Toshiba 55TL515U or LG 55LW6500? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2011, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been going back and forth on whether to get a 55" or 65" TV. I think I'm ok with the 55" and now I need to pick which of these two I want.

I've read the threads over and over again that deal with these two TV's separately. I still can't make up my mind.

I could have sworn I saw somewhere that it said the panels in these two TV's were exactly the same. If that's the case then there should be no differences correct?

I also am under the impression that 99% of the people that love a TV don't respond so you're more likely to hear negatives than positives.

Any thoughts on someone who has work with both TV's? I'd love to hear it. The price difference between these two right now is about $500 so it's pretty significant.

Thanks for your time and help

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I do not have any personal experience with either models but from what I've read online, both TVs have identical panels but what differentiates LG is the software and the firmware which gives it better performance than the Toshiba. In majority of the reviews LG was praised for its performance and features but that's not the case with Toshiba.

Personally, I would go with LG.

[color=Blue]
psn id: hunter4life
Live Gamertag: huntre4life (notice "re" not "er" in hunter)
Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks.. I appreciate the reply.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshFink View Post

I've been going back and forth on whether to get a 55" or 65" TV. I think I'm ok with the 55" and now I need to pick which of these two I want.

I've read the threads over and over again that deal with these two TV's separately. I still can't make up my mind.

I could have sworn I saw somewhere that it said the panels in these two TV's were exactly the same. If that's the case then there should be no differences correct?

I also am under the impression that 99% of the people that love a TV don't respond so you're more likely to hear negatives than positives.

Any thoughts on someone who has work with both TV's? I'd love to hear it. The price difference between these two right now is about $500 so it's pretty significant.

Josh

I was also previously considering the Toshiba after I decided on going with Polarized 3D technology instead of Shutter. I currently own the 55LW6500.

The main things I like about Toshiba are 1) the nice brushed metal bezel, 2) price.

I came to realize after buying the LG though, there are several LG-specific things that I appreciate:
1) Bluetooth Magic Wand remote
2) Smoother, faster smart TV interface with Apps, Premium services (facebook, netflix, etc)
3) SOLID media streaming (DLNA) capabilities, playing the latest formats like MKV, etc.
4) Fast performance - TV turns on immediately, instead of 15-20 seconds for the Tosh (from what some people have said).
5) Relative reliability (seems some received some Toshibas that turned out to be lemons, so far haven't seen that in LG).
Old 09-27-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_puppet View Post

I was also previously considering the Toshiba after I decided on going with Polarized 3D technology instead of Shutter. I currently own the 55LW6500.

The main things I like about Toshiba are 1) the nice brushed metal bezel, 2) price.

I came to realize after buying the LG though, there are several LG-specific things that I appreciate:
1) Bluetooth Magic Wand remote
2) Smoother, faster smart TV interface with Apps, Premium services (facebook, netflix, etc)
3) SOLID media streaming (DLNA) capabilities, playing the latest formats like MKV, etc.
4) Fast performance - TV turns on immediately, instead of 15-20 seconds for the Tosh (from what some people have said).
5) Relative reliability (seems some received some Toshibas that turned out to be lemons, so far haven't seen that in LG).

Good advice and points. Thank you
Old 10-05-2011, 11:34 PM

I will be that person who loves his tv and still replies. I totally agree with hollywood_puppet. I own a LW6500 and I absolutely love it. Of all 3D TVs, passive and active altogether, LG Cinema 3D has the best interface. It has most apps and contents available. (Samsung has recently added YouTube to its 3D TVs but Samsung doesn't have any exclusive contents offers for the users. LG has deals with sites like Hulu and Netflix to give exclusive deals to people who've already spent more than a thousand bucks on their tvs.)
I don't have a personal experience with Toshiba 3D TV but from what I've read on forums, blogs, reviews, etc., it seems like LG's performance is superior to that of Toshiba's.
It really comes down to personal preference so you gotta decide if higher speed, higher performance, solid interface and remote or $500 has more value to you.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshFink View Post

Josh

Initially the savings of $500 might be more appealing. However over the life of the TV, you'll grow to appreciate the tech edge and quality that the LG gives you.
Toshiba use to be a world leader; I had one of their sets and it was great.
Now they've fallen back into the pack while LG appears to be climbing.
And if you look at it as spending an extra $15/month for two years on TV, then you've paid for the LG.

Just some thoughts.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for all the replies. While the toshiba looks like a good tv. I went with the 65" LG.

Tags
Lg Infinia 55lw6500 Hdtv , Lg Infinia 47lw6500 , Toshiba 55 Inch 3d Led Lcd Hdtv 55tl515u