LG PASSIVE LW6500 dedicated thread... - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2483 Old 07-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I understand what you are saying, but quite honestly those pictures cannot be used as an example.

The exposure on the LG is overexposed to the point that there is no true black in your image. (This is easily verified by comparing against border of the image window the larger pic is shown within.)

Without using the EXACT same settings in the camera (in Manual mode), there can be no fair comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2483 Old 07-07-2011, 09:52 AM

lol I knew someone would say that. In fact the LG looks 10 times worse in person. I don't work for LG, I don't work for Samsung or Panasonic, I'm just a consumer trying to inform other members about deficiencies in this panel, after dropping $2,000 on it. It bleeds lots of lot around edges, has MURA and bad uniformity all around. My photos are actually very accurate, taken at the same time under the same lighting conditions.
post #363 of 2483 Old 07-07-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDUDE View Post

For the past few days I have been having problems connecting to Netlix.

Anyone else have any issues like this?

I also had problems connecting to Netflix last night and the night before. In between that time I connected to Netflix through my Xbox 360 using the same router and had no problems. Sounds like an LG issue, and right after a firmware update!
post #364 of 2483 Old 07-07-2011, 10:03 AM

Cnet review for the lw5600 the lower model was pretty positive in regards to Uniformity. However your pictures make it look worse than my 32" Polaroid in my daughters room. I just can't believe it's that bad....

"The good: The LG LW5600 series evinced excellent color in bright and dark areas, along with relatively deep black levels and even screen uniformity for an edge-lit LED-based LCD TV."
post #365 of 2483 Old 07-07-2011, 10:08 AM

I am thoroughly enjoying my new 47LW6500. I am using all the calibration settings from the flatpanelsHD review, simply because they must know more than me how the TV should look. I don't trust my own eyes.

I am having major trouble trying to calibrate my TV for Lego Rock Band on the Xbox 360. No matter what I try I can't get the audio and video to match my drum hits. I have been able to get the audio OR the video to match, but never both at once. I have used Game mode, turned off Dolby Digital in the game, turned of TruMotion and Local dimming. I am connected via HDMI directly to the TV and have tried using both my wireless and wired drum sets. My sound comes from a Sony soundbar that uses ARC and AV syncing.

Can anyone using this TV with any of the Rock Band games throw up some calibration numbers and settings? Thanks.
post #366 of 2483 Old 07-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianZane View Post

lol I knew someone would say that. In fact the LG looks 10 times worse in person. I don't work for LG, I don't work for Samsung or Panasonic, I'm just a consumer trying to inform other members about deficiencies in this panel, after dropping $2,000 on it. It bleeds lots of lot around edges, has MURA and bad uniformity all around. My photos are actually very accurate, taken at the same time under the same lighting conditions.

You DID realize you bought an Edge-Lit set, correct? Not really sure what you were expecting...

Doesn't appear that you had the local dimming on either. But still if you had the backlight at 35 and it looked like that, I'd say you DID have a poor specimen. Again, with that exposure it's hard to conceptualize as it appears to be an attempt to over-emphasize the issue.

I think that all owners of this set are aware of the downsides of edge-lit vs. full array lighting. You just can't knock it for being "what it is", though.

Your priority is black level and that is a noble pursuit, it just isn't everyone's...
post #367 of 2483 Old 07-07-2011, 10:47 AM

I am not sure what I am missing, but I can't find the option on the 65lw6500 to turn on/off local dimming? Can anyone with this set post their settings for 2d and 3d...
thanks

So far after a day I am fairly pleased with this set- I believe I can deal with the glossy screen...
post #368 of 2483 Old 07-07-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddgabweg View Post

I am not sure what I am missing, but I can't find the option on the 65lw6500 to turn on/off local dimming?

Think that is the Dynamic Contrast setting, but I could be wrong.
post #369 of 2483 Old 07-07-2011, 03:06 PM

Well I bought a 6500 series, not the 5600... maybe I got unlucky, I don't know, hopefully others won't have the MURA issue I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt21 View Post

Cnet review for the lw5600 the lower model was pretty positive in regards to Uniformity. However your pictures make it look worse than my 32" Polaroid in my daughters room. I just can't believe it's that bad....

"The good: The LG LW5600 series evinced excellent color in bright and dark areas, along with relatively deep black levels and even screen uniformity for an edge-lit LED-based LCD TV."

post #370 of 2483 Old 07-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddgabweg View Post

I am not sure what I am missing, but I can't find the option on the 65lw6500 to turn on/off local dimming? Can anyone with this set post their settings for 2d and 3d...
thanks

So far after a day I am fairly pleased with this set- I believe I can deal with the glossy screen...

