LG PASSIVE LW6500 dedicated thread... - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2485 Old 08-02-2011, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been reading this thread for the last few weeks because I am interested in the TV. I saw the 65 inch in Best But and was impressed. Does anyone have any idea why the price keeps dropping? The 55 inch is now 1746 on Amazon down from 1870(?) yesterday. Not that I am complaining. Is there a new model coming out? I thought this was the 2011 model.

Thanks for any info,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2485 Old 08-02-2011, 11:57 AM

Liked: 10
Yes, I have the LG Remote iPhone application. Works great, on-screen cursor control is very precise / high-sampling. Nice and convenient, saves button wear on the physical wand / regular remotes.

Yes, the TV has a built-in web browser (third app in the bottom bar on the Home screen), and the iPhone app pops up a keyboard to make typing easy. The web browser's Flash support is limited to 'lite' though. Otherwise the web browser works very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz1nsho View Post

Has anyone used the lg app on there smart phone on this panel? Oh does it have an active browser? And if so will the phone app let you use a keyboard?

post #543 of 2485 Old 08-02-2011, 12:12 PM

My guess is that the LW6500/LW5600 prices are getting better due to the incoming LW9800 thin-bezeled micro-dimming set. Yes, these TVs were released early this year. I bought in a $1800 and feel pretty good about that price point for the LW6500 (two months ago it was at $2400 - that's up here in Canada though. Now it's at $1900 on sale.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by moraseski View Post

I have been reading this thread for the last few weeks because I am interested in the TV. I saw the 65 inch in Best But and was impressed. Does anyone have any idea why the price keeps dropping? The 55 inch is now 1746 on Amazon down from 1870(?) yesterday. Not that I am complaining. Is there a new model coming out? I thought this was the 2011 model.

Thanks for any info,
Jim

post #544 of 2485 Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

I hope the 65" keeps dropping so I can get my guaranteed price match
post #545 of 2485 Old 08-02-2011, 02:36 PM

Been watching with my new 47LW6500 for almost two weeks now, all I can say is wow. Brought two 3D movies ("Tangled" and "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs") for test, and both look amazing. My only complaint I have now is I executed the TV Low Price Guarantee on Amazon a bit too early.
post #546 of 2485 Old 08-02-2011, 06:37 PM

LG cinema 3D. Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluc View Post

Anyone know of a good review of the 2d features of the 47LW6500 ( blu ray, tv and dvd playback)?

Here is one that relates to gaming. I hope It helps! Its the LW6500 with the updated software.

Sorry I don't have enough posts so Just search 3DTVMANGJ in youtube it will be the only video that comes up that is the author.
post #547 of 2485 Old 08-03-2011, 02:46 AM

Hi Guys, I have a small question about trying to play 3D content from my desktop.

I'm trying to play 3d Half SBS samples from my PC to my 47LW6500, currently it's hooked up via VGA cable since I have an old ATI HD4300 with no HDMI output, just DVI with the VGA adapter. The issue is I cannot enable SBS mode on the TV (grayed out), I'm assuming this is because the signal is coming from the VGA port.

Would buying a DVI to HDMI cable and hooking up the PC to the TV enable me to activate the SBS mode on the 47LW6500?

Thanks!
post #548 of 2485 Old 08-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Destructor View Post

Hi Guys, I have a small question about trying to play 3D content from my desktop.

I'm trying to play 3d Half SBS samples from my PC to my 47LW6500, currently it's hooked up via VGA cable since I have an old ATI HD4300 with no HDMI output, just DVI with the VGA adapter. The issue is I cannot enable SBS mode on the TV (grayed out), I'm assuming this is because the signal is coming from the VGA port.

Would buying a DVI to HDMI cable and hooking up the PC to the TV enable me to activate the SBS mode on the 47LW6500?

Thanks!

have you tried the Plex media server capabilites to watch it directly over your network?
post #549 of 2485 Old 08-03-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Destructor View Post

Thanks!

