LG D2342P 23" Passive 3D LED LCD Monitor - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 260 Old 08-31-2011, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am still trying to figure out exactly how to use this monitor (D2342PN). I purchased it last week as part of a new video editing rig, and will use this to preview 3D output. It is part of a dual monitor setup, where it is the secondary monitor. Lot of great information in this thread, thanks. Before this monitor, I used the anaglyphic red-cyan glasses to watch video that I shot using a GoPro 3D camera(s). I was amazed with the video, and yes, I am new to the 3D world. I was also surprised by the amount of 3D content already available. Some observations.

1) Video mode settings. I poked around trying to find information about how the monitor recognizes the correct 3D video format. This is very confusing, and the included docs do not really give the skinny on it. I do not have a 3D TV (yet), and it is not obvious how this works. I am using the HDMI connection to the GPU. I did try the DVI, and also found the previous mode selection limitations mentioned earlier. I also have the included (updated) TriDef software installed. It appears that 3D video delivered in interlaced format automatically displays in 3d on the monitor (without having manually select on the monitor, it was set to 3D off). Not sure if it the software that does this, or native to the monitor. If I watch SBS format, then I have to manually set the monitor in this mode. So I can watch YouTube 3D video in interlaced, and see the small web page flash viewer video in 3D. If I go full screen, then it will also automatically display proper interlaced format as well. If I watch the YouTube video in SBS, then I have to set the monitor in SBS. This SBS would be painful (re. YouTube video at least) if it was my only monitor, since searching for another 3D video (out of full screen) would warrant a manual monitor setting back to 3D off. If I am not missing something and this is the way the 3D modes work, then it would be really helpful if a remote control were included to quickly select the modes. Ironic how I have a drawer full of remotes that never get used, but here I would actually utilize. I understand that the TriDef software is really leveraged for 3D gaming. Maybe there is some software that can automatically detect and switch to the proper mode?

2) Mode vs quality. There certainly is a lot of discussion on the best 3D format. But all that aside, it appears to me (just by watching) that the SBS shows off the (from YouTube video, or output from the GoPro) 3D better than the interlaced. Maybe I do not have the proper GPU (GT 430), or perhaps it depends on the file's rendered format. After all, video for YouTube is uploaded in SBS format. I realize that YouTube is probably not a good source when determining 3D mode quality. I did hook the monitor up to a PS3 and played a 3D Blu-Ray, and was impressed. I also watched the same DVD on the editing rig, similar results. In either case, I did not have to manually set the 3D mode on the monitor, so I guess 3D DVD player displays the video in interlaced mode?

3) Video editing. I am using Vegas Pro 10d, and am still learning how the 3D flow works. I use this monitor for external preview of the pre-rendered edits. At first I was very disappointed since the modes I favored, interlaced and SBS, both showed almost distorted. After playing with the 3D filter, I was able to adjust the video so it looks great, and still lean toward the SBS, even if there is a resolution drop. I have not rendered the final file, but will see how it turns out.

This is already way longer than I attended I am definitely no expert, and have not really compared 3D displays. Overall I am very happy with this monitor, and thankful the glasses do not cost an arm and leg. This is a huge step from the anaglyphic glasses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 260 Old 08-31-2011, 10:30 PM

Just wondering if anyone has bought aftermarket glasses for this monitor and if they can recomened a brand. The ones from lg in my opinion are flimsy I would prefer prefer wrap round style. Oakly make some but are $150 AU but poloroid make them also and sell for about $50. I have heard some glasses may actually be worse and cause more ghosting is this correct? My monitor should be here mid next week. cheers.
post #63 of 260 Old 09-01-2011, 05:57 AM

@upnboy
Hi friend I bought this monitor because I'm a curious about this techniques.

According to recent technology to watch 3D u need 2 separate pic for separate eyes.

In Active Shutter Solution we take the advantage of our brain's less responsiveness and use the high frequency alternating frames to watch 3D which is of obviously Full Resolution.

In Passive You are not tricking the mind by time but by the resolution.

Where what is done that for a Full Resolution Image Say I Which Contains I_L and I_R
as left and right eye image compressed in half resolution.

