LG PASSIVE LW6500 dedicated thread... - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2483 Old 05-31-2011, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I read the 5600s will do 100Hz with the new algorithm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2483 Old 05-31-2011, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shingdaz View Post

Here a review about LG's LG 55LW5600 Passive 3D LCD display:

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/content...3d-flat-panels

QUOTE:

I must say that lots of 3D content I've seen on passive panels looks sharper than I would expect with the vertical resolution of only 540 lines. On the other hand, the 3D effect doesn't quite "jell" as completely as it does on active displays—it feels a bit discombobulated.

Ah, thank you so much shingdaz! A very informative review that totally sets my mind at ease regarding the question of whether or not the new 1080i algorithm works with 120Hz sets. The reviewers were using a 55LW5600 running an advance version of the 1080i algorithm firmware that most people hadn't seen yet. So, the answer is yes! No more worries about possibly missing out on a better 3D picture if you only buy one of the 120Hz models. Though they did mention that the new firmware created some degree of "vertical judder" over the original one, so I guess it's still to be determined how much of an actual PQ improvement it'll be.

Now if only someone would hurry up and market a 65" 4k2k passive tv or if Samsung would get their RealD RZD tv's going and solve all of 3D's problems!

*edit: I didn't mean to imply that the PQ between a 120Hz and 240Hz model would necessarily be identical....only that both should be capable of using the newer 1080i 3D algorithm. I haven't yet seen a LW6500 to make any comparisons.
post #183 of 2483 Old 06-01-2011, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw a clear improvement in 3d (blu-ray disc)on the 6500 model vs. 5600. I could see the lines people talk about on the 5600. I don't see any on the 6500 model.

Just watched RE afterlife 3D and Tron Legacy 3D. Very nice. Drive Angry arrives soon.
post #184 of 2483 Old 06-01-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

I saw a clear improvement in 3d (blu-ray disc)on the 6500 model vs. 5600. I could see the lines people talk about on the 5600. I don't see any on the 6500 model.

Just watched RE afterlife 3D and Tron Legacy 3D. Very nice. Drive Angry arrives soon.

Ihave the 55lw6500 and I don't see these lines either.

Joe V.
post #185 of 2483 Old 06-01-2011, 02:27 PM

Picked up the 55LW6500 from Paul's TV in Woodland Hills, CA on Monday. I had the LX9500 last fall but had to return it because I never could get used to the banding problem.

I'm pretty happy with this set and it is a keeper. :-)

If you hate TruMotion as much as I do, be aware that it defaults to ON. So I turned that off. I've also set the (pseudo) Local Dimming to HIGH. It makes a noticeable improvement, though of course the blacks aren't as deep as the LX9500's true local dimming mode.

The matte finish is perfect for me. The LX9500 was so glossy... I never could get my place dark enough to be reflection free. But the 6500 has no problem with reflections at all, day or night.

With the Local Dimming plus, I occasionally see some light bleed on the sides of the screen when the image is predominantly dark. (I saw it during the Watchmen Motion Comics opening titles which are over black, for example.) You won't see it over picture really. But it's pretty minor. I see very little to no corner flashlights when watching 2.35 content. At least not when the set is in Cinema mode and the room lights are dimmed.

I watched a lot of active 3D on the LX9500 as well as a couple of Samsungs where I work. After about two hours of active, I always
feel a splitting headache coming on. And with the 9500, my wife said she didn't want to see anything in 3D again because active immediately made her so uncomfortable. I also saw quite a bit of crosstalk on all of those sets.

Not so with the 6500. No crosstalk and no headaches and my wife loves it too. It's completely worth the reduction in resolution (still looks HD just softer) and the slightly visible horizontal lines (sitting 8 feet from the 55") to actually have 3D I will use. I play a lot of games and I'm looking forward to 3D games on this set.

brian
post #186 of 2483 Old 06-01-2011, 02:32 PM

Double Post
post #187 of 2483 Old 06-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeavdude View Post

Ah, thank you so much shingdaz! A very informative review that totally sets my mind at ease regarding the question of whether or not the new 1080i algorithm works with 120Hz sets. The reviewers were using a 55LW5600 running an advance version of the 1080i algorithm firmware that most people hadn't seen yet. So, the answer is yes! No more worries about possibly missing out on a better 3D picture if you only buy one of the 120Hz models. Though they did mention that the new firmware created some degree of "vertical judder" over the original one, so I guess it's still to be determined how much of an actual PQ improvement it'll be.

