The Official Vizio 65" Passive XVT3D650SV Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 354 Old 10-31-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't recall the exact mount I used, but go to Monoprice to get it. If you need a tilt, I'd recommend 15° if your TV is over 5' off the floor.

Separate note, I watched DirecTV's NFL RedZone channel yesterday on this baby, and I was so excited with the pic, I almost came here to post about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 354 Old 10-31-2011, 01:49 PM

Thanks much. I'm checking Monoprice out now. On a side note ... we watched Captain America in 3D with company and it was awesome. Guest thought it was so cool! I'd like to get the Vizio 510 soundbar w/rear surrounds and sub. But I'm reading too many reviews stating many unsatisfied with a led light problem? I wonder how long I might have to wait for an upgrade that has corrected the issue? If Vizio doesn't know ... nobody knows. I'm patient.
post #183 of 354 Old 10-31-2011, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharGriller View Post

Thanks much. I'm checking Monoprice out now. On a side note ... we watched Captain America in 3D with company and it was awesome. Guest thought it was so cool! I'd like to get the Vizio 510 soundbar w/rear surrounds and sub. But I'm reading too many reviews stating many unsatisfied with a led light problem? I wonder how long I might have to wait for an upgrade that has corrected the issue? If Vizio doesn't know ... nobody knows. I'm patient.

Monprice also has a soundbar that is nice too from what I have heard.
post #184 of 354 Old 11-01-2011, 09:01 AM

Any word on DLNA capability Just got one of these beauties and auto dl latest firmware
But still dont see DLNA connectivity
post #185 of 354 Old 11-01-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjimmy29 View Post

Any word on DLNA capability Just got one of these beauties and auto dl latest firmware

" There is no such thing as a stupid question". DLNA? What does it do?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...twork_Alliance Sorry ... Google.. Who'd have thought?
post #186 of 354 Old 11-01-2011, 11:13 AM

I just wanted to post to share my issues with this set. So far Vizio Customer Support has been extremely helpful and I am confident that they will be able to come to a resolution.

I've had my set since the beginning of Sept and had noticed some serious unevenness of the backlighting in particular across the top of the panel.

Whenever there was a light solid image such as blue sky or white background it would appear as a waviness or splotchy discoloration across the top of the image.

Here's an example:

I thought it might dissipate over time but the unevenness has been persistent and is constant through all HDMI inputs..

To get a more controlled look at the problem I generated a solid uniform grey 16x9 aspect ratio JPG in photoshop.

When I displayed this image on the television the unevenness was clearly apparent. You could even see some lesser unevenness across the bottom of the panel as well as scattered darkening across the middle.

Since my local Costco's no longer stock this set I contacted Vizio by e-mail with the photos attached. They initially instructed me to reinitialize the TV back to its default settings. This didn't provide any improvement.

Shortly thereafter I spoke with telephone support who have reviewed the photos and will now send out a replacement TV.

I will post an update once I receive the new set.

My questions to other owners are:

Has anyone else had any issues with unevenness of the backlighting to this extent?

Is this an isolated problem with my particular panel or is some level of unevenness inherent in the design?
post #187 of 354 Old 11-03-2011, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motegi View Post

Has anyone else had any issues with unevenness of the backlighting to this extent?

Is this an isolated problem with my particular panel or is some level of unevenness inherent in the design?

Isn't that part of the issue with edge lighting? it not being consistent.

Frequently it is visible in dark scenes, but the Smart Dimming feature turns off the LED for the region that has dark scenes.

You should check to see if you have 'Smart Dimming' On and Ambient Light Sensor enabled so that the screen is not overbearing bright for your given environment.
post #188 of 354 Old 11-05-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwang View Post

Isn't that part of the issue with edge lighting? it not being consistent.

Frequently it is visible in dark scenes, but the Smart Dimming feature turns off the LED for the region that has dark scenes.

You should check to see if you have 'Smart Dimming' On and Ambient Light Sensor enabled so that the screen is not overbearing bright for your given environment.

I know that LED edge lighting is not perfect.

However on my set the irregularity across the edges was totally unexpected. The waviness is not symmetric and is only noticeable as a wavy darkening of the top edge in bright scenes or areas of solid lighter backgrounds.

Most of the complaints that I have read about edge lighting was regarding light leakage at the edges in dark/black scenes.

In fact my set looks great in dark scenes with no edge light leakage whatsoever! Go figure!

Anyway, the replacement set will be arriving on Wednesday from Vizio so we shall see...