So I = f(I_L,I_R)
Let say you monitor has M pixels (which is a 2 to the power something that means always divisible by 2)

then I contains M pixels
I_L and I_R both has M/2 (which is an integer) pixel.
Now the f : the function that combines I_L and I_R into I has different form.

Like SBS we just paste I_L and I_R side by side this kind of mapping in image are generally called Pixel-Mapping

So here f is a non-lossy Pixel-Mapping that means f never destroy any pixel information that present in I_L and I_R

so
for a non-lossy Pixel-Mapping f we have like

no of pixel in f(I1,I2) = no of pixel in (I1) + no of pixel in (I2)

So f stores I_R and I_L in some format according it's definition.

Now another Pixel-Mapping F is used to retrieve I_L and I_R from I which you may say "3D Decoder"

i.e. F(I) will give you I_L and I_R as output .

that is what means by 3D formats

Now The technology is such that either your monitor or glasses (any one of them most probably glasses , that part is really black-box to me right now) does another function : that is Re-Stretching I_R and I_L to double size that means ultimately you eyes sees I_L and I_R as of size M Pixel.

I think LG monitor does the F I mean the decoding thing and Stretching [or You may call it Re-sampling because it's nothing but filling the in-between gaps by their mean or same previous line segment of image] is done at glasses.

But to feel proper 3D you need yo place I_L in your left eye and I_R in Right one. And Also that depends on the proper naming because we may name them reversely while capturing 3D.
(that's where L/R Swap comes into)

Now the F for the LG 3D monitor has various format but all of them has same hardware output. which is ROW INTERLACED format.
That means which ever software you are using that has to convert into this and only in this format.
Don't get me wrong about HDMI. In HDMI what happens is that LG can directly convert from SBS of Above below etc format to ROW INTERLACED. I mean LG then directly does the job of your software.

*Regarding Full Screen 3D and non Full Screen 3D

Generally We watch Youtube in webpage there is a way to watch only you-tube player box in 3D and you need not to zoom full screen. Select the output format in youtube as ROW INTERLACED. You are done wear the glass swap L-R if you don't feel 3D. At least that work in DVI - D .

@bluc
Yeah That's true I think experience should differ from glass to glass.
That's because of the decoding may be I'm not sure.
post #64 of 260 Old 09-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Hi there,

Thanks to all for this discussion. This thread is much useful for me. I do have few questions for people who bought this monitor.

I'm planning to buy it for just watching movies instead of spending heaps on real TV's. Since it has HDMI connectivity. My question is, Can you can connect a normal dvd player and play the downloaded 3d side by side movies ?

I'm buying this just for watching movies. Is this good call for me ? i heard that this monitor lags when in 3D. true ?

My last question is related to 1st one. Can i watch movies without a PC and just bluray/dvd player ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
post #65 of 260 Old 09-01-2011, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluc View Post

Just wondering if anyone has bought aftermarket glasses for this monitor and if they can recomened a brand.

If you're looking for cheap and unfashionable, the Real3D movie theater glasses work just fine. I've been hanging on to them after seeing movies, and now have more pairs than I know what to do with. They have a slightly different color shift than the LG glasses, but that will probably be an issue with any other brand as well.
post #66 of 260 Old 09-02-2011, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deceptron View Post

Can i watch movies without a PC and just bluray/dvd player ?

Yes you can. You need to connect through HDMI and play side by side or what ever format of 3D you have. But Only SBS TAB(Top and Below) And Line Interlaced format can be converted to direct 3D my LG itself you need no more additional 3d device.

1>So You have 3D movies / Bluerays in SBS or TAb or LiNe(line interlaced) format and a 2D player with HDMI output >>>> You can watch 3D

If you have native 3D player like popcorn Hour just make sure they can re-code the 3D format into Row Interlaced 3D format Or simply Use method 1>

2> So you have a different 3D format which is supported by your player and your player can send Row interlaced/SBS/TAB 3D output signal from that [through HDMI /DVI-D/D-SUB]>>>>> You can watch 3D
post #67 of 260 Old 09-02-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deceptron View Post

Can you can connect a normal dvd player and play the downloaded 3d side by side movies ?

My last question is related to 1st one. Can i watch movies without a PC and just bluray/dvd player ?

