post #331 of 354 Old 12-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roofless View Post

Ever since the LG 55LW9800 became available, I've been watching the price and monitoring this thread and reviews elsewhere. Given the mixed reviews, the initial price of $3799 was too steep. When it dropped to $2799, I got interested, but I figured the price might drop further for the holidays. Then LG apparently discontinued this model, and it became impossible to find online.

I gave up on this TV and started watching prices for the 55LW6500 instead. I also started looking at the Vizio XVT3D556SP that's allegedly coming out this month, but isn't anywhere to be seen yet.

The LG web site listed BrandsMart as the only local retailer that sold the 55LW9800. The BrandsMart web site said that they still had this model in some stores for $2799, so on a whim, I decided to call my local BrandsMart yesterday to see if they still had it. Not only did they have one (and only one), they were now selling it for $1899! The TV might not be perfect, but it's a great deal at that price, so I grabbed it. I don't have the TV yet, it will be delivered tomorrow.

If you still want one of these and live anywhere near BrandsMart, give them a call. Don't wait too long!

For that kind of money it is an excellent buy .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 354 Old 12-17-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofless View Post

Ever since the LG 55LW9800 became available, I've been watching the price and monitoring this thread and reviews elsewhere. Given the mixed reviews, the initial price of $3799 was too steep. When it dropped to $2799, I got interested, but I figured the price might drop further for the holidays. Then LG apparently discontinued this model, and it became impossible to find online.

I gave up on this TV and started watching prices for the 55LW6500 instead. I also started looking at the Vizio XVT3D556SP that's allegedly coming out this month, but isn't anywhere to be seen yet.

The LG web site listed BrandsMart as the only local retailer that sold the 55LW9800. The BrandsMart web site said that they still had this model in some stores for $2799, so on a whim, I decided to call my local BrandsMart yesterday to see if they still had it. Not only did they have one (and only one), they were now selling it for $1899! The TV might not be perfect, but it's a great deal at that price, so I grabbed it. I don't have the TV yet, it will be delivered tomorrow.

If you still want one of these and live anywhere near BrandsMart, give them a call. Don't wait too long!

Please report back what you think of it once it arrives. The reviews on this set have been somewhat mixed, so it would be interesting to hear your first hand impressions. Thanks.
post #333 of 354 Old 12-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videkid View Post

For that kind of money it is an excellent buy .

how is 1899 a good deal on a discontinued lw9800? the panel got bad reviews by cnet. maybe if it was selling for ~900 i might say its a good deal.
post #334 of 354 Old 12-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denon_Kid View Post

how is 1899 a good deal on a discontinued lw9800? the panel got bad reviews by cnet. maybe if it was selling for ~900 i might say its a good deal.

CNET gave this set a 3.5 stars and a very good final opinion. Your continued attacks on LG expose your agenda. You have no credibility on this forum.

CNET UK gave the same set 4.5 stars. People should read what the experts say, not a person who spends all day writing libel statements about LG.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/tvs/lg-55l...view-50006142/
post #335 of 354 Old 12-17-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

CNET gave this set a 3.5 stars and a very good final opinion. Your continued attacks on LG expose your agenda. You have no credibility on this forum.

CNET UK gave the same set 4.5 stars. People should read what the experts say, not a person who spends all day writing libel statements about LG.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/tvs/lg-55l...view-50006142/

Maybe he works for one of the competitors and gets paid to bad mouth LG

[color=Blue]
psn id: hunter4life
Live Gamertag: huntre4life (notice "re" not "er" in hunter)
post #336 of 354 Old 01-05-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 191
No longer available.
post #337 of 354 Old 01-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

No longer available.

yes, such a great panel its no longer available. that makes perfect sense.

Quote:

who in their right mind would buy a panel that was said to be dismal as cnet does? cnet "stars" dont mean crud. i dont need to be "credible", i can let cnet speak for me.

from cnet:

"This expensive full-array LED TV can't match competing models in picture quality, with lighter black levels and poor gamma and shadow detail in the most forgiving picture modes. Its screen performed poorly in ambient light, and blooming was relatively common. The Smart TV's search function is next to useless. 3D image quality was worse overall (softer image, more artifacts) than active 3D.

The bottom line: The expensive LG 55LW9800's picture quality doesn't live up to the promise of its full-array local dimming LED backlight."

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-35004016.html
post #338 of 354 Old 01-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yes, such a great panel its no longer available. that makes perfect sense.

who in their right mind would buy a panel that was said to be dismal as cnet does? cnet "stars" dont mean crud. i dont need to be "credible", i can let cnet speak for me.

from cnet:

"This expensive full-array LED TV can't match competing models in picture quality, with lighter black levels and poor gamma and shadow detail in the most forgiving picture modes. Its screen performed poorly in ambient light, and blooming was relatively common. The Smart TV's search function is next to useless. 3D image quality was worse overall (softer image, more artifacts) than active 3D.

The bottom line: The expensive LG 55LW9800's picture quality doesn't live up to the promise of its full-array local dimming LED backlight."

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-35004016.html

Give it up Denon Kid, you attack LG so much you have lost all credibility. Below 2k the set is a good choice for passive 3D fans.

CNET is respected but not the end all be all of reviews. If they were you would still have your LX9500.
post #339 of 354 Old 01-08-2012, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Give it up Denon Kid, you attack LG so much you have lost all credibility. Below 2k the set is a good choice for passive 3D fans.

