VIP 3D-Theatre with HD66 Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 78 Old 04-06-2011, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will the 3D displayer work on my 42 inch 60hz LCD TV ? I do plan on buying a HD66 in the future but I would like to Purchase the 3D displayer soon so i could do some 3D gaming on my PS3. If the 3D displayer could make my 42 inch LCD display 3D content that would be amazing , thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 78 Old 04-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

I have a 3D emitter that I use with my Mits TV. Could I plug the Mits emitter into this VIP-3D and have it sync with my Samsung glasses? I have 6 pairs of samsung glasses and would hate to have to go buy new glasses.
post #33 of 78 Old 04-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Would this work with an Optoma HD86 ( aka HD8600 ) ?

We have 50Hz in Australia, rather than 60Hz, but there's no problem running 1080/60p from the PS3.

Thanks in advance...
post #34 of 78 Old 04-22-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
G'day Electric, I asked this same question of VIP and this is what I received....

I reckon you would be better off purchasing our 3D-Displayer. I am attaching the specs listed in the product flyer. 3D-Displayer should work for your purposes.
Here is how you may go about acquiring one:

We will have 3D Theatre/3D-Displayer in stock in the first week of April.
3D-Theatre: $499.00 (Games, Movies, Satellite/Cable & Internet and 60Hz/120Hz TV/projector)
3D-Displayer: $299.00 (Games and Movies & 60Hz/120Hz TV/projector)
IR emitter glasses with emitter: $129.00 (each additional glasses without the emitter are at $99.00)
DLP Link glasses: $70.00
5V - 1.0A wall connector is at $15.00 (if required, the units come with USB cable)

Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 4:27 PM
To: info@3d-vip.com
Subject: Will these units work for 50hz?

Hi there,
I am an Aussie that has imported a Mitsubishi HC 6800 LCD projector from the usa. I use an Aussie version ps3 as my 3d source which works fine when playing American 3d discs on my samsung 3d plasma. To my understanding the 3d movies are not region coded at this point. When playing the movies the display says 1920 x 1080 60hz. However I also want to watch 3d on my projector. Will your unit operate with the Mitsubishi projector? Will you ship to Australia and if I buy local 3d movies and they are in 50hz will the unit work for these?
I am really only interested in movies, HDTV and gaming. What is the price with emitter and suitable glasses?
Thanks
Greg
Australia

Hope that helps mate. I have taken out the payment info etc so that this doesn't read like an ad. Looks like it may be a goer for over here. I buy all my blurays from the USA anyway so 60hz would be displayed.
Good luck
Greg

Follow my thread here
post #35 of 78 Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The review is great and I think the price is too good to be true.

So am I reading this right? Sorry if the questions are dumb.
1. Does this device down convert 1080P to 720P?
2. My projector (W5000 DLP) will happily run 1080/60P in 2D. Will I get 30fps/eye in 3D?
Q1 is the deal breaker for me. I didn't buy into 1080 to watch 720.
If not, then I am down the expensive route for 3D.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #36 of 78 Old 05-05-2011, 09:04 AM

First off thanks to "gotchacoverd" and other posters out there who posted their feedback on the internet about the 3D-VIP Theater product and the Optoma HD66 projector. If it wasn't for you all, I would have been hesitant in pursuing my dream setup; considering that I have been sitting on the fence for the last 5 years. A special thanks to Jonathan Alexander at VIP for his excellent customer service and his support throughout my endeavor. Understandably he is a very busy man when you consider how beneficial and popular the 3d-vip features are for people who have already invested huge sums of money in a non 3d setup but would like to pursue 3-D capabilities in the future. My family and friends are very much a fan of the proliferation of 3D after having experienced it in my living room on a 120" screen. And I very much look forward to the cost of 3-d content reducing due to the 3-d hardware proliferation.

So if you too are sitting on the fence you may want to consider what I have done as well, and like me you may decide it's time.

