honestly the picture on my hd 66 isnt that great. Its not as good as my mits 60 inch only bigger. I just wasted over 1 grand cause people on here said its as good as a movie theater. Well its not, just because the picture is bigger doesnt make the 3d as good as a theater. Im gonna sell both my hd 66 and my 3d-xl

Everything is working as it should in your setup?
post #1274 of 1729 Old 05-18-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

What screen do you have? I would try a Da-lite high power screen before giving up. A good screen makes a much bigger difference than anything else in the system.
post #1275 of 1729 Old 05-18-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:

I have the mits 60" inch as my bedroom tv. We have watched 3d on both, My wife and I agreed that the HD66 has a better picture.
Alot goes into setting up a projection home theater room such as lighting, screen, pj settings and setup. I sold my mits hc4000 and downgraded to the optoma for the 3D, After adjusting alot of the settings I was very suprised and happy with HD66.
post #1276 of 1729 Old 05-18-2011, 11:23 AM

If you are using DLP link glasses, was your sync correct? You may have to use the sync invert option in the projector menu. Also, some 3d blu-ray players ask for the screen size or something similar to adjust depth.
post #1277 of 1729 Old 05-18-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

With only 10 posts on here? Ya gotta give us mroe than that?

I own a Mits 65" and use a similar Optioma projector only even lower end and the 3D PQ is better than my Mitsu, much better as a matter of fact.

Please elaborate?

Move the projector closer so it matches the size? I'd bank it's better even in 2D at the same size.
post #1278 of 1729 Old 05-18-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
What screen do you have? I would try a Da-lite high power screen before giving up. A good screen makes a much bigger difference than anything else in the system.
I had it projected on my white wall downstairs at 140 inches and the picture wasnt that great. So I took it upstairs and projected it on my white matte screen at 100 inches. Ive got the settings like the people said to on here in a pitch black room and it is 3d. Its just not anything like the 3d I watched when I saw Avatar in the theater. It was just all around me there and I was blew away. I bought my 3d tv and wasnt impressed now I got the projector and still not impressed. Ive got an epson xga and its got a better picture than the optoma and it zooms to a 126 inch screen upstairs where the optoma will only do 100 in the same amount of space. The epson cost less too and its suppose to be lower quality. I guess if I want to see great 3d Ill hafta go to the theater cause Im done blowing money at home.
post #1279 of 1729 Old 05-18-2011, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, like I say the screen is a huge deal. Matt white sucks. My Vutec Silverstar is blinding in 2D with my Acer H5360. It is just right in 3D. The Da-lite High Power would be a cheaper alternative and show you what your projector can really do.
post #1280 of 1729 Old 05-18-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I second the suggestion of getting the dalite high power screen. You will be blown away by the improvement in brightness. Plus it doesn't cost much. You are almost there. You are probably underestimating the importance of a high gain screen for 3d.
post #1281 of 1729 Old 05-18-2011, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Really? Sorry to hear that. What do you want for the set? PM me and let me know where you are located. I am really waiting for the Acer H5360BD but if you want out of that setup that bad maybe we can work something out.

BTW, I have a Sammy 61" DLP TV and it looks good. I had a GT720 for a short while and it did not look as good as the Sammy in some instances but one has to remember that the picture was over 4 times as big. That will reveal a lot of signal flaws. The same reason smaller 720p 32" HD TVs look so good, not big enough to see the flaws.

Again, if you are that unhappy with your setup, maybe I can take it off of your hands.
post #1282 of 1729 Old 05-19-2011, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I had it projected on my white wall downstairs at 140 inches and the picture wasnt that great. So I took it upstairs and projected it on my white matte screen at 100 inches. Ive got the settings like the people said to on here in a pitch black room and it is 3d. Its just not anything like the 3d I watched when I saw Avatar in the theater. It was just all around me there and I was blew away. I bought my 3d tv and wasnt impressed now I got the projector and still not impressed. Ive got an epson xga and its got a better picture than the optoma and it zooms to a 126 inch screen upstairs where the optoma will only do 100 in the same amount of space. The epson cost less too and its suppose to be lower quality. I guess if I want to see great 3d Ill hafta go to the theater cause Im done blowing money at home.
I can't figure it out because most of us seen Avatar at pay theaters in 3D and use these DLP projectors for 3D at their homes and it's better at home. At least that is my experience with it. I use an inexpensive white matt screen of 1.4 gain spec.