I haven't tried it myself, but the manual says it supports SBS and frame packed, so any 1920x1080 SBS should work, as well as output from 3D blu-rays on a 3D capable player or PS3. However, there's no audio, so you'll need another device to handle that. I also wouldn't recommend using this as a movie display device unless you don't mind watching your movies no more than a few feet away from the screen.
post #68 of 260 Old 09-03-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

I haven't tried it myself, but the manual says it supports SBS and frame packed, so any 1920x1080 SBS should work, as well as output from 3D blu-rays on a 3D capable player or PS3. However, there's no audio, so you'll need another device to handle that. I also wouldn't recommend using this as a movie display device unless you don't mind watching your movies no more than a few feet away from the screen.

Myself still on the fence about a larger monitor to replace my Sony 2D 70" box, I've watched several 3D movies on this LG 23", and I am favorably impressed with the experience.

I don't use it to watch 2D movies though, but I'd rather watch 3D on this 23" than 2D of the same movie on the 70". It is excellent as a 2D computer monitor for my use too.

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
post #69 of 260 Old 09-09-2011, 03:24 AM

I recently had and returned the LG DM2350D 3D TV/monitor, which is basically the same as the D2342P monitor with the addition of a Freeview tuner and speakers. I was seeing annoying vertical (yes, vertical) scan-type lines in 3D, but they appeared only when there was some movement in the picture. I have also witnessed these lines on the D2342P monitor under the same conditions. Has anyone else seen these? Also, I couldn't find out how to adjust the picture in 3D mode before I returned the TV. However, I have now found out that this may be possible by changing the AV mode - could someone confirm this?
post #70 of 260 Old 09-11-2011, 10:05 PM

So whats the difference between the D2342P and the D2342PN ? I just got the D2342p and after realising I have to manually set the monitor to row interlaced I think the 3d is great.
post #71 of 260 Old 09-13-2011, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabot001 View Post

I recently had and returned the LG DM2350D 3D TV/monitor, which is basically the same as the D2342P monitor with the addition of a Freeview tuner and speakers. I was seeing annoying vertical (yes, vertical) scan-type lines in 3D, but they appeared only when there was some movement in the picture. I have also witnessed these lines on the D2342P monitor under the same conditions. Has anyone else seen these? Also, I couldn't find out how to adjust the picture in 3D mode before I returned the TV. However, I have now found out that this may be possible by changing the AV mode - could someone confirm this?

What was the source used when these lines appeared?

Richard Adams
post #72 of 260 Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 AM

Does the monitor support 24p playback?

I know it supports 24p input but I don't know if the monitor uses 24hz freq.
post #73 of 260 Old 09-27-2011, 10:19 AM

According to advices by Richard Adams I have bought this monitor. I am very happy; it is far better than I thought. Many thanks!
Only two remarks:
- I have used the "3D L/R CHANGE" option because this monitor (at least mine) assumed that the right eye has the priority R-L(1/2). So I have chosen L-R(2/2) to be consistent with most SBS files. After this change my 3D effects were much better (mainly with Avatar 3D)
- I was interested in the new 25 inch LG monitor. I think I should forget this intermediate device since the 27 inch monitor is already available in Japan, with probably the same spec. as the 23 inch one. When this monitor (D2770P) will be available in western countries?

Jacques Ligou
Switzerland
post #74 of 260 Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 PM

There's also the 32LW4500, which is the TV model so it has a tuner. I went from the D2342P to the 47LW5600 and love it. My main complaint with the monitor was the limited viewing angle. The Tvs do not have a DVI input, nor do they come with TriDef, but they do have a built in 2D-3D conversion. http://www.lg.com/nz/tv-audio-video/...G-32LW4500.jsp
post #75 of 260 Old 10-17-2011, 01:00 AM

hi,
I have bought LG D2342P monitor.. But I could see lots of purple colored crosstalk when there is some good 3D scenes especially in right eye... This annoys me when I watch 3D movies and games... I tried all the settings I could try like 15 deg vertical tilt and optimal distance... In catalyst control panel scaling is disable and overscan set to 0%..
I have Radeon 6950 graphics card... Is it usual to see such cross talks in this monitor.. Can anyone help to solve this issue?
post #76 of 260 Old 10-23-2011, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionx View Post

hi,
I have bought LG D2342P monitor.. But I could see lots of purple colored crosstalk when there is some good 3D scenes especially in right eye... This annoys me when I watch 3D movies and games... I tried all the settings I could try like 15 deg vertical tilt and optimal distance... In catalyst control panel scaling is disable and overscan set to 0%..
I have Radeon 6950 graphics card... Is it usual to see such cross talks in this monitor.. Can anyone help to solve this issue?

