post #91 of 354 Old 09-28-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustovier View Post

The other challenge is the price, everyone has the 6500 (and 5600) on sale right now, but most of those sales last tile like oct 1 or 4th, It would suck to see the 9800 and decide its not worth the cost and now the 6500/5600 is $500 bucks more...

That's my concern as well. Another concern that I have is that the "official" price of 9800 is around $3700 so I'm not sure how much it will cost at retail. Even if places like Amazon sell it for a lot lower than retail, what price should we expect? Around $2500 - $3k (55 inch model)....which is still a lot more money for me to spend on a TV.

On the other hand, if the review are REALLY good and if there is a big difference in performance from 5600/6500 models, then I will just postpone my 3D tv purchase till 9800 falls to a manageable price.

[color=Blue]
psn id: hunter4life
Live Gamertag: huntre4life (notice "re" not "er" in hunter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 354 Old 09-28-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post

That's my concern as well. Another concern that I have is that the "official" price of 9800 is around $3700 so I'm not sure how much it will cost at retail. Even if places like Amazon sell it for a lot lower than retail, what price should we expect? Around $2500 - $3k (55 inch model)....which is still a lot more money for me to spend on a TV.

On the other hand, if the review are REALLY good and if there is a big difference in performance from 5600/6500 models, then I will just postpone my 3D tv purchase till 9800 falls to a manageable price.

Yup it looks like we are in the same boat here. I was thinking i could purchase it to lock in the price, and then just not go pick it up for a little while, and then there's even a 30 day return policy which gives me more time to check out the reviews for the 9800 when it drops. The only problem is who knows when it will actually come out. I hate when press releases state it's shipping now, but none of the consumer stores have any idea whatsoever when it will actually be released. I always pick the worst times to look for a new TV, well i guess this could be 1 month ago, it seems like we are close to a release..maybe...
post #93 of 354 Old 09-28-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 174
As time gets closer to CES, models have a tendancy to disappear, and new models appear for CES. These models never seem to appear either! The 55LHX - short run - disappeared and remnants sold off. (And still being sold off!) 55LW9500 - short run - disappeared with remnants showing up after as the 55LV9500. (HSN sold them all off, excepting the poor blokes who had malcontent shippers and ended up with only credit refunds!) LG seems to want to more push the Low and Mid range TVs where most of the no complainers are, plus they're going for volume! Hi end stuff gets picked up in time for football playoffs, returned after the game and dealers are left holding them until they sell them off for a loss! So maybe the 55LW9800 won't show up until after Black Friday, and the football season is over! Anyways, just my 2 cents!
post #94 of 354 Old 09-29-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_puppet View Post

Isn't 'Dual Play' simply the old '2 x left lenses in one pair of glasses, 2 x right lenses in the other pair and run SBS/Top-bottom 3D' trick?

It may be more than that because the above trick doesn't work properly. Due to the nature of how side-by-side and top-bottom 3D works, you can do the above and the players will see their own screen, but the picture is horribly distorted. Both the SBS and TB modes assume the entire frame is squashed into a half height or half width frame and it stretches them out to full screen. So you're looking at either half height fat enemies or half width skinny ones. I'd never play like that as it throws off everything. So I'm thinking the "dual play" mode might compensate for this by knowing that it isn't a full frame squashed into half height/width but rather a game that is showing a proper view in both halves.

Mike
post #95 of 354 Old 09-29-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchaney View Post

It may be more than that because the above trick doesn't work properly. Due to the nature of how side-by-side and top-bottom 3D works, you can do the above and the players will see their own screen, but the picture is horribly distorted. Both the SBS and TB modes assume the entire frame is squashed into a half height or half width frame and it stretches them out to full screen. So you're looking at either half height fat enemies or half width skinny ones. I'd never play like that as it throws off everything. So I'm thinking the "dual play" mode might compensate for this by knowing that it isn't a full frame squashed into half height/width but rather a game that is showing a proper view in both halves.

Mike

Yeah, good point, I was wondering about that too - if the 'dual play' feature will actually compensate for aspect. But I'm stumped how this could be done through the TV alone (except maybe cutting it into a quarter screen, then expanding to full?). As you pointed out, in split-screen play, each player doesn't actually a full-screen's worth of view, it's cropped off (top/bot or l/r), so some of the full screen is missing. It seems to me then, that it would have to be up to the game console to squash two *full* screens side by side or top/bottom? I'll be curious to see how LG implemented this feature in the 9800...
post #96 of 354 Old 09-29-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_puppet View Post

Yeah, good point, I was wondering about that too - if the 'dual play' feature will actually compensate for aspect. But I'm stumped how this could be done through the TV alone (except maybe cutting it into a quarter screen, then expanding to full?). As you pointed out, in split-screen play, each player doesn't actually a full-screen's worth of view, it's cropped off (top/bot or l/r), so some of the full screen is missing. It seems to me then, that it would have to be up to the game console to squash two *full* screens side by side or top/bottom? I'll be curious to see how LG implemented this feature in the 9800...

