Saw LG passive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 02-25-2011, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does excellent pop out but the picture looks totally unrealistic, the reduction in resolution definitely hurts the realism, especially if one is close enough to see the 3D interlacing lines. Colors also were glowing but maybe adjustment would fix that. I thought eye strain would be eliminated with the passive but it is still there. One's eyes/brain has to work hard to see the images properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-26-2011, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Does excellent pop out but the picture looks totally unrealistic, the reduction in resolution definitely hurts the realism, especially if one is close enough to see the 3D interlacing lines. Colors also were glowing but maybe adjustment would fix that. I thought eye strain would be eliminated with the passive but it is still there. One's eyes/brain has to work hard to see the images properly.

Do you know if the LG was set-up correctly or any other factors that could have made the set not look good to you ?

I was at this last CES and spent quite a bit of time watching the passive 3D LG's and was pretty impressed with what I saw.

Cheers
Davyo
post #3 of 20 Old 02-26-2011, 10:05 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Yes,
the interlacing kills the discreet specular effects on all textures.
The eye strain experienced could have being due to defective 3D content or excessive parallax for your viewing distance. Usually you should back off your viewing position until it is comfortable to view the 3D content.

Mathew Orman
post #4 of 20 Old 02-26-2011, 12:35 PM

I prefer the passive 3D, no flicker, light glasses and no crosstalk. Did not see an issue with the lower resolution.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPMERIDIAN
I prefer the passive 3D, no flicker, light glasses and no crosstalk. Did not see an issue with the lower resolution.
Some people don't have an issue with low res. My tv in the bedroom is on regular def and it's ok. But when I watch hd I can see the difference. So, trust me, you maybe "ok" with the half res. But if you knew what you were missing you wouldn't be. Try a side by side at the store.

Also where as passive does have the nice light glasses with no flicker, I really wish everyone would stop talking about it like it is a massive advantage. The first gen active glasses sucked yes, they were heavy and you had to hold them up to watch. The newer ones are fine though. Don't notice they are there. And the fact is that the vast majority of active users don't see the flicker. And eye strain is about the same.

Finally, passive has LESS crosstalk when compared to an led. However saying that there is no crosstalk is false. Passive does have crosstalk and has been said to be the same, maybe slightly worse than a plasma.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-28-2011, 10:18 AM

Who has the passive LG on display?
I tested and liked Vizios passive 3d tv. The LG seemed to have more options so I decided on waiting till I could see it in person.

I plan to use this as a cheap option, VIP-Displayer http://www.3d-vip.com/
This should work perfect for my older DLP and hold me over until I decide.

The VIP-Displayer should be able to convert both the LG and Vizio or any other passive 3d tv into a active display tv if needed.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 AM

Does anyone have any links to model info (sizes?) and/or pricing info?
post #8 of 20 Old 03-01-2011, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Saw it at Fry's.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-03-2011, 04:32 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slirp View Post

Does anyone have any links to model info (sizes?) and/or pricing info?

http://hdguru.com/lgs-2011-lcdled-hd...193/#more-4193
post #10 of 20 Old 03-04-2011, 06:59 AM

How is the 2D quality? My main concern is the fpr diminishing the 2d clarity. I'm almost sold on the 47lw5600. Will likely wait till vizio releases their lower cost passive lineup to decide.
post #11 of 20 Old 03-04-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks! That was perfect. Now I just have to wait on some reviews for the 47LW6500. And like the poster above I'd like to see Vizio's smaller units to compare against. Seems to me though that Vizio isn't in any hurry to get the smaller sets out.
post #12 of 20 Old 03-05-2011, 05:56 AM

Vizio is the company to watch. They are releasing over 20 passive 3dtvs this year. They may have one under $300! I'm guessing its going to be small, 720p, and run at 60hz, but with passive tech they won't have to worry about cross talk and flicker just limited by 720i per eye which if it were 32 inchs or less it won't matter much. I wouldn't want to get less than 40 inches or else the 3d effect would be too diminished.

I'm concerned vizio will not do 2d to 3D conversion on any of their sets. I want them in the market to drive prices down. Right now with the recently released lw series they are the only passive tv company with a tv under $2000.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-05-2011, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not as bad now that some manufactures are including the conversion on the Blu-ray player.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-05-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocke86 View Post

Vizio is the company to watch. They are releasing over 20 passive 3dtvs this year. They may have one under $300! I'm guessing its going to be small, 720p, and run at 60hz, but with passive tech they won't have to worry about cross talk and flicker just limited by 720i per eye which if it were 32 inchs or less it won't matter much. I wouldn't want to get less than 40 inches or else the 3d effect would be too diminished.

I'm concerned vizio will not do 2d to 3D conversion on any of their sets. I want them in the market to drive prices down. Right now with the recently released lw series they are the only passive tv company with a tv under $2000.

But when will the Vizios be available. I've been waiting for a 55" set with good 2D and 3D and a fully functioning web browser (matt screen would be nice but I shouldn't be greedy). Looks like the LG LW6500 will be available soon. I emailed Vizio two days ago to find out about availability of the XVT3D556SP but they had no info. Vizio needs to get a move on. I'm tired of waiting. If the LG is available first, and gets reasonable reviews, I'll go with it. Even if it is a bit more expensive.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-05-2011, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocke86 View Post

How is the 2D quality? My main concern is the fpr diminishing the 2d clarity. I'm almost sold on the 47lw5600. Will likely wait till vizio releases their lower cost passive lineup to decide.

Why would you want to watch 2D? I bought the 47" and watch everything converted. It is excellent, only downside is the interlacing lines if you sit too close. I've found the 3D is better if one sits at the maximum suggested viewing distance or more, interlacing lines then disappear also. As far as 2D, there are no interlacing lines.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-06-2011, 03:19 AM

How is the web browser. I'm interested in how it might compare to the Google TV feature the new Vizios will have.
post #17 of 20 Old 03-06-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:

Why would you want to watch 2D? I bought the 47" and watch everything converted. It is excellent, only downside is the interlacing lines if you sit too close. I've found the 3D is better if one sits at the maximum suggested viewing distance or more, interlacing lines then disappear also. As far as 2D, there are no interlacing lines.

So you have the LG? Could you put your set into game mode and see if Local Dimming options are disabled? Thanks.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-06-2011, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Browser says "coming soon".
post #19 of 20 Old 03-06-2011, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"Local Dimming" not available in game mode.
post #20 of 20 Old 03-07-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:

"Local Dimming" not available in game mode.

Thanks for the info.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page