I don't recall a crosstalk problem like that.

Do you have another source to try it with to see if the problem is the monitor or the source?

Richard Adams
post #77 of 260 Old 10-28-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post

I don't recall a crosstalk problem like that.

Do you have another source to try it with to see if the problem is the monitor or the source?

I made a complaint to LG Service center. One person came and he have no idea about this monitor. He told he cannot fix it unless monitor is not working. Then he came back with another monitor of same kind to test if there are any difference and the monitor he brought is a fault one which was not working at all... Luckily the 3D glass which was with that monitor work better than which I had.. He replaced the glasses which I had with the other one..

Now there are no annoying purple cross talks.. But there are still some small amount of crosstalks during intense 3D scenes...
post #78 of 260 Old 10-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
I have no idea what you just wrote
post #79 of 260 Old 10-29-2011, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionx View Post

I made a complaint to LG Service center. One person came and he have no idea about this monitor. He told he cannot fix it unless monitor is not working. Then he came back with another monitor of same kind to test if there are any difference and the monitor he brought is a fault one which was not working at all... Luckily the 3D glass which was with that monitor work better than which I had.. He replaced the glasses which I had with the other one..

Now there are no annoying purple cross talks.. But there are still some small amount of crosstalks during intense 3D scenes...

A bit confusing since he said "glass" in one sentence and "glasses" in the next.

I'm fairly certain he said the problem was not in the monitor but was a problem in the LG supplied 3D glasses.

This is good info and something to look out for.

With my own monitor. I have a box of 3D glasses from the theater that I use.

I gave the LG supplied clip on 3D glasses to someone that wears prescription glasses, and left the other LG supplied glasses in the box to keep them new in case I sold the monitor.

Richard Adams
post #80 of 260 Old 10-29-2011, 02:14 AM

I had wondered if it might be the glasses. I wonder if he bought an open box and someone had put in another brand of glasses. My other assumption was he
was laying down sideways and expecting the same experience as when sitting. I know when I'd turn my head sideways to the screen if reaching for something, I'd see lots of purple.
post #81 of 260 Old 11-02-2011, 11:58 AM

I am planning to buy lg D2342P monitor , before that I need to buy graphics card , Could you please which is the best card suitable for this monitor ?
post #82 of 260 Old 11-02-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiranBlr30 View Post

I am planning to buy lg D2342P monitor , before that I need to buy graphics card , Could you please which is the best card suitable for this monitor ?

The monitor takes a standard HDMI or DVI input. Any video card with either of those outputs will work. Base your graphic card decision on what activities you'll be using it for, and not the monitor. You could check the HTPC forum for advice on that.
post #83 of 260 Old 11-02-2011, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiranBlr30 View Post

The card I had in my PC at first with this monitor had Nvidia 8500GT chips. That worked ok for 3D. This is a mediocre card compared to the one I discuss next, but it let me test the monitor and enjoy 3D playback.

I upgraded to a card with Nvidia GTX550Ti chips. This one gives greatly improved acceleration for video processing at low cost. It also is the minimum card that supports all 3D features according the chart on the Nvidia web page. The reason I upgraded was that I wanted to support several monitors at the same time. I have 2 computer monitors and 1 TV plugged into this card all at once. At any moment a can have 2 displays active.

There are cards available with much better gaming performance that require higher capacity in the power supply, at higher cost. My kids have cards comparable to the GTX550Ti in their computers that have proved adequate for their gaming needs.

Gaming can be a lot more demanding than 3D.

More economical cards than the GTX 550Ti would work for 3D playback.

I am not familiar with current generation ATI / AMD cards, though I understand they do support up to 3 monitors active at one time.

The overall performance is not simply the video card. A CPU that is not up to par can make 3D not play correctly. I have an older though fast 8500 core2duo in the PC with the GTX550Ti.

