post #91 of 260 Old 12-06-2011, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGTweed View Post

Has anyone tried a VGA to HDMI Converter Box with this monitor? If so, how was the picture quality in 2D and 3D?

Do you already have a converter, if so which one? What's the VGA source?

Happy Birthday.

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 260 Old 12-06-2011, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post

Do you already have a converter, if so which one? What's the VGA source?

Happy Birthday.

My VGA source is my Toshiba Laptop. I currently have a PC to TV converter with VGA IN/OUT. I haven't received the 3D monitor yet. It will arrive in a few days from Best Buy, I hope. I don't have a VGA to HDMI converter at the moment. I'm still doing research on the best one.
post #93 of 260 Old 12-06-2011, 06:38 PM

I just saw a new LG Passive 23 inch monitor that includes a tuner http://www.amazon.com/LG-DM2350-Clas...225207&sr=8-50
post #94 of 260 Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DNewb View Post

I just saw a new LG Passive 23 inch monitor that includes a tuner http://www.amazon.com/LG-DM2350-Clas...225207&sr=8-50

I was planning to get it. I still might get it if the LG D2342P monitor doesn't work for me. If it arrives here soon from Best Buy.
post #95 of 260 Old 12-09-2011, 07:41 AM

Does line interlaced 3d have to be enabled to view it correctly? The reason I ask is I have a LG 3d passive TV that I hear is suppose to accept line interlaced 3d even though it's not in the 3d options. It works, sort of, but has heavy ghosting when doing it that way. I was informed this is the natural mode of the monitor, so it will work. Does line interlace work just fine on the 23 inch without it enabled, and is the only reason to enable it so you have access to the 3d options?
post #96 of 260 Old 12-09-2011, 10:53 AM

I received an e-mail from Best Buy yesterday. My LG D2342P 3D Monitor has shipped by UPS. Today I received my 3D Blu-Ray Disc of Despicable Me in the mail today. My Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5983 with external LG Blu-Ray Disc Writer can play 3D Blu-Ray discs using PowerDVD9 (not very good for 3D BR Discs) and PowerDVD11 Ultra (Very Good 3D BR Discs). I'll pass on more info when my monitor arrives. I plan to get either a VGA to HDMI Converter ViewHD 8 Port Multi-Functional Switch/Converter or a Panasonic 3D Blu-Ray Player, if a VGA to HDMI Converter doesn't work for 3D.
post #97 of 260 Old 12-09-2011, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quisp65 View Post

Does line interlaced 3d have to be enabled to view it correctly? The reason I ask is I have a LG 3d passive TV that I hear is suppose to accept line interlaced 3d even though it's not in the 3d options. It works, sort of, but has heavy ghosting when doing it that way. I was informed this is the natural mode of the monitor, so it will work. Does line interlace work just fine on the 23 inch without it enabled, and is the only reason to enable it so you have access to the 3d options?

Specifically on the D2342P model, I usually enable the line alternate mode on the 3D menu of the front panel to ensure getting the best looking 3D from non-SBS sources.

Richard Adams
post #98 of 260 Old 12-09-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post

Specifically on the D2342P model, I usually enable the line alternate mode on the 3D menu of the front panel to ensure getting the best looking 3D from non-SBS sources.

I was asking the question for the reason, if 3d can be viewed without enabling 3d on the monitor when line interlaced/interleaved 3d is coming at it, then someday maybe with a firmware fix might make my LG TV might be able to do the same thing. But if the 23 inch has to be switched to 3d to see the 3d in interlaced mode then my TV would probably never be able to because it don't even have interlace as an option.

I was just confirming the information I have obtained that interlaced 3d can be seen as 3d on these kind of monitors without enabling it in the menu.
post #99 of 260 Old 12-09-2011, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I was just confirming the information I have obtained that interlaced 3d can be seen as 3d on these kind of monitors without enabling it in the menu.

No, nothing needs to be enabled on the monitor for line-interlaced. In fact, if you use a DVI connection instead of an HDMI, you don't even have the option of changing it.
post #100 of 260 Old 12-10-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

No, nothing needs to be enabled on the monitor for line-interlaced. In fact, if you use a DVI connection instead of an HDMI, you don't even have the option of changing it.

I have two points to make.

