Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Giants View Post

How about some photos of this set.

Here you go...

(excuse the iPhone quality photos. It's just the easiest way to post )
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 354 Old 02-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

So I cant help asking,,, is that comment directed towards me ?

If so, what was the mis-information ?

Cheers
Davyo

Nah, it was probably me--I commented from the CES what you only reluctantly admitted after you bought the Vizio.
post #33 of 354 Old 02-09-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalter0 View Post

Nah, it was probably me--I commented from the CES what you only reluctantly admitted after you bought the Vizio.

What was it I had said ?

Cheers
Davyo
post #34 of 354 Old 02-09-2011, 06:19 PM

The Official Vizio 65" Passive XVT3D650SV Owner's Thread

How 'bout you plasma guys stick to bashing this panel on the Vizio XVT3D650SV 65" Passive 3D announced thread?

OconRecon: I'm still very pleased with this panel - including the 2D. The blacks are better than my Toshiba 52" LCD and I still haven't calibrated the set. Were you able to get the Vizio remote to operate DirecTV? I'm about to watch Saw the Final Chapter in 3D on DirecTV.
post #35 of 354 Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroad View Post

OconRecon: I'm still very pleased with this panel - including the 2D. The blacks are better than my Toshiba 52" LCD and I still haven't calibrated the set. Were you able to get the Vizio remote to operate DirecTV? I'm about to watch Saw the Final Chapter in 3D on DirecTV.

Man I haven't been able to get it and the little voice in my head says I'm doing something wrong.

I get to the set up screen, press the power button (next to the Input button) and get no response. So I move to the next code an try it again - nada.

Am I doing it right?

Maybe I should start with the DirecTV receiver off?
post #36 of 354 Old 02-09-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How 'bout you plasma guys stick to bashing this panel on the Vizio XVT3D650SV 65" Passive 3D announced thread?

Miroad,,, Im totaly lost,, what plasma guys are bashing this Vizio here on the owners thread,,, I havnt even seen a plasma mentioned or any bashing AT ALL of the Vizio in this entire thread ??????

Cheers
Davyo
post #37 of 354 Old 02-09-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post

Man I haven't been able to get it and the little voice in my head says I'm doing something wrong.

I get to the set up screen, press the power button (next to the Input button) and get no response. So I move to the next code an try it again - nada.

Am I doing it right?

Maybe I should start with the DirecTV receiver off?

Ocon: I ran the setup with the DirecTV receiver on and the Vizio connected to an internet switch with wired ethernet connection. Under "device setup" I selected "satellite box" as input source, "satellite receiver" as device type and "directv" as device brand. I didn't enter any codes. When I finished the setup I was surprised to find that the Vizio remote operated the DirecTV box, including the DVR functions (It's an HR21-700 DVR but the HR20 uses the same remote). I hesitate to do it again because it's working!
post #38 of 354 Old 02-09-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Let me just make sure, step by step, that I'm doing this right:

Using the Vizio remote, I go Menu > TV Settings > Device Setup. Then,

Input Source: Satellite
Pick Device Type: Sat Receiver
Pick Device Brand: DIRECTV

Now, I highlight Confirm Remote Connection press OK on the remote.

It asks me to use the Vizio remote To power the device. If I press the small power button (next to the INPUT button) nothing happens. If I press the big power button (upper R corner), the TV turns off, but the DirecTV receiver remains unresponsive.

Either I'm thick as a brick, or just not having your luck!

I too have an HR21-700.
post #39 of 354 Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 PM

That's exactly what I did and when I pressed the power button next the the input button it turned the TV off. Could it be a problem with your remote or a firmware update that your particular remote doesn't have?
post #40 of 354 Old 02-09-2011, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ahh well. And I've already contacted Vizio and they couldn't help. I'll keep trying. Thanks Miroad.
post #41 of 354 Old 02-10-2011, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
OconRecon, I metioned this in the other thread ,maybe you missed it. But your HR21 might be in RF mode. If it is it will never pick up the the commands from the Vizio remote. Try going into the setup menu on the HR21. Go into the remote setup section and check to see that it's setup for IR or RF. If it's on RF, switch it over to IR and try again. If it's already on IR, you maybe SOL.
post #42 of 354 Old 02-10-2011, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How 'bout you plasma guys stick to bashing this panel on the Vizio XVT3D650SV 65" Passive 3D announced thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Miroad,,, Im totaly lost,, what plasma guys are bashing this Vizio here on the owners thread,,, I havnt even seen a plasma mentioned or any bashing AT ALL of the Vizio in this entire thread ??????

