LG PASSIVE LW6500 dedicated thread... - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 2480 Old 04-21-2012, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just happened today with our 65LW6500 - same fix too. This was the first time it happened though I've only owned the TV for a week - I'll report if it happens again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sje3156 View Post

The sound on my TV yesterday was just randomly cutting out I had to cut the TV off and back on to get the sound back. Has anybody had this, I'm wondering if its the update that hit the other day because of the other issues its had. I've got about 9 days left to send it back, I bought it used from amazon warehouse deals so there is no warranty and i want to send it back before times runs out if i need to. It hasn't done it yet today but it hasn't been on as long today either so...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2480 Old 04-22-2012, 09:49 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnisbe21 View Post

So how are you returning it to amazon for that tv? Got my 55lw6500 in oct. last year. What features of the new tv is justifying you wanting to replace?

Well just the newness of it, the thin bezel, and the 3d is supposed to be better with more depth adjustment. I went for it and sent it back so ill report back when i get the new one up and adjusted. I hope i didnt make a mistake the 6500 are really hard to get now and i really loved it (the PQ that is) but i figured LG wont go backwards in PQ and overall quality of there TVs i wouldnt think so anyways. We'll see come Wed. I only had the 6500 for about 3 weeks so thats how i was able to send it back.
post #2253 of 2480 Old 04-22-2012, 09:29 PM

my family is very pleased with the 65lw6500!! We have had this for about 3 weeks now, we have seen all types of video and sources, a few 3d movies, from nature to hollywood, and all, seen some sports on it, we love it!!

one question: Does anybody know how or if you can adjust 3D depth on this tv?? just out of the box the picture has been awesome, still have not unlocked the tweaks....
post #2254 of 2480 Old 04-23-2012, 03:03 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Well just the newness of it, the thin bezel, and the 3d is supposed to be better with more depth adjustment. I went for it and sent it back so ill report back when i get the new one up and adjusted. I hope i didnt make a mistake the 6500 are really hard to get now and i really loved it (the PQ that is) but i figured LG wont go backwards in PQ and overall quality of there TVs i wouldnt think so anyways. We'll see come Wed. I only had the 6500 for about 3 weeks so thats how i was able to send it back.

Well it certainly looks nicer but i have seen both side by side: PQ seems identical to me 2d and 3d , i have the 55" 6500 but i love the look of the new model would have got one but for the 1200 dollar price difference here in oz
post #2255 of 2480 Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 AM

Liked: 11
Hey lucky LG owners!
I've read this thread from beginning to end and learned SO much about the LG 65LW6500 (and the other TV's in the 6500 series) and I want to thank each and every one of you for helping me understand the pros and cons of this set which I am leaning toward purchasing. I definitely will be purchasing an LG passive as the active 3d sucks IMHO (sorry Robut) but that's just my personal taste. No flames please. I am down to either the 65LW6500 or the 65LM6200. I can't get very compelling data to make me spend the extra bucks on the 2012 model except for this review: http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm
This review mentions that in Q3 2011 LG started using "circular polarization" but then again so does the 65LW6500. I am a little confused but the review goes on to mention that last year's models are so "last year" and that the new LG passive 3d TV's REALLY set the bar for 3d in addition to the resolution upscaling and a couple other things. I haven't read the review in complete detail yet but read enough of it to be on the fence. HHGregg will get down in the $2400 range for the 65LM6200 (negotiating DOES work). Any 65LM6200 owners out there want to chime in? Anyone seen both sets side by side or own the 2011 model and been able to compare the two? I know Amazon (where I would likely buy the LW6500) has a 30 day return policy so I could buy it then run back to the store and compare them but any help you guys can offer on this would be MOST appreciated. Again, thanks for all the knowledge, I look forward to joining the club soon!

John

Home Theater Addict, Techno Geek, IT Guy and Miami Sports fan!
Here is the breakdown:
post #2256 of 2480 Old 04-23-2012, 08:45 AM

LG has been giving me the run-around on my crosstalk issue for months now, I've had 2 techs out here on numerous occasions to try and find a way to fix my issue that is keeping me from using the 3d on this. They won't replace the screen without the LG tech saying there's a problem with it, and he says the 3d is working in his opinion so there's no problem that would warrant a replacement screen. His logic on this is strange; since the 3d stops working when you're outside of the sweet viewing spot, and gets better at the right angle, then the 3d is 'working'. This is the same tech that asked if my glasses were the correct ones/had batteries in them...yep, definitely knows how to diagnose a passive sets issues.

