Vizio E3Dxx0VX series tread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 190 Old 03-27-2011, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vizio recently announced a new passive 3d lineup for as early as April.

Set's msrp are
32 inch - $550
42 inch - $730
47 inch - $899

Walmart may sell the first two for $500 and $700. Comes with qwerty ir remote and wifi with apps. All lack 2d to 3d and LED backlighting.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/25/v...ship-for-less/

Vizio
http://www.vizio.com/lcd-hdtvs.html?ajaxnavclear=true

I was wanting the lg 47lw5600 but am now considering the 42 or 47 inch vizio do to price. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 190 Old 03-27-2011, 08:13 AM

I'm planning on getting the 47" model. At that price, it's hard not to. I have a vizio and samsung LCD set now (sadly both non-3d) and have no complaints about the vizio. IMHO, this a fantastic value for the price.

I suspect these new passive Vizio's will sell REALLY well.
post #3 of 190 Old 03-27-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

These are the economy models. So if you are looking for high end vizios wait till later this year when the sets with leds come out. I'm sure 200k contrast,120hz, and ccfl will be sufficient for my needs and price range. I'm just waiting and see if they're not a dud.
post #4 of 190 Old 04-18-2011, 12:03 PM

I picked up the 32 in version of this set on saturday at Walmart for $498. They had one on display, two in box. They also had the 47 in version on display, but not in box.

I bought it for gaming and movies. I've tested it with Black Ops (360), Crysis 2 (PS3), and Coraline (3d blue ray).

It works, just not flawlessly. The only caveat with this display is it's viewing angle limited. When I first set it up, I mounted it too high and immediately saw ghosting. The display essentially MUST be at eye level. There is some give up or down, but your eyes have to be level with some part of the screen at 10 feet. There is more give right and left of the display than there is up and down.

When the TV is at eye level and not viewed from a hard side angle, the 3D is beautiful. I wasn't expecting it to perform as well at it did. The glasses are comfortable, so much so I don't even known which of the two glasses it came with are the "luxury set". I have also confirmed it works just fine with Real3d glasses obtained from my local AMC theater. Which means, you can order extra pairs at less than $5 a piece.

The remote has all sorts of useful functions which I won't detail here, but has one problem. The keyboard has some button delay problems. It's a pain in the ass to type on it, but it's certainly better than not having a keyboard at all.

The internet apps are nifty, but I'm disappointed with the lack of Youtube. Judging from what's available (the widgets), Vizio has some sort of agreement with Yahoo. The Netflix performance is on par with the PS3's app. No complaints.

There is an optical output on the back of the TV. I have a surround sound receiver, but haven't gotten around to testing it with the Vizio. That's for later this week. There are settings in the audio that suggests the TV will output Dolby dts to a receiver from an HDMI input. If that's the case, a budget surround receiver for gaming is possible to use with this set for use with multiple HDMI inputs into the TV.
post #5 of 190 Old 04-19-2011, 01:47 PM

All three of these were on display at both Walmart and BJ's locally. They looked decent, obviously being Walmart they were all set up improperly, playing Tron Legacy in 3d but not having glasses availible. It did have that same lenticular look to the screen (almost like mini very faint scan lines, even in 2d) that the 65" Vizio and the LG 55" have, caused by the pattern retarder filter on the screen. I was impressed by the black levels on the 47". More impressed with the price. I'm loking at buying a small house and my only current display is a projector, so I'm in need of a daytime display. I was thinking the LG or the next Vizio 55" but for half the price the 47" may be worth picking up to satisfy my desire for passive 3d until the tech sorts itself out, then I can use it as a bedroom TV. Looking forward to more impressions.

My Theater Gallery
Xbox Live gamertag: Ikari Warrior
Playstation Network ID: IkariWarrior
post #6 of 190 Old 04-19-2011, 07:37 PM

Liked: 116
I purchased the 47" today at Walmart. A bit of an impulse buy, but I've been waiting to see them. I think the quality is fantastic. Granted, I've been using a cheap store brand 42" for a while, so this is a big upgrade, but good value. My roommate has a LG 47" LED tv though. And I don't notice to much of a quality difference, except his has a glossy screen, but the Vizio has the Matte screen and I prefer it. I need to get my tv calibrated properly. But I tested with Tron in 3D. Angles were good, even really wide. Its at eye level, so I have not really tested the vertical angles but from seeing an LG display its not too much of an issue if your far enough from the screen. Anyways, I will probably update this on my impressions as I get to use it more. Worst case scenario, is that I have 90 days to return it for a full refund with receipt. Can't beat that return policy. On another note, the tv was $868.00 and $920.08 out the door with tax.