I don't own this TV (65LW6500) but my folks just got it. I will be playing with it on Saturday.

This is what is says in the manual on page 80 about how to get to the Local Dimming setting:

Quote:
PICTURE Settings
1 Press Home to access the Home menu.
2 Press the Navigation buttons to scroll to SETUP and press ENTER.
3 Press the Navigation buttons to scroll to PICTURE and press
ENTER.
4 Press the Navigation buttons to scroll to the setting or option you
want and press ENTER. [Local Dimming is the last option according to the image from the PDF]
- To return to the previous level, press BACK.
5 When you are finished, press EXIT.

Page 90 goes on to describe the different levels (Low, Medium, and High) of Local Dimming.

Hope this helps, if not Saturday I will try to see what I can find when I go over to my folks house.

"With the advent of high-definition television, home viewers will see actors with extreme clarity and detail. Thus they will demand the stars of "Sex and the City" change their names to "The Golden Girls." -Conan O'Brien, In The Year 2000: Ted Danson Edition-
post #371 of 2483 Old 07-07-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmaster10.2 View Post

I don't own this TV (65LW6500) but my folks just got it. I will be playing with it on Saturday.

This is what is says in the manual on page 80 about how to get to the Local Dimming setting:

Page 90 goes on to describe the different levels (Low, Medium, and High) of Local Dimming.

Hope this helps, if not Saturday I will try to see what I can find when I go over to my folks house.

Not sure why it is not there in my settings- does the 65lw6500 have this feature??? I wish they made a manuel just for the 65lw6500... look forward to what you see on Saturday... thank you
post #372 of 2483 Old 07-07-2011, 11:42 PM

Well one thing LG has going for it is passive 3-D, I've been trying to watch 3-D on my Panasonic after returning the LG for MURA and the passive 3D is a FAR better experience. Active shutter makes me nauseous and dizzy, and it's difficult to watch... Real 3D is teaming up with all the manufacturers next year to make passive/active sets, that will be the way to go. So the 3D on the LG is excellent.
post #373 of 2483 Old 07-08-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Good comparison article:
LG Fires Another Round In The 3D Format War-HD Guru Analysis
http://hdguru.com/lg-fires-another-r...analysis/5020/
post #374 of 2483 Old 07-08-2011, 03:27 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

Good comparison article:
LG Fires Another Round In The 3D Format War-HD Guru Analysis
http://hdguru.com/lg-fires-another-r...analysis/5020/

Interesting article. I thought HD-Guru sounded a bit defensive...

I also thought it was interesting that HD-Guru basically implied that the 80 percent who disagreed with them must be idiots. Of course, they just called it "uninformed and untrained", to be polite...
post #375 of 2483 Old 07-08-2011, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschleicher View Post

Interesting article. I thought HD-Guru sounded a bit defensive...

I also thought it was interesting that HD-Guru basically implied that the 80 percent who disagreed with them must be idiots. Of course, they just called it "uninformed and untrained", to be polite...

I didn't read it that way at all; to me the idea of watching a 47" TV from 8 feet away for any significant period of time is pretty silly and it's obvious that the distance factored into the PQ and offset viewing results. 3D viewing is all about immersion and at that distance the image will be really small and fill very little of your peripheral vision.

The added info behind these tests also casts LG's TV ads in a misleading light as they show people sitting no more than 4 or 5 feet away from the TV even as they tout the results of tests during which people were sitting far more away than that.
post #376 of 2483 Old 07-08-2011, 05:37 PM

I've tried both, in my living room, the LG 3-D passive experience is far better than active shutter. If you sit too close to the LG tho you start to see little black lines, but when you step back about 4-5 feet the lines disappear. Didn't notice in degradation in PQ quality with the 540 resolution per eye, I don't think the human eye can tell the difference. But passive is the way to go.
post #377 of 2483 Old 07-08-2011, 06:04 PM

im looking at grabbing the lg 55 in passive and when I watched the demo at best buy I see some bluryiness on the the sides and corners off the tv..is this normal or just the way best buy had it set up? If i have it at home and sit a normal distance..5-10 feet..will I see the blurryness?
post #378 of 2483 Old 07-08-2011, 08:24 PM