It isnt done by the TV alone. The game has to actually code for it. This just wont work for any game at any time. I also dont see where you figure the 9800 will have this feature. None of the material I've seen supports it, can you point me to where you saw it?
post #97 of 354 Old 09-29-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:

It isnt done by the TV alone. The game has to actually code for it. This just wont work for any game at any time. I also dont see where you figure the 9800 will have this feature. None of the material I've seen supports it, can you point me to where you saw it?

LW980T does have it, and it's supposed to be the european model of the 9800. Which is why I was asking about whether they truly are the same model and if the 980T was coming to north america.
post #98 of 354 Old 09-29-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:

Technically, to do SBS or TB correctly with dual view, you only need the game/console to do it right. The TV doesn't have to have anything special or have any special modes. If the game simply had an SBS mode where player 1's screen is squashed into the left 960x1080 and player 2's screen is squashed into the right 960x1080, you could use your SBS 3D mode on any 3D TV and it would work properly.

Then there are games like Halo which split TB but there are black bars on the left/right because they want the top and bottom chunks to still conform to something comparable to 16:9. In cases like that, with the right software the TV could take the top/bottom pieces, subtract the black bars on the sides, and give each of the two players one view that is larger than what they had. I kinda doubt any TV manufacturer will make such a specialized mode though.

Mike
post #99 of 354 Old 09-29-2011, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Its seems that the 9800 debut isn't too far away. I noticed on Amazon that the ''usually ships in one to two months'' is now down to ''two to five weeks.'' By the way does any know if ''BuyDig'' is in fact an authorized LG dealer / reseller? Also is this is reputable retailer?
post #100 of 354 Old 09-29-2011, 11:28 PM

From frys.com: "Ship By Fri Oct 14 2011"

http://www.frys.com/product/6744985
post #101 of 354 Old 09-30-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvolkman View Post

From frys.com: "Ship By Fri Oct 14 2011"

http://www.frys.com/product/6744985

Price: $3,799.99 !!! Good, if the price stays that high... that will make it easier for me to pick up LW6500

[color=Blue]
post #102 of 354 Old 09-30-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post

Price: $3,799.99 !!! Good, if the price stays that high... that will make it easier for me to pick up LW6500

Between that and the fact that it has the glossy screen is what's hindering me. If it was matte I might almost be swayed...maybe...
post #103 of 354 Old 09-30-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Between that and the fact that it has the glossy screen is what's hindering me. If it was matte I might almost be swayed...maybe...

I'm not worried about the screen but price is definitely a big concern for me. I just cannot justify paying twice the money as LW6500 for something that in reality may or may not have significant difference.

[color=Blue]
post #104 of 354 Old 09-30-2011, 09:26 AM

I'm in the same boat. I am bouncing back and forth between the 5600 and the 9800. I realize the 9800 is full array and the 5600 / 6500 series is edge-lit. What I am wondering is that if there is ambient lighting, would the 5600 have the same or close to the same black levels as the nano??? I could care less about the refresh rate and I am assuming (I know, I know!!!) the 3d function is the same. Any thoughts? By the way there are pre-order sites that are offering the 9800 for less than the MSRP.
post #105 of 354 Old 09-30-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abba1 View Post

I'm in the same boat. I am bouncing back and forth between the 5600 and the 9800. I realize the 9800 is full array and the 5600 / 6500 series is edge-lit. What I am wondering is that if there is ambient lighting, would the 5600 have the same or close to the same black levels as the nano??? I could care less about the refresh rate and I am assuming (I know, I know!!!) the 3d function is the same. Any thoughts? By the way there are pre-order sites that are offering the 9800 for less than the MSRP.

LG may only ship to dealers maintaining the SRP - after all those orders are taken care of, then the others might get some!?
Once you watched Side, Top or both Black Bars, and seen the light jutting into them, then later to see the exact same areas when full screen where the colour looks a little washed out - edge lit is not for me! Full, or nothing!