So recently I have setup the above configuration in my living room.
1. Optoma HD 66 projector and 25ft hdmi cable from Amazon
2. Pioneer VSX-1021-K with Sony 5.1-Ch. SAVS310 Speakers
3. 3-D VIP Theater with 2 active DLP link glasses.
4. PS3
5. Super Stardust HD game on PS3.
6. A few BlueRay 3d Movies, e.g. Tron Legacy, Tangled 3D etc.
7. Awaiting 3D television content to become available in my market.

After setting everything up it was nothing short of amazing, we may not have flying cars yet but we are definitely in the future in terms of HD 3-D movie viewing and games.
There were a few tweaks that have to be made when viewing on a DLP projector with 3D content for syncing the 3d but this is a minor inconvenience. Most of the time the sync is correct, such as the content that should be in the foreground etc is. When it is not I just flip the 3D invert switch on the HD66 projector menu. It's not so hard.
As far as viewing the 3d content using the 3d-Theatre product, it works very well (no ghosting etc). I am not using the IR emitter as I have a DLP projector and I am using the DLP link functionality of the HD66 projector. However I don't have a reason to use the 3-d vip product on a non DLP projector setup at this time. So If you want to be able to move the 3d-vip gear from one setup to the next regardless of the hardware you have I recommend getting the IR-emitter plug-in. If my non DLP link requirements change in the future then I will buy the IR-emitter.
I will follow this up this post with my HD66 projector settings for any one who is interested.
post #37 of 78 Old 05-08-2011, 11:35 AM

This will be another oe of those annoying questions but I just ordered an HD66 projector for my setup and am considering the 3D VIP as well.

I am a bit confused which one I need and if it needs a PC to power it via USB?

I will be running HDMI from my Ps3 to the 3D VIP, to my Yamaha receiver for audio, then to my HD66 projector. I want this for 3D movies and games on my PS3. I seriously doubt my cable provider (shaw cable) will be airing 3D content anytime soon..or if my cable PVR can ouput 3d.

As I plan to just watch 3d Blu Rays from my PS3 and games, which VIP would be best for me? If I understand correct I need to order the VIP, a transmitter and glasses, then a second pair of glasses. Just did some reading..looks like I need the radio transmitter and glasses...or if I only want to use the Optoma HD 66 I don't need that as 3D link is built in? Then which glasses do I choose?

I am now wondering if I had to replace my projector at all? I am currently using a Panasonic Ae900 LCD projector with 1000 hours on it. Would it have worked with 3D?

Sorry guys..this is ALL new to me and I can't do much reading as I have the kids here with me today...and they are NOISY!

Check out my Blog to see what I am working on in my basement now....http://artood2fett.blogspot.com/
post #38 of 78 Old 05-08-2011, 04:54 PM

From my research I will try to help you where I can. I am not affiliated with VIP in any way. I am a satisfied customer though.

My ultimate setup is based on the DLP LINK feature ONLY of a 3d capable projector (hd-66) with the 3d-vip unit. (more later about this).

But like you I have spent way too many hours trying to piece together all the information about how to use the 3d-vip units and whether to put together a flexible solution(moveable) or not (fixed).
It is my understanding that the 3d-vip units can work with NON 3d compliant TVs and projectors by using a separate IR emitter(that plugs into the 3d-vip unit itself) and communicates the sync signal to 3d-vip IR glasses). There is a DIP switch on the back of the 3d-vip unit that selects either 120hz (default) or 60 hz so that you can use it on a variety of HD TV sets/projectors. I have not personally tested this but believe it is possible.

The unknowns here are really regarding any latency overhead that would delay the processing of a HDMI signal by the VIDEO device. This is important because the IR-emitter may be sending the 3d sync info to the IR glasses but if the HD TV has a high latency producing the images then there might be an issue. Someone really needs to put together a comparison table somewhere of all the 2D HD TVs and projectors made in the last three years and test whether this is an issue or not. From what I have seen on You tube videos and other site it doesn't seem to be.

I however decided to go with the HD-66 DLP-LINK solution (non IR-emitter route). You have the flexibility to go another route if you wish as 3d-VIP solution gives you that flexibility.

Q: I am a bit confused which one I need and if it needs a PC to power it via USB?

