post #181 of 354 Old 10-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by abba1 View Post

Thank you for your response. No, I am not trying to convince myself of anything. What I am trying to do is to make sure my hard-earned money is spent well. I understand the reviewer was probably not referring to the 5600/6500 series. But the statement still stands; ''outperforms MOST edge LED T.V.'s'' .....but not all. One would think that for a flagship unit and at it's current price it would. I've following with interest AV Forum from ''across the pond.'' There are a number of posters on their LW980T thread that, if I'm reading them right, have come thus far to the same conclusion; its a very good TV but not worth the money. Now I realize the LW980T and the 9800 may be different in some aspects, but they must be in the same ballpark. Honestly, the money I shell out for a T.V. isn't the issue. It's; is it worth it? Perhaps when a few more reviews trickle in, I'll be convinced. I love my Honda Civic by the way!!!

You have to determine what's worth what. In my opinion the only edgelit worth looking at is the Sony NX720. Some edgelit sets have descent black levels but the flashlights and clouding are horrible.

I like LG backlit sets but would not purchase their edgelit sets. Just don't take one sentence from a review an purchase a TV that you won't be happy with. That would be like a auto review stating the Honda Civic has a larger interior than a Porsche so I purchase the Civic thinking its better than a Porsche.

My advise is purchase the best TV you can afford and spend as little as possible, it will be obsolete within a year or two.

8 thousand dollars for an Elite when next years model will most likely be cheaper and better is not so smart. 1,800 USD on a 55" Sony NX720 purchases the best edgelit.

The 980t has less than 100 led zones, the 9800 has 288 . Again your comparing apples and oranges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 354 Old 10-22-2011, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Videkid, thank you for your input. My wife just rolls her eyes when I mention an upgrade from my present T.V. (Samsung 5271). Just want to make sure that whatever I purchase will truly be an upgrade without ''buyer's remorse'' nor the comment, ''I don't see any difference"!!!
post #183 of 354 Old 10-22-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

It depends when it will show up at my local Canadian Dealer. (December ?)

Just in, a preview from a member down to see the set at Fry's - he was disappointed at the lack of Blacks - CNET might be right? The 55LV9500 (Now available again at HSN in limited quantities) had far better Blacks he found.

Sticking with the 55LHX and 55LV9500. Wife's insistance that we don't need anymore TVs! Cancelled 55LW9800 and Sharp Elite Pro 70! (Maybe she wants to surprise me for Christmas? (NOT!))
post #184 of 354 Old 10-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sticking with the 55LHX and 55LV9500. Wife's insistance that we don't need anymore TVs! Cancelled 55LW9800 and Sharp Elite Pro 70! (Maybe she wants to surprise me for Christmas? (NOT!))

My wife hates the money I have spent on TV's. If I was single I would have purchased a 55vt30 and added to my collection. I like the Panny plasma and fight the urge to purchase one all the time.

The verbal assault I would get from my wife has so far kept me from pulling the trigger.
post #185 of 354 Old 10-22-2011, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post

emmat2011,

Thanks for sharing that. Looking forward to a more detailed review from you. Any chance that you can post some pics of the set ?

I will have a chance to do a more detailed review tomorrow. I will post photos for those who want to see the nano technology in action. I have no doubts that this set has plasma like black levels. I really think that this set is the way to go unless you want the lw6500 which has bleeding light issues and lets to forget artifacts as well. That's the reason I got rid of it and sold it to my brother.

Emmat2011
post #186 of 354 Old 10-22-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got an alert from J&R that they will have LW9800 in stock in few days. Only problem is that their price is $2,999. I hope that once more retailers have it in stock the price will drop.

[color=Blue]
psn id: hunter4life
Live Gamertag: huntre4life (notice "re" not "er" in hunter)
post #187 of 354 Old 10-23-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Will learn to make due - have gone back to the ISF calibrated settings on my 55LHX, then duplicated in Experts 1 & 2 - cuts down the Warm up time by half - looks good! The 55LW9800 will have to wait for now. Will watch for postings from new purchasers and see how they make out.
post #188 of 354 Old 10-23-2011, 02:05 PM

They just got in one at Fry's in Wilsonville, Or. Hard to evaluate there, did notice that black scenes are typical LED blue-black. Very expensive, by far the most expensive tv they had.
post #189 of 354 Old 10-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdunn View Post

They just got in one at Fry's in Wilsonville, Or. Hard to evaluate there, did notice that black scenes are typical LED blue-black. Very expensive, by far the most expensive tv they had.

The blue blacks are easy to fix with color temp. Adjustment.
post #190 of 354 Old 10-23-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videkid View Post

The blue blacks are easy to fix with color temp. Adjustment.

Mostly by default the color temp from factory is set to "Cool" and that causes this issue. Maybe best thing to do would be to take the settings from flatplannel review and try them in store and see how things look.