CNET is respected but not the end all be all of reviews. If they were you would still have your LX9500.

credibility of what? i am not offering advice or suggestions, was just posting the info that has already been posted by other sources like CNET. oh, maybe you mean CNET is not credible??

and you're right, "give it up", indeed i have, i am not buying any LG products because i personally feel their products are currently sub-par compared to competitor products. maybe 10yrs from now i will put LG back on my list of "maybe".
post #340 of 354 Old 01-08-2012, 08:38 AM

Hi there ,

I am a proud LG 55LW9800's Owner from Samsung 52ln750a. I like this TV alot compared to my old Samsung. This TV is on par with Plasma TV that I see in store, but again all depends on the trick of the viewer's eyes. Picture Quality wise, this blows my old Samsung and even the new D8000 as my other alternative. I ditched Samsung due to the below par quality. I love the Passive 3D as well as it saved me battery expenses, less headache, lightweight, and easy cheap glasses replacements. The quality of the passive 3D is the same with Active 3D glasses, so it is an easy choice for me to pick the right TV . Spec wise this TV may dissapoint, but again trust your eyes and enjoy that more than a spec. I don't know that this TV is discontinued or not as in US there are stores that still sell it and the website still give much support with branding this as new Release. I do get it Cheap, so not going to get bummer if this is no longer a hot release. Technology moves fast! . Compared to my old Samsung TV, this TV does not produce Halo edges from the "not so well thought" ToC casing by Samsung. I like the build and sound quality from LG. Like all TVs... nothing's perfect. The following are what I gathered as the "missing" link compared to the old TV of mine:
1. No PiP even though it's 3 inches larger!
2. No Scheduled timer for its TV Guide, and you will lose all the infos once you move from one channel to another. I can't check what's on for other channels unless I click on the channel first.
3. The aspect Ratio modes are better on Samsung. I can change the DTV aspect ratio to remove the black edges while I can't do it on this TV.
4. It can't differentiate DTV and TV signal... even though there are no TV signals on the list... it still can show TV signal that might surprise you with a loud white noise from time to time. ( I like to listen at a loud volume and DTV volume apparently are lower compared to analog TV signal)
5. The menu is not as friendly. Quick Menu do not give access to change TruMotion and LED dimming.
post #341 of 354 Old 01-08-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Starts off good, then gives a list of what he doesn't like about it! I guess it comes down to being a 50% love it, a 50% doesn't like it. Moot point anyways as it's only being sold by dealers that got stuck with inventory.
post #342 of 354 Old 01-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

will Sharp's "4k" panels trump LG's oled? both should be out this summer.
post #343 of 354 Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Isn't LG coming out with it's own 4k panel as well? That would make your question kind of "moot point". LG was also promising 1920x2160 panel for it's passive 3D sets, so when in 3D mode each eye would see full 1080p resolution.

Quote:

will Sharp's "4k" panels trump LG's oled? both should be out this summer.

post #344 of 354 Old 01-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Owning a 4K tv, no matter who the manufacture is worthless without content, bring on the OLED ; )
post #345 of 354 Old 01-12-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Owning a 4K tv, no matter who the manufacture is worthless without content, bring on the OLED ; )

Not true. With video processing you can upscale 2K to 4k, and (if done properly) the picture will look sharper. I expect the 4k manufacturers will soon have side-by-side comparisons showing the difference.
post #346 of 354 Old 01-15-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

New Blu-ray players? (Or something newer) Are we going to replace our Blu-ray libraries again?
New 9.1 AVRs that can switch the new 4K upgrade feeds.
New TV.
New speakers.
New AV equalizers.
New Calibration equipment.
New divorce proceedings!
post #347 of 354 Old 02-06-2012, 10:10 PM

I recently purchased the 55lw9800 and I'm trying to get my old game systems working properly with it. It seems that when I'm playing something with a resolution of 320x240 or less, and the tv is in game mode (to reduce the lag), I get about 1 second of static or "snow" every 15 to 20 seconds. In other modes this disappears, but the games lag, especially the ones that run at 60fps. One game, Turok 2 on n64, offers a high def mode of 640x480. As soon as I switch to this mode, the problem goes away, so the problem definitely seems to be the way the tv is handling the low resolution. I've been searching all around online and have not found anyone else complaining about this. I even called LG and they said they hadn't heard of this problem. I'm wondering if this is just a defect in my tv or if this happens with every 55lw9800. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
post #348 of 354 Old 02-13-2012, 07:21 PM

i always wait a couple of months to buy a tv, i wait on the reviews from a couple of professionals not just cnet and also for a couple of high rollers to be the lab rat i dont have that type of money to throw around and garabage + i am in jamaica i cant ship it back lol. love my lw5600 though thanks to the great forums here
post #349 of 354 Old 03-01-2012, 07:22 PM

I picked this TV up at Fry's for $1599. It was only $300 more expensive than a brand new LW5600 so I pulled the trigger. I'm VERY happy with this TV and it has one of the best out of the box pictures I've ever seen.
post #350 of 354 Old 05-04-2014, 11:22 AM

Does anyone know if one of these can be picked up anywhere?
post #351 of 354 Old 05-04-2014, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This model came out 3 years ago, had it for a week before returning it because it was a total disappointment. What made you look for this model?

Emmat2011
post #352 of 354 Old 05-08-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmat2011 View Post

This model came out 3 years ago, had it for a week before returning it because it was a total disappointment. What made you look for this model?
Full array local dimming and passive 3D.
post #353 of 354 Old 05-15-2014, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post

Full array local dimming and passive 3D.
Don't think you'll find it anywhere, have you looked at the 2014 lg lineup?

Emmat2011
post #354 of 354 Old 05-16-2014, 03:32 AM

I have however the reviews state that the black levels are poor.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page