post #1 of 113 Old 06-06-2011, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...s-debut-at-e3/

Quote:

Among the new technology unveiled at E3 is the 3D Display , which features a 24” LCD screen with full HD 1080p 3D presentation. Available at retailers nationwide starting this fall, the 3D Display is uniquely enhanced for gaming with a special two-player feature, offering best-in-class visuals in both 2D and 3D. The 3D Display utilizes an exclusive feature that optimizes two-player mode by delivering individual full HD screens, giving each person their own full screen view of the action on the same display while playing co-op or head-to-head.

Quote:

Sony Computer Entertainment Announces 3D Display to Further Expand the World of 3D on PlayStation®3, Hitting Worldwide Market in Fall 2011

Display Features a Special Mode Where Players Can View Individual, Unique, Full-Screen Images of Gameplay When Playing Two-Player Games

TOKYO, June 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) today announced that it will release a 24-inch 3D Display available this fall in Japan, North America, Europe/PAL territories, and Asian countries/regions. For North America, the 3D Display comes bundled with 3D Glasses, an HDMI cable and the highly anticipated Resistance 3 title from Insomniac Games for PlayStation®3 (PS3®) at an attractive recommended retail price (RRP) of US$499.99. 3D Glasses included in the 3D Display bundle will also be sold separately, concurrently with the 3D Display , at RRP of US$69.99 in USA. Through the introduction of this new product, PS3 users will have easy access to all of their 3D entertainment by simply connecting PS3 to the 3D Display.

The 3D Display features a 24-inch full HD LCD display and, in an industry first for its size*1, the display adopts quad-speed frame sequential display technology that is able to minimize crosstalk*2 distortion, delivering stunningly realistic 3D viewing experiences. The 3D Display supports several 3D formats, including "frame packing," "top and bottom" and "side by side," which will offer users various options for enjoying 3D.

The 3D display offers a broad range of other attractive features, including:

Full high-definition display
The display features high contrast (5000:1), wide viewing angle (176 degree) high response time (4ms GTG average), delivering users with crisp high-quality image in stereoscopic 3D, as well as in 2D.

Special feature for two-player mode
Designed to deliver the ultimate gaming experience only possible on the 3D Display, it utilizes new, proprietary technology, that allows two players playing a multi-player game to see individual, unique, full-screen images of gameplay using the bundled 3D Glasses and supported software title.

High quality sound
The 3D Display adopts stereo 2ch+subwoofer speakers that can generate a broad range of sound from low pitch to high pitch. Featuring stereo 2ch incorporated on the side of the screen, right and left sides, and subwoofer on the backside of the screen, users can enjoy games and other entertainment content with high quality and dynamic sound.

Slim, sleek design
Adopting edge-LED lighting as the backlight, the 3D Display is 35 mm thin (the thickest part) and features a curved line form factor that is both stylish and unobtrusive in living spaces, complementing the sleek design of the PS3 system.

3D Glasses
The 3D Glasses come with a rechargeable lithium ion battery to enable quick and efficient charging time. A three minute charge results in three hours of use, while a 45 minute charge provides 30 hours of use.

Versatility for the supported devices
Along with 3D Glasses, the 3D Display comes bundled with an HDMI cable to provide high-definition 3D entertainment out of the box. The display adopts two HDMI input connectors, allowing users to connect the display to the PS3 system as well as to other HDMI-supported device*3. Some devices including PlayStation®2 and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) can be connected to the 3D Display by using a component input connector.

Other features
With quick start-up mode, users will only have to wait for one second after pushing the power button to boot the display. The 3D Display also offers a power saving mode which shifts to auto standby if it does not receive a video signal for more than five seconds. Additionally users can utilize the separately sold BD remote control (CECH-ZRC1), incorporating infrared transmission to operate the 3D Display remotely.

Through the introduction of new peripherals, SCE will continue to further expand the PS3 platform and create a new world of computer entertainment that is only possible on PlayStation.

*1 Researched by SCE. As of June 5, 2011.

*2 Bleeding of the left and right image thus creating image ghosting

*3 The connected device needs to support stereoscopic 3D to enjoy 3D content.