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
post #7 of 190 Old 04-20-2011, 08:10 AM

I picked up the 42" model on Saturday and have been very impressed with the TV, esp considering the price. This replace a 32" Dell LCD from 2005 that I probably paid about $1K for refurbished. Amazing how TV prices have dropped.

I had demoed the LG passive sets numerous times leading up to my purchase and I have not been disappointed.

First off with my set up I sit about 8-9 feet from the set, but there is not a vertical shift, we also have two couches at odd angles to the set and the great part is the 3D works from all sitting positions.

The non-premium glasses that come with the set are my preferred set, because they fit perfectly over my glasses, if I decide to order more they will be the basic set. I doubt I have a need to buy more glasses, because the Real 3D theater glasses work and for some reason we had a few of those sitting around the house (even in kids sizes which is nice).

I have watched a real mixture of content, covering everything from Directv 3D channels to PS3 movies and games. The IMAX specials running on 3Net are solid programs both from an entertainment perspective and 3D effect. The fact you can DVR the 3D content is another added plus. The IMAX Under the Sea documentary is included on the LG demo reel, so I was able to get a direct compare to that and was equally impressed. The large purple fish comes out at you as well with this set as the it did with the LG passive models. (If you have seen the demo, you know what I am talking about). The Space Station IMAX doc is another must-watch.

Saturday night, my son and I watched Tron Legacy and that was all the confirmation I needed that the TV was a good purchase. The Disney logo prior to that film starting is one of the single coolest things I have ever seen, it is the definition of jaw-dropping.

Sunday was spent tinkering more by downloading and trying out some PS3 game demos, I tried the Killzone 3D demo, I had not tried much 3D gaming and the impressions from others had been very luke-warm, after playing for about an hour Sunday I don't understand why more people are not pumped for 3D gaming, it was an amazing way to play a First Person Shooter. Granted I have not tested game play under long play sessions, but first impressions were that I would definitely play games in 3D.

Through all my testing I have yet to see the dreaded black lines and the digital audio out works great, I ran it to my set of Turtle Beach headphones and enjoyed surround sound as I played the Killzone demo.

The only negatives and they were limited were:

1)The remote is not great, it is not as responsive as I would have liked and it is not back-lit.

2) The set does not auto-detect the 3d mode and actively adjust for it, plus you have to confirm that you want 3D when you go into 3D. This one is a little weird, because the PS3 auto-detects the 3D when displaying 3D content, but I still have to confirm that I want 3D. Directv actually requires that I switch over to SBS 3D and switch back to 2D when leaving 3D channels. Not a huge deal, but it makes the TV a little harder to use and means I have to keep the lackluster remote nearby.

3) No supported Directv codes for the remote, none that i could find at least

4) Some of the 3D effects don't hold up, esp when stuff flies out of the screen, i.e. water droplets flying at me in the Space Station IMAX doc. I am not sure if this is a byproduct of home 3D in general or specific to passive tech or even to this TV, but it does lose some of the effect, but is a minor annoyance more than anything else, again that big purple fish in the Under the Sea doc had no problems coming right at me, but faster moving stuff gets lost.

Hopefully this helps people that are looking at this line of TVs, I highly recommend it based on my few days with it. The 120hz 2D mode picture quality is also very good, my 5 year old son noted how his Disney channel shows now look like Mom's shows (ie the soap opera effect on 120hz sets). We may have a young AVS geek in the making, because I had never mentioned that term or concept to him.

Fire away with the questions if you have any. I think that these passive displays will get a lot of fence-sitters to jump into 3D. It just plain works and the glasses are affordable and I don't feel bad about handing over a pair to my kids or their friends. From a content perspective it feels like the early days of HD, lots of nature docs, but I actually believe there is more 3D content at this point, esp if you have a PS3. That is the great thing, aside from the TV, there was no additional investment for me to get 3D content, my Directv box was ready to go and I can already play 3D blurays and games from the PS3 and the Xbox 360 for the latter. Once again, I am very pleased with the set and can't wait to pick up Killzone 3 to get a full game experience in 3D.
post #8 of 190 Old 04-20-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Anyone in MA spotted these at retail yet?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #9 of 190 Old 04-20-2011, 05:23 PM

So wait...this vizio has the soap opera effect?
I saw the LG at best buy and I'm sold on the half res passive, even tho the sample reel showed a few seconds of jaggy sports action that was a bit of a turn off.
But overall I'm sold on passive. I cant stand all the flickering, ghosting, and dim active stuff with the uncomfortable shutter glasses.
The bonus is that my 4 yr old totally LOVED the 3D fish!