Cheers
Davyo

So again Miroad,,,, who are the plasma guys bashing the Vizio here on the owners thread ??????

Cheers
Davyo
post #43 of 354 Old 02-10-2011, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post

OconRecon, I metioned this in the other thread ,maybe you missed it. But your HR21 might be in RF mode. If it is it will never pick up the the commands from the Vizio remote. Try going into the setup menu on the HR21. Go into the remote setup section and check to see that it's setup for IR or RF. If it's on RF, switch it over to IR and try again. If it's already on IR, you maybe SOL.

Well I'll be..... (insert embarrassed emoticons here)

You were right. I recall your post & thought I checked it, but must have either gotten busy or assumed I wasn't in RF mode (I would have sworn my only RF D* remote was in the basement).

Switched it to IR and it worked. I did have to "Try The Next Code" until I reached code 4. All set now.

Thanks so much for your re-post.
post #44 of 354 Old 02-10-2011, 10:24 AM

Ocon: Glad to hear you're on board!
post #45 of 354 Old 02-10-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 61
People tend to get protective when it comes to a given technology.

The current crop of top tier plasmas in the 63-65" range can be had for about the same price as the Vizio. 2nd tier plasma units, even less.

Makes sense to consider both technologies, unless you have a particular bias towards or against one of them.

If people are truly looking for the best pq available, it shouldn't matter what technology delivers it. Commenting about a rival technology is not bashing anything.
post #46 of 354 Old 02-10-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ocon: Glad to hear you're on board!

Yeah man!

Just launched the Pandora widget. It's gorgeous. Music quality is OK, but that's par for the course with compression tech, as we all know.
post #47 of 354 Old 02-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post

Well I'll be..... (insert embarrassed emoticons here)

You were right. I recall your post & thought I checked it, but must have either gotten busy or assumed I wasn't in RF mode (I would have sworn my only RF D* remote was in the basement).

Switched it to IR and it worked. I did have to "Try The Next Code" until I reached code 4. All set now.

Thanks so much for your re-post.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.
post #48 of 354 Old 02-10-2011, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Miroad,, I see how this works,,,,, you make a statement/claim that is totaly untrue and made up,, and then when asked about your statement that you made you simply ignor the question, even when the question is asked of you several times,,,,,, nice.

For future reference,, this forum is about sharing information and being honest and not bashing or slamming,, perhaps you will keep that in mind in your furture postings,,,, checking facts is always better than making stuff up and posting it.

Dont worry Miroad, Im done now, the subject is over.

Goodbye to you
Davyo
post #49 of 354 Old 02-11-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

I'm sure you guys have seen this, but more content this Sunday night!!

Channel 107 on DirecTV. The launch of 3net by Sony, Discovery, and IMAX. Also, ESPN3D is reportedly going 24/7!

3net Premiere Night Schedule (all times Eastern):

CHINA REVEALED (8:00 PM) China's beauty is little seen, often hidden and always surprising. This hour-long series explores the thronging cities, epic vistas and spiritual heartlands of this huge and mysterious nation in stunning 3D. Produced by Natural History New Zealand Ltd.

INTO THE DEEP 3D (9:00 PM) This IMAX special takes audiences on a spectacular three-dimensional exploration of the undersea world. Using the IMAX 3D camera in its underwater housing for the first time, this film captures unique marine life and magnificent underwater vistas.

FORGOTTEN PLANET (10:00 PM) Explore the strangest places on earth - once vibrant cities now completely devoid of all humanity. This series of one-hour programs imagines the world humans will one day leave behind by exploring what we've already abandoned. Produced by Flight 33 Productions.

---

Great promo vid. I'm sooooo there!! (Here's the link. I must be doing something wrong as I can't get the actual video window to show in my post. I just see a big white box)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omZxbLoMHhI&hd=1

post #50 of 354 Old 02-11-2011, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the heads up! As of now, however, DirecTV isn't showing channel 107 yet in their channel lineup. They have added another channel: 105 - n3D on demand but it only has three offerings at this time (free).
post #51 of 354 Old 02-13-2011, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up! As of now, however, DirecTV isn't showing channel 107 yet in their channel lineup. They have added another channel: 105 - n3D on demand but it only has three offerings at this time (free).

As is typical of Directv; the channel shows up on the guide at 6AM the day of the launch. It just showed up a few minutes ago.
post #52 of 354 Old 02-13-2011, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

The Football picture setting is great for watching hockey in HD, especially in the daytime.

