What kind of business model are HDTV mfgs running? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-14-2011, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am ready to buy a new HDTV; actually, have been for two months. Our Pioneer HDTV is 8+ years old and I want to upgrade. Need a 65" set and, realistically, have a budget of $4-5,000. And there is nothing available. None of the 2011 sets are out yet and the stock on 2010 models was depleted long ago. How does that work as a business model? Can't imagine any car mfg. not having models available for sale for over an entire quarter of the year. The logic of Panny and Sammy escapes me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-16-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Where are you shopping? At the Sears where I work we can order 65" Panny ST30s and have the 64" Samsung PN64D550 on display, that's a couple of readily available 3D sets right now, and there are more choices in 2D models, like the 70" Sharp 732 series LED/LCD.

Admittedly there has been a gap this year in that old models ran out before a good selection of new models were readily available. This isn't the mfgs. fault, more the stores under-ordering the old models to avoid having a lot of leftover stock of old models that would have to go at closeout prices when the new models arrived.

Unlike the auto business where a mfg. can to a certain extent dictate to it's franchised dealers how many cars they must accept from the mfg. TV retailers can and do decide how many sets they're going to order.

Steve S.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page