The Official Vizio 65" Passive XVT3D650SV Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 354 Old 01-30-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, here's the thread for owners of the Vizio 65" 3D TV. Model #XVT3D650SV - which was first seen in the summer of 2010 and started showing up in stores in mid December 2010.

All owners so far seem to agree the 3D is amazing. However, I've gathered that some owners would like help in fine tuning their 2D experience with some customized settings. Any help here, especially if you have it professionally calibrated, would be appreciated.

Other helpful tips and shared experiences are welcome.

I'll start with a few pics, a YouTube video, and a tip on where to get some cheap glasses.

Ready, set, GO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 354 Old 01-30-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Tip: Go to Amazon (this site prefers no retail links) and search "10 pairs RealD glasses". 10 pairs of glasses for 25 bones - yep, you read that right, $2.50 each. Just got them and they work great. They are somewhere in between the two types sets of glasses Vizio gives you with the TV. You may notice in the Product Features it reads "This listing is for 3 pairs of RealD 3D Glasses", but this must be a copy and paste error from the seller as indeed 10 pairs came.

In the photo below: Left - basic Vizio glasses, middle - premium, and the on the right - RealD glasses.

------

And for those who are thinking about hooking up your Xbox360 for some C.O.D. Black Ops in 3D, it looks great: http://youtu.be/o0ptbOKG-y8?hd=1
LL
LL
post #3 of 354 Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am still very satisfied with the 2D.....this is probably not smart of me to share but the movie "Billy Madison" looked really good yesterday in HD 2D...LOL....hopefully someone in this thread will share some good calibration tips in the future, but I am still extremely happy with the purchase....still have not really got the 3D watching going yet so that is exciting...only watched a little bit of Ice Age to this point...lots of exploring to do!!!
post #4 of 354 Old 01-31-2011, 01:15 PM

Have you guys noticed that the the white text in the ESPN News Ticker (the news stream at the bottom) changes to an off white color when it moves horizontally? The only way I found to get it to display a clean white color is to change the color temperature from Normal to Cool.
post #5 of 354 Old 01-31-2011, 03:33 PM

Have any of you guys finalized your PQ settings? Just got word today that my panel is now at the shippers, so I'm crossing my fingers that it'll arrive in Chicago in time for SB (big midwest storm coming may not play nice with my "plan" though....).

Got a Disney WOW disc on the way as well, was hoping I can learn from your trials/tribulations with PQ adjustments before then.

Thanks all
post #6 of 354 Old 01-31-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdshark1 View Post

I am still very satisfied with the 2D.....this is probably not smart of me to share but the movie "Billy Madison" looked really good yesterday in HD 2D...LOL....hopefully someone in this thread will share some good calibration tips in the future, but I am still extremely happy with the purchase....still have not really got the 3D watching going yet so that is exciting...only watched a little bit of Ice Age to this point...lots of exploring to do!!!

Agree on calibration settings. Not because I'm unhappy, but it's always nice to get the most out of a purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemuel View Post

Have you guys noticed that the the white text in the ESPN News Ticker (the news stream at the bottom) changes to an off white color when it moves horizontally? The only way I found to get it to display a clean white color is to change the color temperature from Normal to Cool.

Now that you mention it, I do notice it.

------

What TV feed do you guys have? Cable? Satellite? Kind of wish the Vizio remote controlled the DirecTV box. I love my Harmony One in the home theater. May pick one up eventually.
post #7 of 354 Old 01-31-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post

Tip: Go to Amazon (this site prefers no retail links) and search "10 pairs RealD glasses". 10 pairs of glasses for 25 bones - yep, you read that right, $2.50 each. Just got them and they work great. They are somewhere in between the two types sets of glasses Vizio gives you with the TV. You may notice in the Product Features it reads "This listing is for 3 pairs of RealD 3D Glasses", but this must be a copy and paste error from the seller as indeed 10 pairs came.

In the photo below: Left - basic Vizio glasses, middle - premium, and the on the right - RealD glasses.
------

And for those who are thinking about hooking up your Xbox360 for some C.O.D. Black Ops in 3D, it looks great: http://youtu.be/o0ptbOKG-y8?hd=1

Someone probably went to a theater and grabbed a bunch out of the recycle box. Theaters are going to have to start collecting them. I don't want to pay even more for 3D movies because of you guys.
post #8 of 354 Old 01-31-2011, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

How's everyone think Vudu, Amazon on Demand, and other widgets are performing?

