Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 343 Old 02-22-2012, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mureta View Post

Once in a while the brightness flickers a little bit. What could it be? My Dynalight setting is off.

Peter

Mine does the same..Can't turn it off very annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 343 Old 02-23-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mureta View Post

In general, I am pretty happy with my 47'' TL515U set.
I have a minor issue though.

Once in a while the brightness flickers a little bit. What could it be? My Dynalight setting is off.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoejgde View Post

Mine does the same..Can't turn it off very annoying.

Try turning the "Auto brightness sensor" to off.

It's in the advanced picture settings menu, right above Dynalight.
post #273 of 343 Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajtai View Post

Try turning the "Auto brightness sensor" to off.

It's in the advanced picture settings menu, right above Dynalight.

It's off..Seems the tv has a little bit of LED dimming that can't be turned off.
post #274 of 343 Old 02-24-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
It's off..Seems the tv has a little bit of LED dimming that can't be turned off.
Thats it!
I also applied the CNET settings (there are two kinds), both have Auto brightness sensor off.

I attach a txt file that contains the calibration settings. The only one I did not change was the sharpness. I set that to zero.

Peter

CNETCalibration.txt 1.4462890625k . file
post #275 of 343 Old 02-25-2012, 07:33 AM

Thinking about taking the plunge on this TV. Have they fixed most of the issues in the latest firmware updates? Is it still taking 30 seconds to turn on (or is that just if it's connected to wireless?)? You can get it for about $1200 now, which seems a good price for a 55" LED that's pretty feature-rich and even comes with the 3D glasses in the box.
post #276 of 343 Old 02-25-2012, 02:15 PM

Never had a problem upconverting 2d to 3d with ps3. With black ops esp when in 3d mode it lags like crazy LG5300 when I upconvert the quality is almost the same with no game lag. I lose a bit of depth when I zoom in to fire so no worries on that. I honestly dont understand how people can complain or claim the see a res drop on a passive. The only time I lose res is when the kids and i play split screen and I put it on sbs and we use the modded glasses i made so we both have full screen.. the absolute only time!!!
post #277 of 343 Old 02-25-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader999 View Post

Thinking about taking the plunge on this TV. Have they fixed most of the issues in the latest firmware updates? Is it still taking 30 seconds to turn on (or is that just if it's connected to wireless?)? You can get it for about $1200 now, which seems a good price for a 55" LED that's pretty feature-rich and even comes with the 3D glasses in the box.

Where can you get it for 1,200 at?
post #278 of 343 Old 02-26-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder what the CNET Calibration would do for the smaller sets of this series... Having a 32" coming my way, I'm wondering whether these sliders would need to be altered.
Although up until I upgrade to an HD 7970 or wait for a high-end Kepler GPU in my PC, I'll have to settle for 2D - 3D conversion when it comes to PC gaming.

Although for the price I got the 32" at, some places have the 42" easily for around the same price, but for each their own...

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #279 of 343 Old 02-26-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkerner View Post

Where can you get it for 1,200 at?

Overstock has them.
post #280 of 343 Old 02-26-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for that calibration settings file, Mureta. However, it was almost unreadable in Notepad, so I rewrote it in a more readable format, here's that:

Code:
CNET Calibration 
Toshiba XXTL515U 3D LED HDTV
-----
With DynaLight ON
Picture Settings Menu:
Picture Mode     Movie 1 or 2
Backlight        64
Contrast         90
Brightness        1
Color             0
Tint              0
Sharpness       -50
Advanced Picture Settings Submenu:
ColorMaster      Off
Base Color Adj.  [Grayed Out]
Color Temp.      0
Auto Brightness  [Off]
Dynalight        On
Dynamic Contrast 0
Static Gamma     4
Noise Reduction  Both Settings Off
Edge Enhancer    Off
ClearScan 240    On
Film Stabilizer  Standard
Expert Picture Settings Submenu
TestPattern      Off
RGB Filter       All three colors On, Color/Tint 0
White Balance    Window Display Off
2 pt. WhtBalance 
Red Offset       -1
Green Offset     -1
Blue Offset       1
Red Gain          3
Green Gain        5
Blue Gain         0
Pic Size Remote   Native
-----
With DynaLight OFF
Picture Settings Menu:
Picture Mode      Movie 1 or 2
Backlight         43
Contrast          90
Brightness         4
Color              0
Tint               0
Sharpness        -50
Advanced Picture Settings Submenu
ColorMaster       Off
Base Color Adj.   See Below
Color Temp.        0
Static Gamma      -2
Noise Reduction    Both Settings Off
Edge Enhancer      Off
ClearScan 240      On
Film Stabilizer    Standard
Expert Picture Settings Submenu
TestPattern        Off
RGB Filter         All three colors On, Color/Tint 0
White Balance      Window Display Off
2 pt Wht Balance
Red Offset         5
Green Offset       4
Blue Offset        4
Red Gain          -3
Green Gain         0
Blue Gain         -5
Pic Size Remote    Native

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #281 of 343 Old 02-26-2012, 09:39 PM

Ok just got a 42TL515U 2 weeks ago and played with the settings...questions...