Answer: I bought a cheap usb wall charger from radio shack. don't sweat it.

Q: I will be running HDMI from my PS3 to the 3D VIP, to my Yamaha receiver for audio, then to my HD66 projector. I want this for 3D movies and games on my PS3. I seriously doubt my cable provider (shaw cable) will be airing 3D content anytime soon..or if my cable PVR can ouput 3d.

A: From what I have seen there is a huge amount of confusion about this, but this is what is all boils down to: Does your receiver/PVR have a hdmi input that supports (hdmi 1.4a) standard?
It either does or it doesn't. Otherwise known as hdmi 3D pass through. The receiver I bought came out in 2011 and had support for hdmi 1.4a out of the box. If your receiver is a few years old I would say it probably doesn't. No worries though.

The PS3 and 3d Bluray players support hdmi 1.4a. We don't want to lose the 3d information sent from these devices but if you use any non hdmi 1.4a device between the 3d player/ 3d game console and the 3d-VIP unit then then signal will be downgraded to hdmi 1.3 before being processed by the 3d-VIP unit.

The the sole purpose of the 3d-VIP unit is to convert the hdmi 1.4a 3d signal into a signal with sequential processed 3d data so that your TV/PROJECTOR unit can display the 3d signal correctly in sync with the active glasses.

If your DVR and receiver both supports hdmi 1.4a. Then connect it this way.

PS3 --> receiver --> 3d-VIP unit --> 60hz/120hz Projector or other 60/120hz capable TV.
DVR --> receiver --> 3d-VIP unit --> 60hz/120hz Projector or other 60/120hz capable TV.

If your DVR and receiver DO NOT support hdmi 1.4a. Then connect it this way.

PS3 --> input rocketfish hdmi splitter output a. -->
____________rocketfish hdmi splitter output b. -->
output a. --> 3d-VIP unit --> 60hz/120hz Projector or other 60/120hz capable TV.
output b. --> receiver.

DVR --> input rocketfish hdmi splitter output a. -->
output a. --> 3d-VIP unit --> 60hz/120hz Projector or other 60/120hz capable TV.
output b. --> receiver.

Q: As I plan to just watch 3d Blurays from my PS3 and games, which VIP would be best for me? If I understand correct I need to order the VIP, a transmitter and glasses, then a second pair of glasses. Just did some reading..looks like I need the radio transmitter and glasses...or if I only want to use the Optoma HD 66 I don't need that as 3D link is built in? Then which glasses do I choose?

A1. Well as you are getting the HD-66 you will definitely want to use the 3D DLP-LINK feature of the projector. (The projector communicates with DLP compliant CHEAPER Active glasses via the projection screen to keep the 3d image that is projected in snyc with the glasses). I liked this so went this route.
The alternate is a slightly more expensive route because it requires the IR-Emitter and IR compliant Active glasses. (If you buy the more expensive IR-emitter and IR glasses with the 3d-vip unit then you can use them on other TV/projectors not just DLP projectors. I only planned to use mine with the HD-66 DLP projector.

A2. Ok here is how I saw it when comparing the 3d-vip units.

3d-gamer : PS3 3d games only
3d-displayer : PS3 3d games, PS3 Bluray 3d Movies and/or Bluray 3d Players
3d-Theater : PS3 3d games, PS3 Bluray 3d Movies and/or Bluray 3d Players + All 3d Cable/Satellite provider supported broadcasts.

All three of these 3d-vip units will pass through a 2D signal which means if you still want to watch 2d HD TV, 2d HD Blueray or 2d DVD movies/content you can as the 3d-vip unit will pass through the signal with no 3D processing.

Q: I am now wondering if I had to replace my projector at all? I am currently using a Panasonic Ae900 LCD projector with 1000 hours on it. Would it have worked with 3D?

A1. Interesting question. If you buy the more expensive 3d-vip IR-emitter/IR-glasses setup with the 3d-vip unit then I believe you could have. Would the quality of the 3d have been different? Not sure. The problem is is that there has been no formal review of the 3d-vip units AND IT'S CONFIGURATIONS on the net, I could be wrong so don't flame me. If you find it please let me know as my friends will be interested in it.