The other tech that comes out can see the crosstalk, but LG refuses to send out anything but replacement mainboards to him. Fair enough, so we switched that out, resulting in no change to the issue. I contacted them again and all they are willing to do still is change out the mainboard again.
It's just frustrating to be months out and still not be able to enjoy the reason I bought this TV because the only tech that can get me a replacement is either misunderstanding the issue, or worse, has some sort of bias stemming from the fact that I might have annoyed him in the past trying to get him to fix the audio lag I was getting in rock band when I was still using the TV's sound output.
post #2257 of 2480 Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 AM

Just read some reviews on the LM series and WOW. I love my 55lw6500 snd would've gotten a 65" but Space was an issue for me. I'm jealous of the owners of the LM series, that tv is a Beaut.. May upgrade In a few months. But I am totally happy with my lw5500, but the tech junkie in me is soooo tempted to snatch up a 55LM6500. Better get my mortgage payment out now, would hate to explain to the wife why we are sitting outside watching such a beautiful tv. LOL
post #2258 of 2480 Old 04-23-2012, 09:09 PM

3d depth?

Is it possible to adjust 3d depth on these lw6500 sets? I could have sworn i read someone managed to do so, can anybody who knows chime in??
post #2259 of 2480 Old 04-24-2012, 01:11 PM

+1 on this one from a recent 65LW6500 owner. Using the forum posts I have enabled THX 3D Settings and used the password (8741) to allow changing of THX settings but my 3D Depth setting n the 3D Mode Setting dialog box remains greyed out - ideas?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinclouds View Post

3d depth?

Is it possible to adjust 3d depth on these lw6500 sets? I could have sworn i read someone managed to do so, can anybody who knows chime in??

post #2260 of 2480 Old 04-24-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinclouds View Post

3d depth?

afaik, only in 2d to3d conversion,in all other modes the setting is greyed out anyone else have anny comments on this??
post #2261 of 2480 Old 04-24-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdetail View Post

afaik, only in 2d to3d conversion,in all other modes the setting is greyed out anyone else have anny comments on this??

I know that whatever settings you use in the 2D>3D mode, they remain in-place during 3D mode, even though the option is greyed out

post #2262 of 2480 Old 04-25-2012, 09:34 AM

Hey there,
I've had and loved this tv since last august, but have had one issue I cannot seem to fix.
Whenever a scene goes from normal lighting to dark, or even lower light to darker, and then back to normal, the dimming/brightness jump is extremely sudden,
to the point of being jarring. U can see the backlighting jumping up and down basically.
I dont know if this is something that cant be fixed, or if its just a minor setting change.
Ive tried playing with the auto-dimming and black levels but didnt notice any difference.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Id greatly appreciate any tips!
Thanks
post #2263 of 2480 Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 AM

I am ready to make my purchase. Our local HHGregg seems to want to negotiate and if I can get a deep enough discount I will take home a 65LM6200. If not, I'll order a 65LW6500 from Amazon. Just renewed my prime membership but don't see a "white glove" option for delivery. Any further thoughts on the 65LW6500 vs 65LM6200 comparison? As far as I can tell from reviews and scouring the Internet, the new features that the LM6200 has over the LW6500 are:
  • resolution upscaler
  • dual gaming (didn't someone have a hack to allow this on LW6500?)
  • thinner bezel
  • 3 lbs lighter
  • newer flash support
  • enhanced magic wand remote
  • minor improvements in 2d to 3d conversion
  • 6 pairs of new style 3d glasses
  • WiDi support (wireless display technology)
  • built in wifi (means nothing to me as I'll hardwire mine)

but there are a couple things about the LW6500 that I like better which are:
  • more component/composite ports (2 vs 1)
  • the ability to hack and customize via service menu
  • this dedicated thread
  • from what I've read here and in reviews, very few problems and none major.

