LG XXPZ550 - 3D 1080P Plasma TV's with Netcast - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 285 Old 04-27-2011, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have this plasma for several months now and love it.
I was going to mount an led light system behind the tv for added effect.
When I touched the top rear vents at the top of the tv I found that they are EXTREMELY HOT! Is this normal? Im afraid the plastic led tubes would melt, thats how hot they are.
JH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 285 Old 04-28-2011, 11:21 AM

oh HERE is where this thread is. I kept waiting in Plasma forum, but I guess the 3D aspect is more determinate than the plasma aspect.

Mine gets hot too. A little worrisome, as I have a Western Digital My book LIve behind the tv, and if it gets too hot back there it's gonna lower the life of that drive.
post #183 of 285 Old 05-07-2011, 08:11 PM

Has anyone been able to get the HDMI CEC to work with a Pioneer receiver?

Michael
post #184 of 285 Old 05-13-2011, 08:43 PM

Liked: 12
Anyone had any quality issues so far?

2 months with it here, no complaints.
post #185 of 285 Old 05-14-2011, 03:11 AM

I've had mine for about a month. No issues yet, but I haven't really explored all the features that this set offers.
post #186 of 285 Old 05-14-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post

Bad news for all of us owners. Chad B is reporting poor black levels (he's not released them yet) on the XXpz550's. I ran calibration with my i1LT in conjuction with HCRF this weekend and ran into the same thing (50% worse than a XXpk550). Color levels were very accurate with little work, so some bright side. Out of the box wasn't too bad either.

can someone post a link to where Chad B says this? i'd like to read exactly what he said.

Also, can anyone speak to if there's any line bleed on these pz550s? i had a pk550 and the line bleed was outrageous.
post #187 of 285 Old 05-14-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post

can someone post a link to where Chad B says this? i'd like to read exactly what he said.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post20177062
post #188 of 285 Old 05-15-2011, 02:23 PM

^^thanks

guess i'll be passing on the pz550
post #189 of 285 Old 05-15-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:

^^thanks

guess i'll be passing on the pz550

The black levels are really its only weakness and it's still strong compared to LCD/LED. Unless you put it side-by-side with another plasma you more than likely won't notice the black levels.

Throw in the price point (The 60" has been spotted as low as $1300) and only videophile's should really rule this plasma out...
post #190 of 285 Old 05-15-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post

The black levels are really its only weakness and it's still strong compared to LCD/LED. Unless you put it side-by-side with another plasma you more than likely won't notice the black levels.

Throw in the price point (The 60" has been spotted as low as $1300) and only videophile's should really rule this plasma out...

I am willing to bet that the majority of videophiles can't tell the difference. I am watching my old Phillips Plasma from 2006 and the blacks look really grey in comparison. It may not be a Kuro, but it is really good for most environments. It was an impulse purchase for me when I saw the 50pz550 at Fry's for 799 with glasses and I am extremely happy I bought it. Wonderful for the family room, but wouldn't buy it for my dedicated theater..... but thn again it looks 100 x's better than my now ancient 720p projector.

Michael
post #191 of 285 Old 05-15-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrrhusmj View Post

I am willing that the majority of videophiles can't tell the difference. I am watching my old Phillips Plasma from 2006 and the blacks look really grey in comparison. It may not be a Kuro, but it is really good for most environments. It was an impulse purchase for me when I saw the 50pz550 at Fry's for 799 with glasses and I am extremely happy I bought it. Wonderful for the family room, but wouldn't buy it for my dedicated theater..... but thn again it looks 100 x's better than my now ancient 720p projector.

I pretty much agree with you, but a display tech would probably notice.

The only catch I suppose is knowing that the XXpz550 has inferior black levels. Some wouldn't enjoy this plasma knowing that it has inferior black levels even 99% (including the buyer) wouldn't notice, just a psychological thing of knowing your equipment isn't all it could be.
post #192 of 285 Old 05-16-2011, 09:16 AM

I *might* have gone with the pk series over this if the price were the same. 3D was not a deal breaker. Side by sides are really hard to do in the real world though.

