AVS Forum banner
86K views 259 replies 54 participants last post by  bl4ckstarr 
#1 ·
LG D2342P 23" Passive 3D LED LCD Monitor

I've got one on order at the MSRP $349. Due to arrive in a week+-.

Didn't see a thread for this one yet.

The user manual says for 3D HDMI it supports:

Frame packing 1080p 24Hz, 720p 50/60Hz

Side by Side and Top/Bottom 1080p 1080i 720p 50/60Hz

Top/Bottom 1080p 24Hz, 720p and 1080p 50/60Hz

Good entry level price to view 3D without expensive glasses.

I wonder what it will do when plugged into my Sony TD10 3D camcorder.

See less See more
#102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabot001 /forum/post/20925328

I recently had and returned the LG DM2350D 3D TV/monitor, which is basically the same as the D2342P monitor with the addition of a Freeview tuner and speakers. I was seeing annoying vertical (yes, vertical) scan-type lines in 3D, but they appeared only when there was some movement in the picture. I have also witnessed these lines on the D2342P monitor under the same conditions. Has anyone else seen these? Also, I couldn't find out how to adjust the picture in 3D mode before I returned the TV. However, I have now found out that this may be possible by changing the AV mode - could someone confirm this?

I had the same problem with the D2342P but when I connected my 3D Blu-ray player to the LG DM2350D in the store where I got the player, it looked perfect with no scan type lines or judder as you mentioned. 3D Blu-ray was unwatchable on the D2342P that I had been sent though.

It looks like there might be some dodgy models out there then. Thanks for the warning. I was considering doing a straight swap with the DM2350D. If I had one of these sent out as a replacement and it had shown the same problems, I would have been gutted.

I'm going to demand a full refund and buy my next model in my local retail outlet and have it tested from the box. It seems like that's the only way you can be sure.

Gae

#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae /forum/post/21331839

I had the same problem with the D2342P but when I connected my 3D Blu-ray player to the LG DM2350D in the store where I got the player, it looked perfect with no scan type lines or judder as you mentioned. 3D Blu-ray was unwatchable on the D2342P that I had been sent though.

It looks like there might be some dodgy models out there then. Thanks for the warning. I was considering doing a straight swap with the DM2350D. If I had one of these sent out as a replacement and it had shown the same problems, I would have been gutted.

I'm going to demand a full refund and buy my next model in my local retail outlet and have it tested from the box. It seems like that's the only way you can be sure.

Gae

Hi! I've been to a nearby store and the display model also had these _vertical_ lines, that sort of looked like faint nonmoving scanlines. Can anyone confirm- does anyone actually have one without these? I'm beginning to have doubts about buying this and holding out for a zalman 24' even though it's almost twice as expensive

#104 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriythebest /forum/post/21334693

Hi! I've been to a nearby store and the display model also had these _vertical_ lines, that sort of looked like faint nonmoving scanlines. Can anyone confirm- does anyone actually have one without these? I'm beginning to have doubts about buying this and holding out for a zalman 24' even though it's almost twice as expensive

Acer has got a 23 & 27 inch they just released, but it's so new no one is selling it yet. The manual shows it can produce twice the resolution to make up for peoples gripe about 1/2 rez in 3d. I'm also eyeing the Toshiba 32 inch TV since I have a 32 inch Samsung TV now and would hate to downgrade on size with my monitor. But I expect I will see scan lines. I see em on my 65 inch when I'm close but I tell myself I could live with it. It doesn't seem bad to me. My eyes just don't concentrate on it I guess. I think it bugs other people more.

#105 ·
Does anyone know why these scanlines only occur over 3D Blu-ray and not other 3D content? I've played YT3D and other SBS clips with no problem. I really want to be able to view 3D Blu-ray mainly though. I couldn't stand watching this 3D image if I had to put up with those scanlines or judder or whatever you want to call them.

I guess the other option is to get some 3D ripper software and view each 3D Blu-ray from the PC. That seems a lot of hassle though. I'll just wait until I can demo another Brand monitor that doesn't have these problems. No wonder 3D isn't taking off very well...with these sorts of issues....

Gae

#106 ·
guys i need some help here,i received this monitor today & i'm really impressed with 3D in supported games like MW3 & Driver but i can't get 3D to work on movies & pics ! the movies i tried are in 2D format & so is ths pics,what do i need to do to view them in 3D ? i'm using PC through HDMI cable,i have tried adjusting the 3D slider but nothing really happening apart from getting headache when i move the 3D slider to max.

if i can get my movies & pics to work in 3D just like the games do then i will be one extremely happy owner of this monitor.

