Samsung 3d dlp + 3dc-100s = 3d - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 242 Old 02-09-2011, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My unit arrived today. Everything appears to be working except the red light on my emitter isn't illuminating during 3d content. The glasses can't seem to pair up so the image still looks split. Any suggestions? This is on a Samsung HL61A750.

The PS3 recognized that it could now output 3D images at 720p and 1080p. My current setup is HDMI out of PS3 into the adapter. HDMI out of the adapter to the HDMI3/DVI input of the television. I have a DIN cable going from the televisions "3D Sync Out" port to the adapters "3D Glasses Emitter In" port. Finally the emitter is plugged into the port entitled "3D Glasses Emitter Out". Audio is being passed through an optical cable.

Any tips or tricks? Is there a specific order in which I need to power everything up in? Could the emitter simply be broken and/or shorted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 242 Old 02-09-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungwader View Post

My unit arrived today. Everything appears to be working except the red light on my emitter isn't illuminating during 3d content. The glasses can't seem to pair up so the image still looks split. Any suggestions? This is on a Samsung HL61A750.

The PS3 recognized that it could now output 3D images at 720p and 1080p. My current setup is HDMI out of PS3 into the adapter. HDMI out of the adapter to the HDMI3/DVI input of the television. I have a DIN cable going from the televisions "3D Sync Out" port to the adapters "3D Glasses Emitter In" port. Finally the emitter is plugged into the port entitled "3D Glasses Emitter Out". Audio is being passed through an optical cable.

Any tips or tricks? Is there a specific order in which I need to power everything up in? Could the emitter simply be broken and/or shorted?

The emitter will only light up if you are using mode 1 3D on your TV.
post #123 of 242 Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 PM

I got mine Monday. I tried upstream and downstream and every other way from my ps3 and receiver (its HDMI 1.3, i think) and it wouldn't work. Finally gave up and plugged ps3 HDMI to this 3d adapter, adapter to my tv, and optical audio from tv to receiver. Everything is working good now, except for obvious loss in audio quality, and the tv screen looks very redish in 3d. I renamed the HDMI 3 on my tv to PC but that doesnt seem to make any difference.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. 3d pop and depth looks great.
post #124 of 242 Old 02-09-2011, 07:23 PM

Thank you thebat68. That did the trick. The red hue is a little off putting but once the content actually loads everything looks great.

Edit: Actually it isn't once the content loads. It is just darker scenes, with a Samsung DLP at least, show more of the red push. While the lighter/brighter a scene is the less noticeable it becomes.
post #125 of 242 Old 02-09-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungwader View Post

Thank you thebat68. That did the trick. The red hue is a little off putting but once the content actually loads everything looks great.

I find that the DLP-Link glasses get the red tint gone better than the IR emitter glasses do.
post #126 of 242 Old 02-09-2011, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Try plugging the emitter directly into the TV.
post #127 of 242 Old 02-09-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

Try plugging the emitter directly into the TV.

That is how I have it. I just think the DLP-Link glasses eliminate the red tint better. I am going to sell the 2 pairs of Mitsubishi glasses.
post #128 of 242 Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 PM

So if the DLP Link glasses do a better job with the red tint, the next logical question is does anyone have any info from Mitsubishi that would lead us to believe they may sell only the adapter at the $100 price point as they do for the earlier model?

Not sure exactly why that isn't an option today, are they punishing us for Samsung dropping the ball on this adapter? $100 will ensure a much higher wife-approval rating than $480.
post #129 of 242 Old 02-10-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWestonC View Post

So if the DLP Link glasses do a better job with the red tint, the next logical question is does anyone have any info from Mitsubishi that would lead us to believe they may sell only the adapter at the $100 price point as they do for the earlier model?

Not sure exactly why that isn't an option today, are they punishing us for Samsung dropping the ball on this adapter? $100 will ensure a much higher wife-approval rating than $480.

I am in agreement...I already have DLP link glasses and they work just fine. All I need is the Adaptor..

ASUS Formula III Rampage MB
Intel I7 960 CPU ATI 5850
12GB RAM 58TB Storage
Windows 7 Ultra 64 Bit
Arcsoft TMT5, Ceton Infinity4
Onkyo 5008 to Samsung HL67A750
post #130 of 242 Old 02-10-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhetman View Post

I am in agreement...I already have DLP link glasses and they work just fine. All I need is the Adaptor..