The model I saw (what ever model it was) was stunning, with no crosstalk at all> I couldn't notice artifacts or anything. They seem to have it going right.
post #188 of 2483 Old 06-01-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingdaz View Post

The model I saw (what ever model it was) was stunning, with no crosstalk at all> I couldn't notice artifacts or anything. They seem to have it going right.

Yep, I definetly agree. It'd be a total no-brainer to go with the Passive 3D tech if it weren't for the minor resolution loss. At this point, it's still a bit of a toss up between Passive and Active for me, but I think Passive will be the way of the future....and whichever company is the 1st to start selling 1080p full HD Passive tv's will corner the market 'til the others catch up.
post #189 of 2483 Old 06-01-2011, 07:14 PM

So I have been looking to get a new TV since last week. It has been driving me crazy.

I have narrowed the choices down to LG 55LW6500 and the Samsung UN55D6900. The thing that will make me decide between these two sets is the 2D picture quality.

Anyone can help with this?
post #190 of 2483 Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, I definetly agree. It'd be a total no-brainer to go with the Passive 3D tech if it weren't for the minor resolution loss. At this point, it's still a bit of a toss up between Passive and Active for me, but I think Passive will be the way of the future....and whichever company is the 1st to start selling 1080p full HD Passive tv's will corner the market 'til the others catch up.

I bet most people could not tell you what resolution it was. 3D Blu-rays look like
Blu-rays. Only If there was an A/B comparison could people tell the difference. And until there are 2k panels we won't know. Passive 3D looks fantastic with no artifacts on our display. I was prepared to be ho-hum about it but turned out to be the opposite. I wished we could have waited for a 2k panel, but am satisfied with current performance. After performing calibration the tv is much better. The backlighting leaves something to be desired though.
post #191 of 2483 Old 06-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

After performing calibration the tv is much better.

Could you post your settings for the 65LW6500?
post #192 of 2483 Old 06-02-2011, 02:25 AM

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1301662476

calibrated settings.

Picture preset: Expert1
Backlight 35
Contrast 90
Brightness: 50
V/H Sharpness: 50
Color: 50
Tint 0
Dynamic Contrast Off
Noise Reduction Off
Mpeg noise reduction Off
Super resolution Off
Black level Low
Real Cinema Off
Color gamut Standard
Edge enhancer Off
xvYCC Auto
Color filter Off
Color temperature Warm
RGB Method 2 points
R contrast 0
G contrast -2
B contrast 1
R brightness -7
G brightness 20
B brightness 5
TruMotion On/Off
LED local dimming Off
post #193 of 2483 Old 06-02-2011, 10:02 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejoko View Post
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1301662476

calibrated settings.

Picture preset: Expert1
Backlight 35
Contrast 90
Brightness: 50
V/H Sharpness: 50
Color: 50
Tint 0
Dynamic Contrast Off
Noise Reduction Off
Mpeg noise reduction Off
Super resolution Off
Black level Low
Real Cinema Off
Color gamut Standard
Edge enhancer Off
xvYCC Auto
Color filter Off
Color temperature Warm
RGB Method 2 points
R contrast 0
G contrast -2
B contrast 1
R brightness -7
G brightness 20
B brightness 5
TruMotion On/Off
LED local dimming Off
I have an LG 55LW5600, which is mostly the same set, and my comments on the above settings are that they are generally very good, but that I would recommend turning LED Local Dimming back on (at the High setting), after doing whatever calibration you are doing. The local dimming, while only having a small number of zones, due to the edge-lit panel, is still effective at improving the black level, at least under certain circumstances.

I am still undecided about Tru-Motion. Be aware that there is a User setting within Tru-Motion that lets you adjust de-judder and de-blur separately, although frankly I haven't played around enough with this.

