LG XXPZ550 - 3D 1080P Plasma TV's with Netcast - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 285 Old 03-24-2011, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure about the ARC, but I just pulled the trigger on this. Very excited now to order a couple more glasses from Frys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 285 Old 03-24-2011, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone try bending the frames on the glasses to fit more comfortably?
I'm hoping for some tips before I try....
post #93 of 285 Old 03-24-2011, 04:30 PM

I've posted this elsewhere ... but thought I would contribute my personal review:

Quote:
Over the years, I've done reviews and have studied prior to purchasing. I did no different on this LG 60PZ550. I looked at nearly all brands of PLASMA TVs and finally fell into the LG realm. My first thought was to get the biggest/best, then I started looking at the actual numbers. What was my criteria?
  1. Screen Size: 60" ... but, it had to be no more than 34" in height.
  2. 3D: this isn't really my criteria, I inherited it from my kids.
  3. Thickness: I don't want a very thick or heavy TV
  4. Plasma: Sorry, I've owned and viewed LED/LCDs v. Plasma - for sheer 1080p experience, my perception is that Plasma always looks better.

So, going through the brands, I found only LG to fit my criteria. The most important was #1, if it doesn't fit where I need it to fit, all the bells/whistles won't matter. I could give a hoot about 3D, but my kids insisted for their experience. We went to the big box stores and I will admit, it does look cool. I do not have the glasses yet, they are on their way (As the first reviewer mentioned, the 250's are for this TV). Thickness, holy smokes, who wants those behemoths we had a few years ago. This is thin and fairly lightweight. Beautifully done. OK, then finally, the Plasma v. LED/LCD debate. It will go on/on/on.. it's a matter of perception. Technically, the Plasmas have the edge; however, LED/LCDs are catching up. My personal perception is that Plasmas look MUCH better than LED/LCD. Your mileage may vary.

This TV is stacked up against the big 2 - PZ950 and PZ750 - whats missing from the 550? THX (yea right); TruBlack Filter (err, not sure what that is); SmartTV (more apps on the TV I'll never use because my 3D Bluray player has them); Magic Motion Remote (great, another remote that I have to point "just right" to do the menus ... plus, I already have a remote that turns it on and off) ... hmm ... not really seeing why I would pay a premium for those features. All else is equal.

So, yes, would I recommend? **ABSOLUTELY** What don't I like about it? Nothing, I love it; however, something that might irritate people is the very reflective surface. It's like a mirror; however, properly positioned (I have a tilt mount), it eliminates my the irritant factor. I've had it with lights on and off and it's beautiful. Really, I am not using this TV to it's true potential with all the stuff on it. I don't use sound (it's connected to an HDMI receiver), I don't tune with it (U-Verse customer), I have 2 cables going to it: power and HDMI (high speed recommended ... or ... incorrectly labeled HDMI 1.4a). I don't even use the internet portion. I use it as a HUGE monitor for all the stuff I do (U-Verse, Wii, PS3, Bluray) ... and now 3D.
One thing I'd like to add - I think this is a womans phenomenon (2 daughters and wife) - I had a 52" 2006 Sharpe LCD. I moved it to the basement and put the new PZ550 in it's place. THEY ... HAD ... NO ... CLUE!! They didn't even know the new TV was up there until my 7yr old said it looks shiney.

Uhhhggg...

Oh, I did the Picture Wizard on my old(er) 50PK550 and just did the Picture Wizard on the 60PZ550. I highly recommend that step as part of your "Plug-n-Play". I'm also of the school that todays Plasmas do not need burn-in. YMMV

No Bling
post #94 of 285 Old 03-24-2011, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
any one know how to make the IR Blaster option work?
Ubaldo
post #95 of 285 Old 03-25-2011, 07:54 PM

Liked: 12
Happy to report there's no issues with displaying DirecTV 3D Channels. Some other manufacturers do have display issues since DirecTV's 3D doesn't meet 3D HDMI specs.
post #96 of 285 Old 03-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent View Post

I've posted this elsewhere ... but thought I would contribute my personal review:

One thing I'd like to add - I think this is a womans phenomenon (2 daughters and wife) - I had a 52" 2006 Sharpe LCD. I moved it to the basement and put the new PZ550 in it's place. THEY ... HAD ... NO ... CLUE!! They didn't even know the new TV was up there until my 7yr old said it looks shiney.

Uhhhggg...

