I am a proud LG 55LW9800's Owner from Samsung 52ln750a. I like this TV alot compared to my old Samsung. This TV is on par with Plasma TV that I see in store, but again all depends on the trick of the viewer's eyes. Picture Quality wise, this blows my old Samsung and even the new D8000 as my other alternative. I ditched Samsung due to the below par quality. I love the Passive 3D as well as it saved me battery expenses, less headache, lightweight, and easy cheap glasses replacements. The quality of the passive 3D is the same with Active 3D glasses, so it is an easy choice for me to pick the right TV
. Spec wise this TV may dissapoint, but again trust your eyes and enjoy that more than a spec. I don't know that this TV is discontinued or not as in US there are stores that still sell it and the website still give much support with branding this as new Release. I do get it Cheap, so not going to get bummer if this is no longer a hot release. Technology moves fast!
. Compared to my old Samsung TV, this TV does not produce Halo edges from the "not so well thought" ToC casing by Samsung. I like the build and sound quality from LG. Like all TVs... nothing's perfect. The following are what I gathered as the "missing" link compared to the old TV of mine:
1. No PiP even though it's 3 inches larger!
2. No Scheduled timer for its TV Guide, and you will lose all the infos once you move from one channel to another. I can't check what's on for other channels unless I click on the channel first.
3. The aspect Ratio modes are better on Samsung. I can change the DTV aspect ratio to remove the black edges while I can't do it on this TV.
4. It can't differentiate DTV and TV signal... even though there are no TV signals on the list... it still can show TV signal that might surprise you with a loud white noise from time to time. ( I like to listen at a loud volume
and DTV volume apparently are lower compared to analog TV signal)
5. The menu is not as friendly. Quick Menu do not give access to change TruMotion and LED dimming.