VIP 3D-Theatre with HD66 Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 78 Old 05-24-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Maybe integrate a matrix switch (2 simultaneous outputs) instead of a splitter into the path? May be easier to find one that handles 3d than a splitter.

I know the ps3 (which is software-based, maybe that's the difference) needs to be hooked up to the vip directly first, then you can move the vip further down the chain & the ps3 settings will stick.

Yeah, a firmware upgrade for the S580 would be the cleanest solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 05-24-2011, 02:21 PM

Liked: 10
AT this point I'm not spending another dime on this setup..my credit card is hurting as it is.

Hmm..so I SHOULD be able to use my Ps3 to play Blu Ray 3D movies once it's set to detect the VIP..I then reattach the splitter and I should get 3D video out from one HDMI and PCM audio from the other. I'll try that one more time.

When I want to play any HD MKV files I'll use the Sony BDP S580 by unplugging the HDMI from the PS3 and into the BDP S580. As it will be playing SBS MKV files it should have no trouble carrying and splitting the audio too.

I'll give it a shot! I fear that I'll have to override the automatic setting in my PS3 to output 720p which is all that seems to work with my VIP and Optoma projector...so I may lose the settings.

Thanks for the tips!

Check out my Blog to see what I am working on in my basement now....http://artood2fett.blogspot.com/
post #63 of 78 Old 05-28-2011, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Can someone confirm that the 3D-VIP Theater will work with an Optoma HD65 which runs at 60hz and has anyone tried it? Any flicker issues or otherwise? I was waiting for a "potential" Optoma firmware upgrade to 120hz to use the 3D-XL, but perhaps I don't have to worry about it and the 3D-VIP may be the answer.
Thanks for any feedback.
post #64 of 78 Old 05-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve*MH View Post

Can someone confirm that the 3D-VIP Theater will work with an Optoma HD65 which runs at 60hz and has anyone tried it? Any flicker issues or otherwise? I was waiting for a "potential" Optoma firmware upgrade to 120hz to use the 3D-XL, but perhaps I don't have to worry about it and the 3D-VIP may be the answer.
Thanks for any feedback.

I have not been able to get any of my 60 hz pj's to reliably work with the displayer just my 3d acer h5360. I have not been able to get my optoma HD7100, hitachi pj-tx 100, and epson ex 70 to sync properly with the upconverted 24 hz to 60 hz from the vip. Since the sync comes from the vip and not the pj loss of lock occurs.
post #65 of 78 Old 05-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoss View Post

I have not been able to get any of my 60 hz pj's to reliably work with the displayer just my 3d acer h5360. I have not been able to get my optoma HD7100, hitachi pj-tx 100, and epson ex 70 to sync properly with the upconverted 24 hz to 60 hz from the vip. Since the sync comes from the vip and not the pj loss of lock occurs.

I wanted to post a correction for at least 1 pj (Hitachi PJ-TX100) until I retest the remainder. I had my 24fps setting disabled in the BR player which is probably causing a problem with sync issues. I enabled it. I think pause and resume can also cause problems too. Instead stop and restart. I was to quick on this one time and got a polarity inversion. The Bard mentioned this problem as well. HD70 works from other threads.
post #66 of 78 Old 06-04-2011, 08:45 AM

Liked: 12
Went to the VIP website and although the VIP Theater is listed, it's not available when you go to purchase; just the gamer edition.

Is there a problem?????

Please advise, thank you.
post #67 of 78 Old 06-04-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve*MH View Post

Thanks for any feedback.

BTW, the optoma firmware upgrade is now posted here:
http://www.optoma.co.uk/projectordet...203D%20Upgrade
post #68 of 78 Old 06-04-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post

Went to the VIP website and although the VIP Theater is listed, it's not available when you go to purchase; just the gamer edition.

Is there a problem?????

Please advise, thank you.

They have yet to update the website, but the unit is available now. Contact their sales department, or Jonathan directly. You can also order from consignia.ca, and curtpalme.com.
post #69 of 78 Old 06-04-2011, 02:40 PM

Hey guys, i've been reading this forum to try and find an answer to my problem.

My current setup is a PS3 with the HD66 and the Vip theatre. i've downloaded a few 3D ripped movies that were confirmed working on other people's 3D tv's and PS3s...

Basically the issue is that ripped 3D blurays are usually in SBS format (which mine are) and that the VIP Theatre is supposed to be able to play SBS 3D, unlike the other two VIP models (gamer and displayer).

However, with the ripped .m2ts files on my ps3 or even being streamed over Playstation Media Server the movies only play with the two images still in SBS without joining them.

Does anyone have a solution to this? The projector has the 3D setting turned on and plays games, blurays in 3D perfectly, other than my SBS ripped movies.

Thanks
post #70 of 78 Old 06-04-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP_user View Post

Hey guys, i've been reading this forum to try and find an answer to my problem.