I did get a samsung 3D BD-D5500 this weekend. I'm getting the pixel sparkle...tiny multicolored noise all over the picture. The PZ550 in the store display had this same issue, but the guy tried a different hdmi cable and the problem went away, so I'm just hoping the "included cable" that came with the player is faulty.

you can even see the pixeling on the menu prompts. If you hit Home to pull up the main menu you'll see it. Flip inputs back to tuner or component, and the menu doesn't show it anymore. So it's input-specific.
post #193 of 285 Old 05-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone been able to pass a digital signal through the tv to a receiver? I have a THX logitech setup and have my DirecTV box and Xbox360 plugged directly into the tv via HDMI and have an optical cable running to my Logitech device from the tv but I can't get it to detect a Dolby Digital or DTS signal so I question if the TV is passing it or not.
post #194 of 285 Old 05-18-2011, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

Has anyone been able to pass a digital signal through the tv to a receiver?

Yes, I have. The CEC/ARC (weirdly) does work on my 1.3 Sony receiver. I can't say it's flawless ... there are resets. It's supposed to be a function of 1.4, which the TV certainly has. I only played with it for a few days, then went back to 100% receiver, ignoring the TV ARC.

No Bling
post #195 of 285 Old 05-18-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

Has anyone been able to pass a digital signal through the tv to a receiver? I have a THX logitech setup and have my DirecTV box and Xbox360 plugged directly into the tv via HDMI and have an optical cable running to my Logitech device from the tv but I can't get it to detect a Dolby Digital or DTS signal so I question if the TV is passing it or not.

I'm all set to do this. I'll have the samsung 3d bluray going hdmi to the tv, and then optical audio out of the tv to the Vizio 5.1 soundbar I bought. Just waiting to order and ship the optical cable and 90 degree adapter.

I know the tv has an audio setting to turn off the internal speakers, but I don't think that matters one way or the other for the pass-through. I'll repost here once I get everything running.
post #196 of 285 Old 05-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

is there any ghosting or crosstalk the movie you watch on your LG 3D tv?
post #197 of 285 Old 05-19-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewer View Post

I'm not paying $150 for two glasses. It will be a while before I'm watching any 3D content. sorry!
post #198 of 285 Old 05-19-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewer View Post

I haven't seen either on mine although I may be less sensitive or picky than others. I think the 3D looks great, just watched Avatar which was mind blowing in terms of depth and perspective. I've also enjoyed the NBA playoffs on DirecTV's 3D channel.

My only issue (and it's a small one) is having the glasses occasionally lose sync. Some pairs seem more prone than others...

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
post #199 of 285 Old 05-19-2011, 02:15 PM

Hello all,

So I guess i'll start by noting that I never really considered myself a videophile but i am aware and often able to see alot of the issues that videophiles like to be picky about. I thought I would post my thoughts and issues on this set.

Probably the first issue you'll come across with this set is glare. Yes there is alot of it but as others have noted it's quite simmilar to the glare you would see on a lot of older crts, so if that never bothered you before it probably wont now. Honestly it's not something that bugs me that much and is on the lower end of my pet peeves, but the lighting is fairly easy to control in the room it's in.

Picture- Overall I'd say the picture is pretty decent, I've no way to test the black levels but they seem decent although they don't come anywhere near to meeting the blackness of the bezel. Color seems ok.

Lag- while i only did some preliminary tests with a laptop quite some time ago the lag did test rather high. Between 80-100, that was through the computer connection which was the only one i was able to test and was done rather hastily so when i get a chance i can try to redo those with some greater accuracy.

Line Bleed- Yes this set suffers from line bleed although I can't testify as to how bad or good it is compared to other sets. I can only say that I've noticed on a few occassions to varying degrees. If aynone has suggestions on how to qualify this with specific source material or tests I'd be able to look at it to give a better opinion on it.