1) Yes indeed using the DVI connector instead of the HDMI causes the monitor to inhibit the 3D menu selections. For this reason I use the HDMI of this monitor for the connection to my computer since this lets me make selections for the 3D mode.

During my first use, I used the DVI output of a video card through a DVI to HDMI cable, to the HDMI input of the monitor. Now I am using a video card that has an HDMI output. This point is that the monitor does care about using the HDMI as the source for 3D video.

2) I am seeing a difference where the 3D is better in Line Interlaced mode selected from the front panel.

As a test that is simple for others to duplicate, I am using the newest tridef 3D software download version 1.5.1 software. When I launch the tridef 3D media player, the first screen that comes up has the title "Tilt your display for optimal 3D" and shows a scene with clouds and some roses on stems in 3D. When I select "line interlaced" from the front panel menu, the entire scene has vastly better looking 3D than when the front panel 3D selection is "OFF."

If other monitors work differently than this, perhaps there are different version of the same model monitor.

Richard Adams
post #101 of 260 Old 12-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Gae

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFree View Post

The only thing I noticed was a slight blur when subjects motion moved fast but I got used to it.

Hello Bill. Could you elaborate on this please? I have just bought one but am currently in the process of returning it because I experienced severe juddering and a blurry wash on any objects that moved. I found it a huge distraction and therefore unwatchable. I must add that this only happened with 3D Blu-ray over HDMI. Other SBS playback from my BD player USB connection worked fine with no judder. The player I'm using is a Philips 3D Blu-Ray BDP3280. This has been tested on the LG DM2350D (which is the very similar version with TV tuner and speakers) and the picture was flawless. No judder or bluriness with onscreen motion.
Has anyone tested 3D Blu-ray playback from a stand alone player and had no issues? I need to know pretty soon because if there is an issue with 3D Blu-Ray connectivity with the D2342P monitor then I won't accept a replacement and will insist on a full refund or get the LG DM2350D instead. I only want this monitor for watching 3D movies, especially on 3D Blu-ray.

Could you have a faulty monitor like I believe I have?

Gae

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #102 of 260 Old 12-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Gae

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabot001 View Post

I recently had and returned the LG DM2350D 3D TV/monitor, which is basically the same as the D2342P monitor with the addition of a Freeview tuner and speakers. I was seeing annoying vertical (yes, vertical) scan-type lines in 3D, but they appeared only when there was some movement in the picture. I have also witnessed these lines on the D2342P monitor under the same conditions. Has anyone else seen these? Also, I couldn't find out how to adjust the picture in 3D mode before I returned the TV. However, I have now found out that this may be possible by changing the AV mode - could someone confirm this?

I had the same problem with the D2342P but when I connected my 3D Blu-ray player to the LG DM2350D in the store where I got the player, it looked perfect with no scan type lines or judder as you mentioned. 3D Blu-ray was unwatchable on the D2342P that I had been sent though.

It looks like there might be some dodgy models out there then. Thanks for the warning. I was considering doing a straight swap with the DM2350D. If I had one of these sent out as a replacement and it had shown the same problems, I would have been gutted.
I'm going to demand a full refund and buy my next model in my local retail outlet and have it tested from the box. It seems like that's the only way you can be sure.

Gae

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #103 of 260 Old 12-11-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae View Post

I had the same problem with the D2342P but when I connected my 3D Blu-ray player to the LG DM2350D in the store where I got the player, it looked perfect with no scan type lines or judder as you mentioned. 3D Blu-ray was unwatchable on the D2342P that I had been sent though.

It looks like there might be some dodgy models out there then. Thanks for the warning. I was considering doing a straight swap with the DM2350D. If I had one of these sent out as a replacement and it had shown the same problems, I would have been gutted.
I'm going to demand a full refund and buy my next model in my local retail outlet and have it tested from the box. It seems like that's the only way you can be sure.

