Dolby Digital 3D Guide... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 03-29-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry that this is not as complete as I wanted it to be, but I still think it's pretty good for being just some typing and links...

Thanks to everybody, especially Jack-Bauer, for the Color Correction Package!

Well, here it is...

Dolby Digital 3D
Guide

Welcome to the wonderful world that is Dolby 3D in Full HD...

I am putting this guide together for anyone who wants a Passive 3D Projection system in
Full High Definition.

What is Dolby Digital 3D?...

As Taken from (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_3D)

Dolby 3D uses a Dolby Digital Cinema projector that can show both 2D and 3D films. For 3D presentations, an alternate color wheel is placed in the projector. This color wheel contains one more set of red, green, and blue filters in addition to the red, green, and blue filters found on a typical color wheel. The additional set of three filters are able to produce the same color gamut as the original three filters but transmit light at different wavelengths. Glasses with complementary dichroic filters in the lenses are worn which filter out either one or the other set of three light wavelengths. In this way, one projector can display the left and right stereoscopic images simultaneously. This method of stereoscopic projection is called wavelength multiplex visualization. The dichroic filters in the Dolby 3D glasses are more expensive and fragile than the glasses technology used in circular polarization systems like RealD Cinema and are not considered disposable. However, an important benefit of Dolby 3D as compared to RealD is that no special silver screen is needed for it to work.

What are the positives and negatives of having Dolby Digital 3D compared to other 3D systems?

If you're reading this, then you probably know a little about 3D or at least some general facts, if not...

Here is a great website on some general 3D knowledge and terms...

http://www.3dtvguide.org/

Now on to the positives and negatives of each 3D system, including 3DTV's...

First off, Active 3DTV'S:

Positives:

3D Ready with most 3D formats

Usually good to go once hardware requirements are met

Usually very good 3D picture, pop out, depth, color, contrast, ect.

Usually amazing 2D picture to go with...
No bulbs to change, usual maintenance schedule.

Negatives:

Price, can cost around the price of a Great 1080p projector, or even 2!!!

Glasses Expensive, Usually $100-$200 for a pair, or two if your lucky

Picture Brightness, can take a hit sometimes, depending on technology of 3DTV

Ghosting when viewing 3D, seems to be the largest problem going around the 3D community, different factors contribute to this as well...

Smaller sizes than most 3D projection setups...

Passive 3DTV's:

Positives:

Just about all the positives of Active 3DTV's, with the exception of cheap glasses...

Negatives:

Resolution Lowered in some occasions...

Smaller sizes than projection, but still great for 3D...

Expensive compared to cheaper Active Shutter 720p Projectors.

Now onto 3D projection methods, including: (Polarized, Active Shutter, and Dolby 3D )

Polarized 3D Projection:

Positives:

Cheap glasses, anywhere from $.50 to $25

Bright picture, due to 2 projectors used...

Great for 3D PC gaming...

Similar results as 3DTV's as far as 3D goes...

Huge Picture, think in the 100 range!!!

Negatives:

Expensive start up cost... 2 projectors needed
Usually only compatible with 3D PC's if wanting to watch 3D Blu Ray...

Silver Screen Requirement...

2 Good filters needed.

Active Shutter Projection:

Positives:

Very good 3D quality, in comparison with 3D Televisions and Polarized 3D...

Cheap projector price, if going with a 720p projector! Around $500-$600
(Acer H5360 or Optoma HD66)

Active Glasses cheaper than 3DTV's Active Glasses...

Huge Picture...

Now compatible with 3D Blu Ray Players and Gaming Consoles with newer projectors or additional convertor box. (Optoma 3DXL)...

Regular Screen can be used...

And now onto the Dolby 3D Projection method:

Positives:

Amazing Extinction rates...

Some of the best 3D I have ever seen...

Cheaper glasses than active shutters, $20-$30 a pair on E-bay...

Regular Screen can be used...

Negatives:

Dual Projector requirement...

Not really compatible with 3D Blu Ray players or gaming consoles...

Color processing requirement, but this has been solved for 3D Blu Ray Movies on a 3D PC...

Now that you read the above, please be sure that you have these necessary hardware requirements checked off of the list below...

Hardware Requirements for Dolby Digital 3D at home projection...

