AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   3D Displays (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/191-3d-displays/)
-   -   LG AG-S250 RF 3D glasses warning (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/191-3d-displays/1351173-lg-ag-s250-rf-3d-glasses-warning.html)

Ron Exalto 08-01-2011 05:56 AM

I have 3 of these glasses in use on a PZ250 plasma (thats a mirror on the wall, but that's another story) and all have the same problem: they shut off every 10 minutes while watching a movie, unless you run around the room. Just moving your head to take a drink is not enough for the sensors to register that as movement. Very, VERY frustrating. LG Netherlands denies the problem actually saying they've never heard of this. Probably they never heard of Google either.
On the bright site: as long as the glasses keep working the 3D image is fantastic, truth be told!

If you experience the same problems please reply to this message so I can forward this thread to LG to see how many users experience these problems.
Hopefully they'll come up with a solution, but knowing them I'm far from counting on that.

Rupert305 08-04-2011 06:18 PM

I've had a LG 42PW350 for about 1-1/2 months which uses these glasses and have not had the glasses shut off. I've read about this problem on other websites but have not encountered this issue.

Blacklight82 08-05-2011 05:14 PM

I've got the same problem with my 2 pairs. Both shut off every 10 minutes. LG needs to get this fixed. Re-syncing only takes a second or two but it's annoying and ruins the consistency.

blazed 08-08-2011 05:26 AM

yea the auto shutdown is annoying. they should of set them to 2 hours.

Jazzer 08-08-2011 09:25 AM

3 pairs I had were defective. Very upsetting.

blazed 08-08-2011 04:50 PM

i dont know if its considered defective. the manual says it will auto turn off after 10 minutes, which is kinda dumb. for me every few minutes if i turn my head left/right, it prevents it from shutting off automatically.

Jazzer 08-09-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazed View Post

i dont know if its considered defective. the manual says it will auto turn off after 10 minutesff , which is kinda dumb.

Where exactly the manual says that?

I asked the same question on the LG's website, and they said it's not normal.

The question is still there in the Q/A section of the glasses.

Besides, I have one perfectly normal pair.

braingrower 08-09-2011 07:00 PM

I have exactly the same problem. It's bloody ridiculous. How much do they expect you to move when you're watching a movie? Surely they should release a product update that removes this no movement auto off function and have them only shut off if the 3D signal disappears.

I just called LG in Australia and they don't even have any after product support for glasses in this country. What an absolute joke!

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone hears anything good from LG.

braingrower 08-09-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzer View Post

Where exactly the manual says that?

I asked the same question on the LG's website, and they said it's not normal.

The question is still there in the Q/A section of the glasses.

Besides, I have one perfectly normal pair.

It does say it in the manual - in the table on page 3. The manual that's on the little CD, not the quick start guide. But that just means the product has been poorly designed rather than them being defective. People don't move much when watching TV, so they should just remove this stupid feature. Surely if your TV is transmitting 3D and you've turned your glasses on, 99% of the time, you're sitting there watching TV. They just shouldn't turn off

aydu 08-09-2011 07:14 PM

It does seem that this motion feature should be tied to a lack of a sync signal from the tv.

If strictly tied to head motion, it needs to be defeatable. With the small screen sizes used in home theater, head movement would likely be minimal. Probably more in a movie theater, where the screen size requires you to move your head to follow the action across the screen.

blazed 08-09-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braingrower View Post

It does say it in the manual - in the table on page 3. The manual that's on the little CD, not the quick start guide. But that just means the product has been poorly designed rather than them being defective. People don't move much when watching TV, so they should just remove this stupid feature. Surely if your TV is transmitting 3D and you've turned your glasses on, 99% of the time, you're sitting there watching TV. They just shouldn't turn off

thanks for that. i knew i read it awhileback, but i cant find my manual.
i wish there was something to do, like some sort of firmware update to resolve this.

Jazzer 08-10-2011 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braingrower View Post

My friend, it doesn't say anything about being disconnected every 10 minutes.

Here's the exact quote: " The Auto Off function automatically switches the power off when the glasses lose signal from the TV or the PROJECTOR.
This may occur when the distance or angle between the device and the TV or PROJECTOR are out of range; when there is a barrier
between the two devices; or when the device is switched from 3D to 2D mode. "

As I said previously, I have a normally functioning pair, while the other ones (3) were defective.

Personally, I think they have screwed up with their new RF signal design.

cakefoo 08-10-2011 08:11 PM

It doesn't seem like a bad idea if you think about it-- someone sets their glasses on the coffee table and leaves, and the glasses will detect this stillness and power down automatically. The problem is just that the internal sensors aren't sensitive enough to detect active viewers' subtle head movements. Or at least that's my theory.

blazed 08-10-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzer View Post
My friend, it doesn't say anything about being disconnected every 10 minutes.