Oh, I did the Picture Wizard on my old(er) 50PK550 and just did the Picture Wizard on the 60PZ550. I highly recommend that step as part of your "Plug-n-Play". I'm also of the school that todays Plasmas do not need burn-in. YMMV

how far is ur tv when u watch it?
post #97 of 285 Old 03-26-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewer View Post

how far is ur tv when u watch it?

If I had to guess, between 10-12ft.

No Bling
post #98 of 285 Old 03-26-2011, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post

Happy to report there's no issues with displaying DirecTV 3D Channels. Some other manufacturers do have display issues since DirecTV's 3D doesn't meet 3D HDMI specs.

I've enjoyed the DirectV 3D channels. I was actually looking online for 3D Blurays and was surprised to find some of the same content on DirecTV and have had fun watching it with my kids.

I saw a NBA game advertised as coming soon but couldn't find it paging ahead in the guide. Anyone know how soon or often basketball is on?

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
post #99 of 285 Old 03-27-2011, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
First post on AVS Forum . . .

I picked up a 60PZ550 to replace my old Panasonic TH-58PZ700. The Panny developed a defective section of pixels and needed to go.

Anyhow, I love the aesthetics of the LG; the thin bezel is just fantastic. It is also 50% lighter than the "smaller" TV it replaced. It is a bit more glossy/reflective compared to the old Panny but I have excellent light control with some motorized blackout shades at the rear of the room. Picture quality is on par if not slightly better than the Panasonic it replaced. Note: The main viewing position is 13-ft from the screen.

My system includes:
  • Onkyo TX-NR905 Reciever (HDMI 1.3 4-in, 1-out)
  • Onkyo DV-BD606 Blu-ray Player
  • Playstation 3
  • Xbox 360
  • Comcast DVR (Motorola DCX3400)
With the old Panasonic hooked up, the above components all worked together in perfect harmony. 4 HDMI cables into the receiver, one HDMI cable out to the TV. Clean and simple.

With the new LG hooked up, the following occurred:
  • Comcast playback and Onkyo Blu-ray playback are flawless. Both run though the receiver with no issues.
  • Xbox 360 playback, well, didn't work. Something about the HDMI handshake running through the receiver resulted in no video playback. I tried various HDMI settings on both the Xbox and the receiver with no luck. I had to resort to Component/Optical for the Xbox.
  • PS3 played fine through the receiver but it wouldn't playback in 3D. I assume it never recognized TV when running through the receiver. I needed to run a dedicated HDMI to the TV and revert to Optical for Audio.
I have two pair of AG-S250 3D glasses. They look great, aren't too heavy and seem to have great battery life.

However, the biggest problems with the glasses are:
  1. They emit a buzzing sound on the right side. VERY annoying.
  2. One pair of glasses continues to lose sync while the other doesn't.
The quality of 3D playback isn't great in games like Killzone 3 Demo on the PS3. I get a lot of ghosting. Playback of 3D movies (watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs last night) is better but you can still notice double images in the foreground every once and a while. If anyone has some tips to remedy I would love the feedback.

The Picture Wizard was handy out of the box to get the basics set up. I'll be using my DVE Blu-ray to calibrate/tweak the TV settings further later this week.

That's it for now. I'll upload some photos later in the week.
post #100 of 285 Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlubricity View Post

First post on AVS Forum . . .

I picked up a 60PZ550 to replace my old Pannasonic TH-58PZ700. The Panny developed a defective section of pixels and needed to go.

Anyhow, I love the aesthetics of the LG; the thin bezel is just fantastic. It is also 50% lighter than the "smaller" TV it replaced. It is a bit more glossy/reflective compared to the old Panny but I have excellent light control with some motorized blackout shades at the rear of the room. Picture quality is on par if not slightly better than the Panasonic it replaced. Note: The main viewing position is 13-ft from the screen.

My system includes:
  • Onkyo TX-NR905 Reciever (HDMI 1.3 4-in, 1-out)
  • Onkyo DV-BD606 Blu-ray Player
  • Playstation 3
  • Xbox 360
  • Comcast DVR (Motorola DCX3400)
With the old Panasonic hooked up, the above components all worked together in perfect harmony. 4 HDMI cables into the receiver, one HDMI cable out to the TV. Clean and simple.

With the new LG hooked up, the following occurred:
  • Comcast playback and Onkyo Blu-ray playback are flawless. Both run though the receiver with no issues.
  • Xbox 360 playback, well, didn't work. Something about the HDMI handshake running through the receiver resulted in no video playback. I tried various HDMI settings on both the Xbox and the receiver with no luck. I had to resort to Component/Optical for the Xbox.
  • PS3 played fine through the receiver but it wouldn't playback in 3D. I assume it never recognized TV when running through the receiver. I needed to run a dedicated HDMI to the TV and revert to Optical for Audio.
I have two pair of AG-S250 3D glasses. They look great, aren't too heavy and seem to have great battery life.