Product Outline

3D Display

Product code
CECH-ZED1

Release date
To be announced by regions after fall, 2011

Recommended
retail price
499.99$US (North America) The price in other countries and regions will be announced by regions when ready.

Display
Screen size: 23.5 inch
Panel type: VA
Optimal Resolution 1920 x 1080
Colors About 16.7 Million
Viewing Angle 176 degrees/176 degrees (Contrast over 10:1)
Color Gamut(CIE1931) 72%
Contrast Ratio 5000:1
Response time 4ms (GTG)*
Backlight Type Edge type, white LED

Sound output
Stereo 2ch (full range, 3W x 2, 28mm)
Sub Woofer (5W, 50mm)

Inputs
HDMI x 2
Video: digital GBR/Y Cb(Pb) Cr(Pr)
Sound: PCM 2ch(32kHz 44.1kHz 48kHz)
Component x 1
Pin jack Y 1Vp-p 0.3V Pb/Pr Cb/Cr 350mVp-p
Pin jack 2channel 500mVrms Impedance more than 47kW

Outputs
Headphone out x 1
3.5mm stereo mini jack

Others
Support IR remote control with BD remote control (CECH-ZRC1)

Electric source
AC100 ~ 240V 50/60Hz

Power consumption
45W (2D viewing mode)
Standby mode; less than 0.2W

Mass
5.7kg (stand included)
4.6kg (stand excluded)

Dimensions
W 650 x H 391 x D 207 mm (stand included)
W 650 x H 346 x D 35 mm (stand excluded)

Included
Power code (1.5m) x 1
3D Glasses set (3D Glasses, Pouch, USB Cable(Type A-micro B, 0.2m)) x 1
HDMI cable (2.0m) x 1
PS3 Software title Resistance 3 x 1*

* Items included in the bundle may vary by regions.

3D Glasses

Product code
CECH-ZEG1

Release date
After Fall 2011, release simultaneously with 3D Display

Recommended retail price
69.99$US (North America). The price in other countries and regions will
be announced by regions when ready.

Mass
About 45g

Dimensions
W 174x H 41 x D 177 mm (in use)
W 174 x H 41 x D 60 mm (folded)

Battery time
About 3 hours for 3 minutes rapid charging, about 30 hours for
45 minutes charging

Included
Pouch x1
USB Cable for charging (Type A-micro B 0.2m) x1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 Old 06-06-2011, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 113 Old 06-06-2011, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I can also hook up my PC to this I am pre-ordering one.
post #4 of 113 Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Probably can run out HDMI from your PC either through a true HDMI port or via a DVI > HDMI adapter.

post #5 of 113 Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Sorry, but 24" is... a joke. I'm temporarily stuck using my old Sharp Aquos 26" LCD (waiting for my new 55D7000 to arrive and the bulb on my 8100 crapped out) and I could not imagine gaming full time on this tiny screen.

I tried playing Blops MP and I literally could not make out my enemies on such a tiny display. The same will hold true for that Sony TV bundle.
post #6 of 113 Old 06-06-2011, 11:16 PM

I would be temped to buy this if it has a good picture and works well as a PC monitor.
post #7 of 113 Old 06-07-2011, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

Sorry, but 24" is... a joke. I'm temporarily stuck using my old Sharp Aquos 26" LCD (waiting for my new 55D7000 to arrive and the bulb on my 8100 crapped out) and I could not imagine gaming full time on this tiny screen.

I tried playing Blops MP and I literally could not make out my enemies on such a tiny display. The same will hold true for that Sony TV bundle.

Some students don't have room for a bigger screen- they game on their PC monitors.

post #8 of 113 Old 06-07-2011, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One thing that I'm confused about is, how are they going to handle splitscreen though? Is it full 16:9? Because most splitscreen games are half height, so that's not going to look nice stretched two-fold.

post #9 of 113 Old 06-07-2011, 08:01 AM

I wonder how they'll do the sound for both people. Do the glasses have headphones build in?
post #10 of 113 Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 AM

Has anyone tried split screen game side to side or top to bottom in 3d mode. technically it should split the image between both eyes. With the new polarized glasses it would be really easy to swap lenses so player 1 and player two see different images. Active glasses would need to be hacked to a new timing. Most 2 player games would work on any system but the aspect ratio would be off.
post #11 of 113 Old 06-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Perfect for desktop gaming at a great price considering it comes with ~120.00 of accessories (game and eyeglasses). I want one!

