post #91 of 343 Old 07-20-2011, 01:28 PM
t60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion11236 View Post
does the 47 inch also have the same problem ?
I don't have a 47 inch, but from my understanding they share the same software, just different panel sizes. To me, it seems like these are firmware issues that just need to get addressed. I don't have the patience in waiting for an update so I think I will stick with the tried and true units now (i.e., those with plenty of reviews here).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 343 Old 07-20-2011, 01:46 PM

Has anyone called Toshiba to see if they will have a new firmware soon to correct some of the problems?

I just received this TV this morning and the first thing that I noticed was a long wait time for the TV to be turned on. I think that it took about 15 - 20 seconds. I bet that this will cause my kids to press the power button multiple times from the confusion of whether the TV is on or off and will certainly cause frustration. They are only 7 and 5 years old.
post #93 of 343 Old 07-20-2011, 05:09 PM

I've had a bunch of issues with this TV ever since I first turned it on. I went through the quick setup and chose the Antenna option, just in case there was an internal antenna, and scanned for channels. After it scanned and found no channels, I clicked OK to "Start watching TV". I let it sit for a moment and it loaded to the static screen. A few seconds later the static screen froze up. I had to turn the TV off and back on at which point I setup my wireless.

I checked for firmware updates, but it hung up while apparently installing the firmware update. Now the TV just acts crazy. The only button that works is the Power Button and that only responds after several seconds. The buttons on the set don't work either. I can only get the buttons working for about 10 seconds if I unplug the TV for a few minutes first. I've found I can quickly get to the reset TV option and this will allow me to go through the quick setup again and, as long as I don't plug in a network cable or setup wireless, I can use most of the TV functions without locking up.

I've called Toshiba and they are sending me a USB Flash Drive for performing a manual firmware update. I hope it helps. I've been waiting almost a week for it and I really want to get my TV fixed. Does anyone have a copy of the firmware file for the TL515U series so I can try it sooner rather than later?
post #94 of 343 Old 07-20-2011, 06:28 PM

I just reset my tv (not hooking back up to internet) in hopes of not having anymore screen blinking problems,i'll report back tomorrow.
post #95 of 343 Old 07-20-2011, 06:55 PM

i have had the 55TL515u for a month and have had zero problems with it in 2d or 3d mode. It runs the directv HD-DVR in 2d great and the (4) 3d channels work outstanding as well. I also have a PS3 and plays games and bluray 2d/3d movies fine with no issues. i also have a Sony BDP-S770 that also plays both 2d/3d just fine no flickering no hang ups. the wireless apps all aork fine netflix etc.
the TV gets used daily about 5-8 hours per day.
post #96 of 343 Old 07-20-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum101 View Post

I've called Toshiba and they are sending me a USB Flash Drive for performing a manual firmware update. I hope it helps. I've been waiting almost a week for it and I really want to get my TV fixed. Does anyone have a copy of the firmware file for the TL515U series so I can try it sooner rather than later?

they have the firmware on their site for download.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...Family=2838041
post #97 of 343 Old 07-20-2011, 07:18 PM
t60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tec319 View Post

i have had the 55TL515u for a month and have had zero problems with it in 2d or 3d mode. It runs the directv HD-DVR in 2d great and the (4) 3d channels work outstanding as well. I also have a PS3 and plays games and bluray 2d/3d movies fine with no issues. i also have a Sony BDP-S770 that also plays both 2d/3d just fine no flickering no hang ups. the wireless apps all aork fine netflix etc.
the TV gets used daily about 5-8 hours per day.

Strange, perhaps a few of us just got duds? Glad to hear someone has one they're happy with. If they address the flickering issue, app lag, and shorten the TV "off to on" duration I would highly recommend the TV. I just hope it really is some kind of firmware/software issue.
post #98 of 343 Old 07-20-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tec319 View Post

they have the firmware on their site for download.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...Family=2838041

Thanks, but that's only the pdf instructions to download the firmware directly on the TV, not the firmware itself.
post #99 of 343 Old 07-21-2011, 09:51 AM

Yesterday, I received the Toshiba 55TL515u from US-applicance.com and so far I have not had any issues. I use the default firmware and did not do any upgrading.
Things that I have done:

1. Watched regular TV using over-the-air indoor antenna and the main common HD channels such as NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox works great. No issues.

2. I plugged in the POPBOX 3D media player with an external USB drive and I was able to watch .mkv and .iso 2D movies without issues. I then play half-SBS and full-SBS .mkv 3D movies without issues. The 3D effects are really good. It really pops out at you. I only had time to watch Megamind 3D and IMAX: Under the Sea 3D.