My Theory:
Since the LCD panel is secured to the case around the periphery with screws, these screws were probably tightened at random thus causing this irregular warping of the LCD/backlight around the periphery.
post #189 of 354 Old 11-05-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know that LED edge lighting is not perfect.

However on my set the irregularity across the edges was totally unexpected. The waviness is not symmetric and is only noticeable as a wavy darkening of the top edge in bright scenes or areas of solid lighter backgrounds.

Most of the complaints that I have read about edge lighting was regarding light leakage at the edges in dark/black scenes.

In fact my set looks great in dark scenes with no edge light leakage whatsoever! Go figure!

Anyway, the replacement set will be arriving on Wednesday from Vizio so we shall see...

My Theory:
Since the LCD panel is secured to the case around the periphery with screws, these screws were probably tightened at random thus causing this irregular warping of the LCD/backlight around the periphery.

If it occurs during dark scenes, then it also occurs on bright scenes. The ambient light features makes the LED operate much less, thus no edge un-uniformity.
post #190 of 354 Old 11-08-2011, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjimmy29 View Post

DLNA, play video off the usb, don't know if they will ever come. Does vizio still update a model's features when it becomes end of life?

Also, anyone with what sounds like the sound volume suddenly changing? I could be watching TV, and all of a sudden, then next scene (or even same scene, but usually with some relative quiet in between) the sound is noticeably lower. At first, I thought it was SRS TrueVolume thinking it was a commercial and adjusting the volume lower, but I turned that off and it is the same. This happens from playing video, OTA channels.

Plus, anybody's TV not changing time based on the DST? I had to turn DST off for it to go to the right time.
post #191 of 354 Old 11-09-2011, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

(I know price talk is not preferred) but

Tiger Direct now has this TV for nineteen hundred smackers (refurb)

I've not had any of the above problems. Good luck guys.
post #192 of 354 Old 11-09-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post

Same - no issues here (knocking on wood).
post #193 of 354 Old 11-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

That's my price target to get this TV. I already have a 55" active TV, but want a bigger screen and this is the TV I am looking at. With 3 kids and a wife who knows little about TVs I want to get a passive TV. Now I just need to find one in Canada!
post #194 of 354 Old 11-12-2011, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Whoa whoa whoa. Vudu 3D now supports this TV!

I don't recall the last time I checked. It may have been a month or two.

Install the Vudu widget, go to Collections tab, the Showcases tab, and scroll down to "Now on Vudu 3D" icon.

34 shows available and 20 of them are big movies. Tron, Pirates, cartoons, etc. The rest are traditional 3D offerings. Documentaries on nature, cars, coastal homes, etc.

Some to rent, some are free at this time (Tron, Tangled), and some are to own. Sidebar, what's with that "own" option? $21.99 so I can log onto to Vudu and watch it over and over again? Weirdly expensive option with Vudu and 3D not being available everywhere.

Anyway, this is a big deal. We'll see how often and how quickly they add new titles.

All in HDX, Vudu's highest quality stream.

2 minute previews are available for all.
post #195 of 354 Old 11-12-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Whoa whoa whoa. Vudu 3D now supports this TV!

I don't recall the last time I checked. It may have been a month or two.

Install the Vudu widget, go to Collections tab, the Showcases tab, and scroll down to "Now on Vudu 3D" icon.

34 shows available and 20 of them are big movies. Tron, Pirates, cartoons, etc. The rest are traditional 3D offerings. Documentaries on nature, cars, coastal homes, etc.

Some to rent, some are free at this time (Tron, Tangled), and some are to own. Sidebar, what's with that "own" option? $21.99 so I can log onto to Vudu and watch it over and over again? Weirdly expensive option with Vudu and 3D not being available everywhere.

Anyway, this is a big deal. We'll see how often and how quickly they add new titles.

All in HDX, Vudu's highest quality stream.

2 minute previews are available for all.

When you say "HDX", does that mean the 3D stream is not compressed? i.e., not 'side-by-side' or 'top/bottom'?
post #196 of 354 Old 11-12-2011, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

post #197 of 354 Old 11-12-2011, 07:34 PM

I searched some of the recent Vudu forums and was able to confirm that Vudu's 3D is streamed in side-by-side format (or sometimes top/bottom). So while the side-by-side image itself is in full HD, the resulting 3D picture would only be 1/2 the resolution.

I found mixed reactions to the end result on different forums. A few comments I read said the PQ was close to BD, but many more also complained of the poor PQ compared to 2D or 3D blu-ray, and said the side-by-side format created more ghosting and artifacts than the same movie on blu-ray.