A2. I think once you get the HD-66 setup right with either the more expensive IR/DLP active glasses (they have DLP compatibility also built in) or the non-IR DLP only active glasses. You will be a very happy camper.
There are a lot of people who recommend the HD 66 and I agree with them.
I have two user profiles on the projector one for viewing 3d using the glasses (USER1) and one for regular 2d stuff (USER2). The USER1 profile is brighter to compensate for the reduction in brightness while wearing the 3d active glasses.

USER1 profile:
Brightness: 38
Contrast: 90
Sharpness: 31
Degamma: Video
BrilliantColorTM: 10
Color Temp: Warm
3D: DLP-Link
3D Sync Invert: On/Off Depends if foreground image is in background or not, you decide. When ever I change from PS3 3D game to Bluray 3d movie I have had to change this back and forth. A minor inconvenience when using DLP. I have read if you go the IR-Emitter route with the IR glasses then you do not need to use the 3D options on this projector. The IR-emitter handles the sync etc.

USER2 profile:
Brightness: 43
Contrast: 60

Projector Setup -- Options
Source Lock : On (I only use hdmi)
Background: black (I think this is important and you will too.)

I am constantly playing with these settings to get them as close to a universal setting for all the content I watch. :-)

I hope this helps.
post #39 of 78 Old 05-09-2011, 09:37 AM

Wow Indiana...thank youy for taking the time to write all that!!!

I did order the VIP Theater and 2 pairs of glasses yesterday. Jay from Consignia answered my emails and cleared up the DLP Link. I agree that's the cheaper and likely best quality solution for me, just means this setup stays where it is with the Optoma HD66.

I'll TRY to use my audio receiver but I suspect it will be a problem. It is about 4 years old so the HDMI switching will likely NOT pass along the HDMI 1.4 to my projector. I'll try it of course but I think for now I'll just have to use optical for my sound. Shame as I JUST discovered PCM sound via HDMI and LOVE it! The HDMI splitter sounds like a great idea..but I have WAY overextended the finances on this already!

Jay alos said my PS3 should work to power the VIP Theater (via USB). Yes..if not I'll grab a wall adapter.

Thanks for your Projector settings. I'll save this page so I can refer to it once things arrive!

I am a little concerned about the length of my monoprice HDMI cable that goes to my projector. I was thinking worst case..I can move the PS3 next to the projector and then I just have to worry about getting my audio back to the receiver at the front of my room...I'd need an HDMI splitter for that..or a LONG optical cable. This would likely give me the best 3d performance tho.

Can't wait for this to arrive! Now the hard part..finding (AFFORDING) 3d blu ray movies and games.

Check out my Blog to see what I am working on in my basement now....http://artood2fett.blogspot.com/
post #40 of 78 Old 05-09-2011, 11:19 AM

Yea, good idea about the PS3 usb slot to power the 3d-VIP unit, props to Jay. My usb ports however are fully utilized by the Rock Band ,guitar hero setup etc and the G25 setup so I kind of had to utilize a wall charger.

I used a 25ft hdmi cable from Amazon from projector to 3d-VIP.
A 3ft hdmi cable from the 3d-vip unit to the receiver.
A 3ft hdmi cable from the receiver to the PS3.
31ft total of hdmi cable. I thought I was pushing my luck too. But it works. I tested with Rockband and Guitar hero for latency issues. Surprise I didn't have to calibrate.

Amen about the affording the 3D content. Hopefully by end of next year the cost of 3D content will come down when more people learn about the 3d-VIP units :-) or 3D compatible TV units come down in price. In the meantime services like VUDU are great as they allow you streams 3D movie content (for a fee ofcourse) and there are the free 3D game demos on the PSN STORE (when it finally comes back up that is).