However, the biggest problems with the glasses are:
  1. They emit a buzzing sound on the right side. VERY annoying.
  2. One pair of glasses continues to lose sync while the other doesn't.
The quality of 3D playback isn't great in games like Killzone 3 Demo on the PS3. I get a lot of ghosting. Playback of 3D movies (watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs last night) is better but you can still notice double images in the foreground every once and a while. If anyone has some tips to remedy I would love the feedback.

The Picture Wizard was handy out of the box to get the basics set up. I'll be using my DVE Blu-ray to calibrate/tweak the TV settings further later this week.

That's it or now. I'll upload some photos later in the week.

My experience with 3D has been similar. I watched Resident Evil 3D and was not impressed. Lots of ghosting, many disconnects and very loud and annoying buzzing. I returned my fist pair of 250's thinking they were broken.

The whole 3D thing is making me lose faith. Kind of annoying really.
post #101 of 285 Old 03-27-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robert View Post

I saw a NBA game advertised as coming soon but couldn't find it paging ahead in the guide. Anyone know how soon or often basketball is on?

John

April Fools Day!
post #102 of 285 Old 03-27-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:

[*]PS3 played fine through the receiver but it wouldn't playback in 3D. I assume it never recognized TV when running through the receiver. I needed to run a dedicated HDMI to the TV and revert to Optical for Audio.

Great first post!

The Onkyo 905 won't let the PS3 acknowledge the TV as being 3D compliant, so you're right there... Same here with my Onkyo 876.

I'm in the "3D is a fad" boat, but for $150 bucks over the price of a 60pk550 (including 2 sets of glasses), purchasing the 60pz550 seemed like a no-brainer...

That was until I saw the 60pk550 go on sale this week for $1100. Ah well.
post #103 of 285 Old 03-27-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Great first post!

The Onkyo 905 won't let the PS3 acknowledge the TV as being 3D compliant, so you're right there... Same here with my Onkyo 876.

I'm in the "3D is a fad" boat, but for $150 bucks over the price of a 60pk550 (including 2 sets of glasses), purchasing the 60pz550 seemed like a no-brainer...

That was until I saw the 60pk550 go on sale this week for $1100. Ah well.

Thanks.

Hoping if I upgrade to an Onkyo TX-NR5008 (HDMI 1.4a) the Xbox and PS3 w/ 3D will pass through fine.

Saw the same sale on the PK550 today. I probably would have gone that route if that price was out there 10-days ago.
post #104 of 285 Old 03-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks.

Hoping if I upgrade to an Onkyo TX-NR5008 (HDMI 1.4a) the Xbox and PS3 w/ 3D will pass through fine.

Saw the same sale on the PK550 today. I probably would have gone that route if that price was out there 10-days ago.

That should fix the problem. I use a TX-SR608 and the PS3 have no problem seeing the PZ550 as a 3D set. I also watch RE:A 3D and I don't see any problem but I'm only done with the initial Tokyo part of the movie.
post #105 of 285 Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz33 View Post

That should fix the problem. I use a TX-SR608 and the PS3 have no problem seeing the PZ550 as a 3D set. I also watch RE:A 3D and I don't see any problem but I'm only done with the initial Tokyo part of the movie.

Thanks. I hope it solves the Xbox issues as well.
post #106 of 285 Old 03-28-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Thanks. I hope it solves the Xbox issues as well.

There's a setting in the xbox that should remedy your issue. Go to Console -> Display -> HDMI Color settings and try RGB instead of Auto. Another individual in this thread and a similar issue with their PS3. Should work.

Also, moving to a 1.4 compliant receiver like you've mentioned will fix your 3d issues. If your tired of the heat issue with your Onkyo (as I am... i'd like to actually stack something on top of mine) you might check out Outlaw's upcoming offering or Anthem in the same price range, but they lack some of the network features.
post #107 of 285 Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:

There's a setting in the xbox that should remedy your issue. Go to Console -> Display -> HDMI Color settings and try RGB instead of Auto. Another individual in this thread and a similar issue with their PS3. Should work . . . you might check out Outlaw's upcoming offering or Anthem in the same price range, but they lack some of the network features.

I've tried using the RGB setting (and about every other combination of settings) with the Xbox and it did not remedy the situation.