I'm just about ready to get the 47" vizio... But the soap opera effect is a deal breaker.
Can u turn it off or do I have to wait for a nicer TV? ...or does the LG avoid this?
I didn't get a chance to watch normal movies on it to know.

Btw, I finally registered here on avsforum just to actively get to the bottom of this. TIA.
post #10 of 190 Old 04-20-2011, 05:25 PM

prayformojo

Did you turn film mode off when playing the ps3? The review on amazon mentioned input lag was bad with it on. I'm guessing turning it off switches the tv to 60hz?
post #11 of 190 Old 04-20-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-KGB View Post

prayformojo

Did you turn film mode off when playing the ps3? The review on amazon mentioned input lag was bad with it on. I'm guessing turning it off switches the tv to 60hz?

There is a gaming mode. I havent used it, at all. Not seen one bit of lag.
post #12 of 190 Old 04-20-2011, 05:49 PM

For games I did not turn off any of the filters and I did not notice any input lag, there is a game mode, but I did not try that either, really I had no issue with it. I usually play on a projector, which probably has lag, so maybe I have gotten used to it, but it did not appear to be a problem. Probably depends on your sensitivity to input lag and the types of games you play, it probably matters more on Marvel vs Capcom than it does on the Killzone demo.

On the soap opera effect, it seems limited to content shot on video, the movies I have watched did not have the effect, but on video content it is obvious. It appears that you can turn the smoothing down and off if you want. If this is a concern I would try and see the set in person to make sure it does not due something that you do not like, I actually like it on video content.

I played more with the apps and if my Internet connection was better this would be a nice feature, you can pull up your weather from an app, but it also has amazon on demand, vudu,Netflix, Blockbuster and more, nice feature and wifi built in is a bonus.

The LG set also does 2d to 3d conversion. I was sold on then passive tech the minute I saw the LG demo at best buy, but I needed a 42 inch set, so the vizio was my only real option, plus it is significantly less than the LG. I may pick up one of the new Panny 3d bluray player which does the 2d to 3 d conversion on regular DVDs and blurays.
post #13 of 190 Old 04-21-2011, 10:07 AM

Soap opera effect limited to video? As in vids from a camcorder or phone?
I'm assuming these sources are 720p/1080p 30fps? How does the vizio handle 24p blurays?
post #14 of 190 Old 04-21-2011, 11:18 AM

I have not yet tried regular blu-ray, but the effect is not present in any of the 3D modes. When I meant video I was referring to if the content had been shot on video, i.e. a show like The Middle on ABC. The effect is present in that content, esp when characters move or the screen pans, but then on other content like The Hannah Montana Movie on Disney last night which was shot on film it is not present.

Like I said make sure you test the unit out prior to buying if the soap opera effect is a concern, but it does seem to be able to be turned off. I will play around with it more tonight and get you some better answers.
post #15 of 190 Old 04-23-2011, 12:30 PM

Liked: 116
Has anyone performed the calibration of the 47" tv? If so, could you post your settings?

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
post #16 of 190 Old 04-30-2011, 08:45 AM

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this series, especially considering the price. I used VE HD Basics to calibrate the 47" but actually had to change very little other than sharpness and knock the brightness down a hair. Great picture and the passive 3d has be fine, no headaches like I often get from active glasses.

My Theater Gallery
post #17 of 190 Old 04-30-2011, 04:35 PM

Debating on getting the 32 or 42 inch for the bedroom. First 3D tv and can't decide. The 42 might be a tad big, but the 120 hz is catching my eye. Why didn't they make the 32 inch 120hz? Any other benefits to the 42?