Just checked Amazon - it still says 1 to 2 Months!
post #106 of 354 Old 09-30-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

LG may only ship to dealers maintaining the SRP - after all those orders are taken care of, then the others might get some!?
Once you watched Side, Top or both Black Bars, and seen the light jutting into them, then later to see the exact same areas when full screen where the colour looks a little washed out - edge lit is not for me! Full, or nothing!

Just checked Amazon - it still says 1 to 2 Months!

Strange...just yesterday Amazon was showing 2 to 5 weeks. Oh well, nothing can be done about that except maintaining one's patience level!
post #107 of 354 Old 09-30-2011, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Why is this tv so pricey. I guess cause it's brand new? Aren't there full LCD backlit tvs that arent passive for under 2k that are just as good if not better?
post #108 of 354 Old 09-30-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevfx View Post

Why is this tv so pricey. I guess cause it's brand new? Aren't there full LCD backlit tvs that arent passive for under 2k that are just as good if not better?

My local dealer already pre-ordered for 3! I imagine the same all over - people are getting a positve vibe with this new Model - now it's up to LG, not to blow it!
post #109 of 354 Old 09-30-2011, 09:03 PM

Check J & R for an excellent/best price on the 9800. They're saying shipping by Oct. 14. Also noticed that LG is not including the glasses with this one. Strange that you have to buy them. I know it's being touted as passive but why are they not throwing in glasses unless it's active?
post #110 of 354 Old 10-01-2011, 05:15 AM

They do include the glasses. If you go to LG's website they have the 9800 listed they specifically say ''4 flicker-free glasses included.''
post #111 of 354 Old 10-01-2011, 06:34 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

''4 flicker-free glasses included.''

By saying "flicker-free" is LG trying to say they are passive or are they trying to continue the brain wash that says all active systems flicker? My active display does not flicker. I would say most new active displays don't flicker.
post #112 of 354 Old 10-01-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robut View Post

By saying "flicker-free" is LG trying to say they are passive or are they trying to continue the brain wash that says all active systems flicker?

both
post #113 of 354 Old 10-01-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:

They do include the glasses. If you go to LG's website they have the 9800 listed they specifically say ''4 flicker-free glasses included.''

Thanks for clearing that up. I got confused because this is what is listed on J & R's website:
3D Ready (3D requires use of LG 3D Eyeglasses)
3D Display 3D Ready - Requires optional hardware

Anyhow...torn between waiting or going with the larger 65LW6500.
Anyone have the 65LW who can talk about their experience with it?
(And sorry if this is the wrong place to ask that question--still learning the board).
post #114 of 354 Old 10-01-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysoul View Post

Thanks for clearing that up. I got confused because this is what is listed on J & R's website:
3D Ready (3D requires use of LG 3D Eyeglasses)
3D Display 3D Ready - Requires optional hardware

Anyhow...torn between waiting or going with the larger 65LW6500.
Anyone have the 65LW who can talk about their experience with it?
(And sorry if this is the wrong place to ask that question--still learning the board).

I posted a review on Amazon about my 65LW6500, user E.L.
post #115 of 354 Old 10-01-2011, 10:42 AM

can you guys please help find my answer i really wanna know cuase this tv is expensive but is the 9800 model going to be true 1080 hd 3d i know passive cant do 1080 only active but lg is claiming full 1080 cuase if it isnt im going for the 6500 model
post #116 of 354 Old 10-01-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroso View Post

can you guys please help find my answer i really wanna know cuase this tv is expensive but is the 9800 model going to be true 1080 hd 3d i know passive cant do 1080 only active but lg is claiming full 1080 cuase if it isnt im going for the 6500 model

I am by no means an expert. However, having said that, it seems that the old adage ''perception is everything'' applies here. I have read just about all the user reviews of the 6500 /5600 series (including all sizes) and the majority of reviews are positive. Most say that the 3d effect for the LG passive sets is the same or better than the active sets. Again this is all subjective so take that with the usual grain of salt. For me what is more important is the black level and color accuracy. On these two counts the 9800 SHOULD perform well. We will just have to wait and see.
post #117 of 354 Old 10-01-2011, 01:12 PM

disappointed at the black level. I will wait for more reviews.
post #118 of 354 Old 10-01-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh87 View Post

disappointed at the black level. I will wait for more reviews.

Link?

[color=Blue]
post #119 of 354 Old 10-01-2011, 02:33 PM

post #120 of 354 Old 10-01-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-JTL View Post

I posted a review on Amazon about my 65LW6500, user E.L.

Thanks! Excellent review; well stated. I am also looking for the size and the passive 3D and if the blacks are okay, then this is the one for me.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page