I'm also considering the Marantz SR7005 but still leaning towards the Onkyo.
post #108 of 285 Old 03-28-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree that the Onkyo 608 is a no brainer. $300 and no handshake issues. Mine also doesn't seem like it runs that warm...

John

post #109 of 285 Old 03-28-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:

I've tried using the RGB setting (and about every other combination of settings) with the Xbox and it did not remedy the situation.

Worth a shot. No issues with an Onk 876 here for onlookers.
post #110 of 285 Old 03-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Deal alert.

A deal have came thru from BuyDig on the 60PZ550 with 2 pair glasses at a similar saving ratio as the Fry's deal a week ago. You need to enter the coupon code "60PZ550KIT" at checkout to see the final price.

Strangely, Amazon prices on both have actually gone up in the last week. Don't know what's going on, but I ordered one from BuyDig anyway. Now the decision is if I should keep both (thus having 4 pair of glasses) or return the Fry's one.
post #111 of 285 Old 03-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm also considering the Marantz SR7005 but still leaning towards the Onkyo.

You mentioned using a tilt mount to get away from the reflection, I have a Window directly behind my viewing position and the reflection is quite noticeable in daytime (at least till I get some darker curtains). But was wondering how much did you have to tilt the screen and how much improvement did it offer. TIA
post #112 of 285 Old 03-28-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:

You mentioned using a tilt mount to get away from the reflection, I have a Window directly behind my viewing position and the reflection is quite noticeable in daytime (at least till I get some darker curtains). But was wondering how much did you have to tilt the screen and how much improvement did it offer. TIA

No tilt mount for me. I have it mounted on a Peerless SF660 Universal Fixed Low-Profile Wall Mount.

Directly behind my viewing position are 16-foot black blackout drapes on a motorized rod. This creates a giant black backdrop behind me that generates very little glare when viewing the TV directly.
post #113 of 285 Old 03-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No tilt mount for me. I have it mounted on a Peerless SF660 Universal Fixed Low-Profile Wall Mount.

Directly behind my viewing position are 16-foot black blackout drapes on a motorized rod. This creates a giant black backdrop behind me that generates very little glare when viewing the TV directly.

Oops, must have gotten my wire crossed. I think that was on the amazon review above yours. Your solution also sound interesting. Did you built it yourself or is this something you can get off the shelf?
post #114 of 285 Old 03-28-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:

Oops, must have gotten my wire crossed. I think that was on the amazon review above yours. Your solution also sound interesting. Did you built it yourself or is this something you can get off the shelf?

I bought the Add-a-Motor 2000 motorized rod and some custom tailored blackout drapes online. Install was straightforward and it turned out to be a great solution. It is also very cool opening/closing them with the remote control.

I need to take some photos of the whole system. I'm waiting on my new KEF speakers.
post #115 of 285 Old 03-29-2011, 08:50 AM

Photos would be nice, I'd really like to see that. Thanks
post #116 of 285 Old 03-29-2011, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I need to take some photos of the whole system. I'm waiting on my new KEF speakers.

Which KEF's? I'm using Q900's in my dedicated HT and am impressed, especially given the price....

John

post #117 of 285 Old 03-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I bought the Add-a-Motor 2000 motorized rod and some custom tailored blackout drapes online. Install was straightforward and it turned out to be a great solution. It is also very cool opening/closing them with the remote control.

Love KEF, Too bad my pairs of 105.2 and 104.2 are humming along just fine after all these years and I have no excuse to get new ones ;-)
post #118 of 285 Old 03-29-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robert View Post

Which KEF's? I'm using Q900's in my dedicated HT and am impressed, especially given the price....

John

Just a basic 7.1 system.

2 x Q700
1 x Q200c
2 x Q800ds
2 x Q100

I've got a Velodyne DPS-12 handling LFE.
post #119 of 285 Old 03-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just a basic 7.1 system.

2 x Q700
1 x Q200c
2 x Q800ds
2 x Q100

I've got a Velodyne DPS-12 handling LFE.

you going with side surround or vertical? I'm toying with the idea of going vertical surround but still deciding what to use and how I'm going to mount the high speakers.
post #120 of 285 Old 03-29-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:

you going with side surround or vertical? I'm toying with the idea of going vertical surround but still deciding what to use and how I'm going to mount the high speakers.

I've got a nice set of stands that wrap the seating position now at just above ear height. Going to run the Dipoles (Q800ds) for surrounds and Bookshelves (Q100) for backs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page