#107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by quisp65 /forum/post/21335199

Acer has got a 23 & 27 inch they just released, but it's so new no one is selling it yet. The manual shows it can produce twice the resolution to make up for peoples gripe about 1/2 rez in 3d. I'm also eyeing the Toshiba 32 inch TV since I have a 32 inch Samsung TV now and would hate to downgrade on size with my monitor. But I expect I will see scan lines. I see em on my 65 inch when I'm close but I tell myself I could live with it. It doesn't seem bad to me. My eyes just don't concentrate on it I guess. I think it bugs other people more.

do you mean this one:

Acer HN274Hbmiiid Black 27" 2ms

it's active (nvidia 3d vision), available on newegg but I want passive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae /forum/post/21335843

Does anyone know why these scanlines only occur over 3D Blu-ray and not other 3D content? I've played YT3D and other SBS clips with no problem. I really want to be able to view 3D Blu-ray mainly though. I couldn't stand watching this 3D image if I had to put up with those scanlines or judder or whatever you want to call them.

I guess the other option is to get some 3D ripper software and view each 3D Blu-ray from the PC. That seems a lot of hassle though. I'll just wait until I can demo another Brand monitor that doesn't have these problems. No wonder 3D isn't taking off very well...with these sorts of issues....

Gae

Hi! are you using DVi? I only have DVi and was wondering if the input type mattered. If the issue occurs only for viewing non-ripped bluerays from a blue ray player (I never do that) that's splendid! so you are saying that otherwise if you just use it for "pc purposes" - watching yt3d, images/video clips on the pc/games you have no issues?? this is beginning to sound good. how is the monitor quality in 2d- can you read text comfortably/use it for work purposes like photoshop? btw I assume you are the same Gae as Gae43 on mtbs3d

Quote:
the movies i tried are in 2D format & so is ths pics,what do i need to do to view them in 3D ? i'm using PC through HDMI cable,i have tried adjusting the 3D slider but nothing really happening apart from getting headache when i move the 3D slider to max.

you can use any number of 2d->3d conversion software but they are all awful I tell you - best stick to content originally made in 3d. for that I recommend sView - it's a free image and video player that supports all common 3d formats and of course interlaced displays like the zalman/LG displays. If you want to make your own content get a Fuji 3D W3 - it shoots 720p 3D and the 3d effect is very nice - I have one and I also have a youtube unboxing video (which is also in 3d, cause I was able to shoot it with my minoru3d webcam)

#108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriythebest /forum/post/21336847

you can use any number of 2d->3d conversion software but they are all awful I tell you - best stick to content originally made in 3d. for that I recommend sView - it's a free image and video player that supports all common 3d formats and of course interlaced displays like the zalman/LG displays. If you want to make your own content get a Fuji 3D W3 - it shoots 720p 3D and the 3d effect is very nice - I have one and I also have a youtube unboxing video (which is also in 3d, cause I was able to shoot it with my minoru3d webcam)

thanks so much yuri for replying to my question,as for your question about the monitor's 2D mode yes the monitor in 2D mode is as good as any other monitor,in fact i like the picture quality on this better than my previous dedicated 2D monitor.

edit:

by the way yuri do you have link to your youtube vid please ?

#109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriythebest /forum/post/21336847

do you mean this one:

Acer HN274Hbmiiid Black 27" 2ms

No. That is a new one but they are coming out with HR274H which is a 27 inch passive. Google it, and it will come up, but no one is selling yet even though they say it goes on sale this week (at least in 1 article stated this week)

#110 ·

Quote:
Hi! are you using DVi? I only have DVi and was wondering if the input type mattered. If the issue occurs only for viewing non-ripped bluerays from a blue ray player (I never do that) that's splendid! so you are saying that otherwise if you just use it for "pc purposes" - watching yt3d, images/video clips on the pc/games you have no issues?? this is beginning to sound good. how is the monitor quality in 2d- can you read text comfortably/use it for work purposes like photoshop? btw I assume you are the same Gae as Gae43 on mtbs3d

Yes, that's me Yuri.

I'm sending my monitor back tomorrow and will hopefully get a full refund. The next 3D monitor I get will be instore and fully tested with my BD player.

To answer some questions Yuri, I had no issues other than playing 3D Blu-ray discs with my BD player over HDMI. I never connected it to a PC. My BD has a USB input and so I played some downlaoded SBS YT3D clips from there and they looked great. If all you want this monitor for is YT3D and other SBS clips then it should be fine unless you get a faulty model. I can't say anything about Gaming because I didn't test it with any games. I only have Avatar in 3D and I'm not a huge gamer anyway.