Wife and I watching Winter's Bone in SD via VUDU tonight. It's an Oscar nominee. I figured a movie like this didn't need HD or HDx. I have to say it looks darn good. One pleasant surprise is how fast the movie loaded and played. My Internet is slow tonight at 800mbps and it played instantaneously.
post #9 of 354 Old 01-31-2011, 08:30 PM

800mbps? I doubt that? I am not calling you a fib artist but that is damn fast.
post #10 of 354 Old 01-31-2011, 08:32 PM

Maybe 800kbps?
post #11 of 354 Old 01-31-2011, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDSareKING View Post

Maybe 800kbps?

Right-O. Whoops. Thanks King.
post #12 of 354 Old 02-03-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. I'm in the Midwest, we just got socked with snow and now it's sunny - ie the world is bright. I have this TV in a room with 8 windows + transoms causing a ton of natural light to enter the room. I have it on Vivid setting and am loving it. I know this considered a sucker's setting, but I'm digging it.

Now, I'll brace for impact.
post #13 of 354 Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Ok. I'm in the Midwest, we just got socked with snow and now it's sunny - ie the world is bright. I have this TV in a room with 8 windows + transoms causing a ton of natural light to enter the room. I have it on Vivid setting and am loving it. I know this considered a sucker's setting, but I'm digging it.

Now, I'll brace for impact.

Good to know, same storm is causing the arrival delay of my 65" to after SB in the Chicago area. By adjusting to the canned "Vivid" setting, does this wipe out any custom PQ settings, or are they stored in memory?
post #14 of 354 Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Your TV stores your PQ settings separatly for each Picture Mode. And you can use any picture mode on any input connection. In addition any Picture size option is stored separatly for each resoloution input on each input connection.
Vivid mode is not reccomended since it was designed for store demo systems and it's default settings are designed to make the systems much too bright for home use you can of course set the settings for any other picture mode to match those of the Vivid mode. However to length the life of the backlighting components I would suggest you use another mode for nighttime viewing.
post #15 of 354 Old 02-03-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Nope. Those stay in Custom. The factory options are: Standard, Movie, Game, Vivid, Football, Golf, Basketball, Baseball, Underwater Checkers, and Custom.

Now, there's only one Custom, so this rules out a "day" and "night" Custom settings.

And I agree on Vivid + night = Too much. But if your watching Lord Of The Rings with snow covered ground, a lot of windows, on a sunny day, then it's worth checking out.
post #16 of 354 Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Nope. Those stay in Custom. The factory options are: Standard, Movie, Game, Vivid, Football, Golf, Basketball, Baseball, Underwater Checkers, and Custom.

Now, there's only one Custom, so this rules out a "day" and "night" Custom settings.

And I agree on Vivid + night = Too much. But if your watching Lord Of The Rings with snow covered ground, a lot of windows, on a sunny day, then it's worth checking out.

Underwater checkers??%$&?? Those crazy kids...
post #17 of 354 Old 02-03-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I fully understand that there is only set of settings for each Mode.
What I was suggesting was to use a another mode such as Golf for nighttime settings
post #18 of 354 Old 02-03-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:

My 65" Vizio is finally being delivered tomorrow (nine days after being purchased at samsclub.com). I'll be going over all the good input you've provided on the panel on this and the "announced" thread.
post #19 of 354 Old 02-03-2011, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

I fully understand that there is only set of settings for each Mode.
What I was suggesting was to use a another mode such as Golf for nighttime settings

Oh. I'd say Movie mode.
post #20 of 354 Old 02-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Can anyone tell me if you can turn the overscanning off on this set to get 1:1 pixel mapping? I pored over the manual, but couldn't find anything about turning overscan on and off.

Michael
post #21 of 354 Old 02-05-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Oh. I'd say Movie mode.

Ocon: I got my xvt3d650sv yesterday and mounted and set it up today. I have no complaints about the 2D and the 3D is great. The reflectivity is a pain but I can live with it.

I can't get my DirecTV remote to turn the set on and off properly with any of the codes provided on screen or on DirecTV.com. Were you able to get yours to work and, if so, can you recall the code? Thanks.
post #22 of 354 Old 02-05-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some Vizio codes. I made a note of which one worked.