We agree, and we live in the same town. Small world. I live off Sanders Rd in Rockaway.

But yea, it truly seems that they are trying to fleece the non-Mitsu owners by offering the kit for $50 more than the Mitsu version and no adapter.
post #131 of 242 Old 02-10-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you read some of the other threads on DLP link glasses many people have had poor results with certain types of lighting and some other factors. Some DLP sets also have problems putting out a strong enough DLP link signal so the size of the room may also enter into how well DLP ling glasses work.
post #132 of 242 Old 02-10-2011, 06:40 PM

Got mine today and it works perfectly with my HL-T5089S. Really pleased with the results so far. The PS3 Killzone 3 single player 3D demo is amazing. Really impressive and lots of fun. It's a nice long demo and I will be playing it again.

I do have one question. I had my TV professionally calibrated (a friend was an ISF tech) and I've always had it in "Movie" mode for all three HDMI inputs. It appears that when in 3D mode, HDMI 3 is locked in Dynamic mode and it's greyed out it and can't be changed. Is this normal? I'm guessing that it is and that it has to do with overcoming the light loss/dimming effect of the glasses.

I have the emitter plugged directly into the TV and haven't noticed the red tint in the shadows or darker scenes yet. However, I wasn't under optimal lighting conditions when I tested it earlier and the wife is watching TV now. Looking forward to some more play time with it later tonight.
post #133 of 242 Old 02-14-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
If you read some of the other threads on DLP link glasses many people have had poor results with certain types of lighting and some other factors. Some DLP sets also have problems putting out a strong enough DLP link signal so the size of the room may also enter into how well DLP ling glasses work.
I have both the Xpan 102's and the Ultra Clears and the DLP Link works fine for both brands. The Ultra Clears are lighter weight but don't work as well as the Xpans over std glasses. Haven't developed a preference for either brand yet but do not have sync problems with either one.

I also have a smaller Samsung Plasma TV that uses IR rather then DLP link. The Samsung glasses that came with that TV do lose sync but the RF version of the Ultra Clears do not and are both cheaper and better in my opinion over the Samsungs. The Ultra Clear are also better built then the Samsung and much less fragile. I already accidently broke one of the Samsung and have no clue as to how they were broken.

12GB RAM 58TB Storage
Windows 7 Ultra 64 Bit
post #134 of 242 Old 02-14-2011, 09:41 PM

Has anyone been able to read thestand alone with MonInfo of the 3dc-100s EDID??
post #135 of 242 Old 02-15-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWestonC View Post

We agree, and we live in the same town. Small world. I live off Sanders Rd in Rockaway.

But yea, it truly seems that they are trying to fleece the non-Mitsu owners by offering the kit for $50 more than the Mitsu version and no adapter.

Check your PM messages....

12GB RAM 58TB Storage
Windows 7 Ultra 64 Bit
post #136 of 242 Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 PM

Just received my 3dc-100s today & it appears to be completely dead. The power light doesn't come on at all - tested with multiple outlets. Support 800 # is only available 7am-5pm, so I'll have to call them tomorrow. Man that stinks - I was very excited to try it out. Hopefully Mitsu support takes care of it quickly.
post #137 of 242 Old 02-15-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffslaw View Post

Just received my 3dc-100s today & it appears to be completely dead. The power light doesn't come on at all - tested with multiple outlets. Support 800 # is only available 7am-5pm, so I'll have to call them tomorrow. Man that stinks - I was very excited to try it out. Hopefully Mitsu support takes care of it quickly.

Crazy question for you. Did you just plug in the power to the 3Dc-100s to see if it was getting power or did you hook everything up and noticed no power. I only asked as I noticed that if you do not have a signal going to it, it will not power on at all no matter what.
post #138 of 242 Old 02-16-2011, 07:30 AM

I assumed the power light would come on when the unit was plugged into the A/C adapter. Thanks for pointing that out - saved me a support call.
post #139 of 242 Old 02-16-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I assumed the power light would come on when the unit was plugged into the A/C adapter. Thanks for pointing that out - saved me a support call.
No problem, glad it is working for you.
post #140 of 242 Old 02-16-2011, 06:31 PM