1. Two projectors, advised to be the same projector, with lens shift, although I am currently using 2 different projectors with very little color shift.
2. At least 2 Pairs of Dolby 3D Glasses, you can only get them on E-bay as far as I know...
3. A Decent HTPC, with a Blu Ray Disk Drive, also with a video card that has 2 HDMI outputs, or at least one HDMI and one DVI (I am currently using a ATI HD5450 Video card, and this thing has smashed every test I have thrown at it, including 3D Blu Ray's
4. Latest Stereoscopic Player Version 1.70
(This is the newest version so far and the only one I can open 3D Blu Ray SSIF files with)
5. Daemon Tools, Virtual Drive Iso Mounter ( I will explain this later)
6. AnyDVD HD, (You will have to rip your 3D Blu Ray with this to a Iso file first.)
7. A codec pack for Stereoscopic Player, different ones work for different systems... (Play around with what works best for you)
8. Some type of stand for you to stack 2 projectors on top of each other, can be DIY or some 3D websites have some for sale

Steps to Setting up your Dolby Digital 3D Home Theater Projection System...

1. Make sure you have a sturdy well built, or bought Dual Projection Stand for your projectors.
2. Once you have them placed, Connect both of the projectors to your PC's Video Card, make sure your desktop is set to extend the 2 displays.
3. Once you have that done you should be projecting 2 different images, one of the Windows Desktop with icons, and another one of the Desktop.
4. Using lens shift on your projectors, shift both the images to your desired place on your screen, and try as best as possible to make sure one desktop images is placed exactly on top of the other image.
5. Take 1 pair of the Dolby 3D glasses, and Remove the Lenses as Carefully as Possible, because the plastic lenses are very fragile and sensitive to bending and creasing...
6. With the Lenses out, they should be a little curved due to the shape of the Frames for the glasses
7. Put them under a heavy book, or heavy weight for a couple of hours to flatten them as much as possible... (You can skip this step, but I find that this helps with the color shifts)
8. With the projectors still on and projecting a desktop image, place one of the flattened lenses in front of the projectors light path and mount it using tape or whatever. Make sure the whole image is being projected through the lens.
9. Do the same on the other projector with the other lens...
10. If you notice a color shift, try switching the lenses on the projectors.
11. If you still notice a color shift, don't worry there is a way around this...
12. Please read this thread on the forum... (Especially Post Number 7)
(http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1321514)

13. A very smart member of the AVS forum community came up with the idea of using the PC's codec's for color correction by writing some scripts, Avi Synth to be exact, He has compiled a package of information available for download in the above post that allows us Dolby 3D Enthusiasts to have no color shift to enjoy FULL HD Stereoscopic 3D Bluray's on 100+ screens for Total immersion...
Many Thanks to Avs Forum member, Jack-Bauer
14. Once you have all the above completed, then install the codec packs you wish to use first, Only After this is done, can you install Stereoscopic Player.
15. Once that is done open Stereoscopic player and go to viewing methods and select Dual Screen Output...

Ripping 3D Blu Ray's or Playing 3D Blu Ray's right off the disks with minimal tweaking...

Instructions

Ripping 3D Blu Ray

1. Install Any DVD HD, Reboot Computer
2. Rip Movie to image using Any DVD HD
3. After the movie is done ripping, (Should take about an Hour), Install Daemon Tools
4. Reboot Computer
5. Mount the ISO Image (The file that you got from step 2.) with Daemon Tools...
6. Open Stereoscopic Player, Go to File, Open File, you should see from the menu that a disk is available to play, click on the disk icon, and go to the main movie file, I believe it should be in a folder called Stream, but this is not the file you want, unless you want the 2D Version of the Movie, There should be one more folder inside the Stream folder called SSIF, go inside this folder and find the largest file and click on that file, that should be the main 3D Movie File...
7. Enjoy!

If you want to play the movie straight from the Disk, you have to only install Any DVD HD, then go do step number 6 of the above guide and then Enjoy...

Photos That I have included are attached above to show you my 3D Setup so you can get an idea of what this looks like setup, or if your just curious...
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-30-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plewacka View Post

5. Daemon Tools, Virtual Drive Iso Mounter ( I will explain this later)
6. AnyDVD HD, (You will have to rip your 3D Blu Ray with this to a Iso file first.)

Thanks for your interesting post.

Just one comment in case you don't know. With AnyDVD there is no need to rip the disc first, although you certainly can do this. That's the beauty of AnyDVD, you don't need to copy anything to use its magic.
You can simply use Stereoscopic player (or any other software player) directly from the original disc as long as AnyDVD is active. This is a big time saver, especially if you are performing "3D experiments / evaluation".