11758 (65-incher)
post #23 of 354 Old 02-05-2011, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Is anyone else being wow-ed by the 2D HD on TNTHD? This is the channel I turned to the first night I hooked up the TV and was pretty impressed with Kill Bill.

I'm still digging it. The Dark Night looks darn good tonight.
post #24 of 354 Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:

Here are some Vizio codes. I made a note of which one worked.

11758 (65-incher)

What code worked to allow the Vizio remote to control the DirecTV box?[/quote]

No code at all - just went through the setup with the Vizio already connected to my network (hardwired). Setup up asked me what my source was and I selected DirecTV. Never entered any code. My DirecTV box is an HR21/700 (DVR). Do you have an older DirecTV box? All DirecTV functions are now controllable with the Vizio remote. I didn't even realize it until I turned off the Vizio with the Vizio remote and the DirecTV box shut off as well. The DirecTV remote will control the Vizio audio but won't turn it on. When I press "on" on the DirecTV remote it shuts off the Vizio.
post #25 of 354 Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 PM

I got my Vizio yesterday, set it up and have been watching it all afternoon and evening today. Can't see any scan lines in 3D unless I'm about 3 or 4 feet away. My typical viewing distance is 8 - 9 feet.
I've been following this thread since late December and much has been filled with misinformation from active and/or plasma fans. I'm an electrical engineer and am very pleased with both the 2D and 3D performance of the set. The only thing that I don't like is the reflectivity of the screen (I have double french doors to my patio directly opposite the panel and plan to put some blackout drapes over them for daytime viewing). The 3D effect is very good and the glasses lightweight and comfortable. Brightness is better than theater ReadD and much brighter than active. Watching 3D content for about 2 1/2 hours caused no eyestrain.
I replaced a three-year old 52" Toshiba 52HL167 LCD with this panel and find the PQ to be just as good as the Toshiba. If you're interested in this set, check out all the comments by OconRecon on this thread. He's provided the most valid commentary on this unit.
I went through the set up with the Vizio already connected to the internet (ethernet, not WiFi) and the Vizio remote worked with my DirecTV DVR (HR21/700) without entering any codes. I could not get the DirecTV remote to turn the Vizio on (although the audio works) so I'm using the Vizio remote to control both. All DirecTV functions (including DVR) are controllable with the Vizio remote except for the 30 second quick rewind function.
My priority requirements were:
1. Size
2. 3D PQ, comfort and ease of use.
3. 2D PQ.
4. Cost.
Fits the bill. I'm throwing away the box. For me this panel is a keeper
post #26 of 354 Old 02-05-2011, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by miroad View Post

I've been following this thread since late December and much has been filled with misinformation from active and/or plasma fans

So I cant help asking,,, is that comment directed towards me ?

If so, what was the mis-information ?

Cheers
Davyo
post #27 of 354 Old 02-06-2011, 08:02 AM

[quote=OconRecon;19957871]Is anyone else being wow-ed by the 2D HD on TNTHD? This is the channel I turned to the first night I hooked up the TV and was pretty impressed with Kill Bill.

I'm still digging it. The Dark Night looks darn good tonight.[/QUOTE

TNT looks great I agree, the new Saw movie looked weird on Blu Ray last night but all other blu rays have been great. Not sure if it is the way it was produced or what.
post #28 of 354 Old 02-06-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

So I cant help asking,,, is that comment directed towards me ?

If so, what was the mis-information ?

Cheers
Davyo

No
post #29 of 354 Old 02-07-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Is anyone else being wow-ed by the 2D HD on TNTHD? This is the channel I turned to the first night I hooked up the TV and was pretty impressed with Kill Bill.

I'm still digging it. The Dark Night looks darn good tonight.

Got my panel on Saturday night (finally) and agree that Dark Knight on TNT looked pretty sweet. If anyone wants to see a quick reminder of why the 3D is so good on this set with the kiddies around check out the first 5 mins of "Monsters vs. Aliens". Comcast has it on demand for free for HBO subscribers.

After the Super Bowl, we had a room of 7 watching. Pretty funny to see all 7 people duck their heads to the side during the scene where a guy is playing with one of those old "paddleball on a string" toys and the ball jumps out at the screen.
post #30 of 354 Old 02-08-2011, 09:48 PM

How about some photos of this set.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Vizio Xvt3d650sv 65 Inch Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page