I agree the hdmi PCM sound is really cool if your receiver can handle it. The optical cable from the PS3 will work just as well from my experience. But if you can get it; use the hdmi splitter.
post #41 of 78 Old 05-10-2011, 11:51 PM

if anyone has the casio xj-a130 pj the displayer works great with 20000 hr on the light source it has to be good
post #42 of 78 Old 05-13-2011, 11:00 PM

Well my HD66 projector and VIP theater arrived today and I have had no luck getting it to work.

I am playing a HD MPG file (SBS) I downloaded as I don't yet have a 3d Blu Ray.

I admit I'm using 5 year old monoprice HDMI cables but I really didn't think that was going to be an issue. I hooked it up at the front of my room and had the VIP output run direct to the projector..but as as soon as I pressed the button on the VIP I lost the signal. Nothing. I then moved my PS3 to sit up in the shelf right beside my projecotr, used a shorter monoprice HDMI cable..and another HDMI that probably isnt the greatest but it's ony 3' long. NOTHING. I switched them around so the shorter cable went from the PS3 to the VIP..and same result.

I get a perfectly fine picture as side by side but as soon as I press the P1 button on the VIP the signal is gone and I get nothing.

I am very reluctant to start buying mew cables as I have spent a lot on this already and I don't feel like losing more money with no guaranteed results.

post #43 of 78 Old 05-14-2011, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankey01 View Post

Well my HD66 projector and VIP theater arrived today and I have had no luck getting it to work.

I am playing a HD MPG file (SBS) I downloaded as I don't yet have a 3d Blu Ray.

I admit I'm using 5 year old monoprice HDMI cables but I really didn't think that was going to be an issue. I hooked it up at the front of my room and had the VIP output run direct to the projector..but as as soon as I pressed the button on the VIP I lost the signal. Nothing. I then moved my PS3 to sit up in the shelf right beside my projecotr, used a shorter monoprice HDMI cable..and another HDMI that probably isnt the greatest but it's ony 3' long. NOTHING. I switched them around so the shorter cable went from the PS3 to the VIP..and same result.

I get a perfectly fine picture as side by side but as soon as I press the P1 button on the VIP the signal is gone and I get nothing.

I am very reluctant to start buying mew cables as I have spent a lot on this already and I don't feel like losing more money with no guaranteed results.

What resolution are you outputting for the sbs file? The Theatre accepts: 1080i60, 1080i50, 1080p24, 1080p30, 720p60, 720p50, 720p30.

Also, note that the P1 button cycles through auto - force SBS - force TnB. Make sure you give it time to fully sync.
post #44 of 78 Old 05-14-2011, 06:42 AM

I can't see where I can set the output resolution in my Ps3...been through the settings a few times. The file is 1920 x 1080 I believe (SBS). I have tried a couple of different ones but no luck. I just powered up the PS3 several times by holding the button down and powering up to where it detects the projector, but no luck. I have tried to play a couple different files in 1080p and 720p. They both play just fine until I press the P1 button..then its all gone..no singal.

The VIP powers on..all lights go on, then I see the SBS image. I pressed P1 once and waited (10 minutes so far this time) and the projector is getting no signal. The 'Link' button on the VIP seems to go on and off which may mean I need better cables? May be obvious but with no instructions I'm lost on the dark.

Do I have to fiddle with the little switches on the VIP?

post #45 of 78 Old 05-14-2011, 08:30 AM

Well...I tried many times and as I was just about to give up and go buy new HDMI cables I pulled the USB power cable from the VIP and the connection fell off inside!!!!

I have emailed Jay at consignia to see about returning all of this. Seems it was a mistake that I can't afford anyways.

2d for me.

post #46 of 78 Old 05-15-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Well...I tried many times and as I was just about to give up and go buy new HDMI cables I pulled the USB power cable from the VIP and the connection fell off inside!!!!

I have emailed Jay at consignia to see about returning all of this. Seems it was a mistake that I can't afford anyways.

2d for me.

Alot of people are having problems with the VIP products I hear. You should just get a 3d-xl they are available at places to ship now.
post #47 of 78 Old 05-15-2011, 09:03 PM

Jay will be sending me a replacement ASAP so I'l give it another shot. If it doesn't work I'll have to wait it out for a 3d-XL I guess.