Things that I have not done and will do it tonight includes:

1. Adjust the picture setting. The picture quality is pretty dark with the default setting.
Does anyone have a good picture quality setting for this TV that I can try out?. I like the picture quality to be brighter. I guess I will have to play with the picture setting tonight.

2. I will try 3D PS3 games tonight.

3. I will use my HTPC with 3D capable 1.4 hdmi nvidia 440 graphic card to try out the numerous blu-ray 3D .iso that I have to test out the 3D effects.

4. Hook up the ethernet to try out some of the internet feature. I think it has a built-in wi-fi so I may try it out first and if it does not work well, then I will do the ethernet function.

Besides the dark picture quality, I have not had any flickering that I noticed. However, it is annoying to have to wait 15-20 seconds for the TV to turn on.

One thing that I would like to add to this TV is the Yamaha YSP-5100BL sound bar. This Toshiba TV is in my bedroom so I don't want to have speakers and amplifiers in there. It is funny because this Yamaha sound bar will be more expensive than this 55" 3D TV. Amazing how fast the price of HDTV come down in price.
post #100 of 343 Old 07-21-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoejgde View Post

I just reset my tv (not hooking back up to internet) in hopes of not having anymore screen blinking problems,i'll report back tomorrow.

After playing games and watching a few movies (tried using my Antenna but wouldn't pick up any channels?) my tv screen doesn't blink anymore

Hopefully TOSHIBA releases a firmware that fixes the issues.
post #101 of 343 Old 07-21-2011, 04:54 PM
t60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoejgde View Post

After playing games and watching a few movies (tried using my Antenna but wouldn't pick up any channels?) my tv screen doesn't blink anymore

Hopefully TOSHIBA releases a firmware that fixes the issues.

Good to hear -- wonder if it had to do with wireless access or internet in general. I definitely had it hooked up to wireless the whole time.
post #102 of 343 Old 07-21-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t60 View Post

Good to hear -- wonder if it had to do with wireless access or internet in general. I definitely had it hooked up to wireless the whole time.

I have not connect the TV to internet and I don't have any flickering so far.
post #103 of 343 Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Why would anyone putup with this crap from Toshiba, just to save a few dollars by not buying the major brands ? There is a reason why toshiba cost less, now you know why, return it, I did....
post #104 of 343 Old 07-22-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

Why would anyone putup with this crap from Toshiba, just to save a few dollars by not buying the major brands ? There is a reason why toshiba cost less, now you know why, return it, I did....

toshiba is the same as sony, lrg, and other brand
toshiba soon will catch up to those other brands in tv

in laptop toshiba built a better notebook than dell, hp and those other company
post #105 of 343 Old 07-22-2011, 10:02 PM

I posted this in another thread, but CNET has now reviewed the 47TL515U. Not a great rating:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...sts;msg5170801

Have any of you experienced the backlight fluctuation issue they complain about? Or the CMS problems?

They also posted their settings, for those interested:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...sageId=5170801

I also wonder if the blinking some of you are experiencing is an HDMI handoff issue. Are all of you with that problem hooked up via HDMI?
post #106 of 343 Old 07-25-2011, 04:49 PM
t60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in MD View Post

I also wonder if the blinking some of you are experiencing is an HDMI handoff issue. Are all of you with that problem hooked up via HDMI?

When I had this issue it wasn't only my HDMI sources, it was Netflix as well.
post #107 of 343 Old 07-25-2011, 07:57 PM

Sounds like it isn't a handoff issue. So much for my diagnostic skills. But that doesn't keep me from trying again to solve a problem I know nothing about!!!

If folks have reset their TVs and solved the problem, it is almost certainly firmware, perhaps a timing issue that gets introduced when the internet is active, that forces the TV to briefly shut down the CEVO engine to reset the timing each time the conflict occurs. Given the newness of the CEVO engine, and the expansion of the internet suite, that doesn't surprise me, as Toshiba couldn't just use the same old code they've been using in prior years -- code that has already been beta tested by many thousands of owners.

Not only does the processor have to run new capabilities, its multiple cores probably run code completely differently, certainly at different speeds and in parallel, which could create a problem that the coders might not have caught. Good news is that these sorts of problems are usually easily fixable, once the root cause is located. Here's hoping somebody at Toshiba is monitoring these boards and that they can replicate the problem, so they can determine the source and fix it.

Actually this problem doesn't worry me as much as some of the things CNET found with the CMS and backlight fluctuations that make the TV impossible to calibrate and hurts PQ. Has anybody experienced these issues? I assume that Toshiba did read the CNET review, and is hard at work finding fixes... for next year's models, at a minimum.