Hey toddgabweg..wow, congratulations .. I read "reviewer's, pros." 47" excellent.. 55" "ok, fine, etc; larger showed the flaws and shortcomings of the technology to much. went to see, as I would prefer larger, theret": was this humongous, glossy screen monster " drive in movie sized" 65" 3d passive panel from lg on a vizio.. amazing, Wow.. blu ray. And 3d ..wow..took a regular dvd latest star trek..amazing, even in 480 ..I guess you can go with the numbers full resolution, 1080p to one eye blank, black to the other and back and forth where each eye is seeing half the movie. With flicker, diminished light or ghosting.. follow the techno babble or your eyes.. sorry for the rant. Went thinking and expecting I should probley down size from 55" to 47" and see, to me this amazing pic 65" monster. I feel the glossy panel gives more of the vivid, color, "pop" extreme appearance of deeper blacks and vivid contrast like on the samsungs .l love that pop. The lg has 2d to 3d and control over the 3d depth and paralax this vizio doesn't. Would really appreciate your review and opinion having lived, played, and watched your 65" lg. in a relaxed home environment. I figure the nano tech lw9800 excellent black, contrast, local dimming, full aray led at 55" or this humongous ,hbeautiful 65" glossy screen ( nano is matte) will be about the same price + or - a few $$$.$$ so your review for some of us would be awesome and most appreciated.. some pics of the nano on the nano set from a korean release by tapioca. Cold on the lg 2011 hdtv line pg 21 #615 link. Why I can't decide. No mura edge bleed clouding and everyone seems to say you have to live with it on edge lit. Buuuut that 65" made the 55" look small and the 47" look like a toy. No disrespect to all you new owners with different needs and likes. I keep waiting something better.. ces will show new.. then the release of spring offering then the german show then fall realease for the holidays ..new 4k passive active como.. I think the 5600 and 6500's are awesome 3d passive tvs and need to decide excellent nano 55" or excellent (bluray ,3d), to me, 65" humongous gorgeous 6500 all inpur poitive annd negative greatly appreciated by yu guys who help sp many on this thread with your knowledge and insites. Looking forward to your input toddgabweg thank you. is he done yet?
post #379 of 2483 Old 07-08-2011, 08:37 PM

No some goon at WorstBuy probably had something set up wrong, it is crystal clear all the way around, from any angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevil75 View Post

im looking at grabbing the lg 55 in passive and when I watched the demo at best buy I see some bluryiness on the the sides and corners off the tv..is this normal or just the way best buy had it set up? If i have it at home and sit a normal distance..5-10 feet..will I see the blurryness?

post #380 of 2483 Old 07-08-2011, 08:49 PM

Speaking of bigger? And better? For you passionate dreamers go see the starter of this threads friend in germany ,ist in the world, twin 4k to each eye ,,not upconverted , 4k to each eye twin projected passive 3d on large projection screen home theatre. On section right above the lcd flat panel section by cinerermax . A mr wolfgang mayer world class 3d photography expert thread starter I feel an expert in his own right, ask him about 2d to 3d by terenex and others on the fly in real time hardware starts at 35,000 he installs home theatres iv read him speak very highly of our chosen panel choice and this lg passive 3d technologies. So we all are in good company of those already with their foot in the future.
post #381 of 2483 Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 PM

Edit cinermax thread starter installer knowledgeable. Mr meyer owner 4k and 3d photographer.
post #382 of 2483 Old 07-08-2011, 10:45 PM

Hi all,
Anyone know the best distance for viewing the 55" model? I have been trying to find info on the net, but i am having a bit of difficulty. I want a 55" but it would end up being about 10 feet from my lounge. Would that distance be okay?
Cheers, A
post #383 of 2483 Old 07-08-2011, 10:55 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj21grams View Post

With flicker, diminished light or ghosting.. follow the techno babble or your eyes.. sorry for the rant.

How many times do I have to say it, there is no, zero, zilch, noda flicker on my Samsung un55c8000 3D screen. It is as bright as I would ever want a TV picture. Ghosting yes.

Writing these "flaws" to active display over and over again doesn't make it so!!!!!!!!
post #384 of 2483 Old 07-08-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:

I've tried both, in my living room, the LG 3-D passive experience is far better than active shutter. If you sit too close to the LG tho you start to see little black lines, but when you step back about 4-5 feet the lines disappear. Didn't notice in degradation in PQ quality with the 540 resolution per eye, I don't think the human eye can tell the difference. But passive is the way to go.

The picture is softer and diagonal edges are jaggy at more than 5' especially if the picture size is over 47".

Active is the way to go.
post #385 of 2483 Old 07-08-2011, 11:43 PM

Don't know what to say dude, I've had an LG passive 55" and a Panasonic active 55" in my living room on consecutive nights, the passive screen got six thumbs up from my family, out of 6. It's not even close. I make my comments based on experience with the product, not technical techs, but to each his own. BTW I returned the passive screen and currently have the active Panny so I'm not an LG or passive advocate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robut View Post

The picture is softer and diagonal edges are jaggy at more than 5' especially if the picture size is over 47".