So Daemon Tools isn't "required" at all (and when mounting .isos, I would prefer SlySoft's "Virtual CloneDrive")
post #3 of 21 Old 05-18-2011, 08:12 AM

Hello Plewacka,

Thanks for your guide. Very helpfull.

You seem to have the latest glasses from Dolby. The plastic ones.
Are they cat 832 or cat 830 ?

Most important: Dolby claims that cat 832 (probably the ones you have) have an antireflective coating. Do you agree? Inside or outside of the lens?

How do your glasses compare with cat 834, the regular ones (glass)?

Thanks. Jack
post #4 of 21 Old 05-18-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

I do not know what category the glasses are, but they seem to be plastic and not very anti reflective, but still very good for 3D.

I do have one worry though. I have read that the plastic glasses are not as good as the glass ones (The filter properties are better). Do you think this is the truth and would this make a good difference in the 3D, has anyone done a comparison yet of the 2 types?
post #5 of 21 Old 05-18-2011, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I am really intrigued by this idea. Thank you for sharing! I am thinking that with this method, I could use my existing 60Hz DLP projector (Planar PD8150) and get a second one or use any other projector for the second one. Don't they make filters for projectors instead of having to rip apart a pair of glasses?

Mike
post #6 of 21 Old 05-18-2011, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
13. A very smart member of the AVS forum community came up with the idea of using the PC's codec's for color correction by writing some scripts, Avi Synth to be exact, He has compiled a package of information available for download in the above post that allows us Dolby 3D Enthusiasts to have no color shift to enjoy FULL HD Stereoscopic 3D Bluray's on 100+ screens for Total immersion...
Many Thanks to Avs Forum member, Jack-Bauer
He prevents nuclear terrorist attacks, Presidential assassinations, and writes AVI Synth scripts. What can't he do?
post #7 of 21 Old 05-18-2011, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Contact Jack-Bauer to find out where to get the Dolby Digital Flat Filters, I think they're about $320... Sort of expensive for 2 pieces of 2"x2" Glass. I think if you contact JDSU and talk to them you might be able to work out some deal with them for the filters. I never tried this yet so who knows...
post #8 of 21 Old 05-19-2011, 04:28 AM

I am using flat filters:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopi...1320&start=104

They are listed as cat 835 for 320$:
http://www.dolby.com/professional/pr...rice-list.html

You can get them from any Dolby reseller:
http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/A...ribListWEB.pdf

I got mine from a french reseller. I only had to make a phone call and send a check. They came for 380 euros, everything included.

I agree with Plewacka that this is expensive. But a decent silverscreen would have needed that money too.
....not as expensive as the official proposal form Infitec though:
http://www.infitec-global-sales.com/...march_2010.xls (see 3D filter set tab)

Jack
post #9 of 21 Old 05-19-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:

I do not know what category the glasses are, but they seem to be plastic and not very anti reflective, but still very good for 3D.

I do have one worry though. I have read that the plastic glasses are not as good as the glass ones (The filter properties are better). Do you think this is the truth and would this make a good difference in the 3D, has anyone done a comparison yet of the 2 types?

I have never been able to find any info about that on the net. At least technical info.
What I do know is that it appears to be at least four kinds of glasses on the market:

cat832 and cat834 are the official models from Dolby and listed in their catalog: http://www.dolby.com/professional/pr...rice-list.html

For the new plastic glasses: http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/22/d...tter-compete-w
Clic on Press Release: They say:
Code:
* The new 3M lenses are scratch resistant and include an antireflective coating.
I think they mean cat832 but the article doestn't say. That's the ones I want! Anti reflective coating!

Presently I have 10 pairs of cat834 and one pair of cat830.
cat830 beeing plastic, are lighter. cat830=30g. cat834=44g. Filters are cylindrical whereas cat834's are spherical. As far as I could see, the ghosting is about the same in both cases (that is: almost unnoticeable).

I have a problem with cat830: If I look downwards, it seems there is no filtering for at least 5mm from the bottom of the lens. This of course is not true and it may be related to the cylindric shape of the filter. The angle of vision is far from perpendicular! Though, if I look upwards, it's OK. I think this is a design issue because if I lift the branches one inch over my ears, everything is perfect (no, I am not an alien). Also, the branches are very tight. Are they for children...?

Angle report show about the same for both kinds:

...weird....That doesn't explain the no-filtering at the bottom of the glasses (do you have the same problem plewacka?).

I just ordered a pair of cat832 for testing. I'll let you know.