I have my computer hooked up to my 65lw6500 with a dvi-hdmi conversion cable and am able to enable any 3d format on the TV. Audio will not transfer this way, however, so you will need to use an audio out jack (or digital audio out jack) from your computer to your TV or sound system. You should be able to find the dvi-hdmi cable online for pretty cheap. Good luck
post #550 of 2485 Old 08-03-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzzy View Post

have you tried the Plex media server capabilites to watch it directly over your network?

I've tried something similar (PS3 Media Server), problem was the TV wasn't recognizing the audio, whereas my PS3 was able to play everything but 3D movies were unbearably choppy for some reason. I've spend all ay troubleshooting yesterday to no avail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post

I have my computer hooked up to my 65lw6500 with a dvi-hdmi conversion cable and am able to enable any 3d format on the TV. Audio will not transfer this way, however, so you will need to use an audio out jack (or digital audio out jack) from your computer to your TV or sound system. You should be able to find the dvi-hdmi cable online for pretty cheap. Good luck

Great! I already have my PC hooked up to my sound system so video is all I need, I'll go find myself a conversion cable and try that.
post #551 of 2485 Old 08-03-2011, 11:23 AM

Help need for my hdmi cable. Let's start off by saying im way over budget after buying the 6500 and blu ray surround sound. I need a hdmi cable to connect them but something that will support the 240hz and 3D. As cheap as I can go without it being a piece of junk. I ordered a monster cable item 11-762-14 purchased at best buy. Will that work?
post #552 of 2485 Old 08-03-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Help need for my hdmi cable. Let's start off by saying im way over budget after buying the 6500 and blu ray surround sound. I need a hdmi cable to connect them but something that will support the 240hz and 3D. As cheap as I can go without it being a piece of junk. I ordered a monster cable item 11-762-14 purchased at best buy. Will that work?

Try monoprice.com. I've ordered many cables from them and have always been happy with the product.

Jim
post #553 of 2485 Old 08-03-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

You can also get some very affordable (< $10), high speed HDMI cables direct from Amazon.com
post #554 of 2485 Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 PM

I got the LG 55 6500 from amazon and I too notice their prices all over the place. 2088, then 1767, now back up to 18-something.
One thing to watch for those looking for the 65" LG 6500, amazon is NOT selling these directly, but they told me they plan to get the 65" in within 6 - 8 weeks.
When you see amazon selling the 65" directly, I would wager the price will be under 2500. Just a guess, but if amazon is waiting for these 65" to come in, expect a massive price drop.

They are running a promo also giving away 10 pairs of glasses. But you can buy bulk sets of passive glasses off ebay too.
Or use the Real-3D glasses you get at the movie theater.
post #555 of 2485 Old 08-03-2011, 04:54 PM

Anyone else notice the PQ on the LG brand 3D tv's? It’s hard to pin point, but it looks like you are watching raw movie video or on-set video of the movie. I can't really explain it but it is so clear and de-fuzzed. Even on the old B&W classic tv, the scenes look like you are there in the studio. Usually, especially with movies, they add some (I don’t know) fuzzing? A movie on tv or the big theater screen is not the same as you get with your home camcorder. Your camcorder is crystal clear video, while movies are blurred or fuzzed out (whatever they do to it).
But with the LG brand, this crystal clear quality is restored and scenes have this "you are there" quality.
I was watching Tom Hanks in Road to Perdition, and when he is walking upstairs in the beach home calling is anyone home, you feel like you are on the set watching this in person.
Very different aspect on watching films, movies and tv shows.
Kind of personalizes the scene where you fell that you are on set watching the take.
I only have noticed this on LG sets.
post #556 of 2485 Old 08-03-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP

You can also get some very affordable (< $10), high speed HDMI cables direct from Amazon.com
WOW thanks so much. Never used amazon before. I just bought 2 monster ultra 1000 4' cables for $40. There $99 each at best buy!!!
post #557 of 2485 Old 08-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

you could have gotten just as good cables for much less than that even. Monster "tends" to be the Bose of cables...way overpriced.
post #558 of 2485 Old 08-03-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportage
Anyone else notice the PQ on the LG brand 3D tv's? It's hard to pin point, but it looks like you are watching raw movie video or on-set video of the movie. I can't really explain it but it is so clear and de-fuzzed. Even on the old B&W classic tv, the scenes look like you are there in the studio. Usually, especially with movies, they add some (I don't know) fuzzing? A movie on tv or the big theater screen is not the same as you get with your home camcorder. Your camcorder is crystal clear video, while movies are blurred or fuzzed out (whatever they do to it).
But with the LG brand, this crystal clear quality is restored and scenes have this "you are there" quality.
I was watching Tom Hanks in Road to Perdition, and when he is walking upstairs in the beach home calling is anyone home, you feel like you are on the set watching this in person.
Very different aspect on watching films, movies and tv shows.
Kind of personalizes the scene where you fell that you are on set watching the take.
I only have noticed this on LG sets.
That is most likely the Trumotion you are seeing. Some people like it, most hate it. It's described as the Soap Opera Effect. You can adjust or disable Trumotion in the tv settings.
post #559 of 2485 Old 08-03-2011, 11:59 PM

I really like it (trumotion?), whatever it is. I first noticed this watching my LG 47 active 3D set bought last year. Now I am seeing the same thing on my LG 55 passive 3D set. Watching classic b&w tv, like I Love Lucy, gives such a different perception. Like I was there on set watching this take. Everything just looks different. Like a home video. Took some of the mystery out of the show while giving the impression what it would be like to actually be there in person.

But that scene with Tom Hanks was surreal. I felt like I was the cameraman following Tom up the stairs, with camera in hand, shooting the scene. Pretty cool.
post #560 of 2485 Old 08-04-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-JTL View Post

That is most likely the Trumotion you are seeing. Some people like it, most hate it. It's described as the Soap Opera Effect. You can adjust or disable Trumotion in the tv settings.

no disrespect or challenge.. ' perhaps "many/if not most" people like it, what sportage refers to_o. As what he likes about his new Lg panel, And you ( not as an attack but as information) infer to_o. As "s.o.e. ") except videophlles and the "elite, knowing" group to be found on this forum, many who grew up with "saturdays at the movies" with the judder,flicker and color space(natural) stamped on our psyche? Correct calibration as a baseline is essential from a technological need for accuracy, and consistency, even comparing " apples to oranges" of different brands, by them all having the same values as a starting point in comparing them to a reference benchmark " in stone " of calibration points that are standardized. Subjective, visceral liking in color,contrast, gamma to black etc, I feel, is akin, to the philosophy, to grow older is mandatory to grow up is optional should use correct settings...mandatory,? non use, of said, choosing, vivid colors, unrealistic, but dramatic contrast, gamma, "soap opera effect", ultra, sharp processed pictured optional.? There's a new generation in town ..Choice the "American way" ...for many good international friends, just a local humerous phrase.
post #561 of 2485 Old 08-04-2011, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportage View Post

I really like it (trumotion?), whatever it is. I first noticed this watching my LG 47 active 3D set bought last year. Now I am seeing the same thing on my LG 55 passive 3D set. Watching classic b&w tv, like I Love Lucy, gives such a different perception. Like I was there on set watching this take. Everything just looks different. Like a home video. Took some of the mystery out of the show while giving the impression what it would be like to actually be there in person.

But that scene with Tom Hanks was surreal. I felt like I was the cameraman following Tom up the stairs, with camera in hand, shooting the scene. Pretty cool.