Gae

Hi! I've been to a nearby store and the display model also had these _vertical_ lines, that sort of looked like faint nonmoving scanlines. Can anyone confirm- does anyone actually have one without these? I'm beginning to have doubts about buying this and holding out for a zalman 24' even though it's almost twice as expensive
post #104 of 260 Old 12-12-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriythebest View Post

Hi! I've been to a nearby store and the display model also had these _vertical_ lines, that sort of looked like faint nonmoving scanlines. Can anyone confirm- does anyone actually have one without these? I'm beginning to have doubts about buying this and holding out for a zalman 24' even though it's almost twice as expensive

Acer has got a 23 & 27 inch they just released, but it's so new no one is selling it yet. The manual shows it can produce twice the resolution to make up for peoples gripe about 1/2 rez in 3d. I'm also eyeing the Toshiba 32 inch TV since I have a 32 inch Samsung TV now and would hate to downgrade on size with my monitor. But I expect I will see scan lines. I see em on my 65 inch when I'm close but I tell myself I could live with it. It doesn't seem bad to me. My eyes just don't concentrate on it I guess. I think it bugs other people more.
post #105 of 260 Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Gae

Does anyone know why these scanlines only occur over 3D Blu-ray and not other 3D content? I've played YT3D and other SBS clips with no problem. I really want to be able to view 3D Blu-ray mainly though. I couldn't stand watching this 3D image if I had to put up with those scanlines or judder or whatever you want to call them.
I guess the other option is to get some 3D ripper software and view each 3D Blu-ray from the PC. That seems a lot of hassle though. I'll just wait until I can demo another Brand monitor that doesn't have these problems. No wonder 3D isn't taking off very well...with these sorts of issues....

Gae

post #106 of 260 Old 12-12-2011, 08:27 AM

guys i need some help here,i received this monitor today & i'm really impressed with 3D in supported games like MW3 & Driver but i can't get 3D to work on movies & pics ! the movies i tried are in 2D format & so is ths pics,what do i need to do to view them in 3D ? i'm using PC through HDMI cable,i have tried adjusting the 3D slider but nothing really happening apart from getting headache when i move the 3D slider to max.

if i can get my movies & pics to work in 3D just like the games do then i will be one extremely happy owner of this monitor.
post #107 of 260 Old 12-12-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Acer has got a 23 & 27 inch they just released, but it's so new no one is selling it yet. The manual shows it can produce twice the resolution to make up for peoples gripe about 1/2 rez in 3d. I'm also eyeing the Toshiba 32 inch TV since I have a 32 inch Samsung TV now and would hate to downgrade on size with my monitor. But I expect I will see scan lines. I see em on my 65 inch when I'm close but I tell myself I could live with it. It doesn't seem bad to me. My eyes just don't concentrate on it I guess. I think it bugs other people more.

do you mean this one:
Acer HN274Hbmiiid Black 27" 2ms
it's active (nvidia 3d vision), available on newegg but I want passive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae View Post

Does anyone know why these scanlines only occur over 3D Blu-ray and not other 3D content? I've played YT3D and other SBS clips with no problem. I really want to be able to view 3D Blu-ray mainly though. I couldn't stand watching this 3D image if I had to put up with those scanlines or judder or whatever you want to call them.
I guess the other option is to get some 3D ripper software and view each 3D Blu-ray from the PC. That seems a lot of hassle though. I'll just wait until I can demo another Brand monitor that doesn't have these problems. No wonder 3D isn't taking off very well...with these sorts of issues....
Gae

Hi! are you using DVi? I only have DVi and was wondering if the input type mattered. If the issue occurs only for viewing non-ripped bluerays from a blue ray player (I never do that) that's splendid! so you are saying that otherwise if you just use it for "pc purposes" - watching yt3d, images/video clips on the pc/games you have no issues?? this is beginning to sound good. how is the monitor quality in 2d- can you read text comfortably/use it for work purposes like photoshop? btw I assume you are the same Gae as Gae43 on mtbs3d

Quote:

the movies i tried are in 2D format & so is ths pics,what do i need to do to view them in 3D ? i'm using PC through HDMI cable,i have tried adjusting the 3D slider but nothing really happening apart from getting headache when i move the 3D slider to max.

you can use any number of 2d->3d conversion software but they are all awful I tell you - best stick to content originally made in 3d. for that I recommend sView - it's a free image and video player that supports all common 3d formats and of course interlaced displays like the zalman/LG displays. If you want to make your own content get a Fuji 3D W3 - it shoots 720p 3D and the 3d effect is very nice - I have one and I also have a youtube unboxing video (which is also in 3d, cause I was able to shoot it with my minoru3d webcam)
post #108 of 260 Old 12-12-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:

you can use any number of 2d->3d conversion software but they are all awful I tell you - best stick to content originally made in 3d. for that I recommend sView - it's a free image and video player that supports all common 3d formats and of course interlaced displays like the zalman/LG displays. If you want to make your own content get a Fuji 3D W3 - it shoots 720p 3D and the 3d effect is very nice - I have one and I also have a youtube unboxing video (which is also in 3d, cause I was able to shoot it with my minoru3d webcam)

thanks so much yuri for replying to my question,as for your question about the monitor's 2D mode yes the monitor in 2D mode is as good as any other monitor,in fact i like the picture quality on this better than my previous dedicated 2D monitor.