I setup my new 3dC-100s and get 3d video, but have a very strange audio issue. The audio background music plays fine whether playing 3d blu-rays or Vudu 3d trailers (also on ps3), but I hear no voices at all. I have the Samsung HL-T6187S and I'm trying to use it with my PS3 in a simple ps3 to converter to tv setup. The audio problem is the same whether I use the TV internal speakers over hdmi or routing a optical audio cable to my Onkyo receiver. Any 2D content I play routing through the converter has no audio problem. I've switched out all my hdmi cables with no change (although all my hdmi cables are cheap from amazon). I'm a A/V newb - maybe I'm missing something simple. Anyone else have this issue or have possible suggestions? Thx.
post #141 of 242 Old 02-16-2011, 08:42 PM

I'm not sure why my HDMI out from PS3-converter-TV had sound issues, but I didn't customize my optical input correctly under PS3/Audio settings when I originally tested it. Once I updated this, the sound worked properly playing 3D content with an Optical connection to my Onkyo receiver. I also tried routing HDMI through the Onkyo-converter-tv, but the TV lost signal every time 3D content was played. Oh well, I can live with the current setup. Just glad to have it working .
post #142 of 242 Old 02-18-2011, 03:19 PM

Got busy. Sorry.

St1tch: My AVR doesn't do HDMI audio. I can only select TOSLINK or COAX as digital audio inputs.
post #143 of 242 Old 02-18-2011, 03:37 PM

I changed my setup because people wanted to know if the audio would go through the receiver. Initially, I had the PS3 connected to the TV with the 100S in the middle, and then audio out of the TV to the AVR via TOSLINK. I moved the 100S between the AVR and the TV later to test it that way.

Not sure how I misunderstood how to set up my soundsystem, but if you could enlighten me, I'd be much appreciative. I can select only TOSLINK or COAX as digital audio inputs. It will not "read" audio from HDMI inputs. Not sure how else I could get audio into my AVR except getting it out of the TV's TOSLINK or COAX outs. But I'm old and feeble, so it's entirely possible I did something stupid.

BTW, when I'm using the PS3, the display on the AVR shows Dolby Digital. When I'm using the TV or XBox 360, it switches to Dolby Digital PL IIx Movie, or something similar to that. Not sure if that helps anyone in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benananda View Post
What I understood from his explanation is that his HDMI bypasses the AVR entirely, and then audio is output through the optical out of the TV to the AVR. Since the 3D signal never saw the AVR it never was a problem. This is the only way it could work, as a 1.3 AVR will not pass a 1.4 3D signal; so just bypass it.

I understand this setup doesn't make sense for normal listening, as you lose all loss-less formats, but Nervebag misunderstood how to set up his sound system, and his mistake is now an interesting work-around.

Correction- I'm going by NerveBag's first statement :"I have a PS3 going into the 100s, then into my 67A670. The audio goes out from my TV and into my Onkyo TX-SR505 via optical cable. All the audio was fine with that setup."

Another later statement contradicts this and, to me, seems implausible: "I have HDMI from PS3 to the Onkyo, then from the Onkyo to the adapter, then from the adapter to the TV. Then I have TOSLINK from the TV's audio out to the AVR's in. Doesn't that show that the 5.1 is getting through the entire chain? No?"

NerveBag, time to clarify.
post #144 of 242 Old 02-18-2011, 03:49 PM

A couple more things, and then I'll shut up. If anyone has trouble believing or understanding my setup, I'll be happy to take and post pictures. If anyone has a better idea for a setup, I'd be thrilled to hear it. Is it worth the $$ to upgrade to a 1.4 AVR? Everyone's talking about the "obvious loss in quality" with my TOSLINK setup, but it sounds fantastic to me. What do I gain by upgrading?

And if you have any other "experiments" you want me to try with my sub-1.3 system, I'd be happy to.

Also, did NOT realize I could plug the emitter directly into my TV. Duh. MUST try that post-haste. :-)

NerveBag

P.S. Sorry for the delayed responses, but life intervened.
post #145 of 242 Old 02-18-2011, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You just need to go directly from your sources to your audio system. It is a number one installation no no to have devices between your audio system and your sources.
post #146 of 242 Old 02-18-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

You just need to go directly from your sources to your audio system. It is a number one installation no no to have devices between your audio system and your sources.