The built in Picture Wizard does a good job at achieving decent settings. It came out fairly similar to the above settings in my case, although I have my backlight a tad higher (40), and contrast a tad lower (85). The results of Picture Wizard get saved as Expert mode 1. What I ended up doing was using expert mode 1 for my cable box input. I then use Expert mode 2 for my BD player input - I copied most of the settings from expert mode 1 into expert mode 2, but can then change a few things for movie watching. One thing I will possibly do is turn off Tru-Motion completely for content through the BD player, while leaving it on in some capacity for the cable box input.

Going into 3D mode seems to change a few things - I think the biggest difference is that the backlight is turned up considerably. It MAY be that you can adjust the 3D settings for a particular input separately (in other words, the 3D settings for my cable box would be based on that input's 2D settings, while the 3D settings for my BD player will be based on THAT input's 2D settings, plus, the 3D-differences will be separately settable for the two inputs), but I haven't played around with this, either.
post #194 of 2483 Old 06-02-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschleicher View Post
I have an LG 55LW5600, which is mostly the same set,
Going into 3D mode seems to change a few things - I think the biggest difference is that the backlight is turned up considerably. It MAY be that you can adjust the 3D settings for a particular input separately (in other words, the 3D settings for my cable box would be based on that input's 2D settings, while the 3D settings for my BD player will be based on THAT input's 2D settings, plus, the 3D-differences will be separately settable for the two inputs), but I haven't played around with this, either.
The 3D settings are unique for each input as well and should be calibrated while in 3D Mode. Press the Quick Menu and then set video to make 3D adjustments.

vegggas

Helpful Links
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #195 of 2483 Old 06-02-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

There are additional adjustments in isf section than is listed. Guess it depends on generator/software you use to calibrate.

I agree backlighting needs to be on and higher more so than lower.

Those settings are alright. Could be better but then again all panels are not guaranteed to be the same.
post #196 of 2483 Old 06-02-2011, 01:57 PM

I want to know about the 2D to 3D conversion:How is the picture converted to 3D and what it looks like once converted?
post #197 of 2483 Old 06-02-2011, 03:35 PM

Tempted by the 5600. Wondering if I'd be missing out on much by not getting the 6500. I understand the difference in their specs, but does that translate into an observable viewing difference?
post #198 of 2483 Old 06-02-2011, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompsonbrook View Post

Tempted by the 5600. Wondering if I'd be missing out on much by not getting the 6500. I understand the difference in their specs, but does that translate into an observable viewing difference?

In 3D yes. Also consider the 5600 is/will be discontinued, which means stopping production of replacement panels. If you're looking for potentially more longevity then I would suggest the 6500 series.
post #199 of 2483 Old 06-02-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoejgde View Post

I want to know about the 2D to 3D conversion:How is the picture converted to 3D and what it looks like once converted?

In HD it is quite nice. Watched Avatar 2D Blu-ray with conversion. I expected it to be terrible. I was pleasantly surprised. Cars Blu-ray converted to 3D looked Fantastic!

Of course you have to adjust the depth that you like. I took a still of Game of Thrones outside in a garden. You could see the tree expand in and out. With maximum depth it reminded me of ViewMaster. Obviously I adjusted it back to something reasonable. Not sure what it's set to now (12-17) I remember playing with that range. I would have to go back and look at the setting.

Standard Definition is a mixed bag. Wayne's World was on SD HBO and the 3D was not as noticeable. I put on Alice in Wonderland (Johnny D) on HBOHD and it looked excellent.

I would say that I would not watch all my shows in 3D. However; it is nice to have the feature when you're in the mood.
post #200 of 2483 Old 06-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In 3D yes. Also consider the 5600 is/will be discontinued, which means stopping production of replacement panels. If you're looking for potentially more longevity then I would suggest the 6500 series.

When did this happen? I was unaware that the 5600 line was being cancelled...
post #201 of 2483 Old 06-02-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post

When did this happen? I was unaware that the 5600 line was being cancelled...

Best buy is dropping them to make room for the 6500 model. At least that is what a magnolia salesperson stated. Said they were told they were being discontinued and they're selling off their remaining inventory. I made it clear I was not interested in the 5600 so there was no incentive to deceive me so that I would hurry and buy a 5600.
post #202 of 2483 Old 06-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In all fairness, I think LG probably should have then called it a 65LW5600, to be more upfront with their customers...or at least plastered it somewhere on/in the box or mentioned it in the manual since it's the only 6500 model that isn't 240Hz.