The setting ought to be called "Football/Hockey".
post #53 of 354 Old 02-13-2011, 07:16 PM

Just watched a documentary about the Great Wall of China and am now watching an undersea one on 3net - 3D is great!
post #54 of 354 Old 02-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
post #55 of 354 Old 02-15-2011, 07:25 PM

I used Digital Video Essentials (blu-ray) to calibrate the set. This Vizio has a great range of options for calibration. However, I found the factory standard settings to be very good and close to optimum with the exception of sharpness, which needed some tweaking. Grayscale needed a small adjustment as well.
I don't know whether I just lucked out with the panel I bought or if CNET got a bad set but I'm very pleased with the PQ of this panel. Sure, the 3D isn't perfect but I still prefer it to active 3D. The image is bright and flicker-free and the glasses comfortable (I can't wear active glasses for more than 20 or 30 minutes without them bothering me). IMHO the 2D PQ is very good. I have four other LCD panels and this one has the best PQ of them all. Granted, Panasonic plasma has better 2D PQ but I don't like plasmas for a variety of reasons (my last plasma suffered horribly for 4:3 standard definition burn in - very annoying).
This set is probably not for videophiles. However, I'm an electrical engineer and pretty much a techno-geek and I have no regrets about purchasing it. Passive 2D still has a way to go before it's perfected - which probably won't happen until 4k LCD becomes affordable and, when it is, 3D will probably be all passive. This panel should suit me well for the next few years until the next generation comes along.
post #56 of 354 Old 02-16-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I used Digital Video Essentials (blu-ray) to calibrate the set. This Vizio has a great range of options for calibration. However, I found the factory standard settings to be very good and close to optimum with the exception of sharpness, which needed some tweaking. Grayscale needed a small adjustment as well.
I don't know whether I just lucked out with the panel I bought or if CNET got a bad set but I'm very pleased with the PQ of this panel. Sure, the 3D isn't perfect but I still prefer it to active 3D. The image is bright and flicker-free and the glasses comfortable (I can't wear active glasses for more than 20 or 30 minutes without them bothering me). IMHO the 2D PQ is very good. I have four other LCD panels and this one has the best PQ of them all. Granted, Panasonic plasma has better 2D PQ but I don't like plasmas for a variety of reasons (my last plasma suffered horribly for 4:3 standard definition burn in - very annoying).
This set is probably not for videophiles. However, I'm an electrical engineer and pretty much a techno-geek and I have no regrets about purchasing it. Passive 2D still has a way to go before it's perfected - which probably won't happen until 4k LCD becomes affordable and, when it is, 3D will probably be all passive. This panel should suit me well for the next few years until the next generation comes along.

My father in law is extremely happy that I had him purchase this set. It's not a videophiles 'dream' set (as you pointed out) but for 3D it's great and for 'most' people the 2D is also great.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #57 of 354 Old 02-16-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Agree with you both. Videophiles tend to turn their nose up at Vizio's anyway, which is fine as we all have our wants and desires.

I'm loving this TV. My wife was raving about the Golf Channel's Dubai coverage this weekend. Of course in Ohio this time of year, green grass and sunshine looks damn good.
post #58 of 354 Old 02-20-2011, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Watching my third Vudu movie through VIA's widgets. Great picture quality. First Winter's Bone in SD, then Unstoppable and Animal Kingdom in HDX.
post #59 of 354 Old 02-21-2011, 02:42 PM

Greetings all.

I'm in Northern VA and am interested in this TV. My local Costco (Chantilly) sells it but doesn't have a 3D demo set-up. Anyone know of any stores in the DC area where I can go and see a demo running and specifically see how the passive 3D looks?

Also, everywhere seems to be selling them for retail. I know others have purchased them for ~$3K. I know we can't discuss pricing here so please send me a PM if you know of anywhere offering them for less than retail.

Thanks!
post #60 of 354 Old 02-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoysLandC View Post

Greetings all.

I'm in Northern VA and am interested in this TV. My local Costco (Chantilly) sells it but doesn't have a 3D demo set-up. Anyone know of any stores in the DC area where I can go and see a demo running and specifically see how the passive 3D looks?

Also, everywhere seems to be selling them for retail. I know others have purchased them for ~$3K. I know we can't discuss pricing here so please send me a PM if you know of anywhere offering them for less than retail.

Thanks!

Click on the the link to Cleveland Plasma on the header of this page. They are a forum sponser, and Chris is a member of AVS. Right now, I think he has the best price.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Vizio Xvt3d650sv 65 Inch Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page