I agree, its pretty cool the different "tweeking's" this panal has to dial in a gorgeous picture both natural and surreal.. enjoy your new 55" l haven't pulled the trigger yet.... so wanted to thank you about the news that Amazon's will carry this in 6 to 8 weeks, in case I don't go with this other panal I want to √ out 1st. Did you notice if what you describe as taking away the fuzzy or blurred edges, will your panel do this on the fuzzy lines in the 3d mode also? Will you check how the sharp edge, details looks with your settings you have now and.. compare them with E-jtl's suggestion, of turning off your truemotion. Notice any sharp edge detail difference on one compared to the other? Do you, perceive one with more clear, sharply detailed picture in 3d ??Thanks .... try e-jtl's suggestion of TtuMo off to enjoy a movie theater experience the way the director intended. E-jml , I feel, is "right" and is trying to help others and yourself, personal preference aside.
post #562 of 2485 Old 08-04-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj21grams View Post

I agree, its pretty cool the different "tweeking's" this panal has to dial in a gorgeous picture both natural and surreal.. enjoy your new 55" l haven't pulled the trigger yet.... so wanted to thank you about the news that Amazon's will carry this in 6 to 8 weeks, in case I don't go with this other panal I want to ? out 1st. Did you notice if what you describe as taking away the fuzzy or blurred edges, will your panel do this on the fuzzy lines in the 3d mode also? Will you check how the sharp edge, details looks with your settings you have now and.. compare them with E-jtl's suggestion, of turning off your truemotion. Notice any sharp edge detail difference on one compared to the other? Do you, perceive one with more clear, sharply detailed picture in 3d ??Thanks .... try e-jtl's suggestion of TtuMo off to enjoy a movie theater experience the way the director intended. E-jml , I feel, is "right" and is trying to help others and yourself, personal preference aside.

I am in absolutely no way saying that I am right, or that you SHOULD turn off Trumotion. If you like it, be all means, have it on. You bought the tv, set it up in whatever way looks good to you. I'm just saying that nearly every single one of the settings I have seen posted has it either turned off or set to minimize the SOE through various deblur/dejudder settings. And that doesn't just go for this tv. Visit a Samsung, Panasonic, etc forum and you will see the same discussion about SOE.

Whatever tv settings you find that make you enjoy the experience better, use those! For example, I never use color temp warm because it makes it too orange and whites look a bit "dirty.". Also, if I look carefully, color gamut:wide makes the colors just a hair too vivid to where they don't look natural to me. Whatever works!
post #563 of 2485 Old 08-04-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post

Update: So I hooked up my PC to the TV using the DVI to HDMI cable, 2d works perfectly and I can enable all 3D modes. But when I switch on SBS 3D I see faint transparent black bars (about 1 inch thick) on the right and left edges of the screen, this is really distracting when watching a 3D movie.

I know the issue is coming from the DVI output and not the TV, because I hooked up my laptop which has an HDMI output and there were no bars.

I guess the solution would be to buy a new graphics card with an HDMI out and try that out.
post #564 of 2485 Old 08-04-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-JTL View Post
I am in absolutely no way saying that I am right, or that you SHOULD turn off Trumotion. If you like it, be all means, have it on. You bought the tv, set it up in whatever way looks good to you. I'm just saying that nearly every single one of the settings I have seen posted has it either turned off or set to minimize the SOE through various deblur/dejudder settings. And that doesn't just go for this tv. Visit a Samsung, Panasonic, etc forum and you will see the same discussion about SOE.

Whatever tv settings you find that make you enjoy the experience better, use those! For example, I never use color temp warm because it makes it too orange and whites look a bit "dirty.". Also, if I look carefully, color gamut:wide makes the colors just a hair too vivid to where they don't look natural to me. Whatever works!
A couple of comments on Tru-Motion (just my opinion, of course):

- My understanding of the "de-judder" function is that it is intended to take out judder that results from converting movies that were shot at 24 fps, to 60 fps. But if you have your Blu-Ray player set to provide 24 fps output, our sets already have 5:5 pull-down feature, so I don't think there's judder to begin with. However, a movie that is being watched from your cable box, or via streaming, MIGHT benefit from de-judder (as it has been converted to 60 fps already).