I want my HDM
post #12 of 113 Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocke86 View Post

Has anyone tried split screen game side to side or top to bottom in 3d mode. technically it should split the image between both eyes. With the new polarized glasses it would be really easy to swap lenses so player 1 and player two see different images. Active glasses would need to be hacked to a new timing. Most 2 player games would work on any system but the aspect ratio would be off.

Yes, it's been done, but as you said, aspect ratio. Most 3DTVs I know of always assume the signal is half width or half height and stretch everything to 2x height or width. I wonder how Sony will handle the aspect ratio. Will they maintain OAR and put black bars in; will they stretch; will they give an option; or (and this one's a longshot imo) will they ask developers to compress two full 16:9 images so that it looks squashed in 2D mode and fine in multi-view mode stretched?

post #13 of 113 Old 06-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

I would consider this if I were
A) A college student with limited room
and
B) Hadn't already purchased a big ass 3DTV for my 3D gaming needs!!!!

Also the split screen is kind of a novel idea...
post #14 of 113 Old 06-07-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

Yes, it's been done, but as you said, aspect ratio. Most 3DTVs I know of always assume the signal is half width or half height and stretch everything to 2x height or width. I wonder how Sony will handle the aspect ratio. Will they maintain OAR and put black bars in; will they stretch; will they give an option; or (and this one's a longshot imo) will they ask developers to compress two full 16:9 images so that it looks squashed in 2D mode and fine in multi-view mode stretched?

I'm told that they will indeed code the games specifically with 16:9 in mind, so it looks like just games going forward will support it similar to how only certain games support 3D; and maybe there will be patches for existing games.

post #15 of 113 Old 06-07-2011, 05:16 PM

Which should I get?

This upcoming sony tv or a vizio passive 3d tv. I now that passive is 1080p/540p and that the upcoming sony model will have active full hd 3d. But I was wondering which would have the best 3d active or passive?
post #16 of 113 Old 06-07-2011, 05:21 PM

$70 just for glasses!!!
post #17 of 113 Old 06-07-2011, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

With split screens for three/four players, the aspect ratio is correct, so I don't see it being a problem with this setup.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #18 of 113 Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

With split screens for three/four players, the aspect ratio is correct, so I don't see it being a problem with this setup.

Sure, but now I'm wondering how many games will actually use the feature. Sony will no doubt support it faithfully, but third parties might not care, just like with any console peripheral.

post #19 of 113 Old 06-07-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Sure, but now I'm wondering how many games will actually use the feature. Sony will no doubt support it faithfully, but third parties might not care, just like with any console peripheral.

My point is, if the game supports split screen, three screens, and four screens, with three and four screens at the proper AR, there is no reason to believe it couldn't support multiview in the proper AR.

Instead of splitting the picture into right and left eye views as in 3D, it splits them into left and right player views.

The only tech required would be in the glasses, which would have to open/close both lenses simultaneously, rather than right/left lenses. The second pair would just sync opposite of the first.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #20 of 113 Old 06-07-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

During the press conference it was said this is entry level to give a 3D option for people who cannot afford it.
post #21 of 113 Old 06-07-2011, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

My point is, if the game supports split screen, three screens, and four screens, with three and four screens at the proper AR, there is no reason to believe it couldn't support multiview in the proper AR.

Instead of splitting the picture into right and left eye views as in 3D, it splits them into left and right player views.

The only tech required would be in the glasses, which would have to open/close both lenses simultaneously, rather than right/left lenses. The second pair would just sync opposite of the first.

Yep. Just saying though... it's going to require conscious effort from developers to support multiview on top of splitscreen, just as support for 3D on top of splitscreen. No matter how easy it may be, devs are going to want a return on their investment, and early on that may mean only Sony will be supporting it very much.