I'm really curious how Sensio's 3D VOD service will compare when they launch it (supposedly this fall). All of their 3D content will be encoded and streamed in Sensio Hi-Fi 3D format (i.e. visually blu-ray quality). All Vizio 3DTVs are able to decode Sensio format, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on the PQ when it launches.
post #198 of 354 Old 11-12-2011, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny905 View Post

I searched some of the recent Vudu forums and was able to confirm that Vudu's 3D is streamed in side-by-side format (or sometimes top/bottom). So while the side-by-side image itself is in full HD, the resulting 3D picture would only be 1/2 the resolution.

I found mixed reactions to the end result on different forums. A few comments I read said the PQ was close to BD, but many more also complained of the poor PQ compared to 2D or 3D blu-ray, and said the side-by-side format created more ghosting and artifacts than the same movie on blu-ray.

I'm really curious how Sensio's 3D VOD service will compare when they launch it (supposedly this fall). All of their 3D content will be encoded and streamed in Sensio Hi-Fi 3D format (i.e. visually blu-ray quality). All Vizio 3DTVs are able to decode Sensio format, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on the PQ when it launches.

Will do on Sensio.
post #199 of 354 Old 11-14-2011, 03:32 PM

Hi folks. I just wanted to check in and report an anomaly I experienced with my new Vizio beast. It seems it may have froze up somewhat similar to what a computer does. My screen started flickering very rapidly, in a frozen frame. While the picture was frozen and flickering the sound continued normally and progressed along while the picture didn't. Using the Vizio remote I attempted to turn off both the TV and the Dish DVR. No response. My pucker factor was going up as I thought Oh no.

I switched out the remote batteries thinking they had somehow expired causing my remote to die. Fresh batteries no response. It was the same with all remote functions. The volume, channel etc. I attempted to turn off the TV using the Jag wheel. No response. As a last resort I disconnected the power cord. Then I checked the trouble shooting section of the owner's manual but couldn't find my issue listed. So I wondered if it would clear it's self-up by re-booting when I plugged it back in.

When I plugged it in it went through the same first time startup it initially did the first time I plugged it in except it skipped the set up. The DVR did the five minute wait requiring signal and then the TV came on as normal. It has been operating normally since. I just wanted to give a heads up to others who may run across this same issue. I suspect these Smart TV's now have a computer combined in them and as such probably can be expected to crash from time to time. Obviously I'm no tech geek but that's just my thoughts. As stated all is normal now I can stand down.
post #200 of 354 Old 11-14-2011, 03:47 PM

For those looking for a good price on this set, check out Sam's auctions.
post #201 of 354 Old 11-14-2011, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi folks. I just wanted to check in and report an anomaly I experienced with my new Vizio beast. It seems it may have froze up somewhat similar to what a computer does. My screen started flickering very rapidly, in a frozen frame. While the picture was frozen and flickering the sound continued normally and progressed along while the picture didn't. Using the Vizio remote I attempted to turn off both the TV and the Dish DVR. No response. My pucker factor was going up as I thought Oh no.

I switched out the remote batteries thinking they had somehow expired causing my remote to die. Fresh batteries no response. It was the same with all remote functions. The volume, channel etc. I attempted to turn off the TV using the Jag wheel. No response. As a last resort I disconnected the power cord. Then I checked the trouble shooting section of the owner's manual but couldn't find my issue listed. So I wondered if it would clear it's self-up by re-booting when I plugged it back in.

When I plugged it in it went through the same first time startup it initially did the first time I plugged it in except it skipped the set up. The DVR did the five minute wait requiring signal and then the TV came on as normal. It has been operating normally since. I just wanted to give a heads up to others who may run across this same issue. I suspect these Smart TV's now have a computer combined in them and as such probably can be expected to crash from time to time. Obviously I'm no tech geek but that's just my thoughts. As stated all is normal now I can stand down.

yeah, that happens sometimes, when I do split screen and one being OTA has a weak signal, the TV sometimes gets sluggish trying to render 2 images, trying to processes a weak signal, and respond to your command. I also have certain situations where the TV gets confused, loses its sound...then crashes, especially when I try to do some 2D to 3D stuff on a bluray player.
post #202 of 354 Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwang View Post

yeah, that happens sometimes, when I do split screen and one being OTA has a weak signal, the TV sometimes gets sluggish trying to render 2 images, trying to processes a weak signal, and respond to your command. I also have certain situations where the TV gets confused, loses its sound...then crashes, especially when I try to do some 2D to 3D stuff on a bluray player.

Is pulling the plug the right fix? Or is there another better way? Thanks in advance.
post #203 of 354 Old 11-14-2011, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Is pulling the plug the right fix? Or is there another better way? Thanks in advance.