Just a footnote..went over to a buddy's last night with a 3dtv and Blu Ray player and tried all my cables that I was trying at home...just normal HDMI cables, not labeled "high speed" or "3d". All the cables (which are 5' or less) worked perfect. My buddy wasn't impressed that the salesman sold him a $120 monster cable when any old HDMI seems to do the job.

post #48 of 78 Old 05-16-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_n_d_i_a_n_a View Post

From my research I will try to help you where I can. I am not affiliated with VIP in any way. I am a satisfied customer though.

My ultimate setup is based on the DLP LINK feature ONLY of a 3d capable projector (hd-66) with the 3d-vip unit. (more later about this).

But like you I have spent way too many hours trying to piece together all the information about how to use the 3d-vip units and whether to put together a flexible solution(moveable) or not (fixed).
It is my understanding that the 3d-vip units can work with NON 3d compliant TVs and projectors by using a separate IR emitter(that plugs into the 3d-vip unit itself) and communicates the sync signal to 3d-vip IR glasses). There is a DIP switch on the back of the 3d-vip unit that selects either 120hz (default) or 60 hz so that you can use it on a variety of HD TV sets/projectors. I have not personally tested this but believe it is possible.

The unknowns here are really regarding any latency overhead that would delay the processing of a HDMI signal by the VIDEO device. This is important because the IR-emitter may be sending the 3d sync info to the IR glasses but if the HD TV has a high latency producing the images then there might be an issue. Someone really needs to put together a comparison table somewhere of all the 2D HD TVs and projectors made in the last three years and test whether this is an issue or not. From what I have seen on You tube videos and other site it doesn't seem to be.

I however decided to go with the HD-66 DLP-LINK solution (non IR-emitter route). You have the flexibility to go another route if you wish as 3d-VIP solution gives you that flexibility.

Q: I am a bit confused which one I need and if it needs a PC to power it via USB?

Answer: I bought a cheap usb wall charger from radio shack. don't sweat it.

Q: I will be running HDMI from my PS3 to the 3D VIP, to my Yamaha receiver for audio, then to my HD66 projector. I want this for 3D movies and games on my PS3. I seriously doubt my cable provider (shaw cable) will be airing 3D content anytime soon..or if my cable PVR can ouput 3d.

A: From what I have seen there is a huge amount of confusion about this, but this is what is all boils down to: Does your receiver/PVR have a hdmi input that supports (hdmi 1.4a) standard?
It either does or it doesn't. Otherwise known as hdmi 3D pass through. The receiver I bought came out in 2011 and had support for hdmi 1.4a out of the box. If your receiver is a few years old I would say it probably doesn't. No worries though.

The PS3 and 3d Bluray players support hdmi 1.4a. We don't want to lose the 3d information sent from these devices but if you use any non hdmi 1.4a device between the 3d player/ 3d game console and the 3d-VIP unit then then signal will be downgraded to hdmi 1.3 before being processed by the 3d-VIP unit.

The the sole purpose of the 3d-VIP unit is to convert the hdmi 1.4a 3d signal into a signal with sequential processed 3d data so that your TV/PROJECTOR unit can display the 3d signal correctly in sync with the active glasses.

If your DVR and receiver both supports hdmi 1.4a. Then connect it this way.

PS3 --> receiver --> 3d-VIP unit --> 60hz/120hz Projector or other 60/120hz capable TV.
DVR --> receiver --> 3d-VIP unit --> 60hz/120hz Projector or other 60/120hz capable TV.

If your DVR and receiver DO NOT support hdmi 1.4a. Then connect it this way.

PS3 --> input rocketfish hdmi splitter output a. -->
output b. --> receiver.

DVR --> input rocketfish hdmi splitter output a. -->
output b. --> receiver.

Q: As I plan to just watch 3d Blurays from my PS3 and games, which VIP would be best for me? If I understand correct I need to order the VIP, a transmitter and glasses, then a second pair of glasses. Just did some reading..looks like I need the radio transmitter and glasses...or if I only want to use the Optoma HD 66 I don't need that as 3D link is built in? Then which glasses do I choose?