Quote:

Another, more logical way would be Player1-left eye and Player2-right eye, then Player1-right eye and Player2-left eye.

Based on Sony patents, that's on their minds for future sets. But halving the refresh rate on today's TVs would cause too much flicker and color degradation.

post #22 of 113 Old 06-09-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocke86 View Post

Looks like someone did exactly what I was explaining and posted it on youtube! very cool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVJcVPvjUJo
post #23 of 113 Old 11-23-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
A curious lack of user feedback for this monitor...... Anyone here bought this? How is it?

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #24 of 113 Old 12-05-2011, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I bought this display this weekend. Bestbuy had stacks of them.
It replaces my main computer monitor. This is a really nice display.
I watched Cars 2 in 3d last night and the picture was very sharp and good contrast.
NO crosstalk at all. I wonder if thats the 240hz. Glasses fit well and are light and rechargeable.
I bought an extra pair to test the simulview of the included motorstorm game. All you have to do is push the little button ontop of your glasses and it switches to the other view. The only time I saw crosstalk was when one player was in a dark tunnel and the other was out in bright daylight.
I don't like the high glossy glass panel that reflects everything and I really don't like that the volume buttons are in the back. A
The built in speakers both stereo and a tiny sub are the best I've ever heard built into a monitor that I can get rid of my desktop speakers.
As a computer monitor I'm happy with it. Now I just need to find 3d content.
I played Uncharted 3, Gears 3, and the new Ratchet and Clank. The Ratchet game exspecially was impressive in 3d. No lag to speak of or notice of. 5ms maybe?
post #25 of 113 Old 12-10-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

A curious lack of user feedback for this monitor...... Anyone here bought this? How is it?

I was wonder the same thing. I just got this new display today. I can do a review on it of people are interested. Was kind of an impulse by. I game on monitors not TVs. That's the main reason I purchased this.
post #26 of 113 Old 12-11-2011, 03:46 PM

Best Buy just lowered the price to $399.99. So everyone who bought one there, go get a price protection reduction. I don't know if they will do that if you took advantage of the PS3 for $100 bundle special though. Never hurts to ask though. Also available for $399.99 at the sony online store.
post #27 of 113 Old 12-11-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejqly View Post

Best Buy just lowered the price to $399.99. So everyone who bought one there, go get a price protection reduction. I don't know if they will do that if you took advantage of the PS3 for $100 bundle special though. Never hurts to ask though. Also available for $399.99 at the sony online store.

If you did the ps3 special they will not do it. But If you did purchase it by yourself. They will. I just got back from doing so. Also. If you do purchase this set. Buy the official PlayStation remote. Makes everything 100x easier.
post #28 of 113 Old 12-13-2011, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thanks for the notice about the price drop. I went to Bestbuy last night and they refunded me 100 bucks plus tax. Then I turned around and bought Batman Arkham City for something to play in 3d. I'm still loving the monitor but the volume controlls on the back are irritating. I don't want to program my harmoney remote for a computer monitor. I wonder if I can program a cheap all for one remote to work with it just for volume. Just need to use a Sony code?
post #29 of 113 Old 12-13-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post

Thanks for the notice about the price drop. I went to Bestbuy last night and they refunded me 100 bucks plus tax. Then I turned around and bought Batman Arkham City for something to play in 3d. I'm still loving the monitor but the volume controlls on the back are irritating. I don't want to program my harmoney remote for a computer monitor. I wonder if I can program a cheap all for one remote to work with it just for volume. Just need to use a Sony code?

I purchased the official Sony Media remote for $14 the very next day I got this set. Using a remote with this thing makes it 100x easier to use. You can adjust everything much better. Picture settings. Volume. Inputs. I don't anyone should won this set without having a remote with it.

I've been trying to do picture tweaking. Can't seem to get everything right. As of now I don't use it as a PC monitor due to everything looking like crap. It's horrible for movies to. Gaming is the only thing that seems to look good.
post #30 of 113 Old 12-13-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

After using it fully for about a week I plan to do a full review of the set. I'm just giving it a fair chance before reviewing it.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page