Active is the way to go.

post #386 of 2483 Old 07-09-2011, 12:07 AM

In reply to my own post, I figured out the reason I was still having lag even after trying all the calibration tricks out there. For other Rock Band users, if you are connecting your game console to the TV and the TV passes the audio through external speakers or a receiver, DON'T DO THAT!

Connect your game console directly to the receiver/ speaker system (in my case it was a Sony soundbar subwoofer that has the HDMI pass-through). Once I connected the Xbox directly to the subwoofer, I reran the calibration program in Lego Rock Band and it all came out fine. After three long nights, I can finally get back to pretending I know how to drum!! Reality Sucks!
post #387 of 2483 Old 07-09-2011, 06:13 AM

Some people saw th rainbow on dlp others no some see flicker some don't plasmas is touted as a benchmark display others love as I do the color, vivid contrast, color and pop of samsung.. we have/make different choices keeps the manufacturing giants on there toes too don't you think? Your samsungs going passive next yeat with active screen.. will that be perfect? What if lg upconverts to 2k to each eye? They are all just "snapshots" to what l suspect is all our passion to talk opine rant about our grown up toys to each other. To brag share be excited and learn from each other while half the world is blowing each other up this is not addressed to any one individual. Just sayng sifferent choices.. lot a kid, friends lot of passive glasses.. headaches, fatigue, tiring eyes with active some do some don't.. weigh the options needs.. we don't have to convice anyone for our individual. Choice. Without a doubt most of us are learning or helping and having fun... advancing technologies._Will dampen all our choice eventually ...
Ns
post #388 of 2483 Old 07-09-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Don't know what to say dude, I've had an LG passive 55" and a Panasonic active 55" in my living room on consecutive nights, the passive screen got six thumbs up from my family, out of 6. It's not even close. I make my comments based on experience with the product, not technical techs, but to each his own. BTW I returned the passive screen and currently have the active Panny so I'm not an LG or passive advocate.

Actually the darker image is a valid criticism related to Panny plasma. Samsung LED is brighter. I just have a strong impulse to correct "flaw" comments on active that aren't there on mine.

I just had to add the "active is the way to go" comment to counteract the dozens of times I've seen "passive is the way to go". It seems like the passive related statement is added almost arbitrarily at the end of posts, like trying to get the propaganda out there.

It's hard for me to fight the impulse to defend my $3000 investment.
post #389 of 2483 Old 07-09-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj21grams View Post

Some people saw th rainbow on dlp others no some see flicker some don't plasmas is touted as a benchmark display others love as I do the color, vivid contrast, color and pop of samsung.. we have/make different choices keeps the manufacturing giants on there toes too don't you think? Your samsungs going passive next yeat with active screen.. will that be perfect? What if lg upconverts to 2k to each eye? They are all just "snapshots" to what l suspect is all our passion to talk opine rant about our grown up toys to each other. To brag share be excited and learn from each other while half the world is blowing each other up this is not addressed to any one individual. Just sayng sifferent choices.. lot a kid, friends lot of passive glasses.. headaches, fatigue, tiring eyes with active some do some don't.. weigh the options needs.. we don't have to convice anyone for our individual. Choice. Without a doubt most of us are learning or helping and having fun... advancing technologies._Will dampen all our choice eventually ...
Ns

Your statement is just to reasonable to disagree with.
post #390 of 2483 Old 07-09-2011, 09:21 AM

Robut, hey.. as d'nero would say "you talking to me" l've seen your writings on many apost, usually helping someone.. your investment is safe. Personally l'm partial to samsung picture, color vivid contrast ratios and blacks .. I should wait for their. Passive/active hybrid but there is always something comin at least you made a commitment. So l figure I'll get the 55"nano technology with passive 3d (see tapioca cold's pictures with his korean nano lg?) Awesome ,matte tho . Got it figured right? Few days ago l see a lg panel the same one thats on the 65" lw6500 glossy screen, humongous, Monstrous, huge tv with vivid contrast,, ink blacks, delicious. Color and "samsung" "pop" what to do? Nano "55. Or edge lit 65" my ""samsung pop" with passive 3d? They will be about even.. + or - a few $$$.$$.. the pace lve been going ,with my ocd, l'll be trying to decide between the federation and the klingon holodeck. Your alright robut your previous posts speak highly of you tryi g to help newb's like myself with very knowledgeable information. Next year ill be fighting my own inpulse to defend my? ? Investment.. my cousin gives me two weeks before "I shoulda got?" Then he has the nerve to laugh out loud
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw6500 , Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page