Hmmm... yeah, I guess I didn't pay attention to the fact that the PS3 has it's own TOSLINK out. Is it REALLY going to make that much difference if I use my AVR's other TOSLINK input to get the audio directly from the PS3? Really? I mean, I'm relatively picky about my video and audio, I think, but I can't imagine it being THAT much better than it is now. If it is, that means I gotta buy another damn TOSLINK cable. :-)

And... unless I misunderstood, which is entirely possible, if not probable... someone suggested plugging the emitter directly into the TV to alleviate the red hue issue? Yeeeaaahhh... that doesn't work. At least not for me. I see no discernible difference, regardless of where the emitter output originates. I'm jut going to have red black screens. I've adjusted settings to mitigate the red, and it's not QUITE as noticeable when the glasses are powered up, but it's still disappointing. Not deal-killing, but disappointing.
post #147 of 242 Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 PM

Obviously, a lot of you have PS3s, so I'm assuming many of you are gamers. For those who are, I just played the KillZone3 demo in 3D. F'ing awesome. That's my first 3D shooter (I had just played GT5 before). It takes a few minutes to get used to the perspective, but... wow. Just... wow. I can't imagine why anyone would be a 3D hater after that. If you're a gamer, you must play that demo. 3D adds SO MUCH to that game. That experience will stand with the absolute most memorable experiences in my home gaming life, equal to Super Mario, Out of This World, FF7, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill 1/2, Fallout 3 and a few other I'm probably forgetting. Those moments that make me say, this... THIS... is why I'm a gamer. I hope the game lives up to the demo, 'cause it's a blast to play in a whole new perspective on gaming. Literally.

Awesome.
post #148 of 242 Old 02-19-2011, 01:15 PM

I've tested 3D content for a couple days now with my PS3 & like it , but my wife and I both feel eye strain from the second we put on the glasses for games & movies (which we never noticed when viewing 3d demos at Best Buy or going to 3d movies at the theater). The 3D just doesn't look quite right sometimes (some blur & ghosting). I have the Samsung HL-T6187 & under Options/Ports set HDMI 3 to PC. It doesn't actually rename HDMI3, it just adds PC after HDMI 3 in the name. My setup is simply PS3-Converter-TV. I'm wondering if wearing eye glasses under the 3D glasses is a problem or if I need higher quality HDMI cables, or maybe different kind of 3D glasses would help.
post #149 of 242 Old 02-19-2011, 01:45 PM

Bought the Mits 3DC-100S adapter and just watched my 1st 3D movie on my HL-T7288W TV, loved it. Then I tried 3D on my HR22-100 Directv reciever and no go. I t says my TV is not 3D capable. Called the directv tech rep, and of course the tier 1 reps don't know anything. By the way I'm running the rcvr directly to the 3DC-100 then to the TV.

I read thru this entire thread and appears everone else wasn't having this problem with 3D on DTV.

When I watched the movie from my sammy I just turned everything on and it worked. When I talked on the DTV rep she said my TV had to support side b side, and while I was troubleshooting I found the mits adapter would output a side by side picture but this still didn't help, DTV rcvr still says my TV isn't 3D capable.

From another thread I read people were having trouble with HDMI-CEC, so I turned it off on my HL-T7288, which also didn't help. I also did the reset on te HR22 to no avail.

I stumped on what to try next, so I was hoping some of you DTV users would be able to help.

thanks, John
post #150 of 242 Old 02-19-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:

I've tested 3D content for a couple days now with my PS3 & like it , but my wife and I both feel eye strain from the second we put on the glasses for games & movies (which we never noticed when viewing 3d demos at Best Buy or going to 3d movies at the theater). The 3D just doesn't look quite right sometimes (some blur & ghosting). I have the Samsung HL-T6187 & under Options/Ports set HDMI 3 to PC. It doesn't actually rename HDMI3, it just adds PC after HDMI 3 in the name. My setup is simply PS3-Converter-TV. I'm wondering if wearing eye glasses under the 3D glasses is a problem or if I need higher quality HDMI cables, or maybe different kind of 3D glasses would help.

Never mind..., I seem to fix my own problems right after posting on this board. The two 3D modes for my TV are STD-GLS or INV-GLS. I tested them both briefly & thought they were the same, but there's a drastic improvement when I use INV-GLS mode. Now I get why everyone was so impressed with the PS3 Game demos & movie trailers. WOW!!!!
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page