Doesn't the monitor have its own 2D/3D conversion function apart from the Tridef software? I never tested it but I think there's a YouTube demo and the conversion effect looked quite good. They may be using that depth map TV technology that I've seen promoted on the net somewhere.

With regards 2D, the image was 1080p and it looked as good as any Monitor or TV that I've ever had so I'd imagine text looks fine (unless you accidentally leave it in 3D interlaced mode)

No, all was well with the Monitor "EXCEPT" with what I wanted it for...to view 3D Blu-ray movies.....typical bad luck as usual!!!

Yuri, one more thing. Make sure that the 3D works over DVI from PC. I'm sure I read somewhere that the 3D only kicks in over HDMI otherwise the 3D option is greyed out. I might be wrong though. This may only be with regards to viewing 3D Blu-ray on a PC. I never tested it over DVI or D-Sub. I think it may even take an interlaced signal as/is and just display it on the screen without even having to set the TV to 3D. I never really tested it fully. It should be OK but it's worth checking these things.

Gae

#111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by quisp65 /forum/post/21338270

No. That is a new one but they are coming out with HR274H which is a 27 inch passive. Google it, and it will come up, but no one is selling yet even though they say it goes on sale this week (at least in 1 article stated this week)

But it will be more expensive...around £450.

Personally, as I have 2 projectors, 3 TVs and 3 Monitors, just like many others, I don't want another big, more expensive Monitor/TV just for 3D. No, a cheaper 23" 3D monitor is fine for now. At least until I can see where the future of 3D is going.

Just got to find one that works properly!

Gae

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGTweed /forum/post/21339961

My LG D2342P monitor has arrived. I'll set it up tomorrow and check it out. I hope setup goes smooth?

cool! let us know how it goes, what input (dvi/hdmi) you used and if you see any _vertical_ lines

Quote:

that actually sounds pretty cool - will have to wait for all of the reviews/etc to arrive before purchase so that's probably another few months. However, I am not an expert but is 1920 х 1080 enough for a 27' display? will it look good or will the pixels be "large"?

#114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGTweed /forum/post/21339961

My LG D2342P monitor has arrived. I'll set it up tomorrow and check it out. I hope setup goes smooth?

PGTweed, can you please test the 3D Blu-ray input over HDMI? That's where I noticed the scan lines.

Thanks and fingers crossed. I still haven't given up on this monitor.

Gae

#115 ·
i advice anyone who bought this monitor to use the HDMI connection for PC as 3D via the DVI port is very dependent on the TriDef software (gaming is not effected) aka if you want perfect viewing of 3D movies then use HDMI (btw i use bsplayer for half sbs 3D). this monitor is super amazing,colours are best i've seen thus far. it's my 5th LG monitor & LG has not yet failed to impress me.

btw do i really need to buy a 3D camera to view my pics in decent 3D ? i have tried to view & even converted some of my old 2D pics to 3D but so far the results have been very disappointing.

#116 ·
It seems that PC connection works really well with this monitor but has anyone else tried it with 3D Blu-Ray and had the vertical scan line problems mentioned above? Let us know please.

Can anyone recommend a good 3D blu-ray ripper? I've tried DVDFab but that kept crashing my computer. The only success I had with my two discs was using Passkey in combination with SiffSucka. It took 12-24 hours for each disc thought.
I might end up having to go down this route if I ever want to view 3D Blu-ray movies on this monitor without any issues. I don't really want to buy a more expensive model just yet.

Gae

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by as905 /forum/post/21340927

i advice anyone who bought this monitor to use the HDMI connection for PC as 3D via the DVI port is very dependent on the TriDef software (gaming is not effected) aka if you want perfect viewing of 3D movies then use HDMI (btw i use bsplayer for half sbs 3D). this monitor is super amazing,colours are best i've seen thus far. it's my 5th LG monitor & LG has not yet failed to impress me.

btw do i really need to buy a 3D camera to view my pics in decent 3D ? i have tried to view & even converted some of my old 2D pics to 3D but so far the results have been very disappointing.

By video card is 2xDvi and what I think is a tv out (circular thingy). If I use Dvi will I see these vertical lines?

Yes, you absolutely need a 3d camera, like the Fuji 3D W3. Go to youtube and compare clips from different cameras but I like mine cause the stereoseparation (distance between lenses) is large enough for a nice 3d effect- beware of cameras where the lenses are too close together- it should be similar-ish to the distance between human eyes.