EDIT: I may have an answer to the issue:

LEFT picture is from http://www.marlinwire.com/docs/Dolby...es_Dealers.pdf
RIGHT picture shows the glasses I got from http://www.3doptix.be

Surprising, no?
If we believe professionals, cat830 have been discontinued and replaced by cat832:
http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f16/t000733.html
Bad design may be one of the reasons why they did that.

EDIT2: Seems cat 832 exists also in color and for children....
http://www.cinemeccanica.eu/prodotti...7&cat=1&scat=3

Jack
post #10 of 21 Old 05-21-2011, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Wow!

I almost hit the lottery with Stereoscopic Dual Projection Dolby Digital 3D!

What I mean is I found a new program that has Dolby Digital 3D Color correction built in! Only Problem is that it doesn't play SSIF Blu Ray files and it is $2500 to buy if you want to own it, but it is free to try! This program has some other great options as well for 3D.

Please PM me for the link because I don't know if it's against the rules or not to post the commercial website.
post #11 of 21 Old 05-23-2011, 02:29 AM

Thanks plewacka. I installed the reader and browsed the parameters.
I have been unable to get to the Infitec parameters. They should be included in the demo license though (see Activation Tool).
What is your experience?

I sincerely doubt that this reader would be any useful to me:
- I am using Dolby, not Infitec. Wavelength coding is not the same.
- Color correction strongly depends on the kind of lamp you are using (and maybe the kind of panels). Cannot be easily precoded.
(where is the calibration software?)
- I am so pleased with my present setup that I refrain from changing anything!

Jack
post #12 of 21 Old 05-27-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-bauer View Post

I am using flat filters:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopi...1320&start=104

They are listed as cat 835 for 320$:
http://www.dolby.com/professional/pr...rice-list.html

You can get them from any Dolby reseller:
http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/A...ribListWEB.pdf

I got mine from a french reseller. I only had to make a phone call and send a check. They came for 380 euros, everything included.

I agree with Plewacka that this is expensive. But a decent silverscreen would have needed that money too.
....not as expensive as the official proposal form Infitec though:
http://www.infitec-global-sales.com/...march_2010.xls (see 3D filter set tab)

Jack

Hi Jack

I'd really like to setup and test a Dolby Infitec system as well, but I think that the flat lens you are referencing there is actually a viewer lense intended to allow a theater to calibrate the color correction system, by placing that lens in front of the light measurement device.

I do not think that it is actually the projector filter that is intended to be placed between the light source and the screen.

(EDIT - I've still ordered a pair! Would like to check it out)

I did read somewhere that someone was able to snag an actual set of Infitec projector lenses for somewhere between $1,000 and $2,000 - but I can't seem to locate any myself.

And I read a couple months ago that Infitec had rolled out a new version of these lenses which offer better performance in terms of light loss.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-27-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:

Wow!

I almost hit the lottery with Stereoscopic Dual Projection Dolby Digital 3D!

What I mean is I found a new program that has Dolby Digital 3D Color correction built in! Only Problem is that it doesn't play SSIF Blu Ray files and it is $2500 to buy if you want to own it, but it is free to try! This program has some other great options as well for 3D.

Please PM me for the link because I don't know if it's against the rules or not to post the commercial website.

Defnitely PM me the info
post #14 of 21 Old 06-02-2011, 02:02 AM

Liked: 11
Hi Everybody

even though I've been a member since 2008, I was very inacitive but after seeing what jack-bauer and Plewacka achieved, I wanted to give dolby 3d a go. I've been a fan of polarised setups and i was waiting to finish my studies to get a silver screen. But now dolby 3d looks very promising. I am in the process of ordering some glasses and been talking to Jack and he's been very helpful, thank you.

Even though I haven't totally grasped this whole color correction phenomenon and how it is done, I want to present an idea i got today while thinking about color correction.

I know there are screen calibration devices such as huey pro etc. my question is whether these can be used to calibrate the projectors.

as i said above, even though I dont understand color correction much I will propose a set up so that people can add their ideas.

I am thinking of a set up like this:

Projector > Dolby filter > At some distance, a mounted small rear projection

screen < corresponding lens of the glass < Screen calibration tool.

Can we do this?: take a snapshot of the color parameters using the tool without the filter and the lens, and then mount the filter and the lens and tell the tool to calibrate the color. do this for each left and right setup.

the important question is whether this calibration should be done for the combined vision as we see with our both eyes? if so, then it is complicated.

What are your thoughts on this?

p.s. I have a small rear projection screen from my Multitouch Table and this color calibration thingies can be had for less than $100.