The differences aren't nearly enough to convince me to spend an extra $700 ($2289 vs $2999 on Amazon).

I guess what's meant to be will be...wish me luck!

Here is the breakdown:
post #2264 of 2480 Old 04-25-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea4life View Post

Hey there,
I've had and loved this tv since last august, but have had one issue I cannot seem to fix.
Whenever a scene goes from normal lighting to dark, or even lower light to darker, and then back to normal, the dimming/brightness jump is extremely sudden,
to the point of being jarring. U can see the backlighting jumping up and down basically.
I dont know if this is something that cant be fixed, or if its just a minor setting change.
Ive tried playing with the auto-dimming and black levels but didnt notice any difference.

Thanks

Have you tried turning off Energy Saving?
post #2265 of 2480 Old 04-26-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea4life View Post

Hey there,

Thanks

My mother has a 47LW5000 and this bothered her, as well. I eventually got rid of it by turning off "LED Local Dimming" in the picture adjustment menu (why they bother including this on televisions without full-array backlighting is beyond me). Disney's 'Rapunzel' triggers this LED blooming more than any other Blu-Ray I tried, although most had it every once in a while during rapid transitions from bright to dark scenes, as you said.
post #2266 of 2480 Old 04-26-2012, 07:00 AM

Well, I wanted to be right where the 6500 was price-wise ($2289) but HHGregg was able to get me down to $2450 for the 65LM6200 so I pulled the trigger! I wonder if the LW6500 standard remote will work with it? I can program my Harmony remote to function as the standard remote as well as to enter the service menu. Has anyone here tried the LW6500 service menu procedure on an LM6200? Just curious. I still think the 6500 is a dynamite set but since this TV will be our main TV for the next 5 years or more I figured I'd like to go with the latest and greatest for an extra $250 (after warranty and all). I wasn't willing to pay an extra $700 for the 2012 model but $250 seemed worth it. Thanks for all the knowledge guys!!

John

Here is the breakdown:
post #2267 of 2480 Old 04-26-2012, 10:49 AM

does anyone here know if there is a menu option in your 65LW6500's called "Super Resolution"? Thanks...

Here is the breakdown:
post #2268 of 2480 Old 04-26-2012, 04:27 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott70 View Post

does anyone here know if there is a menu option in your 65LW6500's called "Super Resolution"? Thanks...

Yes. This is right out of the manual.

"Super Resolution - Provides a crystal-clear picture by improving the details in an area that has a blurry or unclear picture".
post #2269 of 2480 Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewar View Post

I have now succeeded in using the Service Menu Explorer (I didn't have wifi turned on on my Android cell phone) but it has caused a problem: the list of inputs has lost most of its choices. I can not longer select hdmi imputs or AV inputs because they are no longer on the list. My list of inputs only shows TV, USB 1 & 2, and DLNA network. How can I restore my full list of inputs?

I was careful to change only the few things labelled safe in the forum and have searched but can't find any place in the parts of the service menu I can now access where there is a place to turn on/off more inputs. So while I have not bricked it, I have access only to Youtube and LG programming but not the things I really want to watch. Any help will certainly be appreciated
Thank you.

Hey I too got the service menu app but its asking me for an authorization code and i can't find it. Can you or someone please help me out cause I just paid $6.55 for this damn app, maybe it my tablet cause its showing that a code should be poping up on the screen of the TV but its not I have try it on my 55lw6500 and my 55lm6700 and neither one is showing it so please help me oit. Thanks...
post #2270 of 2480 Old 04-27-2012, 08:53 AM

I was able to program my Harmony 880 with the remote from the LW6500 and the LM6200. I like the Magic Wand remote but I prefer a standard remote for alot of technical type configuration. I was also able to add the service menu button which when pressed will bring up the password entry window that requires a 4 digit pin to enter the service menu. I have tried the codes for the LW6500 and they don't work. Has anyone been able to enter the service menu in the LM6200 sets? Any suggestions on codes to try? I want to be able to configure and hack this set the way the LW6500 has been done. Thanks!