- Many of the arguments for de-blur seem to be related to watching sports, and I think it is also true that the "live" look of the SOE is perhaps actually good for sports.

- For whatever reason, the SOE seems strange for movies, (and to some extent for TV dramas), but not strange for lots of other TV content. I admit that the strangeness of it for movies may be just a mental by-product of how I expect movies to look, which may change over time. BUT, I agree with the opinion expressed above, that it makes it look like you are watching a documentary about the filming of the movie, and not actually watching the movie itself. "Too real", basically.....

- Based on the above, I have Tru-Motion turned off completely on the input that comes from my BD player (and the BD-player is set to provide 24 fps output).

- I have Tru-Motion partly turned on for the input that comes from the cable box, using the "User Mode" setting that lets you set de-judder and de-blur separately. Somewhat arbitrarily, I have de-judder turned off (0), and de-blur at 5. To be honest, I don't really know what it means to de-judder at a setting of 3, versus a setting of 10. (Whereas "on" or "off" I understand....)

YMMV.

I have also wondered about my current choices of warm color temperature and standard color gamut. I picked warm because my impression was that it was the closest to the 6500K standard. And the standard color gamut, since most of the posts about professional reviews and calibrations always show the standard color gamut being chosen. But admittedly I have not tried to play around with many of the options. What I DID spend a fair amount of time on was adjusting the RGB color and brightness settings (in the 2-point IRE settings area of the Expert Color Management settings), to basically turn down the G and B such that I no longer saw a green tinge in yellow, and also no longer saw a mild purplish/magenta cast to fleshtones. Basically I couldn't find an overall Tint setting that did both. Turning the Tint setting toward the red would make the yellows look better, but then fleshtones would look to pink/magenta. In the end, turning down both the G and B in the expert color management area seemed to accomplish both goals. But perhaps that is just for my particular set (or maybe just for ME!). I just rely on the Picture Wizard for the basic settings.
post #565 of 2485 Old 08-04-2011, 11:49 AM

Good points, interesting discussion... My impression is that judder is naturally present in film (24fps) material from the low framerate. On the other hand NTSC/ATSC broadcasts are generally 60 fields per second (and judder may be present due to how the original material was filmed, then is up-converted to conform to the broadcast standard.). My rather simpleton interpretation of De-Judder and De-Blur on our sets is

- De-Judder = temporal interpolation (adds interpolated motion frames based on existing frames)

- De-Blur = spatial interpolation (attempts to sharpen the image in individual frames, based maybe on the last sharp frame before the motion started)

I'm not sure the above is actually what happens, but is consistent from what I've seen after twiddling with the TruMotion settings. Turning off De-Judder eliminates the soap opera effect. Turning on De-Blur seems to keeps the image sharper during motion.

*Update*: I've noticed in the new 4.00.18 firmware that TruMotion on High in 3D mode (watching 3D bluerays) now produces very noticeable artefacting around moving objects (looks sort of like a 'force field' of sorts). Turning TruMotion to Low almost completely gets rid of it. Too bad, with the older 3.x firmware I could use TruMotion on High in 3D mode to get absolutely smooth motion with ZERO artefacts (of course in 2D I got artefacts with this setting). Not sure why LG did that for this release.

*Another update* I tested Avatar 3D toggling between TruMotion On/Off to test the so-called 1080i algorithm. I admit I did notice a slight bit more sharpness in the same scenes when I switched TruMotion Off, but I felt the overall experience was more immersive and simply mind-blowing with TruMotion On (low) in 3D mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschleicher View Post

A couple of comments on Tru-Motion (just my opinion, of course):

- My understanding of the "de-judder" function is that it is intended to take out judder that results from converting movies that were shot at 24 fps, to 60 fps. But if you have your Blu-Ray player set to provide 24 fps output, our sets already have 5:5 pull-down feature, so I don't think there's judder to begin with. However, a movie that is being watched from your cable box, or via streaming, MIGHT benefit from de-judder (as it has been converted to 60 fps already).

