Disappointment with Samsung 3D LED TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-06-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A while back, when the special offer was running, I picked up a Samsung 40UC7000, with the intent of using it for viewing 3D video recorded by myself. I had purchased it in conjunction with a Panasonic SDT750 3D camcorder, which I plan on building an underwater housing for and taking it with me on dives.

When I was shopping for 3D TVs, I was only able to look at Sony and Samsung sets, and the Samsung's 3D video quality seemed far superior to Sony's. That said, the TV and accompanying Samsung BD player (BD-C5900) have been fairly disappointing.

1) The TV apps are an interesting idea, but if they don't work, it's hardly worthwhile. The Netflix app for the TV has, to my knowledge, never worked and still does not.
2) The BD player cannot play any of the 3D disks produced using the Panasonic 3D camcorder and HDWriter. The player simply locks up, and the only recourse is to power the player off. I've tried with both DVD and BD media and the result is exactly the same.
3) I attempted to contact Samsung support on the 3D playback and player lock-up issue, and have yet to receive any sort of response (it's been several months now). The 3D content isn't the only content that causes the player to lock up either. Currently the only way I can view my own 3D content back is by connecting the camcorder to the TV via HDMI.
4) The TV (and possibly the BD player as well) generates an alarming amount of radio frequency interference. Enough that I began to wonder how the whole FCC RFI regulation was specified and enforced. See what I mean:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-06-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I use a Samsung 3D LCD as my main computer monitor in a room packed full of electronics and experience no interference of any kind.
I also own the same 3D camcorder as you in addition to some of my own creation.
I would suggest that you trash the BluRay player and use a PC as I do.
Have you read this thread?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1312538

Did IQ's suddenly drop sharply while I was away?
I enjoy 3D in spite of HDMI 1.4!
Full screen only 3D doesn't cut it!
post #3 of 5 Old 02-13-2011, 09:42 AM

Liked: 17
The worst are full local dimming as there are thousands of LEDs switching at nanosecond rates.

I've commented on Samsung LEDs several times over the years, as the sound quality always improves with plasma and also my new Mitsubishi 4000 DLP front projector.

But its like taking to the wind, as most consumers are clueless when it comes to RFI.
However my Toshiba full LED is not nearly so bad in degrading sound quality.

Further I've resorted to fighting this analog issue by keeping the audio signal all-digital until the receivers amplifier output stage. There is one remarkable $300 receiver at BB, that consumers are (once again) clueless about.

Thanks for sharing!
post #4 of 5 Old 02-21-2011, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post

I use a Samsung 3D LCD as my main computer monitor in a room packed full of electronics and experience no interference of any kind.
I also own the same 3D camcorder as you in addition to some of my own creation.
I would suggest that you trash the BluRay player and use a PC as I do.
Have you read this thread?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1312538

Unless the electronics in question are FM radio receivers, it seems unlikely that you'll notice anything wrong.

The BD player was free, and I don't have a particularly compelling reason to set up a media center. In fact, I can play back 3D DVDs and BDs fine from the playstation 3 that I have, with only the minor inconvenience of having to manually switch to 3D mode. The PS3 hasn't crashed, in any case. The 3D setup is completely secondary to my main set, which is an older 60" sony RP "XRD" (aka LCOS).

Yes, I saw your thread before I made my post. I'm glad you're happy with your purchase, but your level of satisfaction doesn't have any bearing on mine.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-21-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I only see one complaint about the TV performance. And that has to do with it's content streaming or lack there of?

I'm not sure that radio is an official test that would inidcate the interference is above standards?

Samsung is so so on Firmware updates, they may indeed fix the streaming issue at some point.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page