[color=Blue]
post #191 of 354 Old 10-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post

Mostly by default the color temp from factory is set to "Cool" and that causes this issue. Maybe best thing to do would be to take the settings from flatplannel review and try them in store and see how things look.

It's so hard to evaluate a tv in most stores especially Frys.
post #192 of 354 Old 10-23-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's so hard to evaluate a tv in most stores especially Frys.

True, but unfortunately, that's the only option for most of us. Unless, you want to through the whole hassle of buying and returning.

[color=Blue]
post #193 of 354 Old 10-24-2011, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Amazon's price has dropped again!
post #194 of 354 Old 10-24-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Amazon's price has dropped again!

Amazon's price is still $3799.99. Cheaper price is from a 3rd party seller called "Video & Audio Center".

[color=Blue]
post #195 of 354 Old 10-24-2011, 11:26 PM

I have been waiting this one for a while. Finally got one from frys after they price matched with J&R for $2999. I did a side to side comparison with my 55lw5600 for sat hd programs, so far I see no benefit at all. Kind of disappointed. Will check bluray and 3D later, but given the very good quality of 55lw5600, I doubt there is much difference.
post #196 of 354 Old 10-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh87 View Post

I have been waiting this one for a while. Finally got one from frys after they price matched with J&R for $2999. I did a side to side comparison with my 55lw5600 for sat hd programs, so far I see no benefit at all. Kind of disappointed. Will check bluray and 3D later, but given the very good quality of 55lw5600, I doubt there is much difference.

You don't know what to look for. The black levels in the 5600 in no way shape or form compare to the 9800.

Make sure local dimming is on medium. Please provide photos of your side to side comparison displaying blacks.

Local dimming sets are not better than standard LED sets in all areas, sometimes you need to be a videophile to appreciate the difference.

Some people state they have no flashlights or clouding with edge lights when we all know they do.

Televisioninfo.com showed the 5600 to have very poor black levels and the worst
Contrast of only 1229:1 while the Sony EX720 had 5376:1, 4 times better.

The 5600 is not by any standards a high end set.
post #197 of 354 Old 10-25-2011, 04:11 AM

Quote:

This is precisely the kind of information I've been looking for. I've been sitting on the fence waiting for opinions on the 9800 (there are plenty for the 5600!). But as Videkid mentioned, have you tried various settings? I believe the Nano thread has a few. Also, one poster stated that ''Brightness'' should not be set higher than 50 otherwise you'll get a less-than-stellar black level. I am also waiting for another individual who will be sharing his observations sometime today. For me, the money is not the object...worth the money is.
post #198 of 354 Old 10-25-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:

You don't know what to look for. The black levels in the 5600 in no way shape or form compare to the 9800.

Make sure local dimming is on medium. Please provide photos of your side to side comparison displaying blacks.

Local dimming sets are not better than standard LED sets in all areas, sometimes you need to be a videophile to appreciate the difference.

Some people state they have no flashlights or clouding with edge lights when we all know they do.

Televisioninfo.com showed the 5600 to have very poor black levels and the worst
Contrast of only 1229:1 while the Sony EX720 had 5376:1, 4 times better.

The 5600 is not by any standards a high end set.

Videkid: I thank you for your comments as I continue to decide which LG model to purchase. A couple of observations from my part...I noticed on Televisioninfo.com that the calibrated settings included Local Dimming as ''off.'' I believe that would make a significant difference in black levels. As a matter-of-fact I re-read Chad B's review of the 5600 Here are a few quotes: ''I felt in most instances, with the Lw5600's local dimming on high, black levels were very good.'' ''There was no question that, with darker images, turning the setting on high transformed the black levels and contrast from mediocre to very good.'' ''Black level with local dimming on high, medium or low was well below .01fL With local dimming off, it measured a poor .0786fL.'' He also went on to say that the side effects of zone dimming (i.e clouding) disappeared with normal room lighting. Don't get me wrong here...I am not trying to justify the purchase of any particular model. LG will be my choice thanks to their passive 3d. And again, personally, money doesn't enter the picture...at least not that much!!! But dollar-for-dollar does. Well, just some thoughts. Will be looking forward to some feedback from posters later today.
post #199 of 354 Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
It costs quite a bit to obtain a set that allows good black levels and shadow detail in a totally dark viewing environment.

If you are into that type of content, you will find yourself on a never ending search for the set that eeks the most detail out of pictures where detail is hard to see.

Most viewers don't use their sets in a totally dark viewing room. Unless your viewing choices are limited to dark films, many viewers merely tolerate dark scenes waiting for something to appear on the screen that has some contrast and color.
post #200 of 354 Old 10-25-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

It costs quite a bit to obtain a set that allows good black levels and shadow detail in a totally dark viewing environment.

If you are into that type of content, you will find yourself on a never ending search for the set that eeks the most detail out of pictures where detail is hard to see.