Floating blacks/changing contrast- I have noticed on occasion the brightness of the screen adjusting itself regardless of whether or not the energy saving features are off. I haven't noticed the floating blacks (although i've not really been looking) like some panasonics were displaying last year and it's my understanding that what i've noticed may just be the abl or whatever it's called which all plasma's are coming out with for energy consumption purposes and may just be undefeatable. Still this IS my biggest pet peeve so i do notice it whenever it happens.

My biggest complaint, and warning to those looking at the tv, is that I appear to have some vertical banding issues. I have two noticable vertical sections that are darker than the center portion of the screen, most readily seen when there's a solid color on screen. I'm actually quite upset by this as I missed my opportnity to return to it to the store and lg is refusing to honor the warranty saying that it's a burn in issue. Now this is my first plasma but I'm well aware of the dangers of burn in and have done nothing which might have caused the problem im dealing with and their customer service is atrocious. For that reason alone i would recommend you stay away from this tv and all LG products for that matter.
post #200 of 285 Old 05-20-2011, 08:48 AM

the self adjusting blacks are a result of dynamics contrast, not energy saving. I noticed it during the credits for dancing with the stars: they overlay a translucent black to contrast the white credits, on and off, and the set was fluctuating all over.

Go into the advanced options of your picture setting and turn off dynamic contrast.

I don't know what line bleed is, if someone wants to direct me to a video or image as an example that would help.

As far as vertical banding, I can't help you there either. or course if I watch SD programming for a while that is black barred on the left and right, and then I go watch full screen, or watch a solid color, you'll see the image retention affecting the consistency across the screen but it's only temporary. I just watched 2001 space oddyessy HD full screen and saw nothing like what you're describing.
post #201 of 285 Old 05-20-2011, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricide View Post

the self adjusting blacks are a result of dynamics contrast, not energy saving. I noticed it during the credits for dancing with the stars: they overlay a translucent black to contrast the white credits, on and off, and the set was fluctuating all over.

Go into the advanced options of your picture setting and turn off dynamic contrast.

I don't know what line bleed is, if someone wants to direct me to a video or image as an example that would help.

As far as vertical banding, I can't help you there either. or course if I watch SD programming for a while that is black barred on the left and right, and then I go watch full screen, or watch a solid color, you'll see the image retention affecting the consistency across the screen but it's only temporary. I just watched 2001 space oddyessy HD full screen and saw nothing like what you're describing.

I turned the dynamic contrast off when I set my TV up so I've never seen grobasch's described line bleeding, floating blacks or vertical banding. Sounds like the set may need warranty repair or replacement...

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
post #202 of 285 Old 05-23-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:

I'm all set to do this. I'll have the samsung 3d bluray going hdmi to the tv, and then optical audio out of the tv to the Vizio 5.1 soundbar I bought. Just waiting to order and ship the optical cable and 90 degree adapter.

I know the tv has an audio setting to turn off the internal speakers, but I don't think that matters one way or the other for the pass-through. I'll repost here once I get everything running.

update: the LG will not pass DTS or Dolby from HDMI through optical. It will pass surround from my ATSC cable connection (from the wall into the coax) but only passes stereo from the blu ray hdmi to my vizio 510.

so for now I have to decide whether to watch blurays or TV in surround, until I get an optical switch. bummer. stupid!
post #203 of 285 Old 05-24-2011, 08:38 PM

does the pz550 come with a pair of 3d glasses in the box? i saw a review on youtube that suggested it did.
post #204 of 285 Old 05-24-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grobasch View Post

Hello all,

So I guess i'll start by noting that I never really considered myself a videophile but i am aware and often able to see alot of the issues that videophiles like to be picky about. I thought I would post my thoughts and issues on this set.

Probably the first issue you'll come across with this set is glare. Yes there is alot of it but as others have noted it's quite simmilar to the glare you would see on a lot of older crts, so if that never bothered you before it probably wont now. Honestly it's not something that bugs me that much and is on the lower end of my pet peeves, but the lighting is fairly easy to control in the room it's in.