Optoma does offer shorter throw projectors. I have one. I get 100" from 6' or so on it.
post #1283 of 1729 Old 05-19-2011, 10:17 AM

I thought maybe it was the screen too and thats why I took it upstairs. I use to have a better quality screen but the one upstairs works as good. Maybe a better screen would make the picture better but I dont think the 3d would leap out anymore than it already does. Its a good picture its just not the blow me away picture I saw in the theaters. When I watched avatar it was literally all around me. I look beside me and see stuff floating. With this at home it maybe sticks out 6 feet.
post #1284 of 1729 Old 05-19-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How close were you and how big of a screen at the theater?

When I seen it I was not quite 1/2 way back in the theater. I kept thinking that I wish I had sat closer. But others with me overruled me.

I am about 8' from my 106" screen. And I did have things floating beside me screening Avatar. Everybody in attendance at my screening was flat out blown away. Even those in the second row of seating which is around 13' and higher up than the 1st row.

I use an Optoma GT700 by the way with the 3D-XL, panny player.
post #1285 of 1729 Old 05-19-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

How close were you and how big of a screen at the theater?

When I seen it I was not quite 1/2 way back in the theater. I kept thinking that I wish I had sat closer. But others with me overruled me.

I am about 8' from my 106" screen. And I did have things floating beside me screening Avatar. Everybody in attendance at my screening was flat out blown away. Even those in the second row of seating which is around 13' and higher up than the 1st row.

I use an Optoma GT700 by the way with the 3D-XL, panny player.

I was setting half way back in the theater too. Maybe I just got my settings off I was gonna try a game time projector like you got cause they had them at best buy but people were saying they didnt show as good of an image. Yours has got a better throw than mine and all. at 12 feet back all I can get is a 100 inch screen and I set all the way back in the room to watch movies. You think maybe I should set closer?
post #1286 of 1729 Old 05-19-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Try sitting closer.... I think we should try some things before you throw in the towel on it. On the PQ? I'd task anybody to tell the difference between the HD66, GT700, GT720 on the same material / scenes without knowing which was which.

There is like zero difference in the PQ. The all use the same chip, same color wheel speed, same prisms, and with China getting into the "better" optics game in the past 10 years, short throw -vs- long throw lenses show very little difference anymore and have virtually no price differences to manufacturers.

You have me curious now, I will have to screen it again and sit in the second row. I am normally a 1st row or in the pay theater a close up kind of guy.
post #1287 of 1729 Old 05-19-2011, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I sit 7' from my 120" screen. I like the imax effect. When I saw Avatar my family got stuck in the very front row way on the left side. That was less than optimal. Can't wait till I can see it on my projector.
post #1288 of 1729 Old 05-19-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Try sitting closer.... I think we should try some things before you throw in the towel on it. On the PQ? I'd task anybody to tell the difference between the HD66, GT700, GT720 on the same material / scenes without knowing which was which.

There is like zero difference in the PQ. The all use the same chip, same color wheel speed, same prisms, and with China getting into the "better" optics game in the past 10 years, short throw -vs- long throw lenses show very little difference anymore and have virtually no price differences to manufacturers.

You have me curious now, I will have to screen it again and sit in the second row. I am normally a 1st row or in the pay theater a close up kind of guy.

Ye I shoulda got your projector at best buy. That way if I wasnt happy with it I coulda put it back in the box taped it up and took it back. Its harder to do that when you order something online. I messed around with the settings changing gamma to pc and lowering the brightness and set closer. made the picture look a little better. Still wasnt surrounded by 3d tho
post #1289 of 1729 Old 05-20-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I hate to ask... Are you sure you have the 3D Blueray version of Avatar?

The disk was difficult to get unless you purchased a panny product is all.
post #1290 of 1729 Old 05-20-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Ye I shoulda got your projector at best buy. That way if I wasnt happy with it I coulda put it back in the box taped it up and took it back. Its harder to do that when you order something online. I messed around with the settings changing gamma to pc and lowering the brightness and set closer. made the picture look a little better. Still wasnt surrounded by 3d tho

When I bought my GT720 @ Best Buy they put tape on it to identify if I opened it and warned there was a restock fee if so. This was a few months ago- I think I read somewhere they did or will eliminate this policy, I'm not sure...
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Optoma , Optoma 3d Xl Converter Box For 3d Video And Gaming , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page