Richard Adams
post #84 of 260 Old 11-07-2011, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
This 3D monitor LG D2342P is my current front runner for a 3D monitor. I have an AMD ATI Radeon graphics card that is more compatible with it than the 3D monitors that require Nvidia graphic cards. I would like to add a Digital TV Tuner to this monitor. What is a good ATSC/QAM TV Tuner for 3D monitors?
post #85 of 260 Old 11-07-2011, 12:01 PM

I personally have used a SiliconeDust Network tuner for several years and love it. I use W7 Media Center to record, and their programming guide as well.
You mention QAM, if it's scrambled, you have to get the version that allows the use of a cable card.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME HDHR3-CC Ethernet Interface

Features: Three Digital Tuners, Anywhere on Your Network - Premium cable TV (CableCARD). - Watch TV from any computer on your network. - Record full 1080i broadcast resolution. - Watch, Pause, Record, & Rewind Live TV. - Schedule and record all your favorite TV shows. - Expand with multiple HDHomeRun devices. TV sources - US digital cable TV Windows 7

____________________________________________________________ _____
Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB: Quad-tuner external device for Watching Digital Cable TV on the PC, USB 2.0 Interface 5102-DCT04EX-USB

WinTV-DCR-2650 is a dual tuner CableCARD receiver set top box for your Windows 7 PC. Users are now able watch and record PREMIUM cable TV on your PC. Simple to install via USB, the DCR-2650 works with Windows 7 Media Center. WinTV-DCR-2650 is basically a cable TV set top box which
post #86 of 260 Old 11-07-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DNewb View Post

I personally have used a SiliconeDust Network tuner for several years and love it. I use W7 Media Center to record, and their programming guide as well.
You mention QAM, if it's scrambled, you have to get the version that allows the use of a cable card.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME HDHR3-CC Ethernet Interface

Features: Three Digital Tuners, Anywhere on Your Network - Premium cable TV (CableCARD). - Watch TV from any computer on your network. - Record full 1080i broadcast resolution. - Watch, Pause, Record, & Rewind Live TV. - Schedule and record all your favorite TV shows. - Expand with multiple HDHomeRun devices. TV sources - US digital cable TV Windows 7

Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB: Quad-tuner external device for Watching Digital Cable TV on the PC, USB 2.0 Interface 5102-DCT04EX-USB

WinTV-DCR-2650 is a dual tuner CableCARD receiver set top box for your Windows 7 PC. Users are now able watch and record PREMIUM cable TV on your PC. Simple to install via USB, the DCR-2650 works with Windows 7 Media Center. WinTV-DCR-2650 is basically a cable TV set top box which

I like the Silicon Dust Tuners. But, they are out of my budget. Same for Kworld Tuners. I have a USB ATSC Tuner. The software for USB Tuners are not very compatible with my system's anti virus software. Both of your other suggestions for Tuners are out of my budget. Any other inexpensive Digital Tuners?
post #87 of 260 Old 11-08-2011, 02:38 PM

There are many for OTA signals, but so much of QAM is scrambled that I wouldn't count on being able to get anything without a tuner with a cable card function. I suggest reading thru other threads here specifically about tuners or simply checking out NewEgg or Amazon for current available tuners along with customer reviews.
post #88 of 260 Old 11-08-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DNewb View Post

There are many for OTA signals, but so much of QAM is scrambled that I wouldn't count on being able to get anything without a tuner with a cable card function. I suggest reading thru other threads here specifically about tuners or simply checking out NewEgg or Amazon for current available tuners along with customer reviews.

My DVD Recorder has a Digital Tuner so I'll use that for the moment. I have found some tuners at Amazon that I would like. The tuners I want are out of my budget.
post #89 of 260 Old 11-22-2011, 06:01 PM

Has anyone tried a VGA to HDMI Converter Box with this monitor? If so, how was the picture quality in 2D and 3D?
post #90 of 260 Old 12-05-2011, 09:52 AM

Tomorrow is my birthday, I'll be 47. A few days later I'll receive from Best Buy the LG D2342P monitor as a birthday gift.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays , 23 Lg Widescreen Fullhd 1920x1080 Hdmi Vga Dvi 3d Led Lcd Black Monitor D2342p Pn , Sony , Lg D2342p Pn 23 Inch Widescreen Passive 3d Led Lcd Monitor
Gear in this thread - 1920x1080 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page