1. Does having ColorMaster ON and not changing the values makes a difference compared when you have it off?

2. Is there anyway I can have it fixed to where it always just use "Native" picture resolution?

3. Do you recommend Dynamic Range Control for 5.1 Speaker setup through Optical?

Thanks!
post #282 of 343 Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader999 View Post

Overstock has them.

But it's a refurb. That won't hinder the quality will it?
post #283 of 343 Old 02-28-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorlanm View Post

Ok just got a 42TL515U 2 weeks ago and played with the settings...questions...

1. Does having ColorMaster ON and not changing the values makes a difference compared when you have it off?

2. Is there anyway I can have it fixed to where it always just use "Native" picture resolution?

3. Do you recommend Dynamic Range Control for 5.1 Speaker setup through Optical?

Thanks!

2.Menu>Preferences>Display Settings>Auto Aspect>OFF
post #284 of 343 Old 02-28-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Before I receive my 32TL515U myself, I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the ones that B&H Photo were carrying are actually new, or if they are refurbs like Overstock has.

post #285 of 343 Old 03-02-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:

I'm thinking of getting a refurbished 47TL515U from Tiger Direct. Is this dimming/flickering issue resolved?
post #286 of 343 Old 03-02-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixolydian12 View Post

I'm thinking of getting a refurbished 47TL515U from Tiger Direct. Is this dimming/flickering issue resolved?

No but the dimming isn't to bad..I mostly notice it when playing games.
post #287 of 343 Old 03-02-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:

No but the dimming isn't to bad..I mostly notice it when playing games.

Thanks, I suppose I may buy it elsewhere "new" to have better flexibility to return it.
post #288 of 343 Old 03-03-2012, 08:37 AM

i just picked up the 42inch version of this tv on amazon warehouse for 600 bucks . it was their only one. Hope it works XD. By the way, how does one go about updating the firmware on this bad boy? can i do it over the internet or do i have to get a tech to come to my house and do it?

by the way the same tv is on sale on amazon for 850 dollars new.
post #289 of 343 Old 03-06-2012, 07:12 AM

Liked: 12
This is now the TV I'm targeting to buy. Waiting to see it dip more in price though yet not go out of stock everywhere.
post #290 of 343 Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 AM

Its an awesome TV...specialy for the price considering all the features it comes with...I was kinda skeptical about Edge Lit dimming...but i guess it works good enough that Sony's 2012 line up will have the same feature...

On the other note...I have some questions...

1. Does turning Dynalight OFF still give you the 240Hz effect?

2. Sometimes with my PS3 and XBOX360 feeding through HDMI, I get the right 1920x1080 but sometimes I get 1920x1081 (With a diefferent Pic Size menu) Why is that?
post #291 of 343 Old 03-07-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorlanm View Post

Its an awesome TV...specialy for the price considering all the features it comes with...I was kinda skeptical about Edge Lit dimming...but i guess it works good enough that Sony's 2012 line up will have the same feature...

On the other note...I have some questions...

1. Does turning Dynalight OFF still give you the 240Hz effect?

2. Sometimes with my PS3 and XBOX360 feeding through HDMI, I get the right 1920x1080 but sometimes I get 1920x1081 (With a diefferent Pic Size menu) Why is that?

2. Sometimes i also get 1920x1081 59Hz
post #292 of 343 Old 03-07-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
To paraphrase Michael Keaton in Mr. Mom, "1080, 1081...whatever it takes."

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #293 of 343 Old 03-08-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Only thing I regret is that I could have very easily gotten the 42" for the same price that I got the 32" for...BUT, I don't have room on my PC cart for one, and considering that I am using this in front of a computer and a PS3 almost all day, I wouldn't even dare going any larger at this point... You're talking, like, 3 to 4 feet from the screen max, so yeah, 42" would wind up ruining the 3D effects of this screen. Not to mention that I found out that the TL515U is 3D Play (not 3D Vision) compatible with nVidia, but either way, I'll definitely be trying some 3D PC gaming come time Kepler GPUs hit (I currently have an HD 5850 in my system, and I know AMD doesn't have any 3D technology with that one).

post #294 of 343 Old 03-09-2012, 08:49 AM

Got more questions...

1. Does it make a difference if you just turn Color Master ON?

2. Any of you guys use the TV with Dynalight OFF?

3. What MPEG NR and DNR setting you guys recommend?
post #295 of 343 Old 04-07-2012, 09:54 AM

yo, after getting my cheapo tv from amazon warehouse i want to say that this tv is AWESOME! I use it mainly as a pc monitor and a console gaming screen. I have the 42' version.

Just a general warning though, this tv does take around 25 seconds to turn on and channel switching is SLOW. If this is a deal breaker then look elsewhere.

That out of the way, if you use this for gaming it is SUPERB. No input lag if you set it up right. The netflix app on this sucker is also pretty sweet, i use it every night to watch 30 rock :P.