Cheers
post #15 of 21 Old 06-02-2011, 08:36 AM

That is a very good idea. But take the following into consideration :

When taking a picture of the screen (Canon PowerShot A700) colors are different from what I (we) see:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopi...1320&start=102

Eyes always see different wavelengths (colors):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post20497379

Even pros do the calibration manually (pterodactyl):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post19504307

If you have an answer to the above issues, go ahead. That would be a great improvement.

Jack
post #16 of 21 Old 06-02-2011, 10:07 AM

Liked: 11
Hey Jack
thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-bauer View Post
That is a very good idea. But take the following into consideration :

When taking a picture of the screen (Canon PowerShot A700) colors are different from what I (we) see:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopi...1320&start=102
In this case, it's our eye vs. the sensor of the camera but in the above case, it's the sensor of the calibration tool vs itself. so we don't interfere the process with our eyes. it does the first part and then second part with the filters.

Quote:
Eyes always see different wavelengths (colors):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post20497379
Yes, filters let us see different wavelengths at each eye. so I can't comment on this much until I try it with the calibration tool (which I don't have but can convince my self as I am also into graphic design )

Quote:
Even pros do the calibration manually (pterodactyl):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post19504307
Pros do it manually as they know the inner workings, they want to squeeze out every bit of perfectness but I am just a beginner

Quote:
If you have an answer to the above issues, go ahead. That would be a great improvement.

Jack
I'll see how I go, what do the others think as well? Edit: including your other comments as well jack

cheers
post #17 of 21 Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 AM

Hello,

I would like to try out this idea, but since nowadays the glasses seem to have plastic lenses, I was wondering: can they stand the heat if mounted right in front of your beamer?

Anyone tried this? I wouldn't worry with the glass lenses, but plastic?

Thanks a lot.

[I am posting in this old thread since this keeps all of the info about this technique together.]
post #18 of 21 Old 04-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
how do you guys feel about the Dolby setup compared to my omega 3D system. this is a good thread and actually a good place for all the 3D passive ideas from the other thread weve been talking about 3D in ??
the LCD parts are on the way to those who have asked for the exchange. new dual projector kits for LCD will be listed.

post #19 of 21 Old 04-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrft View Post

Hello,

I would like to try out this idea, but since nowadays the glasses seem to have plastic lenses, I was wondering: can they stand the heat if mounted right in front of your beamer?

Anyone tried this? I wouldn't worry with the glass lenses, but plastic?

Thanks a lot.

[I am posting in this old thread since this keeps all of the info about this technique together.]

the heat would be a problem for the new Dolby plastics possibly. i think this is an older thread becuase a lot of us are on this topic in another thread under display devices. but this is a better location for the topic.

post #20 of 21 Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 AM

Hello,
Would like to thank Jack Bauer for his colour calibration system for the Dolby 3D system. His calibration files are in use with two In-focus IN80's fitted with the glass lenses removed from a pair of Dolby 3D glasses.
Using the Stereoscopic Player running with a Windows7/ i7 HTPC. Need to calibrate for my setup rather than using Jack's files but can't get "Dolby 3D.exe" to work with Windows7 or Vista as Winbatch crashes with a 1009 error code (Have tried XP compatability modes) Any suggestions please other than installing Windows XP.
Overall quality is good with excellent 3D depth and clarity. I'm using a high gain retro-reflective screeen with one projector inverted & ceiling mounted and the other wall mounted (non inverted) on a copy stand which gives height adjustment for best 3D/2D viewing.

Posting in this old thread to keep information updated
post #21 of 21 Old 11-09-2012, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I recognize those red glasses, the Dolby 3d ones. We went and saw Prometheus and they had those. They gave my wife a headache and she left the theater. I couldn't get my pair clean, they were smudged with finger prints on both sides. The lenses were very small. They were also much darker than my LG pair I brought to compare. I will not be seeing any more movies in Dolby 3D. I'm going to find a theater that has RealD and check that out, I think if it's like the LG glasses will be much better and less headaches. I noticed I was a little fatigued after that movie and I watch 3D quite a bit at home on a passive TV.

I was looking at projectors but it doesn't look like there is really a solution yet for passive. I can't spend that much on glasses. We currently have a 720p projector that we use outside and have around 20 to 30 viewers. I could afford passive glasses which I already have about 20 right now anyway. Does the passive 3D projector have 2 lenses or are you buying 2 projectors? Sounds like it may be a little early for a 3D projector for me.

This line intentionally left blank.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Optoma Hd66 Dlp 3d Ready Home Theater Projector , Acer H5360 3d Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - H5360 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page