#118 ·
First test of LG D2342P. The power cord is going to cause some trouble. It can easily slip out. It took me twenty minutes pushing the power button until I checked the power cord wasn't connected securely. After it finally came on I'm currently testing the VGA connection to my laptop. My laptop only has a VGA out port. The words on the monitor are easier to see than my laptop monitor. I can't test the HDMI functions until I receive my HDMI 1.4 High Speed with Ethernet and ViewHD 8 Port Multi-Function Switch/Converter from Amazon.com later in the week. Thursday, Friday or Saturday at the earliest. I'll test the external Blu-Ray Writer tonight.

#120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriythebest /forum/post/21342518

By video card is 2xDvi and what I think is a tv out (circular thingy). If I use Dvi will I see these vertical lines?

Yes, you absolutely need a 3d camera, like the Fuji 3D W3. Go to youtube and compare clips from different cameras but I like mine cause the stereoseparation (distance between lenses) is large enough for a nice 3d effect- beware of cameras where the lenses are too close together- it should be similar-ish to the distance between human eyes.

i'm not sure what you mean by vertical lines because i have not seen any.

ok thanks for the advice the camera is little expensive now so i will wait for prices to drop specially its not long since i bought a panasonic none 3D camera. at least i know i have the option if i want to go down the 3D photo route.

#121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by as905 /forum/post/21343780

i'm not sure what you mean by vertical lines because i have not seen any.

ok thanks for the advice the camera is little expensive now so i will wait for prices to drop specially its not long since i bought a panasonic none 3D camera. at least i know i have the option if i want to go down the 3D photo route.

I've only seen it with 3d Blu-ray discs via a BD player over HDMI. It happens when the camera pans or when there is motion. The images have a banding or juddering effect which looks horrible.

Gae

#122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae /forum/post/21344002

I've only seen it with 3d Blu-ray discs via a BD player over HDMI. It happens when the camera pans or when there is motion. The images have a banding or juddering effect which looks horrible.

Gae

oh i see,well i don't use bd player so i wouldn't know,i use my PC to play half sbs 3D files which look as good as it gets,files i tested thus far are some youtube 3D vids & demo of the earth song by MJ.

#124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriythebest /forum/post/21345373

I've read some reviews on amazon that say that even if your head is exactly positioned you still see some ghosting in high contrast scenes, is this true?

Yuri, yes their is slight ghosting occasionally and you have to keep your head still to get the best 3D effect. Move your head up or down a few inches and you lose the 3D and get ghosting. As I don't plan on bobbing my head up and down while viewing this isn't a problem for me. With regards the ghosting I have a DLP projector that I view 3D on with shutter glasses and even that has some ghosting from time to time. It all depends on the source material. The wider the parallax, the better the 3D, the more chance of ghosting..yes, even with DLP. No doubt you have all seen the "Dracula 4D" trailer. The 3D effect is great but there is ghosting on that material.

I popped into my local electrical retailer yesterday and had another look at the LG DM2350D. Its £70 more expensive because it has a TV Tuner, which I don't require, but the 2 x 5W speakers would be handy it doesn't seem to have a DVI input. The demo on it looked simply stunning. It was a guy throwing a frisbee for his dog in the park. The frisbee hovered (in slow motion) in the centre of the screen and looked like it was popping several inches out of the screen. Both pop-out and depth looked great. Of course, the source material has a lot to do with the success of the 3D. Overall though, I prefer the design of the LG DM2350D and it looks sturdier.

http://m.lg.com/uk/it-products/monit...or-DM2350D.jsp

With that in mind, the one thing that I didn't like about the LGD2342P (aside from the vertical juddering motion problem) was that it felt a bit fragile and cheap with it's plastic casing. Just like someone else mentioned, I struggled with the mains adapter and HDMI cables. Not only where they difficult to access, but the panel with the inputs felt a bit cheap and weak.It is a budget 3D monitor after all. I think the PQ on both models is about the same, but I felt more a wow factor with the LG DM2350D. That may be just to do with the source material.

I am still in the process of getting a refund for my "faulty" LGD2342P but when I get it, I'll probably walk into my local retailer, pay for the LG DM2350D and then test it with my BD player in-store. I do'nt care if they are busy or moaning, but as a consumer I have a right to test that the goods are working properly before I take them with me.

I'm not going to go through all this hassle again.

Gae

#125 ·
Here's the closest clip that I've found that illustrates the problem in 3D....it's similar to this but maybe not exactly the same. I see more of a translucent wash on moving objects. Maybe it's the reponse rate leaving the trail behind? Also, on panning shots, there's motion judder.

Gae

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae /forum/post/21345629

Here's the closest clip that I've found that illustrates the problem in 3D....it's similar to this but maybe not exactly the same. I see more of a translucent wash on moving objects. Maybe it's the reponse rate leaving the trail behind? Also, on panning shots, there's motion judder.

Gae

what am i supposed to look for in this video ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.