Yeah, ouch.
post #108 of 343 Old 07-30-2011, 11:01 PM

My friend just purchased the Toshiba 55" passive 55TL515U in this thread. He chose this over the LG and asked me to set it up.

The darkening/lightening of the scenes I believe some of you are referring to is due to the "adaptive contrast" "dynamic contrast" or "auto contrast" most factory pre-sets have turned on. I've seen this in other hdtv's too that settings aren't setup manually. The "auto-view" setting under picture presets on this TV have it on and can't be disabled (I-believe). You must choose another pre-set (movie 1, sports, ect.) then manually edit the settings. You must also set up the picture settings on each of your active inputs INDIVIDUALY. I thought I may have seen a way to copy the settings, but I am not certain.

Find "Dynamic Contrast" and set it to either 0 or -5 (Try em both see what dims less from scene to scene) Make Sure the back light is all the way up 50. And boost the static gamma up until you find a desirable level (not tooo bright to where the colors wash out). And see if that helps with the dark/light transitions and/or too dark of a picture. This TV can be very bright (I have seen brighter) when set up properly.

If the problem they are describing is something different than a slow darkening from scene to scene, then there may be a problem with the backlight of the model, that I did not see at all on the unit I set-up.

The images and experience that I received from this TV at my friends was phenomenal. But, we set up the image settings and installed new firmware (didn't watch with original firmware) We watched 3d blu-ray, PS3 Call of Duty: black Ops, and 2d-3d convesion of standard blu-ray. All of which were great. Wi-Fi set-up just fine. TV does take a longer than expected time to power on.

I noticed none of the resolution reduction touted by active 3d proponents. No scan lines, flicker, and only when I stood up and viewed from above the TV, did I see any ghosting. PS3 COD:BO was instantly recognized as 3d content and looked stunning. No lag of any kind could I see, the response was fluid and just as fast as in 2d mode that I could tell.

2d-3d conversion was pretty convincing, but obviously not as good as 3d enabled content. There is a setting that can be adjusted only while in this mode, that allows you to increase the depth. Turning it all the way up improved the 2d-3d effect.

There are a lot of settings in this TV that can overwhelm some people. My experience with most newer HDTV's is that factory pre-sets suck. In order to get the most out of the picture they have to be manually adjusted. And I have had a couple of people tell me their TV is broke because the screen keeps getting dark. And adjusting the one setting that is "adaptive contrast" or "Auto Contrast" fixed it completely, although it does help increase life on standard florescent backlights by dimming certain scenes. LED TV's I crank em bright.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps.
post #109 of 343 Old 08-01-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkarrdGuitar View Post

My friend just purchased the Toshiba 55" passive 55TL515U in this thread. He chose this over the LG and asked me to set it up.

The darkening/lightening of the scenes I believe some of you are referring to is due to the "adaptive contrast" "dynamic contrast" or "auto contrast" most factory pre-sets have turned on. I've seen this in other hdtv's too that settings aren't setup manually. The "auto-view" setting under picture presets on this TV have it on and can't be disabled (I-believe). You must choose another pre-set (movie 1, sports, ect.) then manually edit the settings. You must also set up the picture settings on each of your active inputs INDIVIDUALY. I thought I may have seen a way to copy the settings, but I am not certain.

Yeah you can import the color settings into all inputs. it's under expert picture settings/ white balance/ copy to all imputs.
post #110 of 343 Old 08-15-2011, 04:06 PM

There's a new Firmware update for the TL515U models...I don't know what all of it is for but 1 thing i know is that before this update every 3D game/movie i viewed the 3D Structure was always Top and Bottom but now it's Frame Packed.
post #111 of 343 Old 08-15-2011, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Adds Skype is all I believe.
post #112 of 343 Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 AM

I am happy with my 55TL515U. I have it for a month and no problems.
I did the last update and I got Skype
Do you know what camera works on it?
post #113 of 343 Old 09-06-2011, 07:25 PM

Would it be safe to clean the screen with a damp cloth?..Mine is getting dusty.
post #114 of 343 Old 09-12-2011, 10:43 AM

Liked: 11
Any other input on this TV? I just bought one because I got a good deal on it, even though I wasn't going to buy one for another few months.

I was originally leaning toward Samsung in general, and probably LCD over Plasma, just because that's what I have now and am comfortable with it. But I've been out of the research pool for a while now and there are LOTS of choices to be made.

While I would love to spend more money and potentially get a better set, from what I can find about this Toshiba it seems pretty good, there just isn't a lot of info on it. I just don't know if waiting and spending another $500 (or more) later on would be ultimately better, or maybe foraging into Plasma even. I have a feeling this TV will blow away my current 5-year old Visio, which was decent at the time, but has faded over the years and now has a black shadow over the left 1/3 of the screen. So I'm probably over analyzing it, just trying to avoid the inevitable buyer's remorse...

