Please help with setting up a 3d display with 3d-xl. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-04-2011, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm waiting for the 3d-xl to be released in the U.S. Right now i have the Optoma hd66 and Sony SS370 surround sound. I read that the SS370 doesn't have 3d audio. Is there some kind of converter i could buy for it to make it 3d? Also are there any other special cables i'll need to be able to play 360 and ps3 games in 3d and ps3 3d blu rays?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
There's really no converter to 'make' a receiver support hdmi 1.4. There are workarounds to get things working, but I believe you're probably better off just replacing the receiver. 3d-ready receivers can be had for under $200 (sony vsx-520-k, onkyo tx-sr308 for a couple starting examples I'm aware of - there are probably several more).

Or you could simply use an hdmi switch and connect to your amp with other types of audio cables - for example optical output from your PS3, spdif from your htpc if you have one, that kind of thing. It's a bit more of a pain to hook up, switching gets more complicated, and the audio modes aren't quite as nice, but it would be a solution.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-04-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiancecp View Post

There's really no converter to 'make' a receiver support hdmi 1.4. There are workarounds to get things working, but I believe you're probably better off just replacing the receiver. 3d-ready receivers can be had for under $200 (sony vsx-520-k, onkyo tx-sr308 for a couple starting examples I'm aware of - there are probably several more).

Or you could simply use an hdmi switch and connect to your amp with other types of audio cables - for example optical output from your PS3, spdif from your htpc if you have one, that kind of thing. It's a bit more of a pain to hook up, switching gets more complicated, and the audio modes aren't quite as nice, but it would be a solution.

Is there any way you could show me exactly what i need on Amazon to do the workaround? I don't really want to have to spend an extra $200. I'm not too concerned about the sound quality. Would i be able to use the sound from the projector's built-in speakers?
post #4 of 8 Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Well, for an absolute minimalist approach, you could use this:

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Switch-Sw...6883218&sr=8-1

So all your devices would send video through hdmi to this, then output to the 3dxl box, then to the projector... But no audio.

Audio, then, would have to connect from your devices to the amp by some other means - for example a ps3 would connect via optical cable, and an htpc would connect to your sound card or spdif output.

The probblem is, when you want to change sources you get to change the receiver *and* the hdmi switch to the source you want.

but I don't think there's a good way around that without getting a receiver with 1.4 support.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-04-2011, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

ok. thanks.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-06-2011, 11:46 PM

Why don't you just run HDMI directly from 3D-XL to projector and run Optical (Toslink) cable from source (bluray player or whatever you are using) directly to receiver.. That cable costs like $10
post #7 of 8 Old 02-07-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would assume you have some sort of digital audio input onm this HTIB system?

If so, your good to go... It has 3D sound, maybe not what they call HD sound though, but it will work fine. As stated above hook up by optical to the audio system and hdmi to the display.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-07-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The specs for the 3D-XL said "audio supported", so maybe just maybe they move the HDMI 1.4 audio signal back to the place where it is put in HDMI 1.3. At least, wait for the 3D-XL to be in your hands before you spend money on a new receiver or switch.

And if not, then yes we can all send audio through the digital audio cable and get Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 to our old receivers.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page