Most viewers don't use their sets in a totally dark viewing room. Unless your viewing choices are limited to dark films, many viewers merely tolerate dark scenes waiting for something to appear on the screen that has some contrast and color.

''Most viewers don't use their sets in a totally dark viewing room.'' This is why I think / believe that with decent ambient lighting and the proper settings the 5600 SHOULD come close in terms of black levels to the 9800 even though they are in different ''ball parks.'' But, again, I'm just guessing. Will wait for some reviews to filter in.
post #201 of 354 Old 10-25-2011, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

''Most viewers don't use their sets in a totally dark viewing room.'' This is why I think / believe that with decent ambient lighting and the proper settings the 5600 SHOULD come close in terms of black levels to the 9800 even though they are in different ''ball parks.'' But, again, I'm just guessing. Will wait for some reviews to filter in.

Comparing the 5600 to the 9800 is like comparing a VW Beatle to a Porsche 911, it is silly. It does NOT come close and you do not need the lights off with this comparison as the 5600 does not even produce good blacks.

You can try and fool yourself thou. The reviews are already in on black levels and your comparisons are silly.
post #202 of 354 Old 10-25-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:

Comparing the 5600 to the 9800 is like comparing a VW Beatle to a Porsche 911, it is silly. It does NOT come close and you do not need the lights off with this comparison as the 5600 does not even produce good blacks.

You can try and fool yourself thou. The reviews are already in on black levels and your comparisons are silly.

Thank you for your very kind words!
post #203 of 354 Old 10-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you for your very kind words!

Not trying to be mean, its just the truth. If you put statements like you have up expect a response.
post #204 of 354 Old 10-25-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Not trying to be mean, its just the truth. If you put statements like you have up expect a response.

OK, point taken. I am just thinking out loud as I write these posts. Having said that allow me to post a few other rambling thoughts...not everyone on AVS Forum is a videophile. Some of us enjoy a great picture but not necessarily a stellar one. Secondly, reading the few reviews that are in thus far cast some serious doubts about this T.V. especially at the current price-point. Again, I don't mind spending some serious money but I want to make sure that this serious money is well-spent. Thirdly I am waiting for further reviews from jh87 and emmat 2011 (who, initially, had a favorable opinion of the 9800). Also of note; Chad B from HiDef Junkies (who is a videoplie) allows for one to question just how much better the 9800 over the ''lesser'' 5600 / 6500 models. Not that their reviews will seal the deal but they help in determining which LG model gets my credit card. And lastly, and I too am not trying to be mean, but why are you so zealous in defending this set? What may be ''truth'' for one may not apply to all. That is the nature of this hobby.
Truthfully, ''thank you'' for your input.
post #205 of 354 Old 10-25-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Comparing the 5600 to the 9800 is like comparing a VW Beatle to a Porsche 911

I was hoping this is the case for vast price difference, however, I am not quite sure at this point. If you take a look at the massive 5600 owner thread, you can find lots of reviewers quite happy with the 5600 in spite of the mediocre reviews from many professional sites.

The way that you talk like you have own both sets, but a quick search indicates that you own neither.
post #206 of 354 Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was hoping this is the case for vast price difference, however, I am not quite sure at this point. If you take a look at the massive 5600 owner thread, you can find lots of reviewers quite happy with the 5600 in spite of the mediocre reviews from many professional sites.

The way that you talk like you have own both sets, but a quick search indicates that you own neither.

Im sure they are happy, not everyone needs the best black levels.
post #207 of 354 Old 10-25-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:

jh87...if you have any other comments, I would be looking forward to it. One quick question...did you set the bright level on the 9800 down to 50 or less. One poster said that this would make a difference in the black level. Thanks in advance.
post #208 of 354 Old 10-25-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Im sure they are happy, not everyone needs the best black levels.

I have spend extensive time to set up my 5600. My brightness is at 46, and local dimming at medium for sat hd programs. The black level is quite good but still not at the same level as my old Panasonic plasma. Since I only consider passive methods for 3D, I have been tracking the 9800 all this time and hoping this is the one.
post #209 of 354 Old 10-25-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:

I have spend extensive time to set up my 5600. My brightness is at 46, and local dimming at medium for sat hd programs. The black level is quite good but still not at the same level as my old Panasonic plasma. Since I only consider passive methods for 3D, I have been tracking the 9800 all this time and hoping this is the one.

jh87...another perhaps not so quick question...you mentioned that you spent a lot of time calibrating the 5600. Was there any recommended settings you followed or did you come up with your own?
post #210 of 354 Old 10-25-2011, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
While specs drive purchase decisions for many, usability factors are often more important.

For example, in many typical home environments, the matte screen of the 5600 is infinitely more environment friendly than the glossy finish of the nano sets.

This has been one of the weak points of plasma technology, where you are forced to view an image of yourself watching the set, in addition to the content playing on the set itself.

Some designs fit well into a room. Others require the room to be built around the set.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page