Now lets talk about the 3d.
2d->3d conversion works well but to be honest i dont find myself using it often, i prefer my 3d media to be native for really nice effects.
3d is GREAT on this set if you sit about 8 feet away from the screen so if you're using it to watch 3d movies from your pc its good if you can sit back. That being said, if you play 3d games via 3dvision you need to sit back as close to 8 feet as you can or you'll see jaggies that result from your brain trying to put together two half resolution images from each eye into 1 full 1080p resolution image. 3dplay from nvidia is freaking awesome on this tv because for some reason no frame packing occurs. I think this is because of the half resolution to each eye thing that passive tvs use. If you sit back 8 feet you get the same quality as a 3dvision monitor without as big of a performance hit which is HUGE.

3d vision works properly on this tv if you install the zalman 3d monitor edid override on your pc which can be found online. For some reason it also unlocked 3dplay for me for free. Pretty odd but nice
post #296 of 343 Old 04-09-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by systox View Post

yo, after getting my cheapo tv from amazon warehouse i want to say that this tv is AWESOME! I use it mainly as a pc monitor and a console gaming screen. I have the 42' version.

Just a general warning though, this tv does take around 25 seconds to turn on and channel switching is SLOW. If this is a deal breaker then look elsewhere.

That out of the way, if you use this for gaming it is SUPERB. No input lag if you set it up right. The netflix app on this sucker is also pretty sweet, i use it every night to watch 30 rock :P.

Now lets talk about the 3d.
2d->3d conversion works well but to be honest i dont find myself using it often, i prefer my 3d media to be native for really nice effects.
3d is GREAT on this set if you sit about 8 feet away from the screen so if you're using it to watch 3d movies from your pc its good if you can sit back. That being said, if you play 3d games via 3dvision you need to sit back as close to 8 feet as you can or you'll see jaggies that result from your brain trying to put together two half resolution images from each eye into 1 full 1080p resolution image. 3dplay from nvidia is freaking awesome on this tv because for some reason no frame packing occurs. I think this is because of the half resolution to each eye thing that passive tvs use. If you sit back 8 feet you get the same quality as a 3dvision monitor without as big of a performance hit which is HUGE.

3d vision works properly on this tv if you install the zalman 3d monitor edid override on your pc which can be found online. For some reason it also unlocked 3dplay for me for free. Pretty odd but nice

hi, you say you get no lag if you set it up right.

i also use it mainly as a pc monitor . i noticed that when i just use hdmi it seems like the mouse lags slighly behind my movements. i have all dnr and fancy features turned off, and i am plugged into hdmi 4 which is the pc input and labeled it pc

however i noticed that when you install the edid override (the one with hdmi audio disabled -zalman i think) that the lag almost completely goes away

have you noticed this?.
post #297 of 343 Old 04-11-2012, 07:52 PM

hey, i went back to stock inf to test out the input lag drow hunter. it seemed to be nothing just like with the zalman custom infs. By the way guys HUGE thing i left out. If you use the custom EDID Overide for great 3d vision support, YOU HAVE TO WEAR the glasses upside down. you look like a dork but its not uncomfortable (surprisingly). Also protip for 3d: Turn sharpness to about -45 when playing with 3dvision on or you will see nasty crosstalk. Image quality does not decrease with lower sharpness. Idk why, doesnt seem to have a bad effect in 3d...

p.s. drow hunter, on your computer and in games maek sure you have vsync, windows mouse precision, and any custom game mouse acceleration turned off for best results with input lag. the rest im sure you can figure out from settings on your tv.

jorlann, from my understanding color master has no effect if its on with default settings. i turn it off just in case to reduce post processing for video games.
post #298 of 343 Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowhunter View Post

hi, you say you get no lag if you set it up right.

however i noticed that when you install the edid override (the one with hdmi audio disabled -zalman i think) that the lag almost completely goes away

have you noticed this?.

I don't have a Toshiba but I can test this out and report back if that happens to me also with a LG 55LW5600 using a Radeon 5870.
post #299 of 343 Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 AM

skyguy for your tv, just in case you are not... you should follow these guides:
http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=13&t=2042
and this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1344018
post #300 of 343 Old 04-13-2012, 11:55 PM

Hello there People, happy to have found this community! We just purchased the 47TL515U a couple of weeks ago to replace our old 40RV525U we had hooked up to our PC and so far so good. No problems with the TV, amazing picture, great 3d. The only issues we have are 1) With the Zalman overdrive we can get the 3dvision test to work fine, but gaming brings massive artifacts. Tridef does the trick but we would like to get Nvidia vision working as well. (3DTV play with it's 24hz 1080 does not cut it)
2) Our expert picture settings is grayed out in the picture menu. O.o Advanced picture settings is accessible, but expert is a no go. I have called Toshiba and they couldn't figure it out, so I suspected the people at best buy must have borked the setting/crippled the firmware to help up-sell their $300 calibration.
I called them and they said they didn't understand why mine was grayed out, and that another model they tested there had the same problem.
FW is 2.2.2
Thank-you.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Toshiba , 3d Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page