I've been doing some searching and you're right, it seems as though the 65" is only 120Hz. I don't understand why this tv would get the 240 snub when it is (for now) their flagship passive television. I'm both baffled and a little disappointed. As you stated, it may not make too much of a difference when applied in the real world, but at the current asking price it sure would be nice to at least have some specs other than size on your side.
post #203 of 2483 Old 06-02-2011, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

I've been doing some searching and you're right, it seems as though the 65" is only 120Hz. I don't understand why this tv would get the 240 snub when it is (for now) their flagship passive television. I'm both baffled and a little disappointed. As you stated, it may not make too much of a difference when applied in the real world, but at the current asking price it sure would be nice to at least have some specs other than size on your side.

Has anyone contacted LG for an official response?

Edit. Just went to LG.com. Put in 65LW6500 into top left search box, and presto. 65LW6500 indeed says 120Hz whereas the 55LW6500 is 240Hz. Hmmm I will try to find time to contact them to find out why. Perhaps one of their distributors will know why.
post #204 of 2483 Old 06-02-2011, 06:17 PM

I definitely prefer to have the local dimming on HIGH. It introduces some minor artifacts, but the contrast is so much better that it seems worth it to me.

And I assumed Real Cinema just means that it applies 5:5 pulldown to 24p BD sources. If so, turning it off means you're adding 3:2 pulldown and movies will look sticky.

Or is that not what Real Cinema means here?
post #205 of 2483 Old 06-02-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

I too am very disappointed- I had my eye on the 65lw6500 for a long time and thought this would be the best current passive tv available. Why call it a 6500 and not have the same basic features. I really wanted this set, but how can I justify paying 2k more for a 65" that does not have the same features as the 55". I wish I didn't currently have a 60" HDTV - I can't downsize. Is there no real demand for 60+ lcds ? I like BIG.
post #206 of 2483 Old 06-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddgabweg View Post

Is there no real demand for 60+ lcds ? I like BIG.

That's the question that I keep asking. I really want a nice 3D set that is at least 65", I'm not downsizing if I'm "upgrading".

Having recently begun shopping for a new set, it does seem to be the case. I am honestly surprised that 47" & 55" seem to be common in a series given that they are relatively close in size. Someone farther back in this thread asked about a 42", which had me thinking it would make more sense to do 42", 55", and 65". Of course the marketing and numbers guys behind major electronic giants know their segments so I must be wrong, but it is interesting.
post #207 of 2483 Old 06-02-2011, 08:52 PM

The 4 glasses that came in the box are model# AG-F110. I also purchase a extra set (2 glasses ) and they are model# AG-F200.

I noticed their is a small desgn change in the glasses, but is their any changes in the performace of the glasses. Did I get old ones in box. Just wondering
post #208 of 2483 Old 06-02-2011, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhjr View Post

The 4 glasses that came in the box are model# AG-F110. I also purchase a extra set (2 glasses ) and they are model# AG-F200.

I noticed their is a small desgn change in the glasses, but is their any changes in the performace of the glasses. Did I get old ones in box. Just wondering

You would be the best person to know. You have both models. Is one better than another? Materials? Form/structure? Picture quality? Glass or plastic?
post #209 of 2483 Old 06-02-2011, 08:58 PM

I wanted a LG 42" Passive but couldn't find one so i went with the TOSHIBA 42" Passive.
post #210 of 2483 Old 06-03-2011, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Has anyone contacted LG for an official response?

Edit. Just went to LG.com. Put in 65LW6500 into top left search box, and presto. 65LW6500 indeed says 120Hz whereas the 55LW6500 is 240Hz. Hmmm I will try to find time to contact them to find out why. Perhaps one of their distributors will know why.

I emailed LG and received the following reponse:

Thank you for contacting LG Electronics. I will gladly assist you with your inquiry.

The model 65LW6500 is 120 Hz and enclosed is the specification sheet for the television.

I hope the information on this message results helpful, and if you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email, or by calling our customer service division at 1-800-243-0000 at your convenience.

Virginia Q.
E-mail Administrator
LGEAI | Customer Interactive Center

The spec sheet that is dated 3/9/11 states 120hz.

Sorry I cannot attach the spec sheet since it exceeds the 500kb forum limit.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw6500 , Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page