I have yet to see these in 3D demo mode. I saw the LG passive set in Best Buy and loved it! From what I gather, these sets produce the same quality of 3D. Any thoughts on this?
post #18 of 190 Old 04-30-2011, 08:53 PM

Many of the Walmarts near me were playing Tron Legacy in 3d mode on the store display, with no glasses available of course. Before I decided to buy I brought a pair of RealD glasses I had kept from the theater to try at the store, just to make sure I could deal with any visible lines from the passive tech. It looked great at about 15' at the store and looks just as great up to about 5' at home. For a bedroom I'd go 42", you always wish you had gone bigger once you get it. The 32" looked like it would make a great monitor, you can sit right on top of it and not notice the lines in 2d mode.

My Theater Gallery
post #19 of 190 Old 05-01-2011, 09:56 PM

Having purchased a Samsung active 3D before and never seen the passive 3D from Vizio before, I went ahead and purchased the 42" for my son's room. After unpacking it yesterday and hooking it up to the network, I went and tried the 3D previews from VUDU. All I have to say is this TV rocks in 3D. The color and brightness were just right at any light in the room. The 3D was at par with the one you see at the theater. Tomorrow I will be pairing it my Sony 3D Blu-ray player for some 3D playback.
post #20 of 190 Old 05-02-2011, 06:31 AM

Took the plunge and bought the 42" yesterday. I'm absolutely thrilled with the 3D. Watched Legend of the Guardians and was blown away. One thing I wasn't expecting was how crisp and bright the picture was. Detail was stunning. The depth of the 3D picture is awesome. It looks like the TV is a window and your watching live action outside of it. My wife who could care less about any kind of TV technology was even impressed.

Also watched some live action basketball and football on ESPN 3D. The way they do the camera, it feels like you are actually sitting in the crowd.

The TV also handles 2D content very well. This is my first 120hz tv and while some don't like the "soap opera" effect (which you can turn off), I love it. Watching Game of Thrones last night rocked.

So now i'm in full 3D mode. Trying to pick out my next movie purchases. Very excited.
post #21 of 190 Old 05-04-2011, 01:03 PM

Well I couldn't resist and bought the 42" set at Walmart yesterday, along with Tangled on 3D Blu-ray. WOW, the 3D is very good and almost exactly like I recall from the theater. My wife who wanted to strangle me for buying this TV was also very impressed and seemed more forgiving after the fact I really find it hard to believe that passive won't win out over active shutter once the "average joe" like myself starts buying these types of sets and seeing that it is plenty good enough with far cheaper glasses of course.
post #22 of 190 Old 05-05-2011, 09:08 AM

Regarding the cheaper glasses, we were watching one of the dinosaur IMAX movies yesterday. After sitting and watching the movie for 15 min or so, my 2 yr old took off his glasses and within a second began to stretch the frame by holding onto the sides. Thankfully the plastic held and didn't break, but I couldn't have imagined what that would have done to me if those were the more expensive active shutter ones.

BTW I bought 3 new pairs of glasses off of Amazon for $13. Got them in 2 days and they work just fine. I even like them better then the supplied Vizio ones.
post #23 of 190 Old 05-05-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd9979 View Post

Regarding the cheaper glasses, we were watching one of the dinosaur IMAX movies yesterday. After sitting and watching the movie for 15 min or so, my 2 yr old took off his glasses and within a second began to stretch the frame by holding onto the sides. Thankfully the plastic held and didn't break, but I couldn't have imagined what that would have done to me if those were the more expensive active shutter ones.

BTW I bought 3 new pairs of glasses off of Amazon for $13. Got them in 2 days and they work just fine. I even like them better then the supplied Vizio ones.

im surprised your 2yo wore the glasses for more than 5 minutes! mine wont even keep them on for more than 5 seconds. i give him one of the ones from my reald stash, of which he has broken 3 so far
post #24 of 190 Old 05-05-2011, 07:13 PM

You pobabally shouldn't let your 2yr old watch 3d content. The research is incomplete, but there is good reason to say it could very well interfere with brain developmemt till at least till the age of 5.
post #25 of 190 Old 05-05-2011, 09:15 PM

Anyone try gaming on this series yet? I tried both Killzone 3 and Crysis 2 on the 47" and both had ghosting issues, with Killzone's being quite significant, which is strange because I thought ghosting wouldn't be a major issue with a passive set. I tried two sets of HDMI cables just to make sure that wasn't the issue, and went straight to the TV, not through a receiver.