Here's the exact quote: " The Auto Off function automatically switches the power off when the glasses lose signal from the TV or the PROJECTOR.
This may occur when the distance or angle between the device and the TV or PROJECTOR are out of range; when there is a barrier
between the two devices; or when the device is switched from 3D to 2D mode. "

As I said previously, I have a normally functioning pair, while the other ones (3) were defective.

Personally, I think they have screwed up with their new RF signal design.
i have 2 pairs and my friend has 3 pairs. they all turn off at the ten minute mark, so i assumed that was the "auto off" function.

i wish there was a way to fix solve this problem.

johnherd 10-07-2011 04:11 AM

just got off the phone to lg in united kingdom as they cant help in ireland..finally spoke with someone who knows this problem,and has told me that they have newer version of these glasses to sell..they have the word firmware stamped on them with its number,,and these glasses are more sensitive..hope this helps

john

johanpruys 10-07-2011 08:47 AM

Hi there

3 weeks ago I bought a lg 60pz550 plasma with 3d options.

first of all they gave me the wrong 3d glasses ( lg ag-s100 )

so.... after 2 days of trial and error (and cursing and swearing) I found out that these glasses were incompatible with the 2011 models (quiet hard to find out). IR or RF differences.

then I bought 3 new, 3d glasses ( lg ag-s250 ).

these glasses gave me quit a WHOW factor, pretty good 3d.

but after a couple of minutes I discovered that these glasses were switching off.

so......

I read the manual (more than twice).

and indeed these glasses auto switch off after 10 minutes! (unless you jump around)

so I called Lg and they said that there is nothing they could do.

I disagreed and said that this is a serious defect in construction!
and if they won't fix the problem they could collect and return my tv including the glasses!

so...... The LG lady made a notification of it and said that she would bring up the quetion to LG international and that it would take 10 days for her to reply.

In the meanwhile I bought a pair of the more expensive LG ag-s270 glasses to check if they were more sensitive and had a better crosstalk performance.

well................ exactly the same problems.

so don't let yourself get fooled!

LG needs to fix these Glasses

LG,

please

1. fix the motion sensitivety or
2. instead of 10 minutes "auto switch of" make it 2 hours.

if they don't respond to my question/demands I will bring my television back.

greetings.

ps. solutions and answers are very welcome

pwise 10-14-2011 04:28 PM

I have exactly the same problem with my new LG Plasma and active glasses. 10 minutes, they shut off.

Can't believe they would do that while receiving a 3d signal from the TV.

It's not like they don't claim to stay charged 30-40 hours and leaving them on for a couple hours even if they were laying on the table would hurt.

The whole setup is going back to FRYs I think. This isn't a problem with the Samsung a friend just bought.

Though I hate to give up plasma.

MACRi 11-06-2011 01:21 PM

Hi Guys,

I just had to post this because I had similar experience with a LG 3D TV (Model: 60PZ950).

I had 5 pairs of AG-S250 3D glasses, all of which would turn off around 10 mins of use. I contacted LG several times via email, and got a different response each time, none of which helped.

I was told to ensure the glasses were fully charged, and that I was moving during watching, reset the TV, etc. Nothing worked.

I called LG on Friday, and after being put on hold for a while, was told that if I checked my glasses they were firmware version 0.63 (which they were, all 5 of them).

I was advised by LG that this was a known fault with these glasses and my model TV, and was told to return all 5 sets to the retailer and exchange them for Firmware Version 0.64 which would address the issue.

This also caused issues, as when I turned up at the retailer, they had no idea about this, and in fact all their stock was 0.63 (same as what I had).

I had to call LG again from the store and let the store manager speak to them, after much arguing with LG, the retailer agreed to order the stock directly from LG to ensure 0.64 version was supplied.

I am yet to receive a call back from the retailer to pick up the new glasses, but it was good to finally have LG admit that there was a fault with their glasses.

I hope this helps some of you out!! Ask about the v0.64 glasses! And if your retailer asks (as mine did), the firmware CANNOT be updated by them! They must order the glasses from LG who are now only shipping 0.64 firmware glasses!

Good luck! If I have further issues with the new version, I'll be sure to post about it!

badbradphx 11-07-2011 03:52 PM

I called LG, they said the glasses were defective. Then I mentioned the 10 min period in the manual. The service rep contacted tech support. After lengthy hold period the service rep came back and said it is fixed in software update .64 and that I have to return them to the retailer to exchange them.

I then asked if the retailer would know to give me the new ones and not give me the bad ones. The service rep said doubtful as .64 is not even out yet. Then they have to manufacture the glasses and send them to the retailer at such a time I can exchange them. I asked for an eta and he said there is none. I called twice and sent two follow up emails.

I'm returning my TV before the return period runs out. Maybe they will be fixed it soon, but if you look at the start date of this thread you know that LG is not in a hurry.

pwise 11-08-2011 11:01 AM

I talked to US LG customer service yesterday as well. He had no knowledge of the issue but promised to research and get back with me.

I got mine at Frys and the dept mgr has the same TV and the same problem so he's working on it as well. He has given my printout of this thread to his rep, but nothing has come back on it.