A1. Well as you are getting the HD-66 you will definitely want to use the 3D DLP-LINK feature of the projector. (The projector communicates with DLP compliant CHEAPER Active glasses via the projection screen to keep the 3d image that is projected in snyc with the glasses). I liked this so went this route.
The alternate is a slightly more expensive route because it requires the IR-Emitter and IR compliant Active glasses. (If you buy the more expensive IR-emitter and IR glasses with the 3d-vip unit then you can use them on other TV/projectors not just DLP projectors. I only planned to use mine with the HD-66 DLP projector.

A2. Ok here is how I saw it when comparing the 3d-vip units.

3d-gamer : PS3 3d games only
3d-displayer : PS3 3d games, PS3 Bluray 3d Movies and/or Bluray 3d Players
3d-Theater : PS3 3d games, PS3 Bluray 3d Movies and/or Bluray 3d Players + All 3d Cable/Satellite provider supported broadcasts.

All three of these 3d-vip units will pass through a 2D signal which means if you still want to watch 2d HD TV, 2d HD Blueray or 2d DVD movies/content you can as the 3d-vip unit will pass through the signal with no 3D processing.

Q: I am now wondering if I had to replace my projector at all? I am currently using a Panasonic Ae900 LCD projector with 1000 hours on it. Would it have worked with 3D?

A1. Interesting question. If you buy the more expensive 3d-vip IR-emitter/IR-glasses setup with the 3d-vip unit then I believe you could have. Would the quality of the 3d have been different? Not sure. The problem is is that there has been no formal review of the 3d-vip units AND IT'S CONFIGURATIONS on the net, I could be wrong so don't flame me. If you find it please let me know as my friends will be interested in it.

A2. I think once you get the HD-66 setup right with either the more expensive IR/DLP active glasses (they have DLP compatibility also built in) or the non-IR DLP only active glasses. You will be a very happy camper.
There are a lot of people who recommend the HD 66 and I agree with them.
I have two user profiles on the projector one for viewing 3d using the glasses (USER1) and one for regular 2d stuff (USER2). The USER1 profile is brighter to compensate for the reduction in brightness while wearing the 3d active glasses.

USER1 profile:
Brightness: 38
Contrast: 90
3D: DLP-Link
3D Sync Invert: On/Off Depends if foreground image is in background or not, you decide. When ever I change from PS3 3D game to Bluray 3d movie I have had to change this back and forth. A minor inconvenience when using DLP. I have read if you go the IR-Emitter route with the IR glasses then you do not need to use the 3D options on this projector. The IR-emitter handles the sync etc.

USER2 profile:
Brightness: 43
Contrast: 60

Projector Setup -- Options
Source Lock : On (I only use hdmi)
Background: black (I think this is important and you will too.)

I am constantly playing with these settings to get them as close to a universal setting for all the content I watch. :-)

I hope this helps.

I tried these settings over the weekend and man o man, you are on the money especially User setting 1. I can not believe the amount of quality i'm now getting out of a 720P projector. Looks as good if not better than 1080p when viewing in 3D. Simply Amazing!
post #49 of 78 Old 05-16-2011, 07:27 AM

Glad to hear as this will be my exact setup too!

Did you find the Optoma jumps to a blue screen (where it searches for a signal) often as Blu Rays jump from the menu to the feature, etc?

post #50 of 78 Old 05-18-2011, 08:57 PM

Those who are interested in VIP 3D products should be careful ! I've placed order for 20+ days and still have not received the gear . And Jonathan seems died already ! He did not reply any email . and did not tell me what's going on. I think I have been cheated!!!!
post #51 of 78 Old 05-19-2011, 07:12 AM

I have had OUTSTANDING customer service fro Jay at Consignia. Amazing communication and a replacement VIP has already arrived they Jay personally tested for me.

I will be setting it up and trying again Friday night.

post #52 of 78 Old 05-19-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quite a bummer about issues....

