LG PASSIVE LW6500 dedicated thread... - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2481 Old 08-26-2011, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
this site say that lg update new firmware of LW6500 for 1080i for one eye against 540p
is this firmware is 4.00.18 or not?
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1313938337
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2481 Old 08-27-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
That article's been up there for months.
post #723 of 2481 Old 08-28-2011, 07:49 PM

Well after a few more days with this TV I love it! I was a little concerned about some minor uniformity issues, but after loosening the screws on one side a little and doing the tapping/massaging method it looks great! Thank you guys who developed these techniques and shared them on here!

As a side note, I found a review of the 5600 that had calibration settings posted. As I had yet to find settings that I thought looked good on my television I decided to give them a try. I think they look amazing! I would definitely recommend people read the review as it's a good review and give the settings a try. http://www.hometheater.com/content/l...-hdtv-settings
post #724 of 2481 Old 08-28-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahler2 View Post

Well after a few more days with this TV I love it! I was a little concerned about some minor uniformity issues, but after loosening the screws on one side a little and doing the tapping/massaging method it looks great! Thank you guys who developed these techniques and shared them on here!
/lg-55lw5600-3d-lcd-hdtv-settings[/url]

I have to agree, was nervous at first because of some bleed. But using the methods it is almost perfectly uniform. I am buying my accident insurance right now after watching the tv all night (previously had a plasma that my 3 year old took out with a covert marble attack). LOVE IT!
post #725 of 2481 Old 08-29-2011, 11:44 AM

Can anyone speak of any lag with an Xbox 360 hooked up to this tv? I am looking at the 47 inch model and it is only a few bucks more than the 5600 version. I want to do gaming on this tv but was wondering about any lag.

Thanks,
post #726 of 2481 Old 08-29-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backofthepack View Post

Can anyone speak of any lag with an Xbox 360 hooked up to this tv? I am looking at the 47 inch model and it is only a few bucks more than the 5600 version. I want to do gaming on this tv but was wondering about any lag.

Thanks,

Well, a lot of people have complained about lag. You'll have to do a search in this thread and in the one in this forum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1319231 for solutions to that. I have the 55LW6500 and don't notice any lag with games on the 360 when using the game input. Maybe I'm lucky that my set doesn't have issues with this? I'm not sure.
post #727 of 2481 Old 08-29-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backofthepack View Post

Thanks,

There's actually lots of pretty useful info shared in this LW6500 thread. For lag, mchaney had a good post on this - http://httparchive2.avsforum.com/avs...1#post20815051

To fine tune, one can run Expert mode with 'Game' input label and manually turn off the items that add delay, while retaining local dimming (which I personally find nice to have) - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post20798016
post #728 of 2481 Old 08-30-2011, 05:52 AM

How do you calibrate the magic motion remote? Seems like I have to point off the screen or straight up in the air to get the cursor in the center of the screen.

Thanks!
post #729 of 2481 Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 AM

After a few weeks of ownership, this set just keeps getting better! There's still a hint of non-uniformity, mostly near the edges, but it's a non issue as you really have to have a white (or black) screen paused and really look for it. As for lag, been playing Halo Reach, Gears of War, and Black Ops on the Xbox 360. No sign of any lag (and I looked... hard). The key is that you must use the "Game" picture mode and be sure not to turn on ANY of the fluffly little processing options like the smoothing filters or even sharpening. Just leave them on defaults. Only thing you can turn on is super res. If you keep it like that: no lag at all. None discernible anyway. I have my audio set to 20ms delay so I guess there's a tiny hint of it: but there will be on any TV.

Mike
post #730 of 2481 Old 08-30-2011, 02:19 PM

Just placed my order at NFM over the phone. Locked in the promo price since it changes tonight at 9pm. Can't wait to pick it up and bring it home! The kids are gonna freak when they see Tangled in 3D!
post #731 of 2481 Old 08-30-2011, 02:58 PM

Is the 6500 worth the exstra coin over the 5600 can't find any direct comparisons

Thanks
post #732 of 2481 Old 08-30-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt21 View Post

Is the 6500 worth the exstra coin over the 5600 can't find any direct comparisons

Thanks

There are no direct comparisons strangely enough. Even at NFM the two TVs weren't anywhere close to each other. What got me to pull the trigger was the fact that they setup the 6500 with couches and a coffee table with a pile of glasses just sitting there for anyone to grab. The only open seat was a chair that was at least 150 degrees off center and the 3D effect was still amazing. Then I got to play with a 5600 on display at BB for about an hour tweaking the picture and just digging into all the different menus. The 5600 impressed me so much that I knew that the 6500 had to be at least that good. $300 just didn't seem like that much more. I mean the receiver I bought was twice that amount. Plus if you look at the dimensions the 6500 weighs a little bit more than the 5600 but has exactly the same inputs so I would like to believe that just maybe the circuitry is a little beefier. IMHO.
post #733 of 2481 Old 08-31-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been an owner of a 55" 5600 since April. On Friday, my son-in-law is taking delivery on a 47" 6500, which was on sale for only $100 more than the 47" 5600. I'll help him set it up, dial in some settings I use on my set, and maybe I'll notice some kind of difference. The only things different about them that LG publishes is a larger dynamic range for contrast and 240 Hz Tru Motion vs. 120 Hz.
post #734 of 2481 Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 PM