My current setup is a PS3 with the HD66 and the Vip theatre. i've downloaded a few 3D ripped movies that were confirmed working on other people's 3D tv's and PS3s...

Basically the issue is that ripped 3D blurays are usually in SBS format (which mine are) and that the VIP Theatre is supposed to be able to play SBS 3D, unlike the other two VIP models (gamer and displayer).

However, with the ripped .m2ts files on my ps3 or even being streamed over Playstation Media Server the movies only play with the two images still in SBS without joining them.

Does anyone have a solution to this? The projector has the 3D setting turned on and plays games, blurays in 3D perfectly, other than my SBS ripped movies.

Thanks

You may have to force SBS detection. Use the "P1" button on the VIP unit; it cycles between autodetect/TnB/SBS.
post #71 of 78 Old 06-04-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

You may have to force SBS detection. Use the "P1" button on the VIP unit; it cycles between autodetect/TnB/SBS.

I didn't know that about the P1 button, thanks.

To follow up, the 3d light on the Theatre comes on but the projector cannot find the source when I force, only autodetect works - but no 3d light.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming!
post #72 of 78 Old 06-04-2011, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't know that about the P1 button, thanks.

To follow up, the 3d light on the Theatre comes on but the projector cannot find the source when I force, only autodetect works - but no 3d light.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming!

Try changing output resolution, see if that helps.
post #73 of 78 Old 06-05-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

Try changing output resolution, see if that helps.

Thebard, my new friend...you are

A GENIUS!

Thanks a lot that solved my dilemma. Go for president next election, you have my vote.

Watching Avatar 3D now! This is why I went this way (HD66 and VIP Theatre); and its beautiful...

Take care man!
post #74 of 78 Old 06-05-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thebard, my new friend...you are

A GENIUS!

Thanks a lot that solved my dilemma. Go for president next election, you have my vote.

Watching Avatar 3D now! This is why I went this way (HD66 and VIP Theatre); and its beautiful...

Take care man!

Just passing on what came my way... payin' it forward, that's what AVSforum is all about!
post #75 of 78 Old 06-06-2011, 12:14 PM

To get rid of the blue screen on the projector menu change the background color to Black and set the "Display Information" to off. You will find this work more seamlessly with your setup.
post #76 of 78 Old 06-17-2011, 11:17 PM

Does anyone know whether this would work with a JVC HD250. It is not advertised as a 3d capable projector. After review I might be in the wrong forum but everyone here seems to know what they're doing.

Thanks.
post #77 of 78 Old 11-18-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchacovered View Post

I'm currently waiting on some equipment so I can test 60Hz operation. I plan to test and post a review. I expect the equipment today or tomorrow.

I am VERY interested in the VIP product as I have a Sanyo PLZ Z2000 projector with a 120" screen. I was considering (but not very seriously) getting a new 3D projector, but would prefer to wait and buy a passive 3D projector when they are offered at a price that doesn't send me into a cold sweat. I have a Sony 780 Blu Ray DVD player which has optical audio output to my surround sound.

If this product really works, this could be a killer setup for a very reasonable price. I've already got an emitter and glasses (the TV in my living room is a 73" Mits (which I won't use anymore for 3D if this product is any good). Does the standard emitter work on this (the emitter I have now is plugged into the Mits)?

Anyhoo, I sent the specs to the VIP email address and asked if it would work, but I don't always trust sales people and thought I'd see what others think of my chances of getting this to work.

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
post #78 of 78 Old 11-22-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post

I am VERY interested in the VIP product as I have a Sanyo PLZ Z2000 projector with a 120" screen. I was considering (but not very seriously) getting a new 3D projector, but would prefer to wait and buy a passive 3D projector when they are offered at a price that doesn't send me into a cold sweat. I have a Sony 780 Blu Ray DVD player which has optical audio output to my surround sound.

If this product really works, this could be a killer setup for a very reasonable price. I've already got an emitter and glasses (the TV in my living room is a 73" Mits (which I won't use anymore for 3D if this product is any good). Does the standard emitter work on this (the emitter I have now is plugged into the Mits)?

Anyhoo, I sent the specs to the VIP email address and asked if it would work, but I don't always trust sales people and thought I'd see what others think of my chances of getting this to work.

The product really works. One of the issues people face using the VIP units with newer displays is whether or not the display frame locks to the signal. If yours will, it's good. A failure to frame lock means that the 3D picture will drift from sharp to ghosted and back again. Depending on the particular display, this can be over a period of several minutes, or much more quickly. Our Sony Bravia LCD exhibited this, so the Theater got moved to our CRT in the living room. Somewhere in the component chain needed for the set to use HDMI and display 3D, the framelocking is occurring, so that the 3D picture is clean and stable.

You may want to contact Sanyo to find out if your PJ frame locks. Some companies are forthcoming with this type of engineering info, and some aren't.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page