Picture- Overall I'd say the picture is pretty decent, I've no way to test the black levels but they seem decent although they don't come anywhere near to meeting the blackness of the bezel. Color seems ok.

Lag- while i only did some preliminary tests with a laptop quite some time ago the lag did test rather high. Between 80-100, that was through the computer connection which was the only one i was able to test and was done rather hastily so when i get a chance i can try to redo those with some greater accuracy.

Line Bleed- Yes this set suffers from line bleed although I can't testify as to how bad or good it is compared to other sets. I can only say that I've noticed on a few occassions to varying degrees. If aynone has suggestions on how to qualify this with specific source material or tests I'd be able to look at it to give a better opinion on it.

Floating blacks/changing contrast- I have noticed on occasion the brightness of the screen adjusting itself regardless of whether or not the energy saving features are off. I haven't noticed the floating blacks (although i've not really been looking) like some panasonics were displaying last year and it's my understanding that what i've noticed may just be the abl or whatever it's called which all plasma's are coming out with for energy consumption purposes and may just be undefeatable. Still this IS my biggest pet peeve so i do notice it whenever it happens.

My biggest complaint, and warning to those looking at the tv, is that I appear to have some vertical banding issues. I have two noticable vertical sections that are darker than the center portion of the screen, most readily seen when there's a solid color on screen. I'm actually quite upset by this as I missed my opportnity to return to it to the store and lg is refusing to honor the warranty saying that it's a burn in issue. Now this is my first plasma but I'm well aware of the dangers of burn in and have done nothing which might have caused the problem im dealing with and their customer service is atrocious. For that reason alone i would recommend you stay away from this tv and all LG products for that matter.

darn. i was hoping LG had fixed the line bleed. i had a pk550 and it was a real problem.
post #205 of 285 Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:

does the pz550 come with a pair of 3d glasses in the box? i saw a review on youtube that suggested it did.

No, but I bought mine in a package deal so look for those. Also for second pairs, Fry's online has them for about half of MSRP (much less than anyone else I have seen).

Michael
post #206 of 285 Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrrhusmj View Post

No, but I bought mine in a package deal so look for those. Also for second pairs, Fry's online has them for about half of MSRP (much less than anyone else I have seen).

Michael

I also bought mine in a package deal. The glasses did not come in the same box as the TV. The sales guy grabbed two individual glasses off the shelf.
post #207 of 285 Old 05-26-2011, 03:38 PM

anyone using the Film Mode to run hdmi inputs at 1080/24p? I have my Samsung blu ray player set at that mode, and when the content begins palying the display goes into 24p mode and introduces a lot of noise on the screen. pink pixelly noise. I turned the bluray film mode off, the TV defaulted to off, and the display was clean again.

Any ideas? I don't have another 24p content device or another 24p hdmi display to test.
post #208 of 285 Old 05-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Very interesting you guys are able to get the optical port on the TV to pass Dolby Digital/DTS audio. I did a test and with my 360 if I plug my logitech speakers directly into the 360 using an optical cable adapter and HDMI I can get Dolby Digital. If I run the audio from the TV to the logitech box and then plug the 360 into the TV via HDMI I cannot get Dolby Digital out of it, just Pro-Logic II.
post #209 of 285 Old 05-27-2011, 08:59 AM

nobody said that between your last post and this one. I agree with you, I only get multichannel through the optical if I'm watching cable company HD channels through coax cable (no box).

I did a live chat with LG and they confirmed that.

If I had known I might have waited for the Vizio 520 sound bar with multiple hdmi inputs.
post #210 of 285 Old 05-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

nobody said that between your last post and this one. I agree with you, I only get multichannel through the optical if I'm watching cable company HD channels through coax cable (no box).

I did a live chat with LG and they confirmed that.

If I had known I might have waited for the Vizio 520 sound bar with multiple hdmi inputs.

Ah, I re-read it and you are right. Thanks for the clarity now I can stop going nuts trying to figure it out
Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page