- Many of the arguments for de-blur seem to be related to watching sports, and I think it is also true that the "live" look of the SOE is perhaps actually good for sports.

- For whatever reason, the SOE seems strange for movies, (and to some extent for TV dramas), but not strange for lots of other TV content. I admit that the strangeness of it for movies may be just a mental by-product of how I expect movies to look, which may change over time. BUT, I agree with the opinion expressed above, that it makes it look like you are watching a documentary about the filming of the movie, and not actually watching the movie itself. "Too real", basically.....

- Based on the above, I have Tru-Motion turned off completely on the input that comes from my BD player (and the BD-player is set to provide 24 fps output).

- I have Tru-Motion partly turned on for the input that comes from the cable box, using the "User Mode" setting that lets you set de-judder and de-blur separately. Somewhat arbitrarily, I have de-judder turned off (0), and de-blur at 5. To be honest, I don't really know what it means to de-judder at a setting of 3, versus a setting of 10. (Whereas "on" or "off" I understand....)

YMMV.

I have also wondered about my current choices of warm color temperature and standard color gamut. I picked warm because my impression was that it was the closest to the 6500K standard. And the standard color gamut, since most of the posts about professional reviews and calibrations always show the standard color gamut being chosen. But admittedly I have not tried to play around with many of the options. What I DID spend a fair amount of time on was adjusting the RGB color and brightness settings (in the 2-point IRE settings area of the Expert Color Management settings), to basically turn down the G and B such that I no longer saw a green tinge in yellow, and also no longer saw a mild purplish/magenta cast to fleshtones. Basically I couldn't find an overall Tint setting that did both. Turning the Tint setting toward the red would make the yellows look better, but then fleshtones would look to pink/magenta. In the end, turning down both the G and B in the expert color management area seemed to accomplish both goals. But perhaps that is just for my particular set (or maybe just for ME!). I just rely on the Picture Wizard for the basic settings.

post #566 of 2485 Old 08-04-2011, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

WOW thanks so much. Never used amazon before. I just bought 2 monster ultra 1000 4' cables for $40. There $99 each at best buy!!!

And these $3.50 cables will work exactly the same
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #567 of 2485 Old 08-04-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by micksh View Post

And these $3.50 cables will work exactly the same
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

MonoPrice is an AVS sponsor. Look for their Logo at the top of the AVS page.

I have numerous interconnects, HDMI, Optical, HDMI splitters/switchers from Monoprice.
Their QC is outstanding, never a defective product and their pricing is unbeatable.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #568 of 2485 Old 08-04-2011, 04:06 PM

Installed LG LW6500 from Amazon yesterday. Was amazed with the supplied LG content examples, particularly the ones in the education section. My question is where to buy 3D movies that will play on the passive systems such as LG?

Have a PD3 playing through a Onkyo SR605 AVR, which I believe is HDMI 1.3, not 1.4 compliant. Need I bypass the Onkyo and feed the content directly to the LG?

Are all 3D movies capable of playing on either active or passive 3D systems?
post #569 of 2485 Old 08-04-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoche View Post

Are all 3D movies capable of playing on either active or passive 3D systems?

Yes.
post #570 of 2485 Old 08-04-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoche View Post

Have a PD3 playing through a Onkyo SR605 AVR, which I believe is HDMI 1.3, not 1.4 compliant. Need I bypass the Onkyo and feed the content directly to the LG?

Yes. My 65LW6500 arrives in the morning, and I just spent the evening rewiring everything to bypass my Onkyo SR806. It's a PITA, but I think it will be worth it in the end.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw6500 , Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page