edit:
by the way yuri do you have link to your youtube vid please ?
post #109 of 260 Old 12-12-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:

do you mean this one:
Acer HN274Hbmiiid Black 27" 2ms

No. That is a new one but they are coming out with HR274H which is a 27 inch passive. Google it, and it will come up, but no one is selling yet even though they say it goes on sale this week (at least in 1 article stated this week)
post #110 of 260 Old 12-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Gae

Quote:

Hi! are you using DVi? I only have DVi and was wondering if the input type mattered. If the issue occurs only for viewing non-ripped bluerays from a blue ray player (I never do that) that's splendid! so you are saying that otherwise if you just use it for "pc purposes" - watching yt3d, images/video clips on the pc/games you have no issues?? this is beginning to sound good. how is the monitor quality in 2d- can you read text comfortably/use it for work purposes like photoshop? btw I assume you are the same Gae as Gae43 on mtbs3d

Yes, that's me Yuri.

I'm sending my monitor back tomorrow and will hopefully get a full refund. The next 3D monitor I get will be instore and fully tested with my BD player.

To answer some questions Yuri, I had no issues other than playing 3D Blu-ray discs with my BD player over HDMI. I never connected it to a PC. My BD has a USB input and so I played some downlaoded SBS YT3D clips from there and they looked great. If all you want this monitor for is YT3D and other SBS clips then it should be fine unless you get a faulty model. I can't say anything about Gaming because I didn't test it with any games. I only have Avatar in 3D and I'm not a huge gamer anyway.
Doesn't the monitor have its own 2D/3D conversion function apart from the Tridef software? I never tested it but I think there's a YouTube demo and the conversion effect looked quite good. They may be using that depth map TV technology that I've seen promoted on the net somewhere.

With regards 2D, the image was 1080p and it looked as good as any Monitor or TV that I've ever had so I'd imagine text looks fine (unless you accidentally leave it in 3D interlaced mode)

No, all was well with the Monitor "EXCEPT" with what I wanted it for...to view 3D Blu-ray movies.....typical bad luck as usual!!!

Yuri, one more thing. Make sure that the 3D works over DVI from PC. I'm sure I read somewhere that the 3D only kicks in over HDMI otherwise the 3D option is greyed out. I might be wrong though. This may only be with regards to viewing 3D Blu-ray on a PC. I never tested it over DVI or D-Sub. I think it may even take an interlaced signal as/is and just display it on the screen without even having to set the TV to 3D. I never really tested it fully. It should be OK but it's worth checking these things.

Gae

post #111 of 260 Old 12-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Gae

Quote:

No. That is a new one but they are coming out with HR274H which is a 27 inch passive. Google it, and it will come up, but no one is selling yet even though they say it goes on sale this week (at least in 1 article stated this week)

But it will be more expensive...around £450.

Personally, as I have 2 projectors, 3 TVs and 3 Monitors, just like many others, I don't want another big, more expensive Monitor/TV just for 3D. No, a cheaper 23" 3D monitor is fine for now. At least until I can see where the future of 3D is going.

Just got to find one that works properly!

Gae

post #112 of 260 Old 12-12-2011, 09:01 PM

My LG D2342P monitor has arrived. I'll set it up tomorrow and check it out. I hope setup goes smooth?
post #113 of 260 Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:

My LG D2342P monitor has arrived. I'll set it up tomorrow and check it out. I hope setup goes smooth?

cool! let us know how it goes, what input (dvi/hdmi) you used and if you see any _vertical_ lines

Quote:

that actually sounds pretty cool - will have to wait for all of the reviews/etc to arrive before purchase so that's probably another few months. However, I am not an expert but is 1920 х 1080 enough for a 27' display? will it look good or will the pixels be "large"?
post #114 of 260 Old 12-13-2011, 02:21 AM
Gae

Quote:

PGTweed, can you please test the 3D Blu-ray input over HDMI? That's where I noticed the scan lines.