Frys only suggestion at this point was to use a pair of Revena Platinum Series Universals that are supposed to work now. I'd rather not go that way myself.

badbradphx 11-10-2011 01:19 PM

LG sent me an email saying my case was closed as they are no longer manufacturing the .63 level of glasses.

Mike in PA 11-13-2011 09:23 AM

My two pair of glasses are version 0.63 and they also turn off after 10 minutes. I agree that this is totally unacceptable.

I am returning these as defective to Amazon before the 30 day return period is up.

I will ask for replacements and return any version 0.63 glasses I receive. I bought the TV on Amazon and got the glasses for free, so I don't know how much I can do to get the two pairs replaced, except to keep returning them as defective until I get version 0.64.

I have four more ordered that I will return if they are version 0.63.

68mustang 11-13-2011 10:35 PM

I have the same problem with the glasses turning off randomly as everyone else in this thread. I have two pairs of glasses and explained to the LG tech that the problem is in the glasses with the auto shut off function. The tech scheduled a service call and they replaced a circuit board which made no sense to me given that one pair of glasses would stay on and the other turned off. Needless to say, replacing the circuit board did not resolve my issue. Now LG is sending me replacement glasses, hope they are firmware 0.64. Seems like there should be a factory recall give the problem is in the design of the glasses, not actually a defective part. The customer service rep stated that there would be a software update on 11/10/11, but I haven't received any update to my TV yet and its several days later. Hope to hear back if anyone gets glasses with firmware 0.64.

crookdbill 11-14-2011 10:40 AM

Hi everyone. I just contacted lg via chat today in reference to the glasses and after the normal barrage of questions the representative opened up a case and they are sending me replacement glasses free of charge. Might want to try to contact them today via chat and see if you have any luck.
I attached a copy of the email transcript for reference. the removed lines are my name address and tv serial number.

Now if someone could help me out with calibration settings for a pz550/750 it would be awesome
LL

MACRi 11-16-2011 01:27 PM

Well it's been almost 2 weeks now, and I'm still waiting for the order to come in from LG to the retailer.

I would have loved if I could have organised a replacement through LG (in fact the retailer also asked LG if the customer could deal directly with them), and we were told I would have to go through the retailer.

I have a feeling that the 0.64 glasses havent even hit shelves yet. I know that the retailer I went back to only stocked 0.63 and they had a whole heap of them on the shelves.

I gave them a buzz earlier, and they have advised they have recieved the order, however, were unable to locate them. I'm waiting on a call back, hopfully to go pick them up tonight.

No doubt I will test them out and post my findings. The 0.63 version would turn off regardless of weather there was motion or not, typically after 10 mins of watching. Hopefully this addresses the issue.

68mustang 11-17-2011 10:43 PM

I received my replacement AG-S250's with firmware 0.64 today from LG. I tested the glasses out and both glasses stayed on for the entire movie. Looks like LG fixed the auto shut off problem.

mrdeath2000 11-27-2011 11:40 AM

Where does it list what Firmware version they are? Is it listed on the box so you can check in the store before purchase?
Or is it listed on the glasses meaning you have to open them up (maybe store rep will let you do it there, or right after you checkout)?

Thanks!!
Looking to purchase a 2 pair at my local phoenix Frys Electronics.

mrdeath2000 11-27-2011 11:59 AM

*Update*
Picked up 2 from Frys Electronics and they are both firmware .63, they clearly say on the sticker label on the outside with the serial number. I went back to their mini display of assorted types and they were all f/w .63.

I'll try them out tonight and see how it goes.

-------------------------------------------------------
OK, a little more searchin and a review on Amazon says the firmware is listed on the label on the box. I'll confirm in a day or two when I roll down and pick mine up.

blubolt 11-28-2011 07:57 AM

I just wanted to add that I recently received a pair of .63 version glasses. The glasses have stayed on successfully for me without incident. I was nervous when I saw the version .63 on the box. I only ordered one pair for 52.03 and now the price is much higher I would have purchased 4 more pairs but I wanted to see how inconvenient the problem was. Also I started reading about lg sending complimentary replacements for faulty glasses. I will say this the glasses fit tight I don't have a large head. I feel people with above average head sizes would be very uncomfortable as once the glasses are open they do not have a spring mechanism to open the temples further than parallel. I feel by not opening wider the glasses will be prone to breaking or bending for some people. Are the .64 any different in design or just in firmware?

Electricide 11-29-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post

Where does it list what Firmware version they are? Is it listed on the box so you can check in the store before purchase?
Or is it listed on the glasses meaning you have to open them up (maybe store rep will let you do it there, or right after you checkout)?

Thanks!!
Looking to purchase a 2 pair at my local phoenix Frys Electronics.

If someone is buying these soon and wants to provide a picture of the box and FW label it would be helpful. I want to put these on my xmas list but need to make it as easy as possible for the in-laws.