Any other opinions or reassurances on this TV would be appreciated.
Scott
post #115 of 343 Old 09-12-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum101 View Post

Can anyone confirm that there is not input lag using the Gaming Mode settings on the TL515U series of TVs? I recently bought an LG 47LW5600, but the input lag is way to bad to play Black Ops on my Xbox 360. I want to return it and possibly get a 47TL515U. This TV is on super sale right now (not sure for how long), but I don't want to pull the trigger on another failed gaming TV unless I know the lag is not an issue. Thanks.

I have the 47 inch version and I just got done playing Resistance 3 on PS3 for several hours and there is no lag in FPS games that I notice. I do, however make sure I play in 'Game' Mode. This was a worry of mine as well as I am an avid game player but I wanted a 3d tv. So far I have been extremely happy with this purchase and I do not have any weird flickering problems that other people report. For the record, I am on the newest firmware of the TV.

All I want now are some awesome setting configs from other people :-) . I am curious to know what other people use for gaming and for movies. This TV has a ton of things you can tweak, its pretty cool.

*EDIT* For the record, I was playing it in 3d. I have yet to actually play any games in 2d.
post #116 of 343 Old 09-23-2011, 12:10 PM

Liked: 11
Bump...

TV should be delivered today, but I'm traveling for work so won't be able to unbox and setup until next week. Once I do I'll check it out and post back my findings.

Been having a lot of second thoughts, wondering if I should have waited and spent more $$$ and gotten the Samsung, or even the Sony, been seeing some good deals lately. Especially since I don't see as much about the Toshiba as the LG, Samsung, Panasonic, etc. Or even questioning the age old question of LCD vs Plasma, although I still think my application lends itself better to LCD.

After reading reviews though, seems like every review bashes every TV in several areas, and most of these are being done by videophiles expecting perfect pictures and statistics. So since it's here now, I may as well wait and spend a few days setting it up right and checking out the pic, 3d, etc. as others have and go from there. If I still need to return it, then so be it.

Again, any other input on the Toshiba is appreciated, and I'll add my own hopefully next week.
Scott
post #117 of 343 Old 09-26-2011, 07:32 PM

Ive had the TV for several weeks now and I am still really happy with it. Gears of War 3 looks amazing on it and the blu rays are great too. The only real downer is the fact that it can take 30 seconds to turn on, but that doesn't bother me too much. I have also hooked my PC up to it and played some games ( even 3d games via 3rd party drivers) and it is awesome!

If anyone else still checks this thread, please share your video settings for gaming and movies. I am running cnet's settings for movies, and it seems pretty good, but maybe a little too dark for my taste.

Oh and the internet apps work well, and there are tons of yahoo widgets available now so it should be on par with other tvs. I've streamed several movies to it through vudu and it works and looks awesome.
post #118 of 343 Old 10-02-2011, 07:46 PM

I've had this tv since june and am very happy with the picture quality and the netflix app streaming quality. I calibrated it on all inputs I use with the avsforum calibration disk. Definitely turn off dynamic contrast and adjust the backlight to your room light. That makes a huge difference. Blacks are not like plasma or crt of course, but they are fine with proper calibration.

I have had one very annoying problem though. The audio has frequent drop outs which last a half second or so. There's no real pattern to the problem. It happens on all inputs including netflix. Sometimes it'll go a couple hours just fine and other times it happens every few minutes. Anybody else having this problem?

My setup...

Hdmi in from cable box, xbox 360, ps3, htpc
Optical audio out from tv to onkyo reciever.

I could probably work around the problem by going optical audio straight to the reciever, but that would add the annoyance of switching inputs on both the tv and reciever. Not to mention the tv is supposed to work the way I have it set up and netflix streaming would still have this problem.
post #119 of 343 Old 10-02-2011, 08:37 PM

I hope I spoke too soon about that audio problem. Annoyedness finally beat out laziness. I swiched out the optical cable and so far so good.

On a different topic...

Anyone know of webcams which definitely work for skype on this tv? My ancient (in web cam years) logitech quick cam chat did not work.
post #120 of 343 Old 10-02-2011, 08:56 PM

Hey dp1228, I'm just curious which Onkyo receiver you have. Is it an older model without HDMI switching?

I have the SR607 and have all my sources connected to my receiver by HDMI, with the video going out by HDMI to a single input on my current LCD TV. And, when I get my 55TL515U in a couple days (I can't wait!), I'll do the same as well.

If you can connect yours this way, you'll be able to get the best audio from each source and hopefully not have those audio dropouts.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Toshiba , 3d Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page