Thanks and fingers crossed. I still haven't given up on this monitor.

Gae

post #115 of 260 Old 12-13-2011, 06:07 AM

i advice anyone who bought this monitor to use the HDMI connection for PC as 3D via the DVI port is very dependent on the TriDef software (gaming is not effected) aka if you want perfect viewing of 3D movies then use HDMI (btw i use bsplayer for half sbs 3D). this monitor is super amazing,colours are best i've seen thus far. it's my 5th LG monitor & LG has not yet failed to impress me.

btw do i really need to buy a 3D camera to view my pics in decent 3D ? i have tried to view & even converted some of my old 2D pics to 3D but so far the results have been very disappointing.
post #116 of 260 Old 12-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Gae

It seems that PC connection works really well with this monitor but has anyone else tried it with 3D Blu-Ray and had the vertical scan line problems mentioned above? Let us know please.

Can anyone recommend a good 3D blu-ray ripper? I've tried DVDFab but that kept crashing my computer. The only success I had with my two discs was using Passkey in combination with SiffSucka. It took 12-24 hours for each disc thought. I might end up having to go down this route if I ever want to view 3D Blu-ray movies on this monitor without any issues. I don't really want to buy a more expensive model just yet.

Gae

post #117 of 260 Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as905 View Post

i advice anyone who bought this monitor to use the HDMI connection for PC as 3D via the DVI port is very dependent on the TriDef software (gaming is not effected) aka if you want perfect viewing of 3D movies then use HDMI (btw i use bsplayer for half sbs 3D). this monitor is super amazing,colours are best i've seen thus far. it's my 5th LG monitor & LG has not yet failed to impress me.

btw do i really need to buy a 3D camera to view my pics in decent 3D ? i have tried to view & even converted some of my old 2D pics to 3D but so far the results have been very disappointing.

By video card is 2xDvi and what I think is a tv out (circular thingy). If I use Dvi will I see these vertical lines?

Yes, you absolutely need a 3d camera, like the Fuji 3D W3. Go to youtube and compare clips from different cameras but I like mine cause the stereoseparation (distance between lenses) is large enough for a nice 3d effect- beware of cameras where the lenses are too close together- it should be similar-ish to the distance between human eyes.
post #118 of 260 Old 12-13-2011, 12:09 PM

First test of LG D2342P. The power cord is going to cause some trouble. It can easily slip out. It took me twenty minutes pushing the power button until I checked the power cord wasn't connected securely. After it finally came on I'm currently testing the VGA connection to my laptop. My laptop only has a VGA out port. The words on the monitor are easier to see than my laptop monitor. I can't test the HDMI functions until I receive my HDMI 1.4 High Speed with Ethernet and ViewHD 8 Port Multi-Function Switch/Converter from Amazon.com later in the week. Thursday, Friday or Saturday at the earliest. I'll test the external Blu-Ray Writer tonight.
post #119 of 260 Old 12-13-2011, 01:03 PM

Acer HR274H is a 27
http://3dvision-blog.com/acer-hr274h...ision-support/

seems it has only Hdmi and Vga inputs. I wonder, If I use a Dvi->Vga cable will I still get 3d?
post #120 of 260 Old 12-13-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:

By video card is 2xDvi and what I think is a tv out (circular thingy). If I use Dvi will I see these vertical lines?

Yes, you absolutely need a 3d camera, like the Fuji 3D W3. Go to youtube and compare clips from different cameras but I like mine cause the stereoseparation (distance between lenses) is large enough for a nice 3d effect- beware of cameras where the lenses are too close together- it should be similar-ish to the distance between human eyes.

i'm not sure what you mean by vertical lines because i have not seen any.

ok thanks for the advice the camera is little expensive now so i will wait for prices to drop specially its not long since i bought a panasonic none 3D camera. at least i know i have the option if i want to go down the 3D photo route.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays , 23 Lg Widescreen Fullhd 1920x1080 Hdmi Vga Dvi 3d Led Lcd Black Monitor D2342p Pn , Sony , Lg D2342p Pn 23 Inch Widescreen Passive 3d Led Lcd Monitor
Gear in this thread - 1920x1080 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page