It is.

A good old fashion hard reset. Same thing that DirecTV recommends first if you call tech support. I've had to do it once. Not a biggie.
post #204 of 354 Old 11-15-2011, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeH292 View Post

For those looking for a good price on this set, check out Sam's auctions.

They're ending up about the same price as Tiger D.
post #205 of 354 Old 11-20-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:

I just wanted to post to share my issues with this set. So far Vizio Customer Support has been extremely helpful and I am confident that they will be able to come to a resolution.

I've had my set since the beginning of Sept and had noticed some serious unevenness of the backlighting in particular across the top of the panel.

Whenever there was a light solid image such as blue sky or white background it would appear as a waviness or splotchy discoloration across the top of the image.

Here's an example:

I thought it might dissipate over time but the unevenness has been persistent and is constant through all HDMI inputs..

To get a more controlled look at the problem I generated a solid uniform grey 16x9 aspect ratio JPG in photoshop.

When I displayed this image on the television the unevenness was clearly apparent. You could even see some lesser unevenness across the bottom of the panel as well as scattered darkening across the middle.

Since my local Costco's no longer stock this set I contacted Vizio by e-mail with the photos attached. They initially instructed me to reinitialize the TV back to its default settings. This didn't provide any improvement.

Shortly thereafter I spoke with telephone support who have reviewed the photos and will now send out a replacement TV.

I will post an update once I receive the new set.

What ever happened? I have the same deal. its not horrible but noticeable. Ive been tweaking the picture but ever since i took it out of the box i have had the uneven lighting at the top too. Let me know what they did for you.. Thanks a bunch
post #206 of 354 Old 11-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Well I picked up one this morning from Sam's Club auction. I am really looking forward to seeing what it can do. Can't wait!
post #207 of 354 Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 PM

I picked up this set at the local wally world last week. I love everything about it so far excepting the horrible reflectivity of the glass screen and the non-backlit remote. I have yet to view Blu-Ray 3D content but DirecTV 3D content is exceptional. I thought I would dislike the lowered resolution of passive content as truthfully I can't even stand looking at 720p sets but I am not percieving the passive 3D resolution as lowered even on compressed satellite content. If anything I'm seeing the 3D content as higher resolution. I am able to view 3D content for long periods (hours) with minimal eye fatigue. I forget I have the glasses on and have ended up out doing errands with the glasses still pushed up on my forehead. I would still like to see this set side by side with an active set to compare them directly but I have zero disappointments with the 3D or 2D image quality.

The reflectivity of the screen is another matter entirely. I had to change out my drapes, rearrange my living room, and turn off/do away with my end table lamps in order to even view this TV without seeing horrible reflections in any dark scene that literally killed all viewing pleasure for me. I HATE watching TV in a dark room. I like ambient light. I like to read and do other things while the TV is on. The only permanent solution for me is to angle my TV away from my sitting position and install some can lights to provide lighting away from the screens line of site. I would sacrifice loads of contrast to be able to put my TV wherever I wanted it and light the room as I desire with having to orchestrate this elaborate viewing tableux. I finally made it work but if I had it to do over again I might wait for the next passive set with non-reflective screen of this size and feature set to come down to this price point. Problem is that could be 2 years away...

Now that the aggravation part is over I'm enjoying this TV. But I promise this will be the last glossy TV I ever buy. Period.
post #208 of 354 Old 11-28-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Wally World does have a 90 day return policy. Might consider using it and trying out a Sharp 70" set instead. They have the non glossy screens.

You have to get the top model of the Sharp to retain 3D, but it is available.

I know what you mean about the glossy screens. I could not accommodate one in my viewing area, due to the arrangement of my ambient lighting in the room.

If you keep your current set, you might consider installing behind the screen ambient lighting. It gives the room some light but does not reflect off the screen, as the light source is behind the TV.
post #209 of 354 Old 11-29-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Hello fellow owners. FYI as I bought the $998 65-inch Toshiba at Wally World on Black Friday. It's for computer training at my office, so basically a big monitor. BUT, its picture quality doesn't compare to this Vizio.

Just thought I'd share.
post #210 of 354 Old 11-30-2011, 05:18 AM

Hi everbody,

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize in advance if this isnt the correct thread to ask this, but does anyone know if the vizio 65 is being discontinued? I've pretty much decided that this is the tv I want but can't seem to find this tv at costo, walmart, sam's (non auction) or bj's (want to avoid amazon as well). is it normal for this tv to go out of stock periodically?

thanks for any help!
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Vizio Xvt3d650sv 65 Inch Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page