Well I just mounted the 55LW6500 on the wall and I've got the ghosting issues in the upper left and really bad in the lower right corners. It's definitely noticeable during anything with black bars. Not happy. Going to try the massage trick this weekend but if it doesn't work I will be calling tech support. Other than that the image is gorgeous. Even just using the wizard for color calibration I'm pretty happy. I didn't know an LCD could have blacks like this! Blows my Sharp LC52D62U clean out of the water. I'll test the 3D when I get the new receiver tomorrow.
post #735 of 2481 Old 08-31-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajleske View Post

I have found some cool Polaroid Premium 3D glasses online - only problem is they do not ship to Australia!

just received my "polaoid premium 3-D" glasses. They are very good!
got them from: " the3dmarket"
post #736 of 2481 Old 08-31-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frooky View Post

Well I just mounted the 55LW6500 on the wall and I've got the ghosting issues in the upper left and really bad in the lower right corners. It's definitely noticeable during anything with black bars. Not happy. Going to try the massage trick this weekend but if it doesn't work I will be calling tech support. Other than that the image is gorgeous. Even just using the wizard for color calibration I'm pretty happy. I didn't know an LCD could have blacks like this! Blows my Sharp LC52D62U clean out of the water. I'll test the 3D when I get the new receiver tomorrow.

Try light tapping on the areas with bleeding.
post #737 of 2481 Old 09-01-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt21 View Post

Thanks

Yes, I have tested both side by side at a local electronics store. Ended up getting the 6500 (55 inch). The 3D image looked better from every angle on the 6500. I only payed $200 more for it, which is the cost of taking the family to the movies a few times. The icing on the cake was that it looked better than the 5600 with an outer glass finish and a nice looking stand.
post #738 of 2481 Old 09-01-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbiotic View Post

Try light tapping on the areas with bleeding.

That worked for me. What I eventually found worked the best was to loosen ALL the screws on the back just a little (1/4 turn maybe) and then do the massage/tapping trick. Once you have all the kinks out and have it looking the best you can, tighten the screws nice and tight starting at the bottom and working your way to the top: tightening the top row of screws last. Doing that, I have a nice smooth picture now. The final tightening actually helped seal the deal. Only place I have a very slight amount of non-uniformity is on the bottom but I think that's probably always going to be there due to the stress on the bottom part of the set where the stand attaches to it.

Mike
post #739 of 2481 Old 09-02-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchaney View Post

That worked for me. What I eventually found worked the best was to loosen ALL the screws on the back just a little (1/4 turn maybe) and then do the massage/tapping trick. Once you have all the kinks out and have it looking the best you can, tighten the screws nice and tight starting at the bottom and working your way to the top: tightening the top row of screws last. Doing that, I have a nice smooth picture now. The final tightening actually helped seal the deal. Only place I have a very slight amount of non-uniformity is on the bottom but I think that's probably always going to be there due to the stress on the bottom part of the set where the stand attaches to it.

Mike

You know, I was all geared up to give this a shot when it occured to me that I've never paid $2000 for something I had to fix immediately after I got it. I called NFM and they're sending a new tv tomorrow. I've got 30 days to keep swapping them out until I find one that I can live with. If it goes beyond 30 days maybe then I'll give the massage a shot but it's unacceptable for a manufacturer's top of the line tv to be defective right out of the box.
post #740 of 2481 Old 09-02-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbull View Post

So I finished the picture wizard, not much to change, and the TV looks beautiful when watching anything and I ran the 3D through a quick test, AWESOME.

But while using my AppleTV I noticed some SERIOUS light bleeding issues with this set as well. After a quick peek here, I tried the "massaging" technique and the screw loosening technique. This is what I'm left with...

There's no WAY this is normal...

That is exactly what my TV looks like. Glad I'm getting it replaced tomorrow.
post #741 of 2481 Old 09-02-2011, 10:16 AM

Would anybody be interested in starting a serial number listing of which TVs are being returned to see if we can narrow down whether or not this was just a bad batch of TVs? Maybe we can determine what serial numbers to shoot for when purchasing/exchanging for a new one. Thoughts?
post #742 of 2481 Old 09-03-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:

You know, I was all geared up to give this a shot when it occured to me that I've never paid $2000 for something I had to fix immediately after I got it. I called NFM and they're sending a new tv tomorrow. I've got 30 days to keep swapping them out until I find one that I can live with. If it goes beyond 30 days maybe then I'll give the massage a shot but it's unacceptable for a manufacturer's top of the line tv to be defective right out of the box.