Here is the breakdown:
post #2271 of 2480 Old 04-27-2012, 12:21 PM

Brucewar did u by any chance change any default numbers under tool options in Ez adjust settings? If so that would definitely disable done of your inputs. I should know, I accidentally did it a couple weeks ago . Fortunately one of our forum members had taken photos of the default numbers in the service menu .... Hope it helps

Attachment 244818

Attachment 244819

Attachment 244820
LL
LL
LL
post #2272 of 2480 Old 04-27-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Hey I too got the service menu app but its asking me for an authorization code and i can't find it. Can you or someone please help me out cause I just paid $6.55 for this damn app, maybe it my tablet cause its showing that a code should be poping up on the screen of the TV but its not I have try it on my 55lw6500 and my 55lm6700 and neither one is showing it so please help me oit. Thanks...

try 0413
post #2273 of 2480 Old 04-29-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:

I am ready to make my purchase. Our local HHGregg seems to want to negotiate and if I can get a deep enough discount I will take home a 65LM6200. If not, I'll order a 65LW6500 from Amazon. Just renewed my prime membership but don't see a "white glove" option for delivery. Any further thoughts on the 65LW6500 vs 65LM6200 comparison? As far as I can tell from reviews and scouring the Internet, the new features that the LM6200 has over the LW6500 are:
  • resolution upscaler
  • thinner bezel
  • 3 lbs lighter
  • newer flash support
  • minor improvements in 2d to 3d conversion

• this dedicated thread

The differences aren't nearly enough to convince me to spend an extra $700 ($2289 vs $2999 on Amazon).

i payd 1200 for mine at visions lw 6500 id shop around more
post #2274 of 2480 Old 04-29-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:

• resolution upscaler
  • thinner bezel
  • 3 lbs lighter
  • newer flash support
  • minor improvements in 2d to 3d conversiony

• this dedicated thread

Well I just want to say I just sent back my 55lw6500 for the 55lm6700 and all I can say is "I WANT MY LW6500 BACK" the picture quality is better on the low and the 3d is better. You cannot adj the true motion at all can u access the thx settings in the service menu. I have tried everything but I just cannot get the PQ near as good looking. Yea this is a beautiful TV but the 3d and pq IMO just ain't as good.
Edit: OK I need to add to this I made the lm6700 sound horrable, its really not that bad it does have a very good picture its just not as good as the lw6500 to me and not being able to adj the thx modes and true motion kinda was a buzz kill. All and all the lm6700 is very beautiful and it does have a really nice picture I just liked the picture of the lw a little more I have only had it for 4 days so maybe I haven't gotten use to it yet I had trouble with the lw at first too till I got it dialed in so if you have the lm in mind don't let me scare u I plan on keeping it but if you already have the lw6500 I say keep it.
post #2275 of 2480 Old 04-30-2012, 03:45 AM

no code to enter the service menu on the lm series yet????????
post #2276 of 2480 Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I gave the Skype a test drive this weekend and its a pretty cool feature. If you video Skype the addtional money for the camera is worth it.
post #2277 of 2480 Old 04-30-2012, 10:53 PM

Could someone please explain the tru motion. And what happens if I set the "De-judder" all the way up or all the way down. And same with De-Blur. Should one be higher than the other or both low/high. Also which set up will give it the "soap opera effect"?
post #2278 of 2480 Old 04-30-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcortese0288 View Post

Could someone please explain the tru motion. And what happens if I set the "De-judder" all the way up or all the way down. And same with De-Blur. Should one be higher than the other or both low/high. Also which set up will give it the "soap opera effect"?

Great question!
post #2279 of 2480 Old 05-01-2012, 07:16 AM

I know this is a LW6500 thread but I was able to get into the service menu of the 65LM6200 with the 0413 code but most of the options are greyed out including THX and THX 3d which are both set to off by default. Not sure how to "un-grey" them except maybe a different 4 digit pin meant for this year's model. How does it work in the LW6500? Do you just navigate as you would any other menus with the up/down/left/right and OK? Thanks guys!

Here is the breakdown:
post #2280 of 2480 Old 05-01-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdetail View Post

no code to enter the service menu on the lm series yet????????

0413 works but many of the options are greyed out. Maybe there are specific key presses or buttons to use to navigate? Not sure...

Here is the breakdown:
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw6500 , Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page