While maybe limited. The Optoma converter has been rock solid for me.
post #53 of 78 Old 05-19-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Would 3D displayer work with plasma with HDMI 1.1 input with 1365x768 native resolution? If so then what resolution should I set the 3D displayer at?

Vinod
post #54 of 78 Old 05-19-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickycws View Post

Those who are interested in VIP 3D products should be careful ! I've placed order for 20+ days and still have not received the gear . And Jonathan seems died already ! He did not reply any email . and did not tell me what's going on. I think I have been cheated!!!!

I waited a month for mine. The glasses are the problem. Lack of stock. VIP will fill the order. Just have to wait. This happens with newly released products. I don't think they planned for so many orders.
post #55 of 78 Old 05-21-2011, 10:13 AM

Hi,

Is it possible to hook the 3D-Displayer to an ATI 6870 Video Card on a Desktop computer ? The videocard supports stereoscopic 3D (i.e.: HDMI 1.4a) and that product also has an HDMI 1.4a input.

What I wanted to do was hook the video card to the model using the input slot, then output it to either a TV or an LCD computer screen (both support HDMI).

Is such a thing possible ? Will I then be able to play desktop games that support Nvidia's 3D display ?

Thanks
post #56 of 78 Old 05-21-2011, 04:34 PM

I just wanted to follow up and say my replacement VIP Theater works great! No ghosting, glasses work great! My only problem was some of my 1080p files burned to DVD and converted for playback on a PS3 freeze it up. I'm really not sure why as I've played many HD files that are large on my PS3 before, but that's something with the PS3 not the VIP.

post #57 of 78 Old 05-21-2011, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
post #58 of 78 Old 05-24-2011, 08:33 AM

Well..I'm almost there. I picked up a Sony BDP S580 3D Blu Ray player which plays MKV files nicely (my PS3 was choking) and got that working well, BUT...I tried playing my Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D Blu Ray movie and I have one last problem.

To play a 3D Blu Ray movie the player needs to "talk" to a 3DTV so that it allows me to select playback of the 3D version of the film. My player isn't talking to the projector since I am not directly conencting to the projector.

I am going from the Blu Ray player to a Rocketfish HDMI splitter. One line goes direct to my VIP Theater and the other line goes to my Yamaha receiver which nicely plays the PCM audio.

I temporarily plugged the HDMI cable from the Blu Ray player direct to the Vip Theater and it then allowed me to play the 3D movie, but once I swapped the cable back to the splitter (then to the VIP) it switched it back to 2D. Sigh..why can't the player just TRUST Me and play a 3D movie if I select it?!

I guess this means that for 3D Blu Rays I have to use my PS3 and use the optical audio output from that (as the Sony BDP S580 doesn't have an optical output) and bypass the Rocketfish HDMI splitter. Not ideal as I prefer PCM for audio but I guess I have no choice.

post #59 of 78 Old 05-24-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I temporarily plugged the HDMI cable from the Blu Ray player direct to the Vip Theater and it then allowed me to play the 3D movie, but once I swapped the cable back to the splitter (then to the VIP) it switched it back to 2D. Sigh..why can't the player just TRUST Me and play a 3D movie if I select it?!

I guess this means that for 3D Blu Rays I have to use my PS3 and use the optical audio output from that (as the Sony BDP S580 doesn't have an optical output) and bypass the Rocketfish HDMI splitter. Not ideal as I prefer PCM for audio but I guess I have no choice.

Oh, that stinks. My Oppo has an option to "Force 3D", but looking at the Sony manual it seems you can only choose "Auto" or "Off".
post #60 of 78 Old 05-24-2011, 12:04 PM

That's what I need..a "force 3D" setting!

I wonder if it could be solved via a firmware update. Do they really think everyone who invests in 3D Blu Ray is plugging directly into a TV?!

OR..just had a thought. If I can unplug the HDMI running to my receiver until the Blu Ray Auto 3D is enabled and the movie is playing then plug it in. Oh wait I think I did try that late Saturday night and I didn't get audio. Worth one more shot tho.

Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page