My Theater Gallery
post #26 of 190 Old 05-05-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikari Warrior View Post

Anyone try gaming on this series yet? I tried both Killzone 3 and Crysis 2 on the 47" and both had ghosting issues, with Killzone's being quite significant, which is strange because I thought ghosting wouldn't be a major issue with a passive set. I tried two sets of HDMI cables just to make sure that wasn't the issue, and went straight to the TV, not through a receiver.

Crysis 2, GT 5 on PS 3, Black ops on 360.

Gt 5 only ghosts in cut scenes. Crysis 2 and BO ghosts randomly, but not a lot. All of which are very playable. Save for BO, because ACOGS and iron sights are unusable with two eyes, not because of ghosting. In Crysis, all aiming works correctly. GT 5 is made for 3d gaming as far as I'm concerned.

I think this is product of passive technology, movie makers are just aware of it. Game makers aren't. You can NEVER exclude all light from one eye and not the other. So, the way you fix this is by tricking the brain to use it's built in luminance adjustment to throw out the dimmer info that makes it through anyways. White paper in poor lighting is darker than black text in sunlight, your brain knows this and fixes the image. Also, this is how one can go about projecting a black square onto a white screen. Luminance is treated by the brain different than color.

EDIT: basically, ghosting is going to happen when two critera are met. 1. Image one and two are drawn far apart. (which makes 2 more likely) 2. The physical area on the TV where bright object one is drawn over much dimmer area for eye two. Causing a ghost image in eye two.

For example, crysis two night time and a very well lit object that is close to the player is surrounded immediately by complete darkness (that one lamp post that doesnt seem to light up anything but it's own existence). GT cut scene where the driver is backlit by the sun.

This should be fixable by one or both of the following. Bring the two images closer, making nearby pixels closer in luminosity. Having the Tv do a on the fly luminosity adjustment.
post #27 of 190 Old 05-06-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepticBurrito View Post

You pobabally shouldn't let your 2yr old watch 3d content. The research is incomplete, but there is good reason to say it could very well interfere with brain developmemt till at least till the age of 5.

Yeah, he doesn't watch for more then a few minutes. He spends most of the time pestering his sister and trying to take her glasses off. He also insists on wearing his glasses upside down!

Thanks for the concern though.
post #28 of 190 Old 05-17-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Took the plunge! Got the 42 inch for $680 in stock on amazon(free shipping and no taxes), should be arriving next week! Upgrading from a 26" tube tv!

The 32 inch is only $500 but I consider 120hz and 10 inch upgrade to be worth it for $180 more. I was tempted by the 47 incher but 5 inches and an hdmi port wouldn't be worth $200 for my needs.

I was really tempted by the lg 47lw5600 but that's at least $600 more, though 2d to 3d and LEDs would be nice. I'm not very picky so I doubt it would be worth it for me, I'd rather use that money to load up on some 3d movies/games.

I'm downloading 3d demos on my 360. Once PSN comes back we will be able to pick 2 games out of a few, on that list wipeout and super stardust both are 3d. There are also many 3d demos for the ps3, so hopefully it comes back soon so I can preload them before it arrives.

Any settings or advice for setup?
post #29 of 190 Old 05-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Liked: 19
Purchased a 32" Vizio passive 3d hdtv from wal mart 10 days ago. I saw Monster House 3d blu ray. The picture was perfect. I sat 6 feet away. I also puchased the the Panasonic 110 and converted 2d to 3d versions of star wars dvd, lord of the rings blu ray, wizard of oz blu ray, sound of music blu ray, monsters vs aliens blu ray, alice in wonderland blu ray, charlies angels dvd and kill bill dvd. The best conversions were:sound of music, monsters vs aliens, alice in wonderland and kill bill. The others were fine, but not as good as the best. The 3d blu ray was outstanding.

My conversions consisted of different scenes from the movies. I had no headaches or eye strain as the active glasses gave me when I was researching the 3d tvs.

To get perfect 3d you have to sit eye level to the tv and follow the viewing instructions in the manual.

An assistant manager of best buy told me that the store doesn't carry vizio because agreements with panasonic, sony, samsung and lg prohibits sale of vizio. The electronic manager of wal mart told me vizio out sells all other brands combined. The wal mart where I live has had to reorder the vizio 47", 42" and 32" 3d tvs three times because of sell outs.
post #30 of 190 Old 05-17-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

I'm hoping this line of tvs has a good following due to all the sales. That generally means we can get firmware updates later in its lifespan. Video playback from usb would be nice but not needed as many devices and game systems already do it.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page