That thought entered my mind too, but I really don't think the set is defective, at least in my case. I always lay the TV screen down on a bed to install the stand. I think this puts stress in uneven spots on the screen and between that, picking it up to put it on it's perch, and stress during transit, I believe that there are just some stress points in the screen that just need to be worked out. It's difficult to keep good/even pressure on a thin sheet of plastic that size.

On mine, the only really noticeable problem was a ~10 inch "flashlight" that you could see in a dark room on a dark screen. I got rid of that completely with one wipe of the screen. The only reason I did the screw/massage thing is because I'm anal and seeing that it had some effect, I wondered if I could "optimize" it. I don't see that as something the average user would need to do... or even see! This is an edge lit LCD so you will always have some amount of bleed at the edges in a dark room on a dark scene. And I would never expect a 65 inch LCD to be perfectly uniform edge to edge and top to bottom even on brighter scenes. You can still see some very minor non-uniformity on "flat" scenes like a uniform blue sky. So for uniformity: Plasma: yes. LCD: no. It's just a tradeoff: the nature of the (LCD) beast.

Also, on the pictures above, looks like you are low and to the right of the set. When you are off center, the off-angle actually causes light bleed on some corners. When you evaluate light bleed, your head should be dead center of the set looking straight on.

Mike
post #743 of 2481 Old 09-03-2011, 04:46 PM

Well I just got the new tv up on the wall and it's night and day better. Yeah there's a little flash lighting as you would expect from an edge lit display but not near as drastic. Bear in mind that on the old tv, the LG boot up screen literally looked cloudy. Now there's just a little bit of light on the corners. Naturally my girls have commandeered the set but hopefully I will be able to update the firmware and calibrate it after they go to bed
post #744 of 2481 Old 09-04-2011, 07:57 AM

Alright here's my update... This new set rules! Couple of things: first the flashlighting was noticeably better before updating the firmware. However, using local dimming on high greatly alleviates the problem. Calibration was a snap using DVE. I set the color space to BT709, turned all the extra stuff off and just barely tweaked the red and green color and tint. It was almost perfect color right out of the box. I set brightness, contrast and backlight with local dimming off. The default settings for everything else was spot on. For 3-D I copied all of the settings but turned tru motion on full to alleviate blurring issues with background images. Tangled looked amazing in 3D!

Overall I'm very pleased with my exchange. Watching Return of the Jedi right now in 480p upscaled to 1080p on the PS3 and it looks great. Although technically it looks even better at native 480p The blacks are so inky it's amazing. Blows my dad's Sammy plasma out of the water!
post #745 of 2481 Old 09-04-2011, 05:00 PM

Local dimming... on an LW6500 set? Where is that setting?

Mike
post #746 of 2481 Old 09-05-2011, 04:47 AM

I have the 55Lw6500 hard wired to the tv and I have a 8mb internet speed. When I try to view titles of movies from Netflix or Amazon the tv does not load all the thumbnails. It may only show 1 or 2 thumbnails and it is really slow in doing that. Each page has 12 spots for thumbnails. If I move around the screen it will show the title of the movie but no picture in the thumbnail. I can start any video and it will play without buffering.
Just wondering how this works for you on your LG TV's and if this may be a problem with my tv.
Thanks to all.
post #747 of 2481 Old 09-05-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchaney View Post

Local dimming... on an LW6500 set? Where is that setting?

Mike

In the display settings at the bottom of the list right after Tru Motion. I know it's available on the two expert modes but I couldn't tell you if it's available on every AV mode.
post #748 of 2481 Old 09-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In the display settings at the bottom of the list right after Tru Motion. I know it's available on the two expert modes but I couldn't tell you if it's available on every AV mode.

one note on this - local dimming is NOT available on the 65LW6500
post #749 of 2481 Old 09-07-2011, 06:20 AM

Anyone having any issues with banding on the LW6500. I'm on my second Samsung D7000 and the banding is killing me I'm looking to switch to LG if it's better.
post #750 of 2481 Old 09-07-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmungerZA View Post

Anyone having any issues with banding on the LW6500. I'm on my second Samsung D7000 and the banding is killing me I'm looking to switch to LG if it's better.

One of the downsides with edge lit led displays is lack of uniformity in the backlighting. To truly get rid of banding you either need a full array of LEDs or a plasma. The LGs with local dimming edge lit LEDs are better than standard edge lit displays but if you read through the posts you will discover some people (myself included) struggling with flashlighting issues. My advice would be to purchase locally from somewhere with a solid return policy so you can keep exchanging sets until you get one that suits you. I am currently very pleased with my purchase. The Sharp LCD it replaced had horrible banding issues and motion blur from only being a 60hz set without 24fps processing capabilities. And the black levels on the LG are truly better than the Samsung plasma my dad just bought. When watching letterbox content, you do notice the black bars get lighter on occasion depending on what's happening on the screen but it's not distracting unless you're in a pitch black room.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw6500 , Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page