PS3 in 3D, does setting the screen size in the options matter? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does it make a difference? I ask because I had set to 60 inches the first day and Hubble 3D looked amazing, things popped out and everything looked awesome. I changed it to 100 inches last night and the effect was not as poppy. Both times the PJ was projecting at around 100 inches.

Or are my eyes playing tricks on me. Even my wife noticed tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 11:47 AM

I have the same question but haven't been able to find a good answer yet.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 02:43 PM

Liked: 11
yes it does make a difference, at least on games. i tested out various settings on my 135" screen, from 40" to 200" to see if there was any depth differences or what, i can't remember exactly what the difference was, it may have affected the default convergence but the correct setting felt a lot more comfortable than either extreme. i think you are right in that the smaller setting gives the impression of more depth and separation....but it felt less natural than the correct setting. the 200" setting felt more flat as well but i don't specifically remember what else, i may have to test it again with some other games. it would make sense to need to "enhance" the depth affect for games on smaller displays since you have less to work with, but changes on big displays can be more subtle.

this screen size setting also exists on my standalone blu ray player, so it might have something to do with aligning the image on movies as well, but i haven't tested that.
post #4 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know how it works but what lunaluagua says make since. The screen size setting is important, but it will most likely detect your tv and set itself to the correct size.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post
I don't know how it works but what lunaluagua says make since. The screen size setting is important, but it will most likely detect your tv and set itself to the correct size.
No, there's no way for a piece of equipment to detect screen size over hdmi, only resolution capabilities.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post
No, there's no way for a piece of equipment to detect screen size over hdmi, only resolution capabilities.
The display size is part of the HDMI communication, so it can be automatically detected. However, only starting with HDMI 1.4 has the size been able to go above 255cm.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post
I have 2 3d tvs one with a ps3 and the other a samsung 3d blu-ray player. They both detected my screen size and automatically set the screen size of my 46'' and 55'' tvs.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I stand corrected. Must just be my Oppo needs it entered manually...
post #9 of 14 Old 04-30-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 612
What is this function for? Is it for 3d or just for 2d -> 3d conversion? It popped up on my PS3 for the first time yesterday when I connected my new AE8000U and I set it, then I noticed the projector has a similar setting to configure. I wonder if setting them both is a problem?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #10 of 14 Old 07-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In PS3 stereoscopic 3D games, the screen size is used to scale the strength of the 3D effect.
The strength of a 3D effect depends on the angles between your eyes and the screen : but the content on screen is based on pixels. It's a simple geometry problem.

If shown the exact same content on TV of different sizes, the angles your eyes make with the screen will be different, and the strength of the 3D effect will be different.
If incorrectly set, you may get a picture way too strong where your eyes diverge if you try to watch it in 3D (very painful, breaks the 3D effect instantly).
If incorrectly set the other way, you may get a picture that looks very flat even though you have set the maximum strength in the game's 3D setting.

-if you tell the PS3 you have a smaller TV than you really have, the console will boost the 3D strength in games
-if you tell the PS3 you have a bigger TV than you really have, the console will shrink the 3D strength in games

This only works in games (where the console generates the 3D in real time by controlling the two virtual cameras), it doesn't work in movies (where the cameras were set by the movie director and his stereo technician).
The console may be trying to slide the pictures relative to one another in order to alter the convergence point, however I am not aware of the PS3 doing this, especially with BluRays.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

Last edited by BlackShark; 07-07-2014 at 01:50 PM.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-08-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 612
I'm not sure about that last part.

"This only works in games (where the console generates the 3D in real time by controlling the two virtual cameras), it doesn't work in movies (where the cameras were set by the movie director and his stereo technician).
The console may be trying to slide the pictures relative to one another in order to alter the convergence point, however I am not aware of the PS3 doing this, especially with BluRays."

It suppose it might be placebo but when watching blurays it seems I can tell a difference when I change the PS3's 3d display size??!???!???!???

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #12 of 14 Old 07-10-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I'm not sure about that last part.

"This only works in games (where the console generates the 3D in real time by controlling the two virtual cameras), it doesn't work in movies (where the cameras were set by the movie director and his stereo technician).
The console may be trying to slide the pictures relative to one another in order to alter the convergence point, however I am not aware of the PS3 doing this, especially with BluRays."

It suppose it might be placebo but when watching blurays it seems I can tell a difference when I change the PS3's 3d display size??!???!???!???
I don't believe it would do this because doing so causes a mismatch in the sides of the frames and either cropping or scaling to accommodate.

I haven't tested this myself but I would be very surprised if it alters the alignment or scaling of the L/R frames due to screen size.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #13 of 14 Old 07-19-2014, 02:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Adjusting this value is the only way your going to get close to the holodeck-like experience that 3D users on PC have (at least with proper settings). Human stereo vision is very sensitive, so small changes in viewing distance and screensize all have an effect on how the 3D is perceived. In general, the closer you sit, which i recommend for more immersion since the screen fills more of your FOV, the more you want to separate the images ( lower the screen size value) up to the distance between your eyes (your IPD, or interpupilary distance). Objects in the distance should be what your paying attention to, those should be widest, but not exceed your IPD. I match it with my IPD, but i sit a meter away from a 46" screen. The further away you sit, the more you "push" objects back into the TV, lessening the need to increase the separation.

I'd be worth finding out if this effects movies, because movies are a huge compromise, but you can sort of compensate and get a window-to-another-world effect (real damn 3D) by increasing the separation and sitting closer.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-20-2014, 04:54 AM

Liked: 0
those should be widest, but not exceed your IPD. I match it with my IPD, but i sit a meter away from a 46" screen. The further away you sit, the